#26 2019-02-27 00:35:10

Booklat1

Re: Yum bonus tutorial - step by step guide to start with x10 yum chain

still bad as youll waste tool usage.

#27 2019-02-27 00:54:34

Greep

Heh, the proverbial stable town.  One day we'll see it XD

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#28 2019-02-27 02:01:34

DestinyCall

CrazyEddie wrote:
Booklat1 wrote:

yumming bad foods is selfish and no one should do it

Everyone should do it!

Yum is a toy, and everyone should play with the toys. That's what they're here for.

Just make sure the village is stable and food-secure first.

Are you suggesting this is some kind of "game" where we are suppose to be having "fun", Eddie? 

That's crazy talk!   smile

#29 2019-02-27 14:13:23

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

I find it pretty depressing that you still don't see a problem with making all 8 pie types.   They are not at all equal, even with yum bonuses. 

Please yum responsibly.

Not yumming enough is yumming irresponsibly.  No, there is nothing wrong and everything right with making all 8 pie types.  It's the quickest way to increase the yum potential of a colony.

DestinyCall wrote:

Nope, that is actually a little less than the pips contained in a whole rabbit pie.   55 pips vs 56 pip (14x4).

Your numbers actually come as enough to prove my point.  Overeating 2 pips with a rabbit filling pie is easy.  So, no, players won't achieve the same result just by eating rabbit pie.  Additionally, and more convincingly consider all of the pips you get from eating 10 yum.  For example, if you ate popcorn (3), a mushroom (6), green beans (10), berry (15), berry in a bowl (20), shucked corn (25), an onion (31), sauerkraut (37), a whole potato (43), a half baked potato (49), and include the pips from yum (the numbers in parentheses don't), you're easily outdoing the rabbit pie.  So, again, you can't achieve the same result with a rabbit pie in your backpack.  Furthermore, 10 yum is fairly low. 

DestinyCall wrote:

Spoonwood wrote:

Finally, there are no "crappy" foods.  Every food contributes to a player's pip bar.  Every food eaten helps to prevent starvation.

This is your main problem, I think.  There ARE crappy foods.

Nope.  Every food contributes to yum and gives the player at least one pip when eaten. 

DestinyCall wrote:

If two different food options can be made from the same ingredients or two different food crops can be grown in the same deep row, one of those foods might be a lot better than the other one.

Both crops should get grown.  The problem lies with making foods into choices instead trying to grew a diversity of foods.

DestinyCall wrote:

Green beans are BAD.  Shucked corn is BAD.  Mangoes are a waste of time.   Do not eat these if you have other options.   Yum bonus does not always make a bad food "good".  It just makes it "less bad".

Nope.  Mangoes with 12 yum are better than omelettes.  Mangoes with 6 yum are better than rabbit pie.  Shucked corn with 11 yum is better than rabbit pie.  Green beans with twelve yum are better than rabbit pie with 12 yum.  And 12 yum isn't much.  Reaching more than 15 yum comes as well achievable if all pie types get eaten (8), there's stew (9), there's both milks (11), there's bread and buttered bread (13), green beans and shucked corn (15).  And that 15 yum can get achieved without much overeating and starting at age 14.  That doesn't even include a staple like turkey, berries, berry in a bowl, omelettes, cooked rabbits, carrots, popcorn or any of the wild foods. 

DestinyCall wrote:

So you are going to save pips by wasting them?   That makes no sense.

Yumming doesn't waste pips.  Most preparation of yummy foods involves cooking, and that always increases the number of pips available, regardless of yum.

DestinyCall wrote:

I've explained the math on fresh corn and green beans to you before.  I'm not going to waste my breath trying again.

No, you didn't explain such before, because you didn't account for overeating.

DestinyCall wrote:

Suffice it to say, you waste a lot LESS food by making stew and feeding it to your children than by making a bowl of green beans and feeding fresh corn and popcorn.

