One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-16 06:05:29

Matbat

Warfare discussion: How would swords work in OHOL?

Sure your first instinct is to say "We don't need wars, or more killing" but of two weeks ago's discussions Jason wants us to have differences
and reasons to declare war and fight or trade or whatnot.. I didn't really read it but I know as how the game stands theres little room for it with the exception of heavy roleplaying.

Now I went to thinking, if you want to enforce your ideal/roleplay onto others all you need is power, real power.
The first thought was a small advancement in weaponry, the idea being swords.

Now you might wonder, if you're not already commenting "we don't need war", "how would you want swords to work?? well??"
and here I will try to create the technicalities of the sword in a balanced manner.

Crafting: combine two blade blanks to make.. two blade blanks, pour a bowl of quicklime (or soda-lime mixture?) onto it, forge that,
hammer it, sharpen it with file when its cool, forge it again, use on full bucket of water/crock of water, and add drilled short shaft (drill shortshaft because tang, and lategame weapon status).

and there, Tempered Steel Sword!
Tempered steel sword is small size, but takes up three spaces in a basket/backpack, unless a sheath is added but we wouldn't see that until we get leather or something.

Now how it works: The sword has 3 charges when it comes to attacking. Each charge deals a attack of scaling lethality and movement
speed penalty (-15/20% per attack). each stage of blood splatter expires after 20 seconds, with a forced cooldown of 2.5 seconds in between each strike.

Picture this, Sword hits ruffian man, ruffian is now nicked, receiving a debuff to movement (-15%?) but not an entirely dead from the attack
(some items may not be able to be used while recently nicked). this wound heals after two minutes, and the ruffian can use weapon class items after one minute.
Swordman is not going to let ruffian leave alive, so he strikes again. this now causes a normal wound that must be healed with bandage and stitches.
(at this point its only a 40 second murder cooldown, and normal death timer)
Swordman really hates this ruffian, he stole and named his daughter while he wasn't paying attention and doesn't know who his daughter is anymore, so he strikes him a third time.
This causes a deep wound that is nearly untreatable unless the ruffian is right at the medic station with a 15-20 seconds to death timer and requiring two pads and stitches. and even if the ruffian is graced with healing they can never hold weapon class items, use carts, or horses, and have a movement penalty of -15/20% for the rest of their life.

If two swordsmen clash it becomes a battle of skill with parries and quick thinking
Click self to preform parry for 1 second (cooldown of 1-2 seconds, too) if you are hit in the timeframe cause a dent in the sword of your opponents (and yours?), reducing its charges by 1. this denting mechanic also applies to knives (but not parrying). dents can be fixed by hitting with hammer/sharpening with file (1 at a time)
if shot with arrow while parrying receive a nick (if nicked, become wounded)
One parry can block up to 3 attacks at once
Swords can be still be held if nicked, warriors don't give up over a little cut (but a warrior with a knife does?..).

I dont have much left to say other than this could provide the power and balance required for more family bonds ("brother!! save me!!"( and they can actually afford to protect you without just dying themselves) ) and grouping of individuals. And the ability to neutralize groups of people we don't like but they have a weapon each and you wouldn't possibly survive to further liberate your civilization (say a bunch of berry/pie munchers talking at the fields over nothing).

Sorry, long post I know.. but I was hyped to make this after thinking of the technicalities, maybe they might work?..

#2 2019-04-16 06:19:22

Thaulos

Re: Warfare discussion: How would swords work in OHOL?

You already have niter, charcoal and sulfur in the game. Just saying.

#3 2019-04-16 06:23:48

Grim_Arbiter

Your dreaming too big here haha. How will swords work? Like knives do. The blade without the short shaft is basically a katana already, and all you would need is to add is a long shaft. Maybe not being able to put them in your bag or pants would be the only difference.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#4 2019-04-16 08:27:27

Psykout

Pretty sure mental energy going into what we should even fight over/for before how to fight would be better idea.

#5 2019-04-16 08:56:23

Matbat

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

Your dreaming too big here haha. How will swords work? Like knives do. The blade without the short shaft is basically a katana already, and all you would need is to add is a long shaft. Maybe not being able to put them in your bag or pants would be the only difference.

Question, when was the last time you felt a sense of satisfaction making a knife other than the first one of an eve camp?  The process that would take place making a sword would give the sense of 'I just made a really powerful weapon and now I can..'  rather than the regular 'Well, I guess I have a knife now. Hope I don't have to stab anyone with it'.

What I'm trying to get at is if the sword was just a better knife (killing wise) but way less versatile it'd.. kinda be boring. Kinda like the state of weaponry right now is.

Psykout wrote:

Pretty sure mental energy going into what we should even fight over/for before how to fight would be better idea.

Right now trying to switch to anything outside of communism will get you killed, people want to be free to do other stuff  besides working all the time but without the power to ensure they can stay safe while doing it they'll relegate to being a cog in the works.
They need to be able to afford to fight for what they want, not just up and die.

Thaulos wrote:

You already have niter, charcoal and sulfur in the game. Just saying.

Assumedly you speak about flux or some other forge related thing, I just put there what I knew off the top of my head plus some wiki skims.

Last edited by Matbat (2019-04-16 09:03:58)

#6 2019-04-16 11:10:08

Bob 101

No point in swords, Knives work fine.

Board footer