InSpace

How to use wells without them drying up

xBL1siJ.jpg

I used this website for info: https://colinmarc.com/ohol/

#2 2018-03-15 21:27:10

ned

Re: How to use wells without them drying up

Some issues.

Imagine for a second that a civ is big enough to build it's own well with an accompanying cistern. It probably has about 6 or 7 people running around doing whatever they do. Who is going to monitor how many times the well has been used? Who is going to remember to fill it up before each use, and why, when we have to fill it up before each use from a non-well source (i.e. pond), is that any better than using a pond?

A good and helpful graphic, but I still don't see a practical use for a well without a dipstick or buoy gauge of some sort.

Well buenos-ding-dong-doodly-dias!

#3 2018-03-15 21:42:30

Jadajen

True...

...this method works if you have the time and resources, there seems to be a more intuitive way. Just put wells next to ponds and use the ponds as a measuring tool. Since water in them response at the same rate, only take from well if there is extra water in the pond.

1) always put wells directly next to ponds

2) get water from pond

3) if pond runs dry --> Replace water into pond. Do not collect from well. WAIT.
    if pond still has water --> collect from well, it's safe.

(note: I know collecting from pond and replacing if it runs dry resets the pond timer, so the will well technically refills sooner. BUT better safe than sorry, don't test your luck)
Advice: Just use cisterns and avoid wells if you can.

By using the pond, wells basically become a second pond.
Idk if the problem with wells is a bug, or oversight, or as intended, but right now this is the best we can do.

Last edited by Jadajen (2018-03-15 21:45:38)

#4 2018-03-15 22:19:34

SantaFray

One could theorize that you could build a massive water farm through the use of a large number of wells and cisterns, only drawing from the wells that are full and storing the water in the cisterns. Farmers would only be allowed to draw from the cisterns. Granted, such a system would require someone dedicated to maintaining it and going around and gathering a ton of stones, but with a big enough well farm, you could support several satellite farms.

Board footer