One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-08 22:11:15

Shallotte

Quality of life suggestions for the game

There are a couple things I noticed that I really believe could use some sort of quality of life change.

1. STORAGE

I really think there needs to be food storage and item storage objects in the game. So much stuff is just... lying around on the ground. It's super cluttery, and it just makes it difficult to find things you need(especially with all that sheep dung cluttering sheep pens). I really think things would be a lot cleaner if objects could be placed in a storage unit, and when players click on it; it gives you a clickable list of what you can take. And i'm not saying that there needs to be a specific storage for EVERY item. Just a storage that stores and stacks up 5-10 or so items of a similar type(produce, fertilizer, tools, clothes.)
IP8RzzO.png

You could even take this a bit further, and make it so storage can be locked. Making it so objects like knives are more difficult for griefers to obtain, without either making their own key or killing the person with the key.

PS. We should have the ability to destroy storage units when they are empty. Not with objects in them.

-----

2. ENGRAVING/LETTERS

I feel like engraving tombstones/putting lettering on signs is FAR too over complicated. You can almost spend an entire lifetime crafting one sign. And while wooden lettering is fine for the early game...the problem is that the process doesn't get any easier in the late game at all. I'm especially not at all a fan of tombstone engraving. You have to take wooden letters.... to stone in order to letter the stone...? Which doesn't make much sense. And these tombstones don't engrave the name of the player either, just the relation. Which is especially disappointing, so there isn't much of a point in doing it. This means in the end, players treat their dead like literal garbage instead of apart of the village history. Which is kind of sad. And if you are reborn in that village, you don't get to see the names of all the people you left behind and had been born to since.(However, I still like the system we have currently, that if your character has no relation to the corpse, or if the corpse is old; the identity is permanently lost).

Imagine if tombstones could be read and said things like;

Eve Livingstone (relation)
Died Age 46, Starvation
1 month ago

Much more interesting.

Also, It would be nice for Stone signs to be implemented as an upgrade to wooden ones; and allow for engraving on tombstones/Stone signs with *JUST* the chisel and mallet, alone. Then for a window to pop up(for signs at least) that asks what to put on it- so you can manually type the name or title of the sign to be chiseled in.

This would make signs easier to make for the late game, and would make it easier to organize areas of the town. You could make signs for the carrot patch, signs for the Medical facility, Signs for the bakery, signs for the sheep pen, ect. This way, people in the late game will be able to read signs and know immediately where they are and what the previous generations had set up for what purpose. Very nice, for society and organization sake.

----

3. TEMPERATURE/SICKNESS

I'm not sure how I feel about hunger going down faster or slower with temperature. I respect the idea, but it's kind of weird. Especially when wearing articles of clothing individually does nothing for you outside a building, which strikes me as odd.

I get that any of this would be too WAY big to implement any time soon(or at all), but It would be kind of awesome for temperature to instead cause sickness or other ailments, instead of leeching your hunger bar. Hypothermia for being too cold for too long, heatstroke for being hot for too long. Which forces you to rest and find shelter, otherwise you die. Similar to what happens when you get stung by bugs.

It would also be cool for there to be a weather cycle(a change in weather every 10ish minutes), where if it rains- people will be forced to stay inside or catch a flu. Or a Night cycle every 20 or so minutes; where people will be forced to sleep at some point during the night(for like one minute). This would require being able to make beds or sleep areas to work; but I think it would make the game really interesting. Especially for people who take the role of a medic, and have to be at peoples bedsides to heal illnesses and quarantine those with illnesses that spread.

I get that sickness is probably way too big of an update to do; I just thought i'd mention it anyway.

-------

Bonus; 4. FATHERING

I know having a father in this game can't be done that easily for obvious reasons. But it would be cool if Babies that are born in the nearby vicinity of a male, who is of certain age and of NO RELATION, can be credited as the father(Babies that are born with only related/underage males in the vicinity should not have a credited father, same as now). I feel like males get little to no purpose on the family tree, since they are never accredited with their own children. They just exist.

