One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-16 03:34:17

Tarzan

Home Markers

Home markers are a really good idea and have saved me from being lost on many occasions, but I see many around existing camps taking up space or I have to create a new one each time I join another tribe. How about having a totum pole that people can add to which serves the same function? or even a way of scratching a mark on something to show your allegiance?

It would be great to have people contribute in different ways to a totum pole (different crafted sections?) and once you add to the totum it serves as a marker for your family and a sort of legacy monument.

#2 2018-03-16 03:53:34

Tarzan

Re: Home Markers

Sorry, now read the main post that said suggestions on the reddit ... oops. I'll go back to eating all the berries and cutting milkweed whenever I see it (joking).

#3 2018-03-16 09:57:42

Hans Lemurson

I think it's a good notion.

#4 2018-03-16 11:52:42

Tanelorn

You don't need to add a new homemarker, you can just dig up an existing one (with sharp stone) and place it down again.

#5 2018-03-16 22:01:08

Xuhybrid

You can dig up anyone's home marker, it won't remove their waypoint.

Suggestion: Allow people to click a home marker to set their waypoint.

#6 2018-03-17 02:39:30

jord1990

I think something not allot of people know is that Home Markers stack for an individual. Say for example you want to explore here is how it would go.

1. Place a home marker at Base.
2. Go run around and find an awesome place you wanna hang out at for a bit.
3. Place a Home Marker at your new hang out spot.
4. The home marker will point to your hang out spot.
5. You want to go back to your main base, now all you need to do is dig up the home marker at your Hang out spot.
6. Home marker will now point to your base again.

You can stack as many home markers on top of each other as you want. as soon as you dig the latest one you placed up it will point towards the previous one agian.

#7 2018-03-17 10:22:50

zentea

I think we should have some kind of village center structure in form of monument or statue.
1. It could work as a mass home maker just by clicking on it
2. Great gathering point also good place to put fire close by and old people to hang out before they die
3. It should require high tech tools and a bit of work
4. On placement it would ask for village name so on mouse over it would show name of the village/city

( optional )

You cold use it to chose ocuppation from list and see how many people already doing this job (it would show your occupation on mousover) for example:
Farmer 3
Cook    1
Trapper 0
Hunter 0
Blacksmith 1

etc.

i think this kind of structure would make work in villages little bit less chaotic and you would know what kind of jobs need to be done. Obviously the list of jobs would need to be updated

#8 2018-03-17 10:36:47

Tebe

Yes, there is actually only one home marker necessary for any settlement. It takes teaching people, which is at least 50% of this game's experience, to get this across more. But as it is, it's very counter-intuitive. The mindful dwellers will not want to dig up someone else's marker fearing they might lose their way. But in fact only YOU can remove your own marker - once you've placed it, it's permanent even if someone else digs it up.

So for now, if you see a ton of home markers at a colony's center, go ahead and clean it up, dig them up, leave one in the middle with a sharp stone and a round stone nearby, and just remember to teach people that others can simply reuse the existing one. Correct people when you see them building a new one. I think a tweak to this system that makes it more intuitive would be great (for now the polite people doing the polite thing are in actuality cluttering the hell out of villages).

So spread the word for now, and keep the high-density tiles clean when you see too many markers.

#9 2018-03-17 10:49:54

GOR

The Tribe of Gor Approves this totem pole motion,  easy to instruct newcomers.     "Home Marker, Scratch totem with sharp stone" 

Much much easier than,  " Home Marker, Cut down a home marker with sharp stone,  then use round stone on skewer"

Board footer