No, that does not suffice.  It does not account at all for what children eat after that.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#30 2019-02-27 14:19:37

Spoonwood

Booklat wrote:

let go spoon, if you cant see why 24 food for x is worse than 560 also for x you shouldnt be discussing food value.

No honest calculations say that.  None which include overeating especially.  None which include the pip values of the foods eaten for yum.

Booklat wrote:

thats what you trade if you go beans intead of milk, and you insist its a good trade. destiny is right, its depressing.

Destiny is wrong and trying to force choices between foods.  I am not trying to force choices between foods.  Why would you ever go green beans instead of milk?  Why would you ever go milk instead of green beans?  Neither of those choices makes sense once you can get both.  Eating both in a lifetime makes sense.

Booklat wrote:

lets make this clear, resource wise and comparing with only eating mutton pies you get carrots being worth it at only 17 yum and assuming all five in a plant are eaten as such. green beans and corn are worse.

Nope.  Mutton pies require kindling and dough.  Mutton pies also require 1/4 of a bowl of a berries, and a carrot to make, or a venture out into the wild.  It takes 9.25 pips to make mutton (37 for 4 raw mutton), and you give up 16 more pips because you give up bread.  Carrots, corn, and green beans don't give up kindling or pips to make.  Also, 17 yum is kind of what I achieve now on average when starting at 14.  If I were starting earlier, my yum probably would be higher, if other people were preparing crops for yumming (17 is the number of meals yum).  So, really, if you're starting at age 3 or 4, why aren't you getting to 17 yum?

Booklat wrote:

yumming bad foods is selfish and no one should do it

Not yumming leads to more overeating, less opportunities for fewer players, more berry munching, and comes as inefficient with respect to resources.

Booklat wrote:

thats 56 and berry carrot rabbit pie gives total 76.

With 10 yum, it's actually 55.  But, that doesn't account for the foods you ate.  If you ate popcorn (3), a mushroom (6), green beans (10), berry (15), berry in a bowl (20), shucked corn (25), an onion (31), sauerkraut (37), a whole potato (43), a half baked potato (49), and include the pips from yum (the numbers in parentheses don't), you're easily outdoing the rabbit pie.  (+ 49 56) = 105 is well more than 75.  So, that's well more than any pie.  You didn't bother to check here.  Specifically, you didn't bother to check how many pips you would get from eating enough foods to get 10 yum and how many pips those foods would give you. 

So again, 10 yum is better than any pie.

Danish Clinch.

#31 2019-02-27 14:22:02

Spoonwood

CrazyEddie wrote:

Just make sure the village is stable and food-secure first.

Making foods for the purposes of yum comes as the quickest way to food stability.

Danish Clinch.

#32 2019-02-27 17:32:21

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

No, you can't achieve the same result by keeping a pie in your backpack once you have +10 yum.  (+ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10) is well more than any pie.

DestinyCall wrote:

Nope, that is actually a little less than the pips contained in a whole rabbit pie.   55 pips vs 56 pip (14x4).  So yes, you can achieve the exact same result by packing an extra pie.   Yum bonus gets steadily better as you chain higher, but it also gets progressively harder to maintain.  Pies are easy and readily available.  Keeping a pie in your backpack and replacing it when it gets low requires significantly less effort than keeping a +10 yum chain from breaking.

Spoonwood wrote:

Your numbers actually come as enough to prove my point.  Overeating 2 pips with a rabbit filling pie is easy.  So, no, players won't achieve the same result just by eating rabbit pie.  Additionally, and more convincingly consider all of the pips you get from eating 10 yum.  For example, if you ate popcorn (3), a mushroom (6), green beans (10), berry (15), berry in a bowl (20), shucked corn (25), an onion (31), sauerkraut (37), a whole potato (43), a half baked potato (49), and include the pips from yum (the numbers in parentheses don't), you're easily outdoing the rabbit pie.  So, again, you can't achieve the same result with a rabbit pie in your backpack.  Furthermore, 10 yum is fairly low.