And even more could be done with this. If the father is from a different family, then the kid should take the fathers last name and not the mothers. Just like how it often is in real life! Then Males who wander away from their own village can continue their family name/tree elsewhere, instead of it dying with the final female member of the family. The game really has a problem right now, where if fertility in a family is bad(too many males and only dying females) it ends the family completely, even when there is enough males in good health to continue.

This kind of system would give males a chance at reviving their family tree with either an Eve or a member of another family. Which would give males equal importance to females in familial longevity. I think that would be an awesome system.

-------

Bonus; 5. Hand holding

The ability to lead other players around. Both cute and functional. No more players getting lost to their death while trying to keep up with you.
dUibtUH.png

Last edited by Shallotte (2019-03-09 00:15:39)

Professional 3D Animator

#2 2019-03-08 23:14:14

breezeknight

Re: Quality of life suggestions for the game

PLZ NO LISTS, no spread sheet game yikes

this would be THE HORROR

the game is good because every thing is visible, touchable
some players surely find that gameplay cumbersome, but it's actually a strong point of OHOL, it sets it apart from all the other games which shorten the management & crafting

also
we have storage units, namely boxes, baskets & now bowls too

the problem with storage units is, they need materials & tech to make while your time & hunger is running off
steal & milkweed for boxes
reed, wheat & soil for baskets
finite clay for bowls

about locks
you can lock chests, same as you can lock doors
but just look at some recent threads in this forum about the problems which arise from locking
cause we have a griefing problem present, it's a multiplayer game

Jason will probably improve upon that with time
but if the crafting ever gets easier & quicker, i doubt it

clothing is actually protecting you from cold & heat, any of it, but a full set of clothing is protecting you quite good
full set means, two shoes, a hat, a loin cloth or skirt, an upper clothing like shawl or coat
you just have to learn which set is the most beneficial & which has the most cost/benefit ratio

weather will be probably introduced at some point, maybe even night & day cycle, who knows what Jason has in store for this game's future, probably not even he himself lol

i am against your first father suggestion
your second father suggestion is already being done, sort of,
there were cases where males have asked a female from another village to settle in their village

i think at some point we will be having some updates about towns & their population

also in general
males have a grave problem related to their inability to get offsprings, if they are the last remaining in a village, then the continuation of their village is doomed as of now
i've been to several such towns/villages/settlements where the males starve themselves, get themselves killed or lead even a bear into the settlement because the game is over for them

therefore i suggested - cabbage children -
an option for males with the help of a mildly complicated recipe to be able to father a child, born out of a cabbage head

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-03-08 23:16:25)

#3 2019-03-08 23:36:44

Shallotte

breezeknight wrote:

PLZ NO LISTS, no spread sheet game yikes

this would be THE HORROR

the game is good because every thing is visible, touchable
some players surely find that gameplay cumbersome, but it's actually a strong point of OHOL, it sets it apart from all the other games which shorten the management & crafting

I disagree this would complicate things and make it a spreadsheet game. I was thinking this:

IP8RzzO.png

If you can only store 5-10 unique objects in it(initially I was thinking 20 objects period. But 5-10 stackable with a limit of 10-20 would be better) then I don't see how that would make it spread sheet at all. Especially since items would still decay; so you will be constantly losing things from within the storage(spoilt items should appear next to or below the healthy version or just disappear from the count).

I just think It would make things cleaner for everyone. Especially if crates were built near forges, farms, bakeries or the medic to desern their purposes. Humans aren't idiots. You can easily figure out that if a crate is next to a farm, thats where you are probably supposed to put all the carrots. Or.... yaknow. Someone else is just going to TELL you thats where the carrots are.

It's just convenient and gives people a place to put things. Like, earlier I was trying to make clothes. But all of the needles and thread were spread randomly in the village. It took me like, 10 minutes of play just to locate our needle and thread. And an additional amount of time JUST looking for our shovels and other tools. Not to mention, things are so cluttered, you often have to try a few times to pick up the actual item you wanted, if you misclicked.

