One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#101 2019-03-07 03:15:10

antking:]#

Re: Yum bonus tutorial - step by step guide to start with x10 yum chain

Tarr vs Pien vs spoonwood vs destinycall who will win? who will lose? who doesn't care any more? ….

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#102 2019-03-07 08:22:07

DestinyCall

antking:]# wrote:

Tarr vs Pien vs spoonwood vs destinycall who will win? who will lose? who doesn't care any more? ….

Me.   I tried my best, but there's no use talking about food efficiency with someone who doesn't understand half the words you are using.

#103 2019-03-07 14:15:35

Booklat1

its like talking to a rock

a person comparing single time making of a knife to constant shovel breaking from potatoes is just lacking too much.

i was away for 3 days and spoon hasnt realized yet the disgraceful noob they are

#104 2019-03-07 17:35:54

Spoonwood

Booklat1 wrote:

a person comparing single time making of a knife to constant shovel breaking from potatoes is just lacking too much.

I'm pretty sure I found plenty of iron for shovels.  Also, making six shovel heads in a single forging fire comes as possible.  Twisted didn't break half that many... and he didn't even bother to cook any potatoes.

Booklat1 wrote:

i was away for 3 days and spoon hasnt realized yet the disgraceful noob they are

Oh hey look... an attempt at an ad hominem.  Plenty of people were members of a Spoon family or multiple spoon families a while back.  But hey, go on telling yourself that I'm a noob.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#105 2019-03-07 17:54:52

Booklat1

Spoonwood wrote:

Milk also pressures the water and soil supply.

milk at 0 yum, from corn plant= 560

green beans
at 15 yum, full plant= 6 x (4 + YUM) = 114
at 20 = 144
at 30 = 204
50 = 324
80 = 504

carrots
at 15 yum, full plant= 5 x ( 7 + YUM) = 110
at 20 = 135
at 50 = 285
at 105 = 560

potatoes
at 0, full plant = 5 x (6 + YUM) + 5 x (6 + YUM + 1) = 65
at 10 yum = 165
at 20 = 265
at 30 = 365
at 50 = 565

#106 2019-03-07 18:04:46

Spoonwood

Booklat1 wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

green beans
at 20 = 144
at 30 = 204
50 = 324
80 = 504

carrots
at 20 = 135
at 50 = 285
at 105 = 560

potatoes
at 10 yum = 165
at 20 = 265
at 30 = 365
at 50 = 565

Pretty sure I was comparing milk to eggs.  You left out the part where I talked about eggs.  Your numbers also don't account for fertility.  Furthermore, your numbers on milk aren't necessarily correct.  You never know how the bow and two arrows got made.  Nor how the rope for the bucket got made.  And also, carrots will almost surely make sense before milk no matter the numbers.  Nor do your numbers account for any other foods in the yum chain to get up to whatever numbers you pick.  Oh... and the pen can cost soil and water also.

Danish Clinch.

#107 2019-03-07 18:11:15

Booklat1

Spoonwood wrote:
Booklat1 wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

green beans
at 20 = 144
at 30 = 204
50 = 324
80 = 504

carrots
at 20 = 135
at 50 = 285
at 105 = 560

potatoes
at 10 yum = 165
at 20 = 265
at 30 = 365
at 50 = 565

Pretty sure I was comparing milk to eggs.  You left out the part where I talked about eggs.  Your numbers also don't account for fertility.  Furthermore, your numbers on milk aren't necessarily correct.  You never know how the bow and two arrows got made.  Nor how the rope for the bucket got made.  And also, carrots will almost surely make sense before milk no matter the numbers.  Nor do your numbers account for any other foods in the yum chain to get up to whatever numbers you pick.  Oh... and the pen can cost soil and water also.

YOU NEED OVER 50 YUM TO MAKE THESE FOODS BARELY ACCEPTABLE, THEY ARE BAD FOODS

#108 2019-03-07 18:55:21

Booklat1

its not ad hominem if your adversary is a liar and an idiot

I say liar because:

Spoonwood wrote:

Like DestinyCall and booklat1 who are still deliberately ignoring the conversation about yum in this thread which was originally about yum?

When I mentioned that here

Booklat1 wrote:

spoon, its obnoxious that you tell me to increase others yum when im telling you all along that milk adds yum for much more people than beans and corn.

Again, math evidence saying resource-wise it doesnt pay off. Fertily is one argument for yum, not for bad yum.