And this is a great example of why I can't talk math with you.   Even when you provide the numbers, you don't pay attention to them or consider the practical in-game application.

Let's look at your example of a +10 yum chain and compare it with eating rabbit pie.  The ten food items you identified total up to 49 pips without yum.   With the additional yum bonus from chaining, you get 55 additional pips, for a total of 104 pips of food (actually only 94 pips, since you don't get a bonus for the first bite, but I'll ignore that).    Each bite of rabbit pie gives a flat 14 pips, assuming no waste and no yum chaining.  Each pie contains 4 bites, so 56 pips from each pie.  Eight bites of pie would give 112 pips of food.   So you could either eat ten different low-pip foods or two rabbit pies to gain roughly the same amount of food.   Interestingly, with this particular chain, you are actually eating MORE frequently when yum-chaining (10 bites) versus eating nothing but pies (8 bites).  Since the foods are small, you need a longer chain before you start to save time by being able to "skip" meals. 

On the plus side, the high yum bonus managed to double the value of these small foods.  Without yum, they would be worth less than four bites of rabbit pie.  After yum, they provide a similar amount of food as eight bites of rabbit pie.   So the yum bonus from chaining those ten foods has essentially given you an "free" pie.    Extending your yum chain longer will provide additional "free pies" at shorter intervals, since the chain stacks higher.   At  +14 yum, you've earned another free pie.  At +18 yum, you earn another one.   If you manage to make it to +21, you get another free pie from yum alone.   So that means that by chaining your yum over twenty, you have generated bonus yum equivalent to four meat pies.   At these higher numbers, you also start to see significant time savings, since each link in the yum chain is providing a bonus "bite".  You will need to eat half as often now.   That pretty impressive.   

But ... how much time did you spend making expensive, labor-intensive foods to achieve a +20 yum chain?  How many "bad" foods did you eat raw instead of processing them into more pip-dense alternatives?   How much of your life did you spend searching for the next yum option or passing over easily accessible foods because they were "meh"?      If you ended up spending more time and effort maintaining your yum bonus than it would have taken to MAKE an extra set of four meat pies .... was it really worth all that additional work?   

You could have just put an extra pie in your backpack and skipped out on the whole thing. In the time it takes to make pork tacos, you can produce baskets and baskets of meat pies and crock pot after crock pot of stew. 

Time is a limited resource in this game.  Labor is also limited.     If you are playing solo, it is easy to set-up a yum station and chain yum as high as you like.   When you die of old age, you can just come back and pick-up where you left off.   In this context, a high yum bonus means less time worrying about your next meal and more time to focus on large projects.  But in a multiplayer village, you only have 60 minutes to make a difference.   If your goal is to keep your village alive for future generations, it makes a lot more sense to make hearty stew and tasty meat pies, rather than a yum station filled with snack foods that will be quickly consumed by hungry players without regard for yum.   

Yum is great.   And there's nothing wrong with yum-chaining to get some free pips.   But don't use yum as an excuse to eat a lot of crappy foods and make life harder for the rest of your village.  There are many interesting food options available between the extremely good and the extremely bad food choices in this game.   Eating raw cooking ingredients is lazy yumming.  It wastes valuable time and resources.    If you are interested in yumming responsibly, take the time to diversify the village's food supply in GOOD ways that benefit more than just yourself and your personal yum chain.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-02-27 21:43:52)

#33 2019-02-27 21:52:37

Peremptive

I pretty much agree with destiny. I like learning to make all the different foods, and have lots prepared in my solo town. But I don't eat them, because of the hassle to make them all. I just keep rabbit/mutton pie and stew at home to eat until 50 or so. Then for my last years I stick close to or inside my building, and eat berry, bowl berry, popcorn, sauerkraut, the milks, and mangoes as needed which are all very easy and fast to make. Pies are the only food that makes sense to carry in your BP and it is much faster to just drop things and eat from your BP than to run back to a yum area.