Someone told me to move today because I was in the way of the ONE specific thing they wanted. There was no blank tiles on the map to stand on. Every single area of the village had SOMETHING uselessly sitting in the open for no reason. So in principal, depending on what you needed- EVERYONE was in the way.
(It should be noted that before Decaying was introduced; this was an ENORMOUS issue with one hour one life. Nothing ever went away so you had villages entirely FLOODED with baskets and tools which made everything so difficult)

So I disagree. I believe storage is a good thing. The resources it would take to make would be exceptionally useful over multiple generations. And thats the point. Difficult things to make are normally the most worthwhile.

It certainly doesn't HAVE to be the way I envisioned it. But I feel like other ways would be harder for the developer to implement. Like, individually stacking carrots in a carrot only crate, so the number of them is fully visible in world view. But doing something like that would mean he would have to do the same thing for all objects. IDK. Not an easy compromise to make.

But everything laying all over the ground(for no reason) breaks the immersion for me, personally.

Last edited by Shallotte (2019-03-09 00:28:23)

Professional 3D Animator

#4 2019-03-08 23:46:14

futurebird

breezeknight wrote:

therefore i suggested - cabbage children -
an option for males with the help of a mildly complicated recipe to be able to father a child, born out of a cabbage head

- - -

I agree with you about the lists and menus. The thing that I HATE about minecraft is you are just looking at this dumb inventory with numbers not really using the item. And I like the cabbage patch kid idea.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#5 2019-03-09 01:06:47

breezeknight

sorry, i don't want even an inventory

there are virtually tons of games with the inventory solution

the absolutely unique thing about OHOL is indeed that all happens in the main action field of the game & not in a managment field

the only other field is the type speech field & those few stats we have, reduced to a minimum

i will compare some games that either don't use or use inventory

Dawn of Man
one of the reasons i decided not to buy it is how they treat goods in the game
one doesn't see them even, it's all an inventory thing afaik
the trade takes place in the inventory

TS4
that was also one of the reasons i hated about that sequel, how things were handled via drag & drop within the inventory & not in the field of the game itself
TS3 moved already in that direction but TS4 was the overkill
while TS1 didn't even have an inventory in its beginning !

why i don't play all of the mobile farmville games - i have to drag & drop them literally per hand instead of the minions
with an inventory i would be handling it & not my avatar in game - that's crucial !
the funny (or cunning) thing is, if you look how many of those games are being advertized, in the ads the minions move the things while in those games as they actually have to be played i have to - that's why i don't play them

Impressions Games titles (Ceasar, Pharaoh, Zeus ...)
what i loved & still love about those games is the goods are all visible in the game itself
nothing gets teleported, you see every good transported by people & stored in warehouses, granaries in the main field of the game
you need to connect everything with roads to make it work

Foundation
here again, goods are being transported, have to be transported io to arrive from where they are to where they have to go
i hope the game stays that way & improves upon that (it's early access atm)

The Settlers 3 & 4
that was the main appeal of the game
the life took place in the main field, every good was visible again, there, not in an inventory, not in spread sheets, not in some bar or some number displayed

The Patrician franchise
i tried to get into it, couldn't, because it was a spread sheet feast

i have already problems with how games like Banished handle things
with all the management windows moving the happenings in the game into the background

an inventory is removing the actuality of the life from the game
OHOL as it is now is a life you live - not a game
that's its strong point, it's moving emotionaly
an inventory, would make the game more gamey, i would hate that
even if the goods were better manageable

i think rather more in game options like a shelf, a locker would be better
same as with baskets, bowls, backpacks, boxes - every good is visible, it's a 1:1 thing, nothing is imagined - the game invokes realness that way
you might not notice that, but you would change your attitude towards the happenings in game if you'd move things to an inventory or a spread sheet
the atmosphere of the game changes & your way to deal with the happenings changes, they become distant, you become detached

is one of the reasons i don't use the zoom & the awbz mods
it makes the game gamey
it's a stat window plastered over the main screen where life takes place
the window becomes your life
the life in game steps back