Milk has more bites than corn, giving more people yum, so does popcorn, skim milk and stew.
Also, its absurd that you ask me to talk about fertility and completely denies betame's beautiful cost analysis (and the conclusions that result from it)

HERE

Booklat1 wrote:

bad foods need very high yums
all bites eaten in different chains/people
for it to MATCH better foods

to end this;
bonus of 21 food chain: 20 + 19 +... 1= 210
milk + skin: 140 + 80 = 220 + 10 people at +1 yum.

bad foods are bad, even for yum. make good foods so EVERYONE can easily build up.

AND HERE

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 866#p47866

plus all the discussions with yum, waste and base costs-efficiency you pretended to understand:

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 616#p47616

So about fertility:

Booklat1 wrote:

You refuted nothing, fertility is for big servers in which yumming badly is proven to be a waste since it takes many people at high yums for it to not be wasteful. Every single one of spoons arguments were either answered before  or only apply to sp.

What is better, an entire village at mid yum or one clown at 20? I've also proved corn plants can be used for 4 types of yum without ever eating it raw. what is better for yum, the two milks, a popcorn and one left for stew or 4 raw corns?

and here

Booklat1 wrote:

Fertility is the only reasonable argument but dont overuse it, heat pays as much a factor as yum and you'll freeze to death without axe, so skipping iron is pathetic. Eves or eve kids need an axe (unless kindling is extremely abundant)

Fertility is btw, not the only factor to demographics. Famines still occur a lot pre-sheep which is why you need them for stability, though its not bad at all to make some pies now assuming you use wild wheat. But you cant have populations grow without tech progression, thats would be a Malthusian hell. Sheep and pump are the last techs we absolutely need for a village to last long term in multiplayer, but only sheep needs rushing.

As to why I think you're an idiot:

Spoonwood wrote:
Booklat1 wrote:

Oh hey look... an attempt at an ad hominem.  Plenty of people were members of a Spoon family or multiple spoon families a while back.  But hey, go on telling yourself that I'm a noob.

Spoonwood wrote:
pein wrote:

tarr told me the city wasnt good enough to play in it

You are worried about the opinion of the guy who raids tutorial areas with planes?

Compare tarr's elder lines with your own REDACTED SPOON LINES WERE SINGLEPLAYER
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=2975637
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=2978166

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=3710155
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=3707455
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=3707266

Last edited by Booklat1 (2019-03-07 20:15:20)

#109 2019-03-08 14:05:09

Spoonwood

Booklat1 wrote:

Compare tarr's elder lines with your own REDACTED SPOON LINES WERE SINGLEPLAYER

The families you put up from Tarr also happened before the temperature overhaul, which I think would have some relevance for any comparison.  I don't know whether Tarr's lines started from scratch (Eve makes the first tools including the first sharp stone and the primary tools needed for clay firing and the rabbit snare) or whether Eve found a city.  Also, and this isn't throwing shade at Tarr at all since the Eve can play extremely well and the family still die out in a few generations, you selected Tarr's best lines...

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=3273432
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=2933730
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=2886630 (not sure that one was one of the main servers at the time, but it could have been... killing boars at the end of an Eve's life is one thing, but when that child was 5 strikes me as a little early... so if it were the main server seems like bad luck)

Most of my Eve runs on the main server happened before the bigserver update.  I definitely had families that wouldn't last more than 6 generations.  The more I played the more like it seemed like there was a few things I could do to help, and beyond that, the family living all that long just lay out of my hands (I didn't do the die in your early 40s and come back as a child trick).  I don't know how to access any of those lines anymore, unfortunately.  In one of my families my child's final words were "there was so much food mom, but they all starved."  I had one lineage that lasted 31 or 32 generations where I found the remnants of a town with sheep running around and some wells, and a small farm as I recall.  I think I got born into that lineage later, but they had moved somewhere else and were doing fine.  I did have a 30 generation lineage which started from scratch.  One of my son's final words were about the location of some iron vein (which I liked as a good sign).  I got reborn into at some point.  I learned things like there were still unpicked milkweed stalks in the home grassland at like generation 21 (again, the grassland was enormous), and someone was zipping around in a car.  In all of my lines I did not process iron a single time myself.  I helped my children a few times, but after setting smithing and farming up some, I'd gather iron thinking that I had a better hint at where iron lay since I had seen more of the map's layout while looking for a spot.  I recall in the 30 generation family I also went boar hunting, including killing one in a grassland.  Happily my children had made a good sized farm early, and others were processing the iron which they had mostly brought home (I recall bringing home 3 iron in that game).  I got them a dead goose, though I don't recall if it ended up going to the oil filed blank or not.  I never tried cooking 7 of the pies as an Eve, or stew as I hadn't done that myself then.  I would bring home or plant corn and beans.  I did usually cook eggs (I think I forgot once or had trouble finding a flat rock in time).  And that's my tie in back to the discussion about yum.  I did cook eggs before making milk.

