One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-08 17:18:17

GreatShawn

Giant Biomes Suggestion

I know, I know, I probalbly dont have the rights to suggest anything since i haven't been playing OHOL for a while, but something came to my mind a long time ago about giant biomes. and recently i saw a post talking also about implementing giant biomes in the game, so I though maybe i can share my thoughts on how can those huge biomes work if they're in the game:

- Each biome can have their unique tech trees and crafting recipes for different essential resources (like the other post i saw mentioned). For example: the plains biome can dig wells in the ground to get water, and the people living in the swamps can have some sort of demoisturizer to get rid of the moisture in the ground to get soil.

- Each biome can also have their own special tech that is unobtainable (or really hard to get) in other biomes.), and people in other biomes can go trade for those special tech that can probably make their lives easier. For example: if people in the jungle have rubber tires in their tech tree, and people in the savanna invented carts, they can trade them to make life lot easier for both of them.

- Each biome also comes with their own pros and cons: in the plains there are plenty of wildlife, food, soil and wood, but no water, minerals and clay. meanwhile, the swamp people have little food or wildlife, but they have plenty of water and clay. People in the savanna have wheat, wildlife and stew components, but no soil and water. the badlands will be rarely inhabited, but if people decided to inhabit there there would be lots of minerals, but they lack everything else. So it is up to the eve to decide which spot they want the most.

- MOST IMPORTANTLY, people now have the desire and needs to trade! Before u can get whatever u want by yourself because the biomes are so small! but now you have to trade for it! you can still for example, get water in the desert by digging a well, but it is much more efficient to trade for water than it is for u to dig a clumsy well that can barely produce water.

now i know there are a lot of flaws in this suggestion. In fact, I am going through all the flaws when im typing this thing in my mind. There still need to be a lot more careful planning and tweaks done before this can be implemented in the game.

also, my mom got me a cat! Cheers everyone!

#2 2019-04-08 17:19:36

Booklat1

Re: Giant Biomes Suggestion

Jason responded this before, not feasible, specially techtrees

#3 2019-04-08 17:20:55

GreatShawn

oh well... my hopes and dreams...

#4 2019-04-08 17:33:40

Booklat1

I think we could work on the idea though, at least make some biome combinations a bit better

#5 2019-04-08 18:39:31

BladeWoods

This has literally been suggested 500 times. It's too much work to create 7 tech trees so this will never happen.

#6 2019-04-08 21:55:53

Sukallinen

When map is created/apocalypse, do macrobiomes (MB) (one is 3000 x 300 or whatever tiles) ?

Each MB contains:
-every biome currently in game
-one mountainbiome/whatever per MB (one biome, so you do not have to check every tile) contains one (renewable, slow, like a mine or smthng) resource needed to craft some new item to be installed in game, whenever J installs a more advanced item.

So, start with, say, two different kinds of MB, and two resources, needed to build a new item. Boom: TRADE, probably. Thing to do to you veterans, go around search this one mountain spawning its slowly renewable resource.

Doesn't bother us newbies too much since we won't be doing that advanced item (way to copy a book, anyone`?) nor does it mess up current biomes. Gives veterans something bit challenging. Something worth protecting even, maybe, conflict.

Also I do not have to teach compost/such to newbies over and over again, takes a lifetime to teach one/two kids that, farming or such... Nor does it change those dynamics J doesn't want touched.

Last edited by Sukallinen (2019-04-08 21:56:19)

#7 2019-04-08 22:31:55

Glassius

The need for new BIG technology tree is bullshit. Once there is an oil pump and a water diesel pump, a water can be brought in great amounts to any biome. The compost cycle remove dependancy on green biome. The problem is, this is very high tech and requires already build, established and sustainable city. But if there is one, why build another? No early camps in dfferent biomes though. But it can be changed, with only few changes to early tech.

Golden ancient times
A long time ago players could place well anywhere. So, they were stacking wells in green biomes, to have easy access to branches, soil and regrowable berries. Jason changed it on 30th May 2018, so now wells can be placed only on dry ponds. But now, as we have a new pump wells, I think the old system can be restored, so we can place wells anywhere again. This way, early Eve camp will have to stick to swamp/green biome as always, because of initiall need for wild soil deposits and ponds, but later camp could be build anywhere else (except ice and desert, cause to temperature).

There is only one problem: Jason spent many hours trying to balance water supply, as this was an limit to city sutainability, just like today it is iron. He may be hesitant to change it back.

Different technology trees?
No. We always need resources from different biomes. Green/grassland/swamp borders are the best, because of access to rabbits, water, branches, soil, regrowable wild berries and lack of dangers. Everything else we gather from other biomes. So, add technologies:
1. Juniper and pines produce branches for kindling. Or allow us to cut down tree with hatchet.
2. Place wells anywhere.
3. Add to badlands, grasslands and swamps one regrowable wild food source, like cacti and berries. Maybe fishing in ponds?
4. Add soil deposits to grasslands and swamps. This is real life friendly, as soil in swamps and praires is usually much better than in forests.
5. Make possible to craft backpacks from bisons, cows, boars and pigs. This one may be a great technology tree due to tanneries.

EDIT: where does Jason take his soil from?
There was a suggestion to remove soil deposits and allow to make tilled row by just hitting a ground with hoe. I argumented, that people do not move soil in real life for farming and Jason responded, he moves soil in his garden all the time. I would still insist a free soil to come only from composting, but nevermind.

However, if Jason want a wild deposits of soil to exist, more real life friendly would be to extend their appearance, or completely move it to swamps! I can bet Jason, you garden soil was taken from swamp peat smile

Last edited by Glassius (2019-04-08 23:06:32)

Board footer