One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2019-04-19 01:01:51

DestinyCall

Re: Can someone check the new property fence content?

Also, any chance we could get these sticks made from yew branch instead of long branches?   The long branch already has a ton of useful applications.   Yew branches are under-utilized by comparison.

#52 2019-04-19 01:31:38

Redram

DestinyCall wrote:

What makes you think they are infinite?

I wasn't seeing any of it on onetech (and I still don't), so I was just going based off Jason's previously stated objective to make the fences basically free.  If you only got a limited number from a branch, that would make them decidedly not-free, especially in the eve camp stage where, depending on how you settled, every straight branch can be precious for quite awhile.  Even if limited though, if the branch produced any more than one stick, and the sticks could become kindling, it would be unbalancing.

DestinyCall wrote:

Also, any chance we could get these sticks made from yew branch instead of long branches?   The long branch already has a ton of useful applications.   Yew branches are under-utilized by comparison.

Strongly agree.  Or at least either/or.

Last edited by Redram (2019-04-19 01:34:12)

#53 2019-04-19 01:49:00

DestinyCall

Redram wrote:

[ Even if limited though, if the branch produced any more than one stick, and the sticks could become kindling, it would be unbalancing.

Is balance really that important in a game like OHOL?   This isn't a RTS or something.

Anyways, as long as the sticks are not infinite, I don't think it would be too unbalancing to allow them to be turned into kindling or wood shavings or something.   Especially if the starting material was changed to yew branches, the redheaded stepchild of branches.

*** I'm just kidding, of course it is important!

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-04-19 01:50:15)

#54 2019-04-19 02:12:10

milkweed
Website

If the owner dies while the gate is shaking, the gate seems to be permanent.

My mod ( based on Awbz's mod ) - https://github.com/MilkweedOHOL/OneLifeClient
I’m not a native speaker of English.
Sorry for my incomplete English.

#55 2019-04-19 02:18:18

futurebird

Redram wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

What makes you think they are infinite?

I wasn't seeing any of it on onetech (and I still don't), so I was just going based off Jason's previously stated objective to make the fences basically free.  If you only got a limited number from a branch, that would make them decidedly not-free, especially in the eve camp stage where, depending on how you settled, every straight branch can be precious for quite awhile.  Even if limited though, if the branch produced any more than one stick, and the sticks could become kindling, it would be unbalancing.

DestinyCall wrote:

Strongly agree.  Or at least either/or.

People already know to farm and save maple branches. So often you see a lot of them around. if it's only yew it means more kinds of tree farms and I think yew trees are a bit more rare? (are they???) and it might be confusing to people who have learned
"never chop maples, use yew for kindling" I think making both of them work would be best.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#56 2019-04-19 02:21:24

jasonrohrer
Administrator

milkweed wrote:

If the owner dies while the gate is shaking, the gate seems to be permanent.

Whoops... Just fixed this.

#57 2019-04-19 02:43:43

DestinyCall

futurebird wrote:

People already know to farm and save maple branches. So often you see a lot of them around. if it's only yew it means more kinds of tree farms and I think yew trees are a bit more rare? (are they???) and it might be confusing to people who have learned
"never chop maples, use yew for kindling" I think making both of them work would be best.

Yew trees are not more rare, they are just more useless and ignored because they have limited utility.  Pretty much just bows and kindling.    If people started making yew farms, I would consider that a good side effect.   It means these trees are worth investing time and effort to farm.    Right now, they really aren't worth it.   I also would NOT let both branch types work for this purpose.   Straight branches already have many important uses.  They do not need another one.  I don't want people to turn my firebrand into a property gate.

#58 2019-04-19 03:03:39

antking:]#

I still believe that gates should be a family based thing! this could work if a family claims a plot of land and then spends their time working on it!
now you might say that a village is a family so I'm proposing that you could name a child with a last name by naming with:
instertname insertlastname

and that makes a new linage I think this would strengthen family bonds and create family farms and families would propably have property wars and spatialize in certain crafts

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#59 2019-04-19 03:23:53

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, what happens when one of your kids is a griefer?

I think that kids should generally earn access to something, not get it automatically.

Not hard to add them.  Stand near gate and say "You own this gate"  And it's not like you're dealing with 100s of kids.  Looking at the family tree, most people have 8 max in their lifetime, and only half of those live to adulthood.

I hear you on the family names...  not sure about that.  I think that will become more of a thing once Eves move closer together, and a bunch of other stuff.

#60 2019-04-19 03:52:55

DestinyCall

Redram wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

One major issue I notice from looking at the transitions - property sticks should be destructable.  Can we get a transition that converts property sticks to kindling using axe or hatchet?

Can you get infinite sticks from one branch?   If so turning the sticks into kindling would be OP.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yes, redram, that's all correct.

And there is a problem with turning sticks into kindling (free kindling).

Wait .. does that mean that sticks are infinite?    That seems very problematic considering there doesn't seem to be any way to dispose of unneeded sticks currently.

#61 2019-04-19 05:43:16

antking:]#

jasonrohrer wrote:

Well, what happens when one of your kids is a griefer?

I think that kids should generally earn access to something, not get it automatically.

Not hard to add them.  Stand near gate and say "You own this gate"  And it's not like you're dealing with 100s of kids.  Looking at the family tree, most people have 8 max in their lifetime, and only half of those live to adulthood.

I hear you on the family names...  not sure about that.  I think that will become more of a thing once Eves move closer together, and a bunch of other stuff.

yah but can I just brought up the names because occasionally you will get some super long lineage name such as... you know when you talk to your great, great twice removed aunt, and other scenarios like that as the family tree branches out. and it sort of ruins the family feel as every one is "family"  just very distend family smaller tighter knighted families would be better.

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#62 2019-04-19 15:37:02

Vexenie

Hippity Hoppity, give me your property

-Every Entitled parent ever

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#63 2019-04-20 08:35:45

Amon

With the infinite stick duplication, I think it would be somewhat better if;
The OG stick bundle you make out of the branch has a different look, more massive, more bunched up, and you can replicate ONLY from that one bunch. And that one bunch can also be disposed by turning it into kindling with an axe, basically instead of instantly turning a branch into kindling, you make some fence with it before turning it into kindling? It's not free, I guess it's just cramming in a function between.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#64 2019-04-20 09:49:22

Sukallinen

Also if you make so much extra food fast new players are not able to learn how to bake. "Entitled advanced players" just take stuff and not help much colony as it is-although usually leave some organized stuff alone if its not in,say,bakery. I basically don't want basic foods nerfed ! Also please players just let some stay raw-I can do it so why can someone else not. I pick up basket and take it from bakery to teach even newer player than me to make some foods. They are then more interested to learn than just going grab grub from full bakery.
Edit: teaching might help on /die problem too, as new players now have teacher/learn something!

I do not shy away from Janitorial duties, especially if some new person is on. Teaching them to make compost then plant is what keeps them playing, and is satisfying enough for me (and them to start) usually. Also next life they know something and wish to expand-or if I am forty I can teach whatever with basically no time limit and feel it is worth it.

Offtopic: maybe teach-mode like whisper so others won't be bothered-you could whisper longer sentences or such to someone or paste from outside the game (client problem then), but imo we need a bit longer sentences to teach. Naming fenced area "school" or something-we really have no good system to name, even in larger towns where libraries are they're very limited.

Last edited by Sukallinen (2019-04-20 09:50:55)

Board footer