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-03-09 01:18:16)

#6 2019-03-09 01:27:11

breezeknight

5. hand holding ... hm

you clearly didn't play the game for long
the life is fragile, death lurks at every corner
just because one person leads doesn't mean it's not lethal lol

in towns i've been often following others or they me
it makes for better communication also

in the wild, it's quite a silliness, especially among trees & in jungles it's sure suicide
that's why people use zoom mod, i just try my best if needed

another aspect
hand holding could be indeed another griefing exploit
every of those holding suggestions bear that griefing danger in them

& how do you even solve the problem with the hunger of the persons in question ?

btw about suggestions
https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggestions/

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-03-09 01:44:37)

#7 2019-03-09 01:40:32

antking:]#

breezeknight wrote:

5. hand holding ... hm

- - -

but breeznight think about the hilarious sense were going to get if we have hand holding! two people decide to get married so their holding hands during the ceremony... but each of them are starving... but the other one doesn't want to be one who let go first so they just stand there as their hunger slowly goes  down, and right at the end of the ceremony one of the couples just falls... dead! ha I would pay to see that right at the end of the wedding they both die because they were holding hand … oh

but I do agree that holding hands would be exploited, but a way to keep a big group together or to show affection should be implemented for those who don't have the zoom out mod... like me... and many others who haven't thought of this as an appropriate option!

no to inventory to crates!

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#8 2019-03-09 01:51:00

breezeknight

i've been traveling once as a kid of an experienced mother who gave birth middle in the prairies to several kids
we all survived ! & made it back with her to the town & without the necessity of hand holding
that was quite hillarious !
but that was in an open prairies space
all my journeys so far that went through trees ended up either with death of all, death of the others or my death, hand holding will be still useless in such cases

& drop dead because we've forgotten to eat,
yeah, happens to the best of us lol

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-03-09 01:52:26)

#9 2019-03-09 01:55:41

Shallotte

breezeknight wrote:

5. hand holding ... hm

you clearly didn't play the game for long
the life is fragile, death lurks at every corner
just because one person leads doesn't mean it's not lethal lol

in towns i've been often following others or they me
it makes for better communication also

in the wild, it's quite a silliness, especially among trees & in jungles it's sure suicide
that's why people use zoom mod, i just try my best if needed

another aspect
hand holding could be indeed another griefing exploit
every of those holding suggestions bear that griefing danger in them

& how do you even solve the problem with the hunger of the persons in question ?

btw about suggestions
https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggestions/

- - -

Been playing the game since around it came out. lol.

I never said It can't be lethal. I just said it's more fun and a little better than saying 'follow'. I can fully imagine someone leading someone out into the wilderness to kill them on purpose. It is what it is lol.

Last edited by Shallotte (2019-03-09 01:58:16)

Professional 3D Animator

#10 2019-03-09 01:58:03

futurebird

I like the hand-holding idea. It could also help with teaching people in game. Too much time spent wandering.

---
omnem cibum costis

#11 2019-03-09 02:02:00

antking:]#

wait how would you hold on some ones hand? would you just click on them... what would happen if they were holding something? me must know! excuse my gramer

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#12 2019-03-09 02:16:16

futurebird

I think the person would have to offer their hand first if an adult. Then they could be pulled along at a slightly slower speed.

For babies, maybe right click em?

---
omnem cibum costis

#13 2019-03-09 08:26:57

CatX

When an item lies behind a tree, you can see it by hovering your mouse over it.

Perhaps the same should be possible if an item lies behind a person.

However, this could be confusing if you're trying to click on the person, e.g. if you want to pick up a baby. (BTW I wish there was a way to drop the item in your hand without finding an empty tile first. Clutter is stressful when babies are born...)

How about if we could press "shift" to see the outline of items behind other items?
It would also help in the case where griefers have hidden away tools.

Board footer