If we talk about main server towns there is no contest. Pies are so much food in so little time if you have the plates and baskets for it, wheat is easy to get, meat keeps showing up from the pen and also tons of rabbits due to clothes. The only working model I have seen post update is to have an intensive pie baking operation that sends baskets of pies all over the place.

#34 2019-02-27 23:22:58

Mr.XIX

TL DR; (for everybody who can't be bothered to read more then 5 sentences in a single post)

1. Numbers say you shouldn't eat raw food for low yum! bonuses.
2. Time is the most precious resource, which is often wasted looking for food.

Did I miss anything?

#35 2019-02-27 23:40:21

Averest

I like to keep a bit of popcorn around the family fire for feeding emergencies. It can save anyone, especially the young or old.

Oh no, I just turned old and I'm watching four babies! What do I do? Popcorn tops off all the babies so that a replacement can come and take over. 

Corn is soo incredibly productive and while its primary use should be milk and stew, there's only so much stew and milk you can make in smaller towns. Having dried cobs laying about just takes up space. They're only /potential/ food at this point and actual realized food can be just what you need in a pinch.

Also the popcorn animation is fascinating and satisfying. It's fun!

#36 2019-02-28 00:07:47

Booklat1

tl dr spoon

Your main issue is having no clue how costs work and overvaluing how much yum gives. You count the waste wheat we get from composting but not the absurd iron use of growing beans.

tl dr ending

betame has made math on iron costs of food, factoring pretty much every cost.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4700

at no yum we know milk is 28x better than raw corn, for example, and mutton pies and berries are super cheap.

but costs are not the only factor, waste exists and we had discussions on it before
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5047

here i both demonstred how mutton pies are better than most pies at 1/3 of waste if composting is on and created a funcion to define average wastes. Turns out, overeating means little for cheap foods.

somewhere here yum came up and betame found this

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 287#p43287

there were still good/bad foods, but yumming responsibly was a thing, even for bad foods at high yums. i had quite the suspicion i missed something though. i did.

this came up again when fragility made this post, you may remember
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5260

to me what is clear here is
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 191#p45191
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 272#p45272

you called my examples contrived there but bad foods need absolute best case scenarios at very high yums to match mutton pies. milk is even better at a minimum 20 yum to be matched and having tons of bites. Everything else is wasting our finite iron.

i finish this comment here but i'll maybe make a post on the waste tool usage of growing food at insufficient yum.

#37 2019-02-28 00:26:03

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

And this is a great example of why I can't talk math with you.   Even when you provide the numbers, you don't pay attention to them or consider the practical in-game application.

Let's look at your example of a +10 yum chain and compare it with eating rabbit pie.  The ten food items you identified total up to 49 pips without yum.   With the additional yum bonus from chaining, you get 55 additional pips, for a total of 104 pips of food (actually only 94 pips, since you don't get a bonus for the first bite, but I'll ignore that).    Each bite of rabbit pie gives a flat 14 pips, assuming no waste and no yum chaining.  Each pie contains 4 bites, so 56 pips from each pie.  Eight bites of pie would give 112 pips of food.   So you could either eat ten different low-pip foods or two rabbit pies to gain roughly the same amount of food.   Interestingly, with this particular chain, you are actually eating MORE frequently when yum-chaining (10 bites) versus eating nothing but pies (8 bites).  Since the foods are small, you need a longer chain before you start to save time by being able to "skip" meals.

No, that wasn't the example.  You changed it from one pie to two pies.  Additionally, for any *in-game* application, the player can continue yumming with that example.  Mutton pie, cooked rabbits, berry pie, berry carrot pie, berry rabbit pie, berry carrot rabbit pie, rabbit pie, carrot rabbit pie, and carrot pie would all be avialable by that point.  So would stew and bread.

