One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-24 01:55:13

antking:]#

a question about insulation

If I built lets say a very small building of 4 by 4 in the desert... and then I build a snowman in the building, will the snow man work like a fire and cool the entire building? or will it only cool the spaces directly touching it?

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#2 2019-02-24 01:58:32

Tarr
Banned

Re: a question about insulation

Snowmen will work like a cold fire as long as all the tiles in the building are desert tiles. If any of them are mix-matched tiles you just create a nightmare.

fug it’s Tarr.

#3 2019-02-24 02:03:09

antking:]#

Tarr wrote:

Snowmen will work like a cold fire as long as all the tiles in the building are desert tiles. If any of them are mix-matched tiles you just create a nightmare.

thanks! I was just didn't know... I want to make sure before I make a house in the dessert for an oil out post!

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#4 2019-02-24 02:19:30

CrazyEddie

The temperature update changed the way that snowmen affect the temperature around them. They work like fires that contribute negative heat, BUT they only contribute to convection heat, not to radiant heat. That means that they will cool down the airspace within an building, but they won't cool you down just for standing near them.

This may be a bug. I suspect they are supposed to work exactly like negative fires, both for convection and radiation.

nerfsnowballsnow reported the symptoms here https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 486#p45486 and betame reported the cause here https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 489#p45489

I'll report the bug on github and I imagine Jason will fix it soon, although it's possible he intended this.

#5 2019-02-24 02:37:22

CrazyEddie

Tarr wrote:

The heat behavior of snowmen is the same no matter what the underlying tiles are. Whether the biome tiles are hot, cold, or a mix, snowmen will cool down the air around them making hot tiles cooler and cold tiles colder.

Remember, your temperature is primarily determined by the biome of the tile you are standing on. It's affected by fires, snowmen, floors, walls, and clothing, but is not affected by the biome of any other tile, no matter how close or far away it is. The only biome that matters is the one biome you're standing on.

Last edited by CrazyEddie (2019-02-24 02:40:33)

#6 2019-02-26 16:56:46

CrazyEddie

CrazyEddie wrote:

I'll report the bug on github and I imagine Jason will fix it soon, although it's possible he intended this.

Just got confirmation that he did in fact intend this.

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/232

This was intentional.

There is no such thing as "radiant cold."

Facing a fire from across the room warms your front, but not your back.

Facing a snowman from across the room doesn't "cool" your front in the same way. There are no "cool" rays.

However, having a snowman present inside a room will cool the whole room, due to convection.

#7 2019-02-26 17:30:05

yaira

check out  https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5346
in game experiment on jungle/desert room!

Last edited by yaira (2019-02-26 17:30:17)

Board footer