One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-21 14:53:43

The_Anabaptist

Meta: Proper kitchen design

I've been working in some horribly designed kitchen spaces lately.  Here is my suggestions for improving them:

#1) A two room design, one for actual baking and the other for kitchen prep work

The actually bakery side only needs to be big enough to house the kiln, a stack of kindling, a fire stick, and enough baskets filled with ready to bake goods (pies, raw mutton, tires, etc.)  Finished product should be moved out of this room right after a baking session is over to discourage non-baker traffic.

The prep room needs enough tiles to lay out: 4 plates, 4 bowls of whatever is being mashed (most likely rabbits), a bucket or well, a bowl of wheat/flour, a basket storing: a round rock, a sharp rock, and a knife.   In addition there should be enough storage for additional raw food materials, baskets, bowls of wheat/flour and empty plates.  You prep 4 crusts, you mash 4 bowls, you fill 4 crusts, you put them in baskets, layout 4 more plates and fill 4 more bowls and repeat.  When the baskets are filled, transfer them to the bakery side.  Ideally the two sides would be split by boxes, to save on walking back and forth.

#2) If you insist on a one room design, don't bring in items that need mashing.  All mashing should be done outside and brought in, preferably in a cart, when available pie crusts are ready.

The_Anabaptist

#2 2019-04-22 01:03:43

voy178

Re: Meta: Proper kitchen design

Give us a sketch, it's easier to get your point across with pictures.

#3 2019-04-22 02:11:36

Tarr
Banned

I decided to just try to toss something together based off a two room design. Basically the southern room is a classic cold biome building designed to make the best use of the fires range within its reach (that top wall can have boxes along it if you want but the fire in this exact set up needed to be there or fire bled heat into northern room. That could be fixed with changing from a straight hall to a jagged hall.) The northern room is based off the more recent heated biome building style which allows workers to not worry about having clothes and what not.

Prep work could be done in the southern room or be used for a nursery with the fire essentially working as your anti-shock mechanic for walking between biomes (Swapping between biomes will cause your temp to flip however, by using the fire you'll just go from perfect to room temperature slowly.) North room is obviously for baking/storage though you have room for five boxes storage in the southern room as well.

lWd523x.png

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2019-04-22 03:01:01

Laalala

Naa. Maybe for an ideal work place and one baker, but bakeries get littered with all sorts of stuff people bring in and drop to get food, plus baskets of mutton and firewood. If you have multiple bakers then you need way more squares. If they are making the new foods then even more squares are needed. Prawns are best prepped and cooked outside someplace but people bring them to the bakery anyway. Wounded people come to the bakery too (or get murdered inside the bakery) so it is a good place to store bandages and thread, that takes a few more squares including space for the bones of those who are not healed in time.

I build a bakery with the consideration that it inevitably will become a nursery too: it is warmer from the ovens,  often it is the only place in town that keeps a fire going and it has food readily available to the moms, especially the moms who go gray while nursing their last kid need emergency rations. (hopefully popcorn not pies.)  It's like with house parties, people often congregate in the kitchen.

Once the moms move in, a small bakery becomes useless because half the squares are littered with clothes, food, firewood or bones and people are standing in front of the items you need to work with. Old people often come to the nursery to say goodbye and give their stuff to the babies, they die there.

On the plus side, the moms will help keep the fire going and sometimes (rarely) help to bake, or guard against theft. 
(More often they wont even bother to pick up their sudden infant death trash babies. )
You can ask the babies to become bakery suppliers, some will be new and looking for a job.

My bakery design is a long rectangle with a stone square for permanent fire and nursery at one end and ovens at the other. Ovens need to be a few squares away from the wall to allow storage boxes and baskets of uncooked pie to sit behind.  A horizontal one is more efficient in terms of people standing, not hiding workplace squares, but a vertical ones with doors in the middle, have better traffic flow.

I usually keep one basket of cooked pies outside, and bring one to the nursery but if you keep them all outside they are vulnerable to greed and griefers, especially since the property walls update and hoarders.

