One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-23 19:03:24

fragilityh14

Tribal Iron Territory

I had the rare pleasure of running into another city in the wilds yesterday. I was out on an iron gathering  mission, as i often am, and on my return trip I began to see many signs of human life. I rode past a woman hunting rabbits, and assumed I was quite close to home. When i got a bit past, I was in more wild territory again, and realized the woman was probably unrelated, so i turned around to go look for her.

Indeed, no relation.

She showed me the way to her village, a small but seemingly promising camp. They were kind, and i told them where my city was, and that i would try to return

After I left, it occurred to me I had been picking their iron grounds, having been on the opposite side of their village from my village.

i began to greatly regret not having gotten off of my horse to gift them an iron basket and apologize for having intruded on their territory.

It then occurred to me, it would have made a lot of sense for them to kill me, and keep all of my iron and my horse and cart. My tribe never would have found me, or avenged my death, and they would have been at the advantage of knowing where my village was, while my village remained in ignorance.

One major problem with murder in this game, is there is rarely anything one covets enough to justify murder. That tribe did not appear to have horses and carts yet, nor did they have a substantial iron stockpile. On top of that, with the horse and cart and an idea of my villages direction, they could have actually sent raiders to steal supplies and presumably escape without leading my people back to their village.

The other tribe i found didn't last long, i hope it's not because I stole their nearby iron, i doubt it is. I alerted my kinsfolk to their location, but no murders show on either family line, so i don't know that they met again, if they did it was peaceful.

Though we were all peaceful, this is the first situation I've been in where resource conflict made sense, and could have happened. This is a big advantage to iron being a true limiting factor. This should be a game where people kill for real world type reasons, but that's been difficult with the limited property rights and rarity of seeing anyone outside of one's family. Of course, with clothes being more valuable now, that is potentially a thing worth killing for, but killing someone from another tribe to support ones own tribe is a much more exciting concept.

Has anyone ran into real territorial problems about iron gathering?

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#2 2019-02-23 19:45:51

Booklat1

Re: Tribal Iron Territory

i think you just got lucky they were decent people.

#3 2019-02-23 20:15:16

fragilityh14

i don't believe i actually dismounted, though in retrospect I would have to given them a gift. I may have quickly hopped off to eat while i was talking to them.

They certainly gave the impression of being a peaceful tribe though.

Listen to your mom!

#4 2019-02-23 20:49:26

CrazyEddie

Cool. An actual opportunity for warfare.

#5 2019-02-23 23:07:40

fragilityh14

CrazyEddie wrote:

Cool. An actual opportunity for warfare.

I'm not sure if you're being sincere are sarcastic, but I sincerely think that's what's cool about the situation lmao

Listen to your mom!

#6 2019-02-24 01:52:43

CrazyEddie

Good point, it's hard to tell. I was being sincere.

#7 2019-02-24 02:13:00

antking:]#

I personally can't really grasp how war would, work as the moment you kill some one you immediately become useless as you can't do anything except run around as every one else tries to kill you! if you could share the lay out of what you would have I would happily read it! and I'm sure I'm not the only one interested!

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#8 2019-02-24 02:30:10

Peremptive

I had people from large towns taking all the iron close to my primitive village in the past. They stopped over and started to chat, we had heard the bell before them though. One guy ate a few berries, I complained he should forage for food, and he left us a basket of iron.

It was kind of funny at the time but when I think about it now as them taking/"stealing" the iron close to us I probably wouldn't have been that friendly

#9 2019-02-24 04:33:01

Grim_Arbiter

If I ever run into a bell town as an outsider I try to bring a basket of iron as an entry gift.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#10 2019-02-24 07:31:23

Psykout

I would be all for getting stabbed and my horse and cart full of iron being taken by a primitive jungle tribe to further their gains. From my perspective, I just got effing stabbed, duh. From their perspective they had to commit an act of murder, but it was for the good of the people, life for a life. Much better than being stabbed standing in front of the town oven because a griefer determined me as the most productive member a the time and wanted to cause some drama.

Board footer