One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-05 09:48:16

Deleted User

Pregnancy

Nothing fights my obligatory straw hat, though! With turkey feather or without? Turkey feathers are vain, I prefer then blank.

PS: Try better next time, for the sake of the arch.

Last edited by Deleted User (2022-02-06 22:31:50)

#2 2019-04-05 13:52:27

DestinyCall

Re: Pregnancy

I would highly support a "pregnancy" option.   You are already leashed to your mother by the need for breast-milk, so being stuck in her "womb" for a little while would not be that much of an inconvenience for the baby player.   The only significant problem that I can foresee is how to implement the pregnancy change on the mom's side.   

I suspect it would be relatively easy to do something like the "wounded" state - when you get pregnant, instead of an animal bite, you get a big belly and you drop any held items/can't pick up items.  In a perfect world, I'd like to be able to finish what I'm doing, especially if I'm an Eve, but I'm not sure if that is possible - if I understand it correctly, the "animal wound" acts as a held object that you can't drop.   In this case, you'd be literally stuck "holding" your baby/big belly until the pregnancy ends.   It would be annoying, but then again .. have you ever been pregnant?  It's not exactly a cakewalk!   This would also add an element of community involvement with childbirth/pregnancy.   A pregnant mother might need to be fed by other villagers if she gets hit with a baby at the wrong moment. 

I would not give the baby a "miscarry" button however.  Make them type out /die.  If they are too inexperienced to know that command, they are too inexperienced to reject the mother they have been randomly assigned or to properly grasp the consequences of a lineage ban.

On the other side of the equation, I'd like to see an option for the mom to "opt-out" of motherhood, if she is not ready or willing to carry the baby to term.   If the baby can type /die, I think the mom should be able to do the same.  The kid shouldn't have to wait around to be born only to have his mom abandon him, if he is unwanted.    There would be fewer abandoned babies in the world - although it is still possible that someone might not notice they are pregnant until too late.   Or they might wait to have the child, so they know the gender first.

#3 2019-04-05 14:25:25

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Will think about this...

The idea with the baby popping out when you're riding a horse is that it's funny.  There's also something really special and funny about being thrown into a situation as a baby.  Think of all those streamers screaming "Mom?  Mom!  MOMMMM!!"  I'd be really hesitant to lose that moment in the game.

Big belly is easy enough to do, I think (new body part that copies color of the breasts).  Problem is how it will work with clothing (it would stick out, currently, and there's no way I'm making pregnant versions of all clothing).  Unless, when you get pregnant, your clothes fall off or something weird like that.

#4 2019-04-05 14:45:01

DestinyCall

Becomes pregnant ... clothing explodes outward in all directions.  Yup, just like in real life.  ;-)

As far as losing the funny moments, I think the addition of pregnancy would add new funny moments and a greater sense of connection to your baby/mother.   The first time you get dropped out of your mom while she is riding a horse is pretty shocking/hilarious, but the novelty wears off rather quickly.   Giving female  players a chance to mentally prepare for impending motherhood would allow for the formation of stronger family bonds - mothers talking to their unborn child/children, telling them about the village and their hopes for their child's future.

#5 2019-04-06 00:25:12

Deleted User

jasonrohrer wrote:

Will think about this...

The idea with the baby popping out when you're riding a horse is that it's funny.  There's also something really special and funny about being thrown into a situation as a baby.  Think of all those streamers screaming "Mom?  Mom!  MOMMMM!!"  I'd be really hesitant to lose that moment in the game.

Big belly is easy enough to do, I think (new body part that copies color of the breasts).  Problem is how it will work with clothing (it would stick out, currently, and there's no way I'm making pregnant versions of all clothing).  Unless, when you get pregnant, your clothes fall off or something weird like that.

Thanks for considering it!

Hmm, it's just my opinion but it doesn't really thrill me when getting popped out while my mother rides a horse or vice versa. But that's your game, it would be ridiculous to debate it -shrug-

And dropping out clothing is really an idea, yeah.

#6 2019-04-06 00:29:08

Tarr
Banned

jasonrohrer wrote:

Please do not do that last part. I do not want to be a walking loot pinata while I work and am fertile. If I am near death and haven't given away gear sure pick that stuff off my body like the vulture you are but I'm not sure why anyone would bother ever making clothes if they run the risk of just dropping all their stuff because they get a baby.

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2019-04-06 00:36:20

DestinyCall

As long as I can keep my turkey hat, I'll be fine.   It is all the clothing I will ever need.

#8 2019-04-06 01:55:16

Deleted User

Nothing fights my obligatory straw hat, though!

#9 2019-04-06 02:22:52

DestinyCall

Fniux wrote:

With turkey feather or without?

#10 2019-04-06 02:46:56

The_Anabaptist

If you add a baby delay, then I think you should add a scene of the baby / babies in the womb.  And if it is babies, there should be a mini game of them fighting in the womb.  Let the griefers get it out of their system with the chance for fratricide in the womb!

The_Anabaptist

#11 2019-04-06 04:38:25

Deleted User

DestinyCall wrote:
Fniux wrote:

With turkey feather or without?

Turkey feathers are vain, I prefer then blank...!

#12 2019-04-06 07:31:56

DestinyCall

Hmmm ... I find your lack of turkey-themed adornment strange and confusing.  However you appreciate the value of a good hat.  I think that says a lot about a person.

#13 2019-04-06 07:38:08

breezeknight

i am not sure about pregnancy
can do it without it

if it will be included, then plz shorten the baby incapacity
it's so boring to stand for minutes unable to do anything, mother don't saying anything, same bored as i am
that situation of the first few minutes needs really some new input, that would be far better for the gameplay than pregnancy

- - -

#14 2019-04-07 01:07:03

Starknight_One

Shorter pregnancy period - 15 seconds is long enough, and not too long for a game to load in. Believe me, you don't want to sit through 45 seconds of staring at an unmoving, blank screen, listening to what you can discern of the game world...

#15 2019-04-07 01:27:51

DestinyCall

Starknight_One wrote:

Shorter pregnancy period - 15 seconds is long enough, and not too long for a game to load in. Believe me, you don't want to sit through 45 seconds of staring at an unmoving, blank screen, listening to what you can discern of the game world...

My assumption was that the "baby" would be able to see the game world as normal, but with the camera focused on the mom.   No movement, but you would be able to see what your mom was doing and saying while waiting.

Board footer