One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-11 11:36:40

Whatever

hetuw mode

Install:
Download the .exe file from github and copy it into your ohol folder, then run it
Download: https://github.com/hetuw/OneLife/releases/

Update:
The mod doesnt do any updates. In order to update the mod download a new version and replace it with the old.
You have to check on your own if there is a new version available, older version might become bugged over time and dont contain new updates from jason or me.
Additionally use the vanilla client to update the data, just start it once so it downloads it.

Help page
press H in game to show all the hotkeys and commands
qQcG1WZ.png

Object search feature
GUARKGN.png
Press J to add an element to the list, click on an element to remove it again.
Press SHIFT+J to remove the last element from the list.

Players in range
QvdJwVa.png
Press P to toggle between the mods and activate it
Shows how many players are near you.
The first family is always your own. (it doesnt count you)
The number next to F shows how many women under 40 there are.
The other number shows how many players of the family there are.
Unknown are players without a name.

vYpLt6p.jpg

Yum finder: (thanks to wondible for providing code)
video: https://i.imgur.com/NrTuG1B.mp4
(feature is not 100% accurate)

Highlight dangerous Animals:
vido https://i.imgur.com/ZvK7iMh.mp4

hetuw.cfg
when you first start the mod it will create a file called "hetuw.cfg"
inside you can change hotkeys, settings and modify the features a bit

Zoom
scroll with the mouse to zoom in and out
press -> (right-arrow-key) to zoom out
press <- (left-arrow-key) to zoom in

Coordinates:
coordinates will be displayed in the top left corner, they are relative to your birth location
you can press R and then H (or any other letter) to create a new coordinate where you stand, a list on the left side will pop up.
you can create as many waypoints as there are letters. (for example R and then G)
you can click on a coordinate from your list to set it to your 0, 0 position, all other coordinates will than be relative to it. (on default they will be relative to your birth)
you can CTRL + click on a coord to delete it.
if a bell or apoc tower rings its coords will be added to the list automatic.
if you see a tarr monument than its coords will be added to the list automatic (this is because in vanilla its in the center of the map)
you can press SHIFT+R and then a letter to manually input the coords (the x and y, so you dont need to stand where you want to have your coord)

Food-Value indicator
when you are holding a food item in your hand, it will show you how much food you will gain by eating it

Show player names
all player names will be written above the players, the color depends on your relationship with that person.
your mother is green, your cousins are blue or purple, unrelated people are white.
you can show only first names / full names or no names at all, press N to change it.

Death messages
if someone in your area dies you wll see a death message on your screen.
telling you the name of the person that died, their age and gender.

Emotions
you can press 0-9 and F1-F4 to make emotions
you can also write an emotion in chat, than it will last permantly, you can stop it by pressing 0-9

E
press E to eat what you are holding in hand

Q
press Q to put something in your backpack or take something out

SHIFT+Q
switch the item in your hand with an item inside your backpack

C
press C to pick up or drop a baby

WASD
you can use wasd to go up/left/down/right
this makes it easier to avoid dangerous animals and it will open doors automatically

SHIFT+WASD
similar to left click, will pick up an item in the choosen direction

CTRL+WASD
similar to right click, for example: CTRL+W can be used to pick up an item from a basket that is 1 tile above you

SPACE
similar to left click, can be used to pick up items from the tile you are standing on

CTRL+SPACE
similar to right click on the tile you are standing on

F
press F to stop the camera from moving, with the default client you have to keep holding SPACE to achieve this effect

X
video: https://i.imgur.com/1FA813s.mp4
lets you see behind trees

L
teach babies your language

Last edited by Whatever (2020-02-10 08:13:10)

#2 2019-04-11 19:26:39

PeaGirl

Re: hetuw mode

Looks very nice! Too bad I have windows.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#3 2019-04-12 13:03:27

Whatever

There is now a windows binary, you can download it here https://github.com/hetuw/OneLife/releases/

