One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-09 15:55:57

BlueDiamondAvatar

What's your favorite video tutorial, and... do we need a new one?

There are a few new players popping up on the discord server and the forums, and one of them asked me for a more distilled guide than just a link to the wikipedia.

We do have some awesome deep resources with the wikipedia and the onetech guide, but video tutorials that summarize what you need to know seem to reach a wider audience.

I sent this discord user a link to Twisted's beginner's guide - but then realized Twisted spent a lot of time talking through how to stay at a perfect temp with desert edges, like we used to do before the latest temperature update.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNIVKgRm4Nk&t=219s

Does anyone else know of a general beginner video tutorial that isn't out of date?

This experience got me thinking about how I would put together a video tutorial for beginner players.

Here's my concept - Top Ten ways to Die in OHOL

1)    Hunger
2)    Cold or Heat
3)    Mosquito
4)    Snake
5)    Wolves and Boars
6)    Bears
7)    No homemarker
8)    Not enough plates and bowls
9)    Waste resources when tilling soil for crops
10)    Block work in the bakery or smithy

I have a more detailed outline --- here's a sample;
1)    Hunger
    a.    You want to know what your next meal will be at all times.  (video showing people dying while running for food)
    b.    Having that next meal in your hand, basket, backpack, or cart is a really good idea!
    c.    In early stage camps, you will need to be able to forage your next meal.
        i.    Berry is obvious (leave one, when in wild), but here's how to get onion, burdock, carrot, banana, and cactus fruit
        ii.    Avoid badlands, swamp and tundra if you need to forage - they have no native foods that can be eaten raw.

But before I start putting a ton of work into it,  is this something other people would use?  Or are the existing tutorials good enough?

Also --- anyone have more experience with making videos and want to work on this with me?  smile

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#2 2019-04-09 19:33:24

voy178

Re: What's your favorite video tutorial, and... do we need a new one?

Dying of mosquitos and yellow fever is not such a big issue anymore so long as you don't wander into the jungle. It's not a must anymore, most of the time you can walk around it.

#3 2019-04-10 00:42:53

1%Spacebar

Aren't most video guides out of date, anyway? OHOL gets updated every week or so, and making a video can /take/ a week. Personally, I never used a video to learn OHOL, I just poked around on the wiki, but that's me. I'm sure plenty of people would do great with a video. I think I could use a text guide about etiquette and other things like that that a wiki can't teach. But maybe I'm just rambling.

oh boy *munch munch* these berry bushes *munch munch* are dying. i hope *munch munch* someone will water them

#4 2019-04-10 18:56:48

BlueDiamondAvatar

1%Spacebar wrote:

Aren't most video guides out of date, anyway? OHOL gets updated every week or so, and making a video can /take/ a week. Personally, I never used a video to learn OHOL, I just poked around on the wiki, but that's me. I'm sure plenty of people would do great with a video. I think I could use a text guide about etiquette and other things like that that a wiki can't teach. But maybe I'm just rambling.

Well, i was hoping to create something that could last a few months, by not getting into recipe or strategy details very much.  Like with temp - focus on the fact that you want to keep your temp at the middle rather than the specific strategy for keeping your temperature at the middle.

But honestly, writing an etiquette guide would be easier for me that creating a video.  But once created, it wouldn't necessarily be easy to share someplace people would come upon it accidentally.  I could post a text etiquette guide here, or on Steam, but no one would ever stumble across it accidentally.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#5 2019-04-10 20:02:31

BlueDiamondAvatar

Yes, writing an etiquette guide would be a lot easier....

Blue Diamond’s guide to Life in OHOL

There are many excellent guides to crafting tools in OHOL, but the community has many unique social interactions as well.  This is the first installment in a beginners guide to understanding the Do’s and Don’ts of life in an OHOL town.

How to be a good baby

Stay where your mama puts you. For the first three minutes you can’t grab anything, leaving you unable to feed yourself.  At some point you will want your mother or nursemaid to pick you up, so you can get fed.  The baby that is running around is harder to pick up that the still baby by the fire.  Which one do you think will get fed first?

Say F when at two pips. The more often your mother feeds you, the more her own hunger bar is drained of pips.  If you are put down on the ground, let your babysitter know when you have two pips left on your hunger bar.  This gives them time to feed you before you starve, while not wasting the town’s resources. Because a baby’s hunger bar is so small, the game will make sounds as if you are starving almost as soon as you are put on the ground.

Manage your own temperature.  Mothers in developed camps will typically raise children within a few tiles of a fire.  But sometimes mama will need to keep working and take you with her. In either case, your primary job as a baby is to keep an eye on the temperature meter and keep it as close to the center as possible without roaming more than a tile or two from where your mama put you down. Standing in the cold or heat will make you hungry faster – a good way to die quickly at any age.

Keep listening. Ok, being a rugrat is not the most exciting part of the game – but your mother may give you commands to “Come” Or “Follow” for one of any number of reasons.  She might also tell you what projects are going on, what resources the town needs, or who the latest griefer is.  Going AFK during the early years is a good way to get yourself killed by that bear just south of the berry patch your mama tried to warn you about.

Emote.  In OHOL, just as in real life, babies and moms can bond by mirroring each other’s faces.  Give your mom a smile by typing /happy, or using F1 in the AWBZ mod.  Did your mom make a heart at you? Respond with your own /love. Did she make a /shock, or /ill face about something going on in town around you?  Copy her. It's adorable. But please, don’t whistle /yoohoo more than once.

Jump away from strangers. If a man or an old woman picks you up and starts carrying you out of town, they are kidnapping you.  Jump out of their arms and head back to mom or the nearest fertile woman.  Same if its a fertile woman carrying you past the edge of town into a dangerous biome.

Future topics: (I’m open to suggestions about which to do next)
How to be a good kid;
How to avoid getting stabbed for annoying behavior;
How to be a good mom;
How to be a good uncle;
How to be a good farmer;
How to be a good carter;
How to help the baker;
How to help the smith; and
How to be a good grandmother.

--Blue Diamond

#6 2019-04-10 21:26:10

1%Spacebar

That looks pretty good. I guess if you clickbaited it, maybe you would get more attention. You could always post on the discord too, which might get more attention. Anyways, the series seems like a good read, I know there's a few things I need to know.

oh boy *munch munch* these berry bushes *munch munch* are dying. i hope *munch munch* someone will water them

Board footer