One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-05 10:41:22

futurebird

Seasons! for farming.

We plant carrots year round, we plant and harvest berries, lambs are born all the time. The trees are always green. Balancing it would be ambitious, but a game with seasons would be intense.

Spring
kill lambs
planting all but potatoes and cabbage
harvest berries
milk
kill calves

Summer
harvest carrots
harvest wheat/corn plant 2nd round
harvest berries
kill pigs
Milk

fall
harvest berries can the bumper crop
harvest wheat and corn again
harvest beans and squash
plant cabbage
plant potatos

winter
harvest cabbage and potatos
prune and care for berries
berry preserves ready
milk

Something like that...

Yes this would be a huge change, but it would make some of the less popular foods much more important. Also the importance of having enough stored food to make it to spring. No berries for one season.

The years couldn't be 60 seconds long though LOL. more like 5 min? or 10?

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-03-05 12:02:05

Averest

Re: Seasons! for farming.

No. Please no.

#3 2019-03-05 12:48:33

Chard

This would be an interesting mod. Maybe organised as a special event. Time massively slowed, seasonal effects.

#4 2019-03-05 17:45:28

JonySky
Website

I would add temperature changes with the arrival of different seasons, the weather would not be static and the temperature would be dynamic.

#5 2019-03-05 17:52:39

fragilityh14

that's way, way too complicated. Though I wouldn't mind seeing a small amount of weather with a limited impact, like slightly changing biome temperature or potentially minerals or a prairie food appears only a short amount of time after rain. I'd say, "or the ability to collect rainwater", but thinking about it, that's obviously the premise of the ponds refilling.

Even basic weather is probably far past the point of diminishing returns for added complexity compared to potential enjoyment, especially as it would fundamentally change the game.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#6 2019-03-06 05:35:05

elemental_slim

It would make more since to have the seasons divided by 15 years/minutes intervals. As there are four seasons. Fifteen years would be quartering the actual playable time span..

sense, not since...

Last edited by elemental_slim (2019-03-06 05:35:41)

#7 2019-03-06 08:47:04

DestinyCall

I'm thinking twenty or thirty minute seasons might be better.   You wouldn't see every season during a single life, but it would give you more time to complete season-specific tasks and would make each life a little different, depending on when you were born relative to the seasons.

Reminds me of game of thrones where the summer season lasts for many years and the winter is just as long.  Winter is coming!

#8 2019-03-06 14:01:13

Spoonwood

fragilityh14 wrote:

that's way, way too complicated.

Seasons works well for Rimworld.  You might want to check out how successful of a game Rimworld is.

Sure, the period would come as several years per season.  But, we could imagine ourselves on a planet which has a multi-year climate cycle.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-03-06 14:02:35)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#9 2019-03-06 17:33:04

JonySky
Website

Sure, the period would come as several years per season.  But, we could imagine ourselves on a planet which has a multi-year climate cycle.

Women have children without contact with anyone, we can create a complete apocalypse from stones and human sacrifices and pork meat can not be fried ... nothing will happen because the game is located in another planetary system where a station complete lasts several years

#10 2019-03-06 18:09:45

DestinyCall

Regarding seasonal temperature variations, I'd like to see biome-specific fluctuations.   During fall and spring, the biome temperatures are the same as current.  During winter, neutral biomes would get even colder.  Not quite as extreme as tundra, but even more cold than normal.   Desert and jungle would remain unchanged.  During the summer, the neutral biomes would "flip" from hot to cold, except for badlands which remains cold.   So while in the swamp, prairie, or grasslands, you would be as hot as if you were in the jungle.   Tundra/badlands would still be cold and jungle/desert would still be the same hotness.     The extreme temperature biomes (desert/tundra) are extremely hot/cold year round.   And jungle/badlands would maintain a consistent temperature year round.  But the other biomes would change with the seasons, so the extra protection of buildings would be useful to maintain consistency through the changing seasons and especially during the winter when things get really cold.     During the summer time, enclosed buildings would not need to have fires going to stay a good temperature.   During the winter, being outside would be harder.   

It would certainly add more challenge, but I think it could be done with the right amount of balancing and preparations.     Seasonal crop rotation would be interesting and add more variety to the game.   Ideally, I would also like to see more options for food storage.  Winter would be rough.

Board footer