Danish Clinch.

#110 2019-03-09 06:16:29

pein

i think you influence around 9 gens with your work, 4 gen what you see and interact with
that's generally my influence with compost, baskets and plans i leave behind, keeps up interest and feeds people who don't know how to produce more water and soil
so not a huge deal to be born onto long lineages or others extending your lineage (even if morti made a lot of cities, all the pens, cistern, fences, ovens were made by me in early lineages that lasted longer, like West family or the grave biome city)

but you spoonwood just try to deny everything
and if you don't do tools, no one will do it for you, are you really that influential if you don't leave tech behind? no

tarr can choose good locations, reach tools and pen all alone, and he does it often

still no point of this topic, other than is the most viewed on this week
i still doubt jason wants yum as main mechanic of the game, it isn't currently and that's fine
yum is for noobs
mid level yumming makes you selfish and ineffective

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#111 2019-03-09 08:07:45

futurebird

Ok but popcorn is fun. It makes a fun sound, when you pop it and it's nice small bites for kids. Potatoes are really funny and small, if they stacked I'd like them more. Green beans are kind of a waste, but still.

Isn't this supposed to be a fun game?

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#112 2019-03-09 08:36:03

DestinyCall

Popcorn is just fine.  There are better uses for corn, but they are all limited in one way or another.  If you don't have a cow or spare bucket, you can't make milk.  If you don't have any more squash or empty crockpots, you can't make stew.  Not that many people bother to make a goose farm.  Might as well make popcorn with the spare corn.  It is a nice efficient small bite food.  It is only over-shadowed because corn is one of the most versatile crops and has many awesome uses

Potatoes would also be a nice food, if not for the high tool use for harvesting.  I wish it could be changed to a SINGLE shovel use to create a "dug potato row" which could then be harvested by hand for five potatoes.  From what I can gather, it used to cost ten extra tool uses - one for picking up each potato and another for setting them down.  Now it "only" costs five extra tool uses.  Not a great crop to mass produce, which is a little ironic, considering it was, historically, a cheap food staple in the real world.  Unfortunately, raw potatoes suffer from the same problem as eggs.   They usually end up as floor clutter with no one bothering to make them into something edible.  I wish we could get some potato soup or other culinary uses for the humble potato. 

Green beans are pretty meh.  Beans are not as versatile as corn.  And all the processed foods that use beans use the entire row, so they are one of the more costly food crops.  If I have a spare bowl, I'd rather fill it with popcorn or stew, rather than green beans.   

For what it is worth, I find working out efficient food strategies to be fun.  But I realize that I'm a little weird. :-)

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-03-09 15:32:30)

#113 2019-03-09 09:08:33

pein

i was in blackbear 22th gen
made a nice treeline attached to pen, 1 side the pen wall, 2 side trees, south left it open
makes for a nice tree room or goose farm or something
i wont see it but someone will like it
its so cheap, i used a soil pile, a hoe, a shear, basket, bowl and not more than 10 minutes
meanwhile getting new horse, planted milwkeed, composting

i actually killed the bison and 3 cows
2 cows at first, as they were cluttering the pen, then a guy still fed it but for a single milk
also i took that bucket cause we needed another core, and we had the palm oil and the sulfur, also i could rest my horse in a tiny biome so as a side project i put it up then took it down and third time riding there took it home
each time carry a mango leaf and killed off the cows, then the bison as we already had a cow pen attached above

we had variety but people just ate berries mostly, the roleplayers just talked in fire, the rooms are small and unfinished, the pen just too far from main place
compost and water wasn't really taken care of and the forge area was kinda small too

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#114 2019-03-09 14:02:05

Spoonwood

pein wrote:

but you spoonwood just try to deny everything
and if you don't do tools, no one will do it for you, are you really that influential if you don't leave tech behind? no

I think I already mentioned my children making steel tools.  And it wasn't even always the case that I saw my children making steel tools.  So, no, others can do it for you.  One run I had my son make an extra rabbit snare or two (I always brought one when looking for a location) and like three backpacks by the time I was in my 50s.  I think I brought home 14 iron in two runs, but I don't recall that iron starting to get processed by the time I died.  It isn't like only Eve can make steel tools.  That run lasted for 20 some generations, as I recall.  I did some some Asian streamers playing it later and the iron had gotten processed... after I died.  A streamer named WolvenScar played it later and he thought it might last 40 or 50 generations, but it died out.  Not due to a lack of multipurpose newcomen technology.  But, because there were no fertile girls.  One of the men even said "all that work" when they were working on a diesel engine for a diesel water pump.  But, no fertile girls so that was the end.

