One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-22 11:19:35

breezeknight

so when do we get craftable zoom ?

the zoom mod is being used since months
there is no player who fames themselves to be a griefer & not using that mod !

i still play vanilla
i still am at a huge disadvantage because i am not able to see the iron vein, nor the wolves, nor find back to town without a home marker

already since the temp update & therefore players starting building more houses, the zoom mod started to get more traction
now with the fences update the "towns" look like a bare area with some dysfunctional half made workplaces surrounded by some scattered fenced areas
this wide spread areas are absolutely NOT BUILDABLE & NOT TRACKABLE as anything functional in game if the zoom mod is not being used
also since that last update & since everybody except me seems to be using the zoom mod, so there is hardly one home marker to be found, if any skewer at all, cause why use home marker, you find back home easily with a wider area visible !
try that without the zoom mod !

so
what should it be ?
if the zoom mod is that essential to the functionality of the game, then it should be included - as i already several times suggested,
as a CRAFTABLE ZOOM
or
the zoom mod has to be completely disabled to be used in game !!!

i am starting to feel like an idiot because i am playing vanilla
don't know how long i will be willing to endure this

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-04-22 13:39:24)

#2 2019-04-22 12:40:46

Spoonwood

Re: so when do we get craftable zoom ?

Both the Awbz mod and the hetuw mod are free.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2019-04-22 12:42:08

Wuatduhf

'craftable Zoom' option: Glasses.

Use a rock on molten glass to make 1 Convex lens
Use a rock (instead of hammer) on Hot Wrought Iron to craft crude frames. Hit it again before it cools and you get a monocle frame.

Monocle frame + 1 Convex lens = Monocle
Crude frames + 2 Convex lens (1 at a time) = Spectacles

Wearing them over the eyes could add a basic level of 'zoom' to the player that they could adjust by wearing/removing the glasses. Maybe they can be adjusted, idk. The lens could "become blurry", aka decay, after a couple hours, so they require glass upkeep to keep using them across generations.

#4 2019-04-22 12:44:50

futurebird

I agree the mods make asymmetric game play. I also do not use zoom (seems cheaty) but I’m about ready to give in too peer pressure.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#5 2019-04-22 13:12:58

Wuatduhf

Just so it's clear, I personally have used the two well-known mods that have Zoom functionality, and am currently using one of them now. The biggest thing for me personally was zoom; I understand & respect Jason's developing skills, but I personally cannot get myself to enjoy the constrained view after being able to zoom out and still be able to interact w/ the game. Resources are easier to find, cities are less difficult to navigate. Mobs at higher view distance are easier to spot (with the exception to mosquitoes), so even that becomes less of a danger. Its utility impacts just me, and indirectly the village because of how easier the gameplay experience is.

#6 2019-04-22 13:17:56

futurebird

I’ve tried the zoom mod and I think you are right the game is mostly more enjoyable with it on. Do we have any numbers on what percent of players are using it? To what extent are new players struggling because they don’t have it and can’t understand how many around them seem to be so much better at finding things?

---
omnem cibum costis

#7 2019-04-22 13:29:14

voy178

I could never play without it.

#8 2019-04-22 16:37:03

FeignedSanity

If I had to guess, probably never. If you want zoom, do it the same way everyone else does. I'm fairly certain that Jason has shut down the idea of adding it to the game pretty resolutely. Now I'd love to have it in as default, but I find I think it's very unlikely.

Also, I'd like to say, that if you want to "endure" the unmodded experience, then that's your choice. You can even be irritated that the game dev isn't adding the stuff that people say "improves the game". But why complain about it?

I really can't quite grasp your train of thinking, especially the "no game deserves to be saved by mods" argument. What does it matter? If people think the dish tastes better with salt, they can add the damn salt lol. You can also add the salt, it's your choice if you choose to eat it without. Maybe the chef thinks it tastes better with no salt. So you think he should change the dish or only serve to those that do not put any salt on it?

Your argument seems a little arrogant and entitled. If a game can be loved and enjoyed just by adding a little something, what does it matter who it came from? I also don't think you should complain about "enduring" a game that isn't developed the way you think it should be, that was your choice man. I don't know, the whole thing just seems odd, I can't wrap my head around it.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2019-04-22 16:54:19)

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#9 2019-04-22 16:51:19

Buggy

I like playing without the zoom mod. I find I pay more attention to the other people around me and it makes it more satisfying when you find iron or dodge a snake. Playing without zoom also makes the game more watchable on Twitch and YouTube imo, as when you can zoom in and out people tend to do it a lot.  Many people say they could not play the game without zoom so we need to have it if we want to keep a large portion of the player base happy. I would much rather zoom mod users stay in the game efficiently gathering resources and building cool buildings and I like the idea of an age based zoom or an object that adds zoom for base game purists.