DestinyCall wrote:

But ... how much time did you spend making expensive, labor-intensive foods to achieve a +20 yum chain?

You spent time making foods for you and your family.  Starvation is usually the greatest threat, especially with people no longer living in deserts or jungles.

DestinyCall wrote:

How many "bad" foods did you eat raw instead of processing them into more pip-dense alternatives?

Zero.

DestinyCall wrote:

How much of your life did you spend searching for the next yum option or passing over easily accessible foods because they were "meh"?

Probably not very long at all.

DestinyCall wrote:

If you ended up spending more time and effort maintaining your yum bonus than it would have taken to MAKE an extra set of four meat pies .... was it really worth all that additional work?

Probably.  I mean if you spend extra time looking for wild carrot to keep it going, and then complete all eight pie types, the time looking for food pays off in the end.   

DestinyCall wrote:

Time is a limited resource in this game.  Labor is also limited.     If you are playing solo, it is easy to set-up a yum station and chain yum as high as you like.   When you die of old age, you can just come back and pick-up where you left off.   In this context, a high yum bonus means less time worrying about your next meal and more time to focus on large projects.

The yum potential of your family is a large project.

DestinyCall wrote:

But in a multiplayer village, you only have 60 minutes to make a difference.   If your goal is to keep your village alive for future generations, it makes a lot more sense to make hearty stew and tasty meat pies, rather than a yum station filled with snack foods that will be quickly consumed by hungry players without regard for yum.

Nope.  If you make such a station, then other players will end up eating there, and then once they start to realize the power of yum, they'll start to use it more and more making it more and more powerful.  Also, such a station increases the chances of fertility of the women of your family.

DestinyCall wrote:

Yum is great.   And there's nothing wrong with yum-chaining to get some free pips.   But don't use yum as an excuse to eat a lot of crappy foods and make life harder for the rest of your village.

There are zero crappy foods.  Things get harder on a village by having a not enough varied diet.

DestinyCall wrote:

It wastes valuable time and resources.    If you are interested in yumming responsibly, take the time to diversify the village's food supply in GOOD ways that benefit more than just yourself and your personal yum chain.

Making all 8 types of pies instead of just one or two pie types, or 7 of the 8 types of pies before sheep, comes as the most bang for your buck in terms of time for yum.

Danish Clinch.

#38 2019-02-28 00:31:28

Booklat1

this is ridiculous

#39 2019-02-28 00:42:10

Spoonwood

Booklat wrote:

Your main issue is having no clue how costs work and overvaluing how much yum gives. You count the waste wheat we get from composting but not the absurd iron use of growing beans.

You've undervalued yum, because you stay focused on low yum numbers.

Also, aren't people still making diesel engines.  Because if you're doing that, and have a charcoal pump, there is no need to get concerned with iron.  Just turn all that iron into steel hoes.  Also, iron isn't a hangup for tilling.  Round stones are abundant.  Someone who grows 4 milkweed can make a sustaining settlement via stone hoes.  Or someone could bring home a bunch of skewers from the wild.

Booklat wrote:

at no yum we know milk is 28x better than raw corn, for example, and mutton pies and berries are super cheap.

Lol... no yum.  You're not even looking at what I'm saying, are you?

Booklat wrote:

here i both demonstred how mutton pies are better than most pies at 1/3 of waste if composting is on and created a funcion to define average wastes. Turns out, overeating means little for cheap foods.

No, you didn't demonstrate that.  You didn't account for yum in your original calculations, and yum varies over time, getting better and better.  There's also the fertility effect of yum.  And then you tried to do yum calculations without throwing in all of the pies.  Except if a settlement focuses on yum as soon as possible, a large diversity of pies will appear early (before sheep) and stay in stock after sheep having all 8 pie types.

Booklat wrote:

you called my examples contrived there but bad foods need absolute best case scenarios at very high yums to match mutton pies. milk is even better at a minimum 20 yum to be matched and having tons of bites. Everything else is wasting our finite iron.

