One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-23 11:21:09

Toxic
Banned

JASON MADE THE CURSING SYSTEM BETTER!

Well thank you Jason. I am really happy to know that since the target of my response was twisted you have changed the cursing system. I guess if I target twisted in anyway you will nerf it. Anyways the new cursing and fences bring multiple ideas for griefing. I totally agree with oblong that the new change made griefing a whole lot easier. I can finally post photos of my life without getting cursed by 20 people in discord.... oh im banned there. I can finally post pictures of my griefing lives on forum without get cursed by 20 people! Thankyou i can also go to other villages and grief there without anyone being able to curse me. Im also very good at killing people in the middle of town and avoiding getting stabbed. again thank you jason.

Ill probably make another post on how to find coordinates soon. SO more people can use this trick.

HA HA HA!

#2 2019-04-23 14:40:32

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: JASON MADE THE CURSING SYSTEM BETTER!

It may be adjusted more in the future.  And btw, before you get all giddy, it's not even live yet!

Hopefully, your inter-village antics will encourage people to fence the whole town and keep your ass out for good.

But yeah, I never intended people to be cursed by the masses after posting screenshots.  I just kinda phoned that part of the curse design in ("It's server-wide, done") and moved on.

And if you've found some new coordinate leaks, please let me know so that I can fix them.

#3 2019-04-23 14:50:28

Tarr
Banned

>Build fence around entire village turning the village into a giant death trap as someone can just grief the gates and lock you in for 50 minutes

OR

>Shoot some random if they cause trouble.

Of course no one is going to build giant fences around their villages that's bad play due to how inefficient it makes getting in and out of the village while also risking someone placing impassible objects in front of the gates. Most griefing comes from within your family so why are you worried about a guy outside? It's not going to be a guy 2k away by horse griefing your gates it will be someone from within the village doing it.

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2019-04-23 14:54:12

CatX

jasonrohrer wrote:

Hopefully, your inter-village antics will encourage people to fence the whole town and keep your ass out for good.

To be honest, it seems too much of an effort to keep that many fences from decaying, and adding family members to the gates one by one.

I think the curse system for the most part works well as it is. Maybe there could be a difference between cursing killers and cursing non-killers. If Twisted didn't murder anyone, but still got a bunch of curses within one hour, perhaps those could count for less? Or maybe curses given in a different location, say 1k tiles away, could count for less?

#5 2019-04-23 14:54:57

Whatever

I tried building fences around villages and it doesnt work well.

A. people dont like it

B. fences will decay too quickly

#6 2019-04-23 15:06:41

Spoonwood

I wish Toxic were wrong on this one.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#7 2019-04-23 17:20:17

futurebird

Whatever wrote:

I tried building fences around villages and it doesnt work well.

A. people dont like it

B. fences will decay too quickly

Same I tried to fence a town and the upkeep was horrible and that had to be my whole life, and people were always putting holes in it the moment I walked away. I was too annoying to bother with.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#8 2019-04-23 17:50:48

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Fences must be upkept once per hour.  Someone walks the perimeter and does it, once per hour.  It doesn't take a whole life.  Not sure what the problem is.  Gates never need to be upkept, as long as they are inherited.

Griefing the gate by blocking it could be a problem, but that's a universal problem, not unique to gates.

As far as the bother of assigning people to the gate, if everyone assigns their kids to it, that's all that's needed.  I.e., the burden can be spread.  Or you could grant people leave access as-needed.  Most kids don't need to leave the village early.

#9 2019-04-23 18:08:15

Tarr
Banned

Yes, but you make this sound like the threat of being griefed is from outside of your village when reality it's the people who are born from within going to be the ones who grief you. It won't be the random Eves or travelers who entrap you in your prison it's your kids, you know the folk who spawn within your giant gated area.

