One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-16 21:41:21

antking:]#

antking's bad idea (which should be implamented)

Now What I have to say is simple but I'm going to over complicate it so that my post is longer.

I Love pies. and let's admit it its the staple of all culture in OHOL. villages that specialize in other foods are bound to die in a few generations. so all villages have a baker who works day and night to keep the village running, and a shepherded to keep mutton flowing.

this is all good and well but It's time for change! I remember when pies were only a luxury of advanced towns, now they are basically a spot for advanced berry munchers. I have noticed that when ever a new food is implemented to keep it "good" it has been given an insane pip value to compete with pies, exp. burrito, taco, fish, turkey extra

they have ridiculously high pip and that doesn't make  them good foods because with high pip value comes food waist. this makes mutton pies over powered and the only way for a village to last.

the only reason that you would want to diversify is if you are trying to get a high fertility, yum or are bored. what I am proposing is to decrease the power of all pies and rework the foods of OHOL

now I can't do the calculations for this change and it would be drastic! I believe their would be some massive negative affects yet positive in game.
1. their would be a mass starvation as people realize that the food strategies that have been the same for so long suddenly shifted.

2. their would a lot of complaints about the new values

3. more villages and towns will have start to have more vigor to produce different types of foods!

I'm not a numbers person or will go through every food to estimate and change its value for this change to eclipse but I know that some people are willing to! Pies shouldn't be what a village is dependent on, in real life I see pies mostly as treats or dessert, only a few types as a full meal.

I hope you agree with me about a general reform for the food system!

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#2 2019-03-16 22:09:58

DestinyCall

Re: antking's bad idea (which should be implamented)

We could call it "Temperature update 2.0 - Eveing harder"

#3 2019-03-16 22:28:15

jinbaili83

I would rather nerf mutton. Make raw meat spoil and require feeding sheep to get lamb.

#4 2019-03-16 22:40:22

futurebird

How about this: make domestic berry seeds very very hard to obtain. This would make other kinds of farming more important, and it would slow the compost cycle.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#5 2019-03-17 00:02:07

Booklat1

Or make pigs poop too and nerf compost, they're already cheaper to feed.

Any easy food that is a byproduct of composting will be too good unless it has awful food values. Having no easy options to process pigs into food would make for pigs being opted for efficient compost after sheep were obtained and discourage using sheep for poop/mutton making. This would largely depend on the costs of shovel uses, corn and bowl of berries carrot. Pork should still have more uses, even if these are recipes that take long to pay off.
I dont think either pigs or sheep should be too good, really. And we reach soil/food/clothing stability at sheep, so at least soil's high efficiency rate should be achieved later with pigs.

And pies are the trending exploit but milk and berries are bad too. Milk is INSANELY cheap and OP and berries don't really cost much iron/dont need extra tilling. Partial whole milk should skim at least.

I'm very in favor of food decay and removing the +2 bonus too, but only if we get tools to adapt to these.

#6 2019-03-17 00:11:05

Tarr
Banned

Food in general is unbalanced and that's something you either have to get used to or Jason has to rework at a later date like he did with temperature. We've talked over discord of multiple different solutions but obviously these are all different things that can be done to attempt to remedy the issue.

Rip the invisible two off the server: Basically every food on the server gets an invisible +2 modifier to its food value. This is what makes a gooseberry worth five pips instead of being three. At the start of the game we had a +3 modifier which was changed when we still ate a majority of carrots with pies sprinkled in. Removing the invisible two makes yumming more attractive and allows less pip waste on the highest pip foods (omelette, CRB pie, burritos). At 40 different yum items I think it's safe to do something like this.

Rebalance the amount of pips: Basically just double the amount of boxes we have now through doing split pip boxes and rebalance food values against a 40 pip system. Keep food drain the same ratio as it is with the current pips (green biome naked is currently 4.8 so in the new system it would be 2.4). This allows for food values to be balanced better around the amount of effort put into foods. Something like a berry can stay at five pips but now that berry is half as effective as it was previously. With something like this all the food values have to be swapped around but more sensible values can be assigned to foods.

Complex foods > Raw foods: This option just aims to put greater emphasis on making the higher tiered foods. Nerf (or leave alone) things like gooseberries, raw carrots, shucked corn, green beans, and buff things like stew, sauerkraut, buttered bread. Basically as you move up the tech tree your diet requires you to stop eating just gooseberries.