Thanks to Uncle Gus and Chard for helping me compile and Awbz for trying out the exectueable

#4 2019-04-12 17:45:49

Jk Howling

This looks dope! The only thing that'd probably keep me from using this over Awbz is the lack of the related females counter display. Also, having to hold ctrl to zoom in is mildly annoying compared to the ease of arrow keys on Awbz.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2019-04-12 17:53:33)

-Has ascended to better games-

#5 2019-04-12 17:58:15

mrbah

played a game with it, pretty cool, did miss the "how many relatives are alive" from awbz though.
there is also no shortcut for picking up stuff from your tile, right?

#6 2019-04-12 18:43:50

Jk Howling

mrbah wrote:

played a game with it, pretty cool, did miss the "how many relatives are alive" from awbz though.
there is also no shortcut for picking up stuff from your tile, right?

Space picks up from your tile.

-Has ascended to better games-

#7 2019-04-12 19:07:25

mrbah

will  it pick up the basket full of stones or a stone from the basket?

#8 2019-04-14 14:09:31

hmrka

works good, took some time to get used to it tho. I dont like the controls for zooming in and out, and I miss the fertile relatives thing... but love the names and cords <3

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#9 2019-04-14 19:32:40

Whatever

I updated the mod, now you can zoom out with the left and right arrow keys instead of + and -

mrbah wrote:

will  it pick up the basket full of stones or a stone from the basket?

you can pick up a basket with SPACE, if you want to pick a stone from it you can do so with CTRL+SPACE,
or you can also use the mouse ofcourse.

#10 2019-04-15 08:58:29

Tarr
Banned

After playing with it for a bit it's definitely a great mod if you don't care about missing the fertility function on awbz.

Coordinates in any sort of group play is a godsend because you'll both have the same exact 0,0 which means it's easy to call out exact coordinates of things such as iron veins without any sort of guess work.

WASD movement is nice for something like traveling by foot or horse where you don't need to walk around impassible objects or don't feel like clicking every moment.

The map feature you've been showing off is also incredibly awesome. That means a lot less tabbing out and switching windows to attempt to check where other families are in case of town death or if you just want to work in a different village.

The only real things I dislike about the client are:

The zoom buttons are + and - but that's something you've obviously worked to change.

Coordinates shrinking in size whenever zooming out. Not a huge deal overall though.

Missing the fertility thing makes knowing whether to suicide or not more guess work but with Awbz fertility thing being a little wonky it's something I don't miss too much.

Anyways, great work on the mod. I myself have made the swap from AWBZ to yours as it's more suited to my needs. smile

fug it’s Tarr.

#11 2019-04-15 09:35:15

Whatever

Thanks for the kind words @everyone

Tarr wrote:

The zoom buttons are + and - but that's something you've obviously worked to change.

i have changed it to the left and right arrow keys. You can redownload the exe again from the same link and replace it with the old one, if you want to update.

Tarr wrote:

Coordinates shrinking in size whenever zooming out. Not a huge deal overall though.

I agree this is a bit annoying.

Tarr wrote:

Missing the fertility thing makes knowing whether to suicide or not more guess work but with Awbz fertility thing being a little wonky it's something I don't miss too much.

I was thinking about making something like that, but its difficult. I dont think that awbz did any mistakes, but i think sometimes the data you get from the server is not 100% correct.
When people are too far away from you, the server might not send you all the data you need to make it work correctly.

#12 2019-04-21 22:05:13

Oblong

The only way I’d be able to use this mod is if there was a MAC version.

It seems interesting, though for the reason stated above, I can’t try it out, nor am I knowledgeable in compiling code.

I don’t talk in-game unless it’s dire.

#13 2019-04-22 07:34:47

Portager

I have been using hetuw and I really enjoy the core functionality, especially the ability to see player names. That makes identifying threats so much easier, and good for family role plays.