Sure it makes sense to gut curses when we have some nonlethal way to deal with people while also being able to place them in a prison but that's not what we currently have. Right now with how it looks you either roll over and be someones bitch in the attempt to seek out punishment for their misdeeds or you remove them and they get off without consequences. Murdering someone needs to actually do something, extended area bans, extended ban times, something. Murdering someone should equate to saying "I absolutely do not want to be around you." If I deal with someone one life, I really don't want to deal with them doing the same stuff in the next life.

As I said before, sure you would have some innocent players screwed over by being murdered but most players aren't getting murdered every single life. However, if you're getting murdered every life that should be a sign you are either doing something people dislike or you're the worlds most unlucky player.

fug it’s Tarr.

#10 2019-04-23 18:09:30

Booklat1

Tarr wrote:

Yes, but you make this sound like the threat of being griefed is from outside of your village when reality it's the people who are born from within going to be the ones who grief you. It won't be the random Eves or travelers who entrap you in your prison it's your kids, you know the folk who spawn within your giant gated area.

Sure it makes sense to gut curses when we have some nonlethal way to deal with people while also being able to place them in a prison but that's not what we currently have. Right now with how it looks you either roll over and be someones bitch in the attempt to seek out punishment for their misdeeds or you remove them and they get off without consequences. Murdering someone needs to actually do something, extended area bans, extended ban times, something. Murdering someone should equate to saying "I absolutely do not want to be around you." If I deal with someone one life, I really don't want to deal with them doing the same stuff in the next life.

As I said before, sure you would have some innocent players screwed over by being murdered but most players aren't getting murdered every single life. However, if you're getting murdered every life that should be a sign you are either doing something people dislike or you're the worlds most unlucky player.

yup

#11 2019-04-23 18:45:31

Solbusaur

jasonrohrer wrote:

Ha, belltown border control smile

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#12 2019-04-23 19:12:25

Spoonwood

Tarr wrote:

Yes.

Personally, I've started to wonder about Jason's honesty with wanting to people to really care about their lineages with recent proposed changes and reviewing other updates.  Alright, let's not attribute to malice what we can attribute to stupidity.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#13 2019-04-23 20:46:31

Stylingirl

Toxic is right Jason, the curse changes benefits no one besides griefers, even if players do somehow manage to maintain fences. There are still mods that tell people exactly where other towns are and towns that already have mixed lineages and you can't tell who your relative is createss situations that are easily taken advantage of. At this point you should honestly just ban the most notorious griefers because they don't add any entertainment or drama to this game, just annoyance. It won't spark wars or feuds, it will only encourage single killers that destroy towns.

#14 2019-04-23 21:32:10

Toxic
Banned

Stylingirl wrote:

Toxic is right Jason, the curse changes benefits no one besides griefers, even if players do somehow manage to maintain fences. There are still mods that tell people exactly where other towns are and towns that already have mixed lineages and you can't tell who your relative is createss situations that are easily taken advantage of. At this point you should honestly just ban the most notorious griefers because they don't add any entertainment or drama to this game, just annoyance. It won't spark wars or feuds, it will only encourage single killers that destroy towns.

Ban griefers. Not the best of ideas. Griefing is a part of the game I have no idea why pit bulls were added, if they were added why we can make them mean pit bulls. Why snowballs could kill in the past. It was encouraging grifters. Banning grifters won’t result in anything. If this game represents real life then crime is a part of real life. And if grifters have more skills then normal player it’s too bad for you.

If 1 person can a kill a town, that does NOT deserve to live

I’ve personally fended of many grifters when I’m not griefing. We had a twin griefing party. I stabbed one and when. The other one healed his friend since they had hidden pads somewhere. Then he tried to stab me but I got away, then I waited till they stabbed someone then I healed that person and stabbed the grifters, it’s whole point of having dedicated guards. If village use dedicated guards griefing would not be easier. Guards aren’t useless.

Last edited by Toxic (2019-04-23 21:32:34)

#15 2019-04-23 21:35:11

Turnipseed

Toxic wrote:
Stylingirl wrote:

Ban griefers. Not the best of ideas. Griefing is a part of the game I have no idea why pit bulls were added, if they were added why we can make them mean pit bulls. Why snowballs could kill in the past. It was encouraging grifters. Banning grifters won’t result in anything. If this game represents real life then crime is a part of real life. And if grifters have more skills then normal player it’s too bad for you.