Pretty sure that if iron was an issue, you're insisting on steel hoes, and also anticipating that iron goes to other things.  Neither needs to hold.  Sure, your examples are contrived.  But hey, here's another bad use of iron.  Shoveling compost instead of digging up a soil pit or running soil from soil pits.

And lastly, you haven't even started considering the effects on fertility.  Or what happens if other players have a greater diversity of foods around.

Danish Clinch.

#40 2019-02-28 00:43:58

Spoonwood

Booklat1 wrote:

this is ridiculous

haha... you think that your calculations can prove something, without considering that yumming can get better and better for you, AND your family, while calculating something like mutton pie value comes as constant.

Danish Clinch.

#41 2019-02-28 00:47:21

Spoonwood

Also, on iron, half-belltower base sheep pens, those cost a bunch of iron since they require shovel uses and chisel uses.  So do stone wall buildings.  Alternatives exist which cost little to no iron.

Danish Clinch.

#42 2019-02-28 01:19:59

Booklat1

so, you providing 0 math is better than collective efforts of many people?

we did calculations on yum, fucking read the post, even with buffs you need people to heavily cooperate

back off, you're way over you league and contribute nothing here. you even had your "10 yum is more than any pie" example wrong.

your math isnt the biggest problem, you are. the top players in this thread agree you are wrong, you are around for less than a month

you need 6 people eating beans at 17+ to EQUAL pies at 0. dont listen to this guys nonsense, he's got nothing

Last edited by Booklat1 (2019-02-28 01:21:00)

#43 2019-03-01 13:43:31

Spoonwood

Booklat1 wrote:

so, you providing 0 math is better than collective efforts of many people?

we did calculations on yum, fucking read the post, even with buffs you need people to heavily cooperate

So you did calculations up to 20 yum.  That's just one problem.  I played in someone else's village yesterday starting as a child and barely overate anything in two lives.  I ate over 20 meals.  I think I ate 22 or 23 meals in a life (I didn't count, I only looked at the yum meter, and I wasn't eating until it had expired).  I had a full clothing set.  If I didn't, it probably would have been more meals.  I barely ate any wild food and didn't ate cooked fish or pork tacos as I recall either.  Your calculations thus are not adequate.  Just up to 20 yum?  That's not enough calculations.  If you aren't getting over 20 yum in a life, then either your village comes as early on, or it's not that good, you're not yumming enough, or you didn't plan very well for your trip out of town.

Booklat wrote:

back off, you're way over you league and contribute nothing here. you even had your "10 yum is more than any pie" example wrong.

I stand by what I said.  Eating enough food for what you need for 10 yum outdoes any pie.  The math on that is very clear.  It's also interesting that you want to talk about leagues, when you aren't even trying to account for the fertility bonus from yum.

Booklat wrote:

your math isnt the biggest problem, you are. the top players in this thread agree you are wrong, you are around for less than a month

It's extremely doubtful that those players are all that good at this game.  If they aren't trying to yum as much for their families when they cook, then they simply are not good cooks.  That especially means making *all* of the pie types (or 7 of those pie types before sheep).

Booklat wrote:

you need 6 people eating beans at 17+ to EQUAL pies at 0. dont listen to this guys nonsense, he's got nothing

17 or 18 is pretty much what I get living to 60 now starting as an Eve (not a "true Eve" but as an Eve in an Eve chain) after a few lives.  That's mostly eating very filling foods like an omelette, three sister's stew, the pies, whole milk, buttered bread, etc.  Here's the thing.  It doesn't matter when the green beans or other food get eaten.  If you get to some number in a life, the efficiency comes as the same for the food (assuming overeating is the same) overall eating at low yum vs. high yum, because other foods yum increases.  In other words, order of the foods doesn't matter.  Assuming no overfilling of the pip bar, for example, eating popcorn, a berry in a bowl, a berry in your hand, and green beans in that order is the same as eating green beans, a berry in your hand, a berry in a bowl, and then popcorn with respect to efficiency of the food.

