One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-03 19:48:10

Whatever

[Idea] Lineage Rework

- When you die, the lineage you lived in will be added to your personal lineage list
- On respawn you can choose between lineages that you lived in and can get reborn in them again (unlimited times)
- If X persons in your lineage curse you, you will get lineage banned, the lineage gets removed form your list.
- You can also choose between respawning as Eve or inside a random lineage.
- You cannot spawn inside lineages that are being fought by one of your lineages (if X people form your village kill Y from another one it will count as war between lineages)

EDIT:
- You can only respawn into a lineage if you died at old age

Last edited by Whatever (2019-03-04 05:59:10)

#2 2019-03-03 20:03:28

CrazyEddie

Re: [Idea] Lineage Rework

Whatever wrote:

- On respawn you can choose between lineages that you lived in and can get reborn in them again (unlimited times)

This is exactly what Jason does not want.

#3 2019-03-03 20:13:57

Whatever

But would people like this? Or not?

#4 2019-03-04 04:27:21

Trick

If anything needs to be changed, it's that I want to see ALL my lineages in order of game play.  The current 'organization', to me, is frustrating.  I play a few games, forget about it for a day or so, and then want to go back to see how my lineage from a couple days ago is going, and I can't find it.  Unless I happen to remember my specific name, it's gone.

I also think it would be cool if it showed "named by".  This could effectively add in 'dads' (because you can have 'fathers' name the kids and then they are permanently linked to you in your lineage), and/or would show who the kid was 'raised' by, or who they were 'adopted' by.

While I would love to be able to return to the same place over and over to finish my 'projects' or check up on the progress of my 'projects', Jason has repeatedly said this is something he doesn't want to do.  I think it would be a cool mod that I certainly would be willing to play, though.

#5 2019-03-04 05:43:36

Chard

I wouldn't use this feature. I can't speak for others though.

Lineage bans make death meaningful. If you die then you may never get to come back. You may never get to see how the new animal pen worked out or if they ever finished building the new nursery. Your story will have ended. Because death is meaningful, life matters. If you can spawn back into your lineage why would anyone live to old age.

I feel like people want to play this game in a very different way to what Jason intended. Maybe that's fine, but the best lives I've lived are the ones where I embraced the finiteness of it all and moved on when it was over.

Just my two cents.

#6 2019-03-04 05:58:07

Whatever

Ok i see your point Chard.

I would like to add this rule:
- You can only respawn into a lineage if you died at old age

#7 2019-03-04 09:10:07

hmrka

There's a way around the current area ban. Just needs some organized people for it to work. And a plane.

Only thing I don't like is that if you /die in a shitty town you can accidently ban yourself from a huge city that happens to be less than 2km away, So I gotta run off and wait to starve instead of /die.

The curse idea you proposed sucks because if you stab a griefer 99% of the time you will get cursed, almost all noobs curse before asking what happend. I do like the idea of living to 60 shortening your lineage ban tho. Or atleast not banning you from the area, just from the family..

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#8 2019-03-04 09:19:12

Greep

Hate to say it, but every suggestion, argument, counter-argument, and compromise so far suggested has been suggested a million times already.  Best bet is to let it go.  In any case, we've got private and custom servers for this sort of thing. 

I'm considering making an option in OCS where we have two cities, one permanent, and one resetting every week, and you can opt into either.  But for right now, low pop servers and current OCS are your only options.

If you're thinking "but those servers don't have a very high population at any given time!" Then either

A) You should maybe convince more people to follow you to join them or
B) They have drawbacks that make their style of play less appealing and maybe Jason is right to not make it this way on the main servers wink

Last edited by Greep (2019-03-04 09:21:54)

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#9 2019-03-04 10:01:28

Whatever

A simple implementation for a mod could be like this:
- If possible, you always spawn inside a lineage you already played before and aren't banned yet.
- If you die of old age you don't get lineage banned.

This way you could join with the normal client.
I would love to see someone host a server that works like this.

Greep wrote:

I'm considering making an option in OCS where we have two cities, one permanent, and one resetting every week, and you can opt into either.  But for right now, low pop servers and current OCS are your only options.

I like your OCS server, and think its great that you host one. But it is very different to the idea i suggested above.
This lineage system would allow lineages to build their own village, if the lineage fails, the village gets abonded (no hard reset every week).
The lineage needs to work well together in order to preserve their village.
It also allows for lineages to fight each other, if they somehow find each other.

#10 2019-03-04 10:27:45

lionon

What I liked to see would be "friends circles". Next to the ever available public circle. One could be part of several "friends circles". And if one of your circles has a live lineage, you'd be placed as a child into that one by default.

If you are born as eve, you could make this lineage a friends-circle lineage of a circle you are in by the "i am blabla" command. "blabla" would be a protected name of that circle.

This way you could play with a group of "friends" beyond the twins thingy. (Here friends taken a little less literal as people you met online you enjoyed playing with, where in contrast twins (tripplets etc) are most often people that know each other IRL).

Last edited by lionon (2019-03-04 10:28:52)

#11 2019-03-04 10:29:16

Greep

@ Whatever: Well, the reason this would not work for OCS or really any mod is critical player mass.  It's <100 players out of the entirety of OHOL, and on average ~2 are playing at once.  I.e.  all lines would die out, due to baby death, even with a large influx of players.  And there could only ever be one "non-permanent" town for the same reasons, there would be nobody to play with if multiple towns were allowed.  Which implies just one spawn point for this "side game" to our awesome capital city.  It's not great, but I can't pull a 10,000 playerbase out of a hat which is what you need to really flesh out your suggestion.

Possible compromises: 
-daily/48 hour spawn reset, and if you die you're simply done for the day.
-If it's detected that the town is failing in some way (e.g., death ratio in a given time period), everyone is sent to a new town

But yeah, what you're suggesting directly is impossible for a mod for playerbase reasons short of jason redirecting everyone to the mod's server lol.

Last edited by Greep (2019-03-04 10:35:20)

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

Board footer