One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-01 20:06:28

fragilityh14

Recycling Iron

a while ago, I stupidly suggested that we need to be able to recycle iron. I found out, that you already can. Fortunately people were nice about it, but since I've been looking for it, one rarely sees scrap iron around

Since then, i've been taking all of my broken tools back to the blacksmith, and asking others to do the same.

It doesn't appear there is any culture of iron recycling in this game.

We talk a lot about uses of iron tools, but i am wholly convinced we are losing far more iron to failure to recycle than misuse of tools.

anyway, my point is just that we should try and do better about returning tools and explaining to the playerbase the importance of recycling iron.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#2 2019-03-01 20:30:35

CrazyEddie

Re: Recycling Iron

Good point. Reclaiming scrap steel from broken tools (or, for that matter, melting down useless toolheads) is one of those important-but-not-obvious bits of knowledge that needs wider dissemination.

#3 2019-03-01 21:13:32

fragilityh14

TBH, i'm pretty convinced that if we actually send out iron expeditions and recycle, we do in fact have the relative prosperity to be able to afford to bury our dead.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#4 2019-03-02 00:35:33

antking:]#

what is also a hidden recycling method is (at least I think so) putting chisels and files into crucibles, after use just smelt them again, or be ready to re smelt them if they are close to breaking.

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#5 2019-03-02 02:00:47

CrazyEddie

oh, that's clever

don't tell Jason or he'll "fix" it

#6 2019-03-02 03:30:07

BlueDiamondAvatar

As a frequent "carter of stuff" I see it as my sworn duty to take every broken steel tool and immediately carry them somewhere near the edge of the smithing area.  If there is a second one I will combine them for scrap steel, ASAP.

I often find these broken tools in out of the way corners at the edge of fields, regions of chopped trees, etc.  In other words, fragility is absolutely right, there are a lot of people who see a broken steel tool as trash, not a time-sensitive opportunity to recover iron.

Take broken tools to your smithy!  And tell the smith what needs to be replaced.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#7 2019-03-02 15:42:32

PeaGirl

Very noble cause. Issue is

- People very rarely know this, up until now I hope.
- Broken tool has decay time, meaning you may lose 1/2 steel if you don't break other tools in time.
- Shears.... I hate shears. 2 steel for one tool, but sometimes can't have nice things.

but then again

+ God chisels. Those never die... as long as you know when to resmelt it.
+ God knifes. Those never die... when you wish they would, considering you cannot undone it when it's done.
+ God files. Those never die... but gooses do.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#8 2019-03-02 18:40:11

futurebird

Thanks for mentioning this. I now take the tools to the forge and combine them when they break.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#9 2019-03-02 22:21:05

Trick

antking:]# wrote:

putting chisels and files into crucibles, after use just smelt them again

DO NOT PUT FILES INTO CRUCIBLES!!

They are a pain in the ass to make because they require goose oil.  If you put the only file in a crucible, someone has to find the bow and arrow, find a goose, kill it, cook it over the coals, then make another file piece, oil it, and chisel it.

I wonder if you're one of the people who has put my file into a crucible and made me want to rage quit.  Stop doing that.

#10 2019-03-02 22:37:13

Oblong

Why the hell is there the option to put files into crucibles. File blanks I understand but why files.

EDIT: I see why now but imagine this: You’re making the first file of the camp. You just finished your newly made file after oiling and chiseling it. Then some kid says “WE NEED IRON” grabs the file before you’ve done ANYTHING with it, and dumps it back into a bowl while eating the other half of the goose.

Last edited by Oblong (2019-03-02 22:40:42)

I don’t talk in-game unless it’s dire.

#11 2019-03-03 00:26:52

Trick

Oblong wrote:

Why the hell is there the option to put files into crucibles. File blanks I understand but why files.

EDIT: I see why now but imagine this: You’re making the first file of the camp. You just finished your newly made file after oiling and chiseling it. Then some kid says “WE NEED IRON” grabs the file before you’ve done ANYTHING with it, and dumps it back into a bowl while eating the other half of the goose.

This scenario has happened to me almost exactly.

And I wanted to punch a fucking wall in real life.  I was so frustrated.

DO NOT RECYCLE FILES!!

#12 2019-03-03 15:54:04

Mr.XIX

Oblong wrote:

... while eating the other half of the goose.

I'm not sure whether you can oil your file with the second half of the goose.
Is that bug fixed yet?

Board footer