One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-07 09:27:22

Whatever

Was there an Update?

Maybe an hour ago i started my client and it did an update.
Next i spawned to several eves who abandoned me.
One finally accepted me, and i helped building a village.
But sadly i was not able to get any kids, i was standing next to a fire with a nice temp, and a lot of jum bonus, but nothing helped.
So it looks like all civilizations got wiped out and on top of that the next eves kids will not be able to get more kids, is this how it works?

#2 2019-03-07 09:47:12

breezeknight

Re: Was there an Update?

http://onehouronelife.com/reflector/ser … ion=report

current players number 73, means low

plz take into consideration the game is originally not build to further the lineage
the lineage was a later addition & as you know, is an external tool

the main gameplay & its goals so far are - live a meaningful life no matter what

- - -

#3 2019-03-07 13:41:49

Tarr
Banned

Whatever wrote:

But sadly i was not able to get any kids, i was standing next to a fire with a nice temp, and a lot of jum bonus, but nothing helped.
So it looks like all civilizations got wiped out and on top of that the next eves kids will not be able to get more kids, is this how it works?

Yeah the game updated last night with some bugfixes for the week (adzes get removed with adzes instead of shovels now, salt water pouch has an S on it, melting snowballs no longer deadly, and some other stuff.) So depending on when exactly you played everyone could have been Eves area banning children to each other or if you couldn't get kids it could have possibly been during when the server goes offline for about ten minutes and prevents login.

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2019-03-07 13:47:14

Whatever

Thanks for the info Tarr
I think i read somewhere that when there is an update it will stop people from joining a specific server until everyone is dead and then it restarts? but maybe i am wrong idk
If this is the case, i would like the server just to disconnect me instead of not giving me any childs

Last edited by Whatever (2019-03-07 13:47:52)

#5 2019-03-07 13:52:32

Tarr
Banned

Whatever wrote:

Thanks for the info Tarr
I think i read somewhere that when there is an update it will stop people from joining a specific server until everyone is dead and then it restarts? but maybe i am wrong idk
If this is the case, i would like the server just to disconnect me instead of not giving me any childs

Whenever an update goes out the game will either start with odds or evens. Whatever set of servers get picked will go children of men (no children are born to that server) until everyone has died off those servers in which it will update. All players being born or trying to play at that time will be redirected to the other set (odd to even or even to odd) until both sets of servers have gone through the process.

Also around 4 AM est the servers + game website goes down for about a 10 minute period.

So either:

A) You were on a children of men server which prevented births
B) You were on a server no longer having kids redirected to it (being on an odd server once big server 2 was back up)
C) You were on during the time logins failed.

fug it’s Tarr.

#6 2019-03-07 16:36:16

mric

Whatever wrote:

Indeed rhis is the game as it is intended.
You spawn one life and build a canp or continue an existing camp. But you cannot continuously improve it.
Sometimes you can find an old camp or town and has pleasure to witness changes.

#7 2019-03-07 16:56:20

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, a few things were fixed in terms of content.

But that was not the real reason for the update.

Shhh.....

There is no official update this week, as I work on my GDC talk.

#8 2019-03-07 17:56:09

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

But that was not the real reason for the update.

Shhh.....

Wait.  Is Jason suggesting that something happened in the update, which was not in the update log?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#9 2019-03-07 18:23:53

fragilityh14

he's been saying there was a surprise the whole time, and it wasn't the accidental infinite carrots.

My understanding is that onetech automatically updates from gamecode, so it's not clear to me how he could add something that wouldn't show up as a new object.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#10 2019-03-07 18:41:54

ryanb
Website

fragilityh14 wrote:

he's been saying there was a surprise the whole time, and it wasn't the accidental infinite carrots.

My understanding is that onetech automatically updates from gamecode, so it's not clear to me how he could add something that wouldn't show up as a new object.

There are two different code repositories for OHOL, onetech only updates with the data (content) repo. Changes in the game engine/server repo are not shown on onetech.

Pretty sure the surprise has to do with VOG mode since the latest update includes VOG fixes. I wonder if Jason will demonstrate OHOL through VOG mode in his GDC presentation. That would be fun.

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

Board footer