Yuck mechanic: Opposite of the yum mechanic, the yuck mechanic prevents eating food of the same type three times in a row unless it would be fatal otherwise. Starving characters can still eat a yuck food but at a reduced pip gain. Potentially limit this further to refusing to eat it at all should yuck stack high enough on one player. This is a countermeasure to a player just sitting in the berry field eating all the berries at a reduced gain. To clear a yuck chain just match the chain with yum chain of equal value. Another option to clear yuck is to just yum and break off to clear the original yuck.

Meat/wheat decay: As a starter to the food decaying situation both meat and threshed wheat are things that can easily be stockpiled by accident. Since threshed wheat and mutton are byproducts of the compost cycle (if you aren't shearing the last sheep) they are essentially free to a town keeping up with its berry munching population. The mutton/wheat decay system aims to make towns use it or lose it instead of making large mutton or threshed wheat biomes. This encourages the bakers to keep baking (both bread, mutton, and rabbit pies) or risk just losing a massive amount of free food.

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2019-03-17 01:55:21

DestinyCall

I don't think the problem is pies.  It is bigger than that.   

I think we need an overhaul of domestic animals.   Sheep and mutton is overused because there is NO alternative.   We need beef and cow hides from cows.  We need bacon and lard from pigs.  We need poop from all large farm animals   Sheep should not have the monopoly on compost.  Everybody poops.  My mom said so, and she would never lie about something that important.   

Here's what I'm thinking - every domestic animal would provide meat when slaughtered that can be processed into something tasty.  Cows would also provide hides which give clothing options and leather products.   Or you keep cows alive for milk.  Pigs would provide pork AND fat (lard) when slaughtered.  Lard would be used in a variety of ways - both culinary and functional.  Sheep would mostly stay the same.  But ... instead of always pooping when fed, all animals would have a CHANCE to poop.   Pigs have the highest chance, close to 100%, cows have lowest chance (but the pile is double sized), maybe 25%, sheep are in between, around 50%.  These numbers could be adjusted for balance, but the idea would be that compost is viable as long as you have any domesticated livestock.  You are not locked into using sheep.   So if you need more poop, feed a pig.  If you need more thread, feed a sheep.  If you need more milk, feed a cow.  If you want more meat, feed the right animal and slaughter it.

All of the animals would be useful and a little different.  No clear winner, but the best villages would try to have all three and cook with all three meats when resources allowed.

Beef and potato stew.  Bacon and eggs.  Hamburgers.  Pork roast.   The options are limitless.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-03-17 02:05:00)

#8 2019-03-17 02:23:18

fragilityh14

it's true that we need more diversity of everything, but the biggest thing that could be done to balance the food now is that only shorn sheep gives dung, instead of lamb growing up.

Granted, i guess that makes compost require more iron use, and it would make wool clothes cheaper, but they are overpriced now.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#9 2019-03-17 04:30:15

DestinyCall

I don't think that really fixes anything.   

You will still need to have sheep and straw to make compost.  You will still have excess wheat to deal with.  It will still get made into mutton pies and rabbit pies because the value of the pies is high compared with anything else you can currently do with the same ingredients.   The only difference is it will be easier to run out of dirt or pies because the shepherd have to juggle between making more babies for slaughter and feeding more adults for composting. 

Mutton pie would not be a "free food" anymore, but it would still be a village staple.   It would make pie production a little harder, but not break the sheep monopoly on village food production.  Also, wool clothing kinda sucks.   Rabbit is better.

#10 2019-03-17 10:47:19

breezeknight

i think we should move away from the food obsession

maybe add rather obesity as a slow down in movement (yeah, politically incorrect) & even die from it at some point
also nausea from eating the same stuff over & over again, like for the 10th time a berry, for the 10th time the same pie
add a feature widening the yum, like an additional hidden emot by reaching a certain yum level, like /delight
add a favourite food feature giving another secret yum /fav

& i also would prefer the gameplay to be widened in other directions in life like painting, making music (with a limited sound scope of in-screen), making skulptures, bicycles, googles, shelves, wadrobes & closets, architectural elements, movies ... enough with the food for now, we shouldn't live in game just to eat, this is insane, not civilized

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-03-17 10:48:40)

#11 2019-03-17 16:42:50

DestinyCall

Food is necessary for survival.  Once the food supply is secure, then we have more time for other things, like art and music. 

In theory, more advanced towns should reach a point where the food supply is stable and farming/baking is no longer a huge industry so more people can do other things - make airplanes, knit wool caps, plaster adobe walls, construct shrines, form a rock band, etc.   In practice, this is rarely the case right now unless the town's population is declining dangerously.

Board footer