#10 2019-04-22 16:59:33

DestinyCall

In another thread, it was suggested that zoom could be added in an age-related fashion.   So babies would have a narrow view range, but as you get older, you gain the ability to zoom out further.   Then as you start to age, your eye sight fails and your view range goes back to the current "normal range".      If you like the normal range, you don't have to zoom out, but it would give young hunters the ability to travel further from the village in search of iron or resources and help Eves who are scouting for a good location.

The only downside that I can see with this idea is that I will often times use zoom during infant-hood to scout the village and spy on people to stave off my boredom why waiting to age up.   Having a narrow baby view range would be a little sad, but it would also work will with the idea that children are weaker and more dependent on others.   I think it fits well with the game.

#11 2019-04-22 17:09:07

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Game looks like crap with the zoom mod, so it will never be official.

The hardcore players don't get this, but part of the game's widespread appeal is the close-in, personal nature of the whole thing.  Being able to see the characters and their interactions.

And furthermore, this is what makes the game so great for videos.

Note that none of the most popular videos are using the zoom mod.  Even Twisted, as into the game as he is, does not use the zoom mod in most of his videos.

In other words, if this game shipped, originally, with a 2x zoom by default (20x14 tiles visible instead of 10x7), I'm pretty sure the game would have made half the money that it made, and that it would be dead by now with no players or community.

So, yeah, if you're hardcore, feel free to use the zoom mod.

But please realize why it should not be rolled into the official game.

#12 2019-04-22 17:15:26

Booklat1

jasonrohrer wrote:

The hardcore players don't get this, but part of the game's widespread appeal is the close-in, personal nature of the whole thing.  Being able to see the characters and their interactions.

I mean, it would help if people actually used buildings/talked in close quarters

while the fov is obviously designed for that, buildibgs still see fringe use

#13 2019-04-22 17:23:45

Grim_Arbiter

jasonrohrer wrote:

Note that none of the most popular videos are using the zoom mod.  Even Twisted, as into the game as he is, does not use the zoom mod in most of his videos.

In other words, if this game shipped, originally, with a 2x zoom by default (20x14 tiles visible instead of 10x7), I'm pretty sure the game would have made half the money that it made, and that it would be dead by now with no players or community.

Fair points and pretty true.

But you can't see yourself adding a guard tower or some kind of looking tower eventually? If its something built, it shouldn't hurt the original view, and can be used as a tool.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#14 2019-04-22 17:29:34

FeignedSanity

FeignedSanity wrote:

I'm fairly certain that Jason has shut down the idea of adding it to the game pretty resolutely

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yep, lol.

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#15 2019-04-22 18:17:41

breezeknight

jasonrohrer wrote:

players use the zoom mode not because they are hardcore but because they like to have it easier

to play vanilla is hardcore

most towns are built with the help of the zoom mod & i am quite often just lost because i have absolutely no orientation,
now with the fences update it became even more apparent, players build not only the fenced areas but the entire towns while using zoom mod, they are far more spread out, as they would be if using a farther view, not a narrow vanilla one

& if you refuse to include zoom into the game, then you should make it impossible to use the mod or at least harder for the mod players & not for those who play the game vanilla
the reality in game is - vanilla players are in disadvantage hmm

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-04-22 18:17:58)

#16 2019-04-22 18:23:15

Spoonwood

Buggy wrote:

I like playing without the zoom mod. I find I pay more attention to the other people around me and it makes it more satisfying when you find iron or dodge a snake. Playing without zoom also makes the game more watchable on Twitch and YouTube imo, as when you can zoom in and out people tend to do it a lot.  Many people say they could not play the game without zoom so we need to have it if we want to keep a large portion of the player base happy. I would much rather zoom mod users stay in the game efficiently gathering resources and building cool buildings and I like the idea of an age based zoom or an object that adds zoom for base game purists.

On the contrary, I've preferred to watch players who use a zoom feature on Twitch (or would on YouTube).  Oftentimes even I won't view someone if they don't have a zoom feature.  I just don't like how it looks that close up.  That said, to each their own, and that's how I feel about things.  No idea how common that sort of feeling is.

Also, with a zoom mod, it's possible to play zoomed all the way in if that's your preference.  Both the hetuw mod and the Awbz mod just give you more options.  Suit yourself though, of course.

I also won't be building buildings.  No plans to at least.  I might help someone to build a building on a low population server (I've done that, but that's it), but that's a favor to such a person.  I don't like them.  Wood flooring gives me lag.  And they just aren't useful (unless building in desert or jungle like Tarr has... but that would be late game at best... there's bunches of other good projects also). Really almost all buildings end up as counter-productive.  Stone walls?  But the shovel breaks faster and you break a chisel perhaps.  Buildings around a forge can inhibit things seriously.  And all that wood flooring, well, I'm in favor of ripping it up for buckets, carts, or sledges in a neutral temperature place.  Also, those butt logs used to make the floors might have gotten used to make wooden shoes earlier.

Danish Clinch.