If 1 person can a kill a town, that does NOT deserve to live

I’ve personally fended of many grifters when I’m not griefing. We had a twin griefing party. I stabbed one and when. The other one healed his friend since they had hidden pads somewhere. Then he tried to stab me but I got away, then I waited till they stabbed someone then I healed that person and stabbed the grifters, it’s whole point of having dedicated guards. If village use dedicated guards griefing would not be easier. Guards aren’t useless.

Griefer cant spell griefer.....

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#16 2019-04-23 22:31:05

Solbusaur

I mean it was probably autocorrect or something. I wouldn't bring in grammar to an argument, it seems like a cheap way of getting back at someone

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#17 2019-04-23 23:52:47

CatX

jasonrohrer wrote:

Fences must be upkept once per hour.  Someone walks the perimeter and does it, once per hour.  It doesn't take a whole life.  Not sure what the problem is.  Gates never need to be upkept, as long as they are inherited.

Griefing the gate by blocking it could be a problem, but that's a universal problem, not unique to gates.

As far as the bother of assigning people to the gate, if everyone assigns their kids to it, that's all that's needed.  I.e., the burden can be spread.  Or you could grant people leave access as-needed.  Most kids don't need to leave the village early.

Big fences are hard to maintain. They will likely be built at different times as the village expands, so they will deteriorate at different times. Sometimes, you have to go around the fence and hit it from the other side, because something blocks it on the side you're on. And sometimes the village is hit with a famine, a lack of some resource, or just a drought of daughters, and people will be too busy to uphold a large fenced area.

As for granting people access, in a mid-sized village there should be at least four gates, and truth to be told as a mother I can't always keep track of how many kids I've had, let alone remember their names.

Maybe it would be worthwhile if we had a 'clan gate' command to assign a gate to everyone, like "family owns this" to let all descendants from one Eve pass through.

But, as others have pointed out, the real threat still comes from within, not without. So all in all, I feel it's better for villages not to bother with outer fences.

They can still be good for smaller projects though.

#18 2019-04-24 00:01:23

CatX

But - if we did manage to create a fence around the town, and perhaps label it as the town's outer perimeter, it would be cool if we could excommunicate people. A way to force them out of the area, and revoke their access. As an alternative to killing, and also cursing perhaps.

#19 2019-04-24 00:04:17

futurebird

You are so right about it taking a lot of waling around to hit every part of the gate. For example you can't hit the corners from the inside. It always takes longer than I think it will and given we can only see a small area it's easy for someone to downgrade random bits of fence out of your view making holes and rendering the whole project pointless.

CatX wrote:

Maybe it would be worthwhile if we had a 'clan gate' command to assign a gate to everyone, like "family owns this" to let all descendants from one Eve pass through.

That's a brilliant idea! I think this combined with "banish NAME" would make the system more workable and make people less fence hostile. Most fences would be for you and your whole family, a benefit for the town. The one with the bow is just for me though.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#20 2019-04-24 16:47:42

Ace

jasonrohrer wrote:

Ideally kids would do what you tell them to, at least for a few minutes but that rarely happens. But the point about kids not leaving a village is something else, it also means griefers can't leave to make a bow or hide things outside the village without at least someone knowing who can go in and out.

Can people not make multiple gates? There doesn't have to be only 1 or 2 ways to go in or out of such a village.

#21 2019-04-24 16:56:54

DestinyCall

Ace wrote:

Ideally kids would do what you tell them to, at least for a few minutes but that rarely happens. But the point about kids not leaving a village is something else, it also means griefers can't leave to make a bow or hide things outside the village without at least someone knowing who can go in and out.

In the words of Rorschach ....

“None of you understand. I’m not locked up in here with YOU. You’re locked up in here with ME.”

#22 2019-04-25 04:25:11

Spiegel

Passport system.

Board footer