I will note however that the music seems to cut out when I zoom out, which is a small thing, but a little annoying. Still, as long as you support this product, I will probably make the switch from awbz.

#14 2019-06-18 14:38:51

MistressZues

I love this mod but I cant seem to get the Map zoom to work to show the other families in the area, It says use U/O to zoom in an out on map but it doesnt do anything for me. It just shows my family and me all lumped together as one square.

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#15 2019-06-18 16:23:20

Spoonwood

MistressZues wrote:

I love this mod but I cant seem to get the Map zoom to work to show the other families in the area, It says use U/O to zoom in an out on map but it doesnt do anything for me. It just shows my family and me all lumped together as one square.

Unfortunately, Jason changed the code so that the way that the coordinate feature worked no longer works.  I liked it while it lasted, and would journey to far away families sometimes  (it was before swords... I would take iron/rope from the wild to far away families).  But, again, it doesn't work anymore.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#16 2019-06-18 22:35:41

MistressZues

Spoonwood wrote:
MistressZues wrote:

Unfortunately, Jason changed the code so that the way that the coordinate feature worked no longer works.  I liked it while it lasted, and would journey to far away families sometimes  (it was before swords... I would take iron/rope from the wild to far away families).  But, again, it doesn't work anymore.

Well that sucks I wanted to start working on delivering High am recievers an transmitters to all the other families, suppose to be a game about coming together but he makes it so hard lol

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#17 2019-07-02 13:24:49

FulmenTheFinn

As of a few versions ago, zooming in on the in-game map no longer works. Probably a conflict with the button to highlight hostile objects (U).

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#18 2019-07-03 01:12:54

ollj

i like all the hotkeys.

#19 2019-09-09 14:18:59

miskas

tried to install it but I got an error.
What do I do? Do I have to reinstall the game for it to work?

http://prntscr.com/p3tll8

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#20 2019-09-09 14:47:05

Whatever

miskas wrote:

tried to install it but I got an error.
What do I do? Do I have to reinstall the game for it to work?

http://prntscr.com/p3tll8

There is no installation, you only have to copy the exe file into your One Hour One Life folder and start it
The error says SDL.dll is missing, the sdl file is inside your ohol folder, so you already need to have the game installed and then just copy the mod into the right folder and start it.

Last edited by Whatever (2019-09-09 14:47:51)

#21 2019-09-09 16:34:39

miskas

Thanks! it works fine!

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#22 2019-09-11 20:14:15

Saolin

So a mod like this enables some things you wouldn't normally be able to do (such as permanent emote). Would it also enable actions such as picking up /setting down an item far away? Or use the backpack button to stow an item you wouldn't normally be able to?

Either in practice currently, or theoretically?

#23 2019-09-12 07:47:04

BladeWoods

Saolin wrote:

So a mod like this enables some things you wouldn't normally be able to do (such as permanent emote). Would it also enable actions such as picking up /setting down an item far away? Or use the backpack button to stow an item you wouldn't normally be able to?

A mod can possibly abuse bugs that the normal client doesn't abuse, but those things aren't currently bugs and so mods can't theoretically do them.

#24 2019-09-12 07:53:25

sigmen4020

BladeWoods wrote:
Saolin wrote:

A mod can possibly abuse bugs that the normal client doesn't abuse, but those things aren't currently bugs and so mods can't theoretically do them.

A great example of that was the awbz's ability to abuse a bug to make its users able to instant-kill themselves by the press of a button, no matter the age. I remember the time where people abusing that bug was one of the bigger issues we had. Those were the days.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-09-12 07:54:03)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#25 2019-09-12 13:20:21

BlueDiamondAvatar

Is there a function for altering the tree sprite in Hetuw?  I was once told there is, but I don't see it on the hotkey list.

Full disclosure:  I consider my source for this information highly suspect... she was an in-game griefer who happened to be my mother or sister or something like that.

And if not... consider this my request for a feature update.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

Board footer