Again also, your math doesn't account for overeating or fertility.  And yumming makes food more and more efficient over time (and decreases overating).    Yum does come as the most efficient way to eat food once it gets going. 

Why Booklat have you acted like 17+ yum is so much to get?  Again, it's not if you're someone else's child.  If you, Booklat, are not getting past 20 yum in a life where you get born to someone else, I have to wonder, why aren't you?

Danish Clinch.

#44 2019-03-01 14:36:30

Booklat1

Why Booklat have you acted like 17+ yum is so much to get?  Again, it's not if you're someone else's child.  If you, Booklat, are not getting past 20 yum in a life where you get born to someone else, I have to wonder, why aren't you?

because unlike you i dont waste my entire life yumming shit to EQUAL milk. Not surpass, equal, and only best case scenario.

read the math we provided, refute it, get out if you cant. You dont need ONE person at 20 yum for it to be worth it bad foods, you need many or there will be waste for each bite, its proven. You'll waste a lot before you and only you get to 20. Or can you guarantee everyone constantly yums up to 15? And worse:

Eating corn raw yums 4 people, milks yum 40 people and popcorn 12, same costs and disconsidering pip amount. 2 popcorn plus each milk yums 8 people for +3, raw corn 4 people for +1 the same costs.

Bad foods dont even help your towns yum. Make tons of milks and stew if you want people to get bonus yum, after that food will barely even matter.

Last edited by Booklat1 (2019-03-01 14:37:15)

#45 2019-03-01 14:47:03

Booklat1

Lets be clear, yum doesnt "get good" at 20.
its just some foods are very wasteful if eaten at anything less, even a single no yum bite. Yumming low with good foods is awesome though.

Last edited by Booklat1 (2019-03-01 14:47:28)

#46 2019-03-01 15:05:42

Booklat1

Spoonwood wrote:
Booklat1 wrote:

It's extremely doubtful that those players are all that good at this game.  If they aren't trying to yum as much for their families when they cook, then they simply are not good cooks.  That especially means making *all* of the pie types (or 7 of those pie types before sheep).

yeah, tarr, pein, crazyeddie and twisted are noobs and spoonwood is great. These players have affected this game's history, development, ingame culture, created inventions using bugs, caused stuff to be nerfed because they did those so efficiently. Among them is the best eve in the game. You got nothing and tells people potatoes are good. Its preposterous and arrogant. Worse, its a lie since we mathematically proved you wrong.

im done with you, you're dellusional to think you're any good, go study the game before even talking about thse guys or yum. Learn some math too.

Last edited by Booklat1 (2019-03-01 15:07:54)

#47 2019-03-01 16:59:26

Greep

The main issue with yum from a powergaming perspective is it's a modest amount of work for only a marginal relative gain.  I've run the yum-on on the One City Server for the first dozen hours or so it's been up, and it's "nice" but not a huge improvement over standard food.  It's also super organized and has a road to it near the center of town, and still just feels "kinda nice".  Pies and stew are simply that good.

The other reason is on the main servers people will eat the inefficient yum foods without aiming for yum, causing a net average loss of food efficiency.  Sometime I'll have to make a Yum-on sign on a main server and see if it catches on xD

So if you can provide marginal benefit, or give permanent benefit by doing a whole host of things like making cermaics, fetching large amounts of iron, making tree farms, etc, it's pretty obvious what's better.

What is good is making yum for fertility during dead hours, though.