#17 2019-04-22 18:31:50

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

LOL, what?  What level of zoom are you talking about?  You can zoom in to the same level as the default game gives you, so I have no idea as to what your statement refers to.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Note that none of the most popular videos are using the zoom mod.

The most popular streams that happen on Twitch happen when someone who is just playing OHOL for the first or second time tries the game out.  That person will NOT have a zoom mod, because he or she doesn't even know about those mods yet.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Nope.  Your argument fails, because that doesn't imply anything against not having the capability to zoom in and out as a default.  You've confused having a zoom feature with actually zooming out further than the most zoomed in feature in your position.  Players could start zoomed in as they do right now, not get told about the feature by the tutorial, and then only zoom out later if they choose to do so.  Or not zoom out.  If they liked the game more zoomed in, then I think they would play that way.

Anyways Jason, maybe you should actually play with the hetuw mod or the Awbz mod sometime for yourself to confirm that you can play fully zoomed in with such mods.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-04-22 18:33:46)

Danish Clinch.

#18 2019-04-22 18:45:05

DestinyCall

breezeknight wrote:

& if you refuse to include zoom into the game, then you should make it impossible to use the mod or at least harder for the mod players & not for those who play the game vanilla
the reality in game is - vanilla players are in disadvantage hmm

- - -

If Jason blocked out the zoom mod from working, I'd probably just stop playing OHOL.  That would be a deal breaker for me.

#19 2019-04-22 19:06:51

futurebird

So, I'm using the zoom mod now and I feel like I have a headache that just cleared up. I would be so refreshing to have a watch tower. Or the ability to zoom only when standing still. Or the ability to use zoom from ages 7-40 as a representation of eyesight.

I agree the game looks worse (and plays worse) zoomed out, but being able to stop and look around and find an item rather than snaking around covering the same ground is much less stressful and makes the game more fun.

I do think that the full zoom mod leads to a kind of "zoom addiction" and a tendency to abuse it by just using it too much. But, it's really refreshing and it's a joy to see most of your town all in one screen for the first time. Kind of gives you a little boost of pride to see it all.

Another notion is to save zoomed photos of the town to the family tree. I really wish I could see what happened to the places I built and (as I've mentioned before) the "what you can't go back?" issue is the main reason I can't get my husband or friends to play "she's playing that game where you build a town and never see it again" that's what they say.

I really think the family tree is key to gameplay and I don't know if I'd play as much without it. I love the recent changes with lineage depth, but I'm just so hungry to know more about what happened to my kids and the little great-grand kid I have been lucky enough to meet from time to time.

I don't want to go back, but some images something...

---
omnem cibum costis

#20 2019-04-22 19:07:54

breezeknight

DestinyCall wrote:

If Jason blocked out the zoom mod from working, I'd probably just stop playing OHOL.  That would be a deal breaker for me.

yeah, slowly it becomes a deal breaker for me

town after town it becomes apparent that players i play with are using a zoom mod & they expect me to act as they do, they expect me to find stuff, to find my way while i can't see further than few tiles away

& the number of people using a zoom mod is growing, since the fence update it's extremely apparent
nobody could build such widely spread towns & big buildings without a zoom
one of the reasons why i don't build, i can't see where's what

no zoom, no map
& i am punished for playing vanilla - great hmm

- - -

#21 2019-04-22 19:20:03

breezeknight

@futurebird

if even you are now using a zoom mod then that's it for me then sad

no place for a vanilla player because Jason wants to stay in his fantasy view of how players play but refuses to back vanilla players

- - -

#22 2019-04-22 19:27:12

Buggy

The game still looks really good at one level of zoom out (not sure if this is 2 or 1.5). In fact some of the textures are easier on the eyes at that level imo. Zoom just looks really bad at high levels with the unloaded chunks and when you move in between levels of zoom it is a bit jarring. Banning zoom would be terrible so many of the most helpful players use it.

Last edited by Buggy (2019-04-22 19:28:08)

#23 2019-04-22 19:28:12

InSpace

I used to play the game normally, I would run and before I have time to react get killed by wild animals almost 50% of all my lives. And I would just be running around searching nonstop for the thing I needed, like a rabbit biome, trees whatever.
And I am strongly against mods in almost all aspects when it comes to games, but the zoom out mod feels so mandatory for me to be able to enjoy the game at all.

Without it is a walking around being lost game. The game should at least be able to be zoomed out twice as much as vanilla.

#24 2019-04-22 19:31:03

Solbusaur

How about 1.5x? Just a liiii'l bit more visibility?

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#25 2019-04-22 19:57:14

futurebird

Agree that zoom makes the game easier. It's not "hardcore" it's just easier and in some cases it kills some of the challenge. But, there is a limit to how much frustration from searching people can take. It's a relief to be able to see. I wouldn't mind a more limited zoom mod, though. Because there are some things I like better about the game without it and if I have it I'm just going to use it all the time.

---
omnem cibum costis

Board footer