One of my early runs I also only had a daughter once I found a spot that I kept.  She was new and just farmed.  I think I only gathered 3 iron, but honestly, I might not have even gotten any.  Still lasted 20 generations. 

Even after the temperature overhaul, I saw someone post a link with a family tree from yesterday or from the day before that lasted I think 30 some generations.  The Eve died at 38.  Did she even make an axe?

pein wrote:

tarr can choose good locations, reach tools and pen all alone, and he does it often

That doesn't say anything about the condition of his farm or food supply in general.  And that's nothing about the quantity of his food supply, nor the quality of it.  And no, I don't believe that he does everything alone once you include the farm.  Why did you leave his farm out pein?  I think pre-temperature overhaul also got mentioned.  Before the temperature-overhaul and before the bigserver update, why would a pen that early come as all that useful?  Honestly, before the temperature overhaul and the bigserver update I would often wander in the home grasslands.  Usually I would discover like a half a dozen untouched soil pits in the home grassland.  So what would the sheep be for that early?  For medical treatment?

Also, before the temperature overhaul, good spots had some good temperature spots for naked farmers. 

pein wrote:

still no point of this topic, other than is the most viewed on this week
i still doubt jason wants yum as main mechanic of the game, it isn't currently and that's fine
yum is for noobs
mid level yumming makes you selfish and ineffective

*laughs* New players don't understand yum.  Being impressed at the quantity of iron brought home makes for *a* sign of a newer player.  After all, no one can eat iron or become more fertile from iron.  And trying to increase fertility by yum to keep the Eve's lineage going simply isn't selfish (unless that person is Eve).

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-03-09 14:04:35)

Danish Clinch.

#115 2019-03-09 14:18:54

futurebird

DestinyCall wrote:

Not that many people bother to make a goose farm.

I would but I can't figure out how to kill them. I put them on a stump, use the ax but can't kill them. Is it a two person job?

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#116 2019-03-09 15:58:03

DestinyCall

Killing a goose is like uprooting a berry bush.

Either two people coordinating their actions or one person with perfect timing.   It is very time sensitive.   You only have a second to strike before the goose moves off the stump.  I recommend loading geese into a cart, bring them to a stump, then place the axe at your feet.  Take a deep breath to find your center, then drop the goose on the stump and immediately swap to the axe and chop it.  If the goose escape, chase it down and try again.   It gets easier with practice.

If you have a slow connection, you can find a partner.  One person holds axe, other person holds goose.  Chop as soon as goose is placed on the stump.

Cooked goose is a decent food.  The food value is pretty good for a fairly low cost (even lower for wild geese, but they are limited).  Also, they do not require a plate or bowl.  Only major downside is the issue of space.  They are stowable in a pack like burrito or pie, but mass-producing geese is problematic because each goose fills a tile (or basket/box slot) and they leave behind bones, like cooked rabbit.   Pies pack a lot more pips into a smaller package and burritos can be stacked on a plate to store six on a tile without box. 

Also, in the majority of villages, live geese clutter the sheep pen and no one bothers harvesting them for food, so that is unfortunate.  Ideally, live geese should be stored in boxes for maximum efficiency and ease of processing.  Then your sheep pen is free and you don't have to run around chasing geese when you have a full cartload or two ready to go.   If you make a pine tree farm near the sheep pen and make one side of the pen into boxes, you can incubate eggs in sheepdung, move the geese into the boxes, chop down a pine tree, then process all the geese with very little wasted time.

I like chopping geese in the middle of town, if possible, so I can see people's reaction to witnessing the head-choping animation for the first time.  Makes me chuckle. ;-)

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-03-09 16:02:24)

#117 2019-03-10 03:57:23

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

Ideally, live geese should be stored in boxes for maximum efficiency and ease of processing.

Sledges can get walked over, while boxes can't.  So, I think sledges would come as preferable to boxes, though I might have missed something.

Danish Clinch.

Board footer