#5 2019-04-22 10:50:23

breezeknight

firstly
since walls don't have any use for any workplace other than to add some weird aesthetics (who has time for that while you're starving cause you have only your butt covered with a loin cloth)
so atm, a perfect bakery is without walls
secondly
the wooden floor is necessary to indicate where the bakery is, same as wooden floor indicates where a berry farm ends & that it shouldn't just grow infinitely

if kept to a minimum then the perfect extent is probably about 7x7

in the schematics below
X indicates wooden floor
the oven is placed not in the middle & not at the upper line but 2 tiles down ( O )
B are boxes for the stuff one might use & eventually already baked pies, 2 + 2 boxes at the upper line & same at the lower line
k indicates a place for one pile of kindling, kindling can be placed also in the 3 free spaces near the boxes
under the oven enough space for several wanna be bakers to spread out & do their uncoordinated stuff
usually there is no real need for an own bakery fire since often there is nursery nearby or a forge or a main fire

XBBXBBX
XXXkXXX
XXXOXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XBBXBBX

if you want to have an own bakery fire ( F ) included then the schematics could be extended to 9x8
giving more space for potential boxes as well
F is a good place to set up an own bakery fire

XBBBXBBBX
XXXXkXXXX
XXXXOXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
XFXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
XBBBXBBBX

also
i am making suggestions along how this game is actually being played, what the actual, real interactions are in game, by how players interact in game & which is not really changeable
wishing for more disciplined & orderly players, who behave reasonably is delusional

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-04-22 10:52:17)

#6 2019-04-22 12:58:07

The_Anabaptist

First, I'm surprised people are thinking of a vertical layout when I was thinking a horizontal layout.

I'll take a shot at making a text grid without outside walls/doors.
X = Tile
B = Box
T = Basket with Tools
U = Bucket
K = Kiln
S = Kindling or Firestick

1234567890A
XSSSUTXXXXB
XXKXBXXXXXB
XXXXBXXXXXB
XXXXBXXXXXB

Rows 1-4 Bakery = Should be plenty of space to hold kindling, set down basket full of uncooked pies for a full baking.  Honestly, I think it could be done in three columns, but I figured there would be too many objections.  Completed foods get moved out.  I envision completed food / fire to be outside this setup to keep people from hanging out.  If they aren't hanging out, they aren't dying and dropping clothes as often.

Row 5 = Boxes and Bucket/Well = This is for the prep room to place filled uncooked baskets and for the bakery to retrieve them.  Bucket should allow access back/forth between sides.

Rows 6-0 Prep = 6: baskets to fill, 7: flour bowls to get wet, 8: piecrusts to fill, 9: bowls to mash, 0: baskets of mashable items to unpack

Row A = Boxes filled with extra plates, bowls of flour and baskets of mashable items waiting for processing.

It may not be perfect in this form, but its a good start to what I'm trying to achieve with this meta thread.

The_Anabaptist

#7 2019-04-22 14:37:45

futurebird

One baker can work much faster than two or more. I can make a storm of pies, but only if I can get other people to stop moving items. The best way to help a bakery is to ask what supplies the baker wants and bring those. I often do this, but have never had anyone ask me when I was the one making pies.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#8 2019-04-22 16:08:55

Buggy

If someone marks areas for shrimp and medical outside the bakery it might solve some of the clutter problems. Shrimpers know they need plates and a knife to prepare the shrimp for cooking and the first place that comes to mind is the bakery. If babies are within sight of a medical station most will know where to go if they get injured. I like when people make the wooden cross  on the ground to label where the pads and thread go. This station could easily be near the berry patch instead of the bakery as most small children go there before finding clothes and a job.

#9 2019-04-23 04:09:49

Psykout

Considering that with a good setup a baker can fire about 30 pies or so on their own from a single lighting of the oven I do not think that you need to allot space for firebrands or kindling piles. Other food does not need to be kept inside the bakery. At minimum you want two to three rows of four empty and space for bucket of water and a bowl to be set down. Having extra space just means that objects unrelated to food production will end up in the production space.

I make small bakeries. When the bakery is cluttered i have no more than maybe 6 tiles to clear out. If no one is in my way, i can nearly fire 36 pies by myself. I do not like cooking in food storage bakeries that are 8x8, it feels like wasted space and resources.

Board footer