Last edited by Greep (2019-03-01 17:00:33)

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#48 2019-03-01 18:00:48

DestinyCall

Because I have no life and an unhealthy fascination with virtual food, here is a breakdown of all the foods in the game, divided into four tiers, based on efficiency, availability and practical value to the village.   Tier 1 foods are good (or great) foods that should be present in any village and mass-produced when the necessary materials are available.  These are the "ideal" staple foods for any village, large or small.   If your village doesn't have any Tier 1 foods, your lineage is probably going to die out due to starvation very soon.  Tier 2 food is also "good food", but harder to mass-produce or not as efficient as Tier 1 foods.  These foods are usually a good option for small-scale production in a town with a lot of Tier 1 foods, if you are interested in yum bonus and want to diversify the food chain.    Tier 3 foods are borderline "bad" foods.  These foods are limited in some way that prevents mass-production or they have significant cost barriers or better alternatives are available from the same ingredients.  Due to these limitations, production and consumption of these foods should be limited in most villages.  Lastly, Tier 4 foods are bad foods.   Mass-production of these foods should be avoided due to high production or labor costs.  There are better options or end-products that should be made from the same ingredients/resources.  Production and consumption of these foods should generally be avoided in the majority villages to avoid significant waste.   

TIER 1 FOODS

Rabbit pie
Mutton pie
Three sister stew
Bread
Whole milk
Skim milk
buttered bread
Popcorn
Gooseberry
Gooseberry in a bowl

TIER 2 FOODS
Rabbit carrot pie
Carrot pie
Omelette
Sliced Turkey
Turkey broth
Turkey drumstick
Bean burrito
Cooked rabbit
Cooked mutton
Cactus fruit

TIER 3 FOODS
Sauerkraut
Cooked goose
Carrot
Green beans
Wild onion
Burdock
Banana
Wild carrot
Pork Taco
Bean Taco

TIER 4 FOODS
Cooked fish
Mango slices
Berry pie
Berry carrot pie
Berry rabbit pie
Berry rabbit carrot pie
Baked potato
Half baked potato
Shucked ear of corn
Mushroom

If you are interested in yum, start with Tier 1 foods and work your way toward Tier 4 foods.   This is the most efficient and least wasteful way to yum.  There are ten unique food items in each category, so if you work to establish all Tier 1 and 2 foods in your village during your lifetime, you will be providing a net benefit to your village while also facilitating your ability to maintain a +20 yum chain.  Even if you just ensure that more villages have a domesticated cow and someone who knows how to milk a cow, that will be a huge benefit.  And milk production supplies three unique yum opportunities alone.  Hunting a turkey provides another three yum points and a bunch of low-cost food for the village.   If you are adequately clothed, it is nearly impossible to eat enough times during a sixty minute time period to reach a +30 yum chain (unless you are intentionally contracting yellow fever repeatedly).   Therefore, you should be able to yum in a food-efficient manner in most villages with a little bit of extra effort to fill in the Tier 1 and 2 food gaps, instead of extending your chain with more costly foods.  If you are already spending the time to yum, why not take a moment to consider the quality of the food you eat?

If anyone is curious why a particular food is in a particular Tier, just ask.  I would be happy to explain my reasoning.  The number of foods in each tier is somewhat arbitrary, so there is probably some overlap between adjacent tiers, but the foods are organized roughly in order of "goodness", based on my current understanding of the game.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-03-02 00:17:46)

#49 2019-03-01 18:13:50

BladeWoods

Make multiple foods at once. When you make stew, you can also make popcorn, green beans, and shucked corn to eat at the same time.
When you make omelots, before you put the flat rock on you can make skewered rabbit or other skewered things. And you can make burritos at the same time.
When you make pie, do mutton pie and rabbit pie and cooked mutton.

And eating carrots is well worth it far before 17 yum.

Last edited by BladeWoods (2019-03-01 18:15:35)

#50 2019-03-01 18:16:13

breezeknight

Greep wrote:

Heh, the proverbial stable town.  One day we'll see it XD

lol

i don't like the yum bonus, it's a side game to the main game
& i don't like to play that game of running around to fill up the numbers & pips

i use it if it's handy, but as the game goes, mostly it's not

Board footer