One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-21 02:21:18

wondaland

Would maps be possible?

we already have notes which could set up the base for a map variant. I imagine you could have a slightly more complicated recipe (considering the usefulness) for a map, then an extra requirement like needing to travel with blank map in hand to effectively 'draw' it and load information. Then once it is completed have a mini map appear or arrows at the edge of the screen with biome names etc. something along those lines anyway, or even have a map unlock an in game zoom feature while held.

obviously this would be difficult to implement but I do believe it could be an interesting feature. Especially considering the real life history of map making being so important. It could open up the possibility of building kingdoms or empires with several towns and begin steps toward a trade feature.

Last edited by wondaland (2019-02-21 02:21:58)

#2 2019-02-21 03:10:33

karltown_veteran

Re: Would maps be possible?

That sounds cool. You could do:
skewer + full bucket of (red/yellow/blue) paint = bucket of (red/yellow/blue) paint - 1
Blue paint + yellow paint could make green paint, skewer + green paint + paper = marks your location with a blob of green for grassland
Blue could be swamp, mark your location with a swamp place
Yellow could be the rabbit place
Milk paint w/out pigment = tundra
Mix of all three paints = black paint? for the iron biome
Red paint could = the horse and snake place
You could fill the map by moving around and then plotting your location on diff parts of the map (start location would be in the middle) and with diff colors... this is all a little rough draft-y but it sounds like it would be cool

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#3 2019-02-21 07:36:53

Anandamide

I think instead of a more traditional map, it should be like a home marker. You would go out with blank maps and mark them at locations like rabbits and iron veins, and then bring them back. If you hold the map your home mark is temporarily overwritten until you put it away.

#4 2019-02-22 12:02:07

breezeknight

craftable map plz
craftable zoom plz

would make awbz obsolete
also
players using mods should be marked, just to be warned & have the choice if i want to remain near such a player or not,
cause i play vanilla & constructive, even if i am the last man i don't kill others or myself,
i value my life in OHOL, no matter what
i wish there was a reward for that, a reward for valuing life in OHOL, a blessing system would be good ...

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-02-22 12:02:55)

#5 2019-02-22 16:08:43

Anandamide

There is no way for the server to know if you're using awbz. Get over it. I play without it on updates, but go back to it usually. Jason doesn't like it, but there is not a good way to get around it without causing problems by sending the client less data. The mod isn't going away. Others have been rather diplomatic about it, but if he stopped, there are many others here with the technical ability(it doesn't take much) to fork it and keep it going. I don't understand how awbz makes your lives worth any less. Using the mod doesn't imply you kill others, or play in a non-constructive manner.

#6 2019-02-22 21:48:09

Michie

Players not using mods should be marked, just to be warned & have the choice if I want to remain near such a player or not!

See how it sounds? Pretty bad huh?

#7 2019-02-22 21:55:35

Nepumuk

I value my life on OHOL. That's why I use AWBZ mod to get the most out of it.

On the topic of maps, I don't think doing it the minecraft way is gonna work well with OHOL. Just learn your camp's surroundings and deal with it. In the end no camp is permanent anyway (like 99% of camps don't survive a 24 hour period so who cares about making permanent maps for them).

I am Eve Speed.

#8 2019-02-22 23:26:24

futurebird

Michie wrote:

Players not using mods should be marked, just to be warned & have the choice if I want to remain near such a player or not!

See how it sounds? Pretty bad huh?

If you mark the mod users the non-mod users are  de facto marked? It's not a scarlet letter. LOL. There are times when knowing about the mod might make it possible to get help. Like "can you see?"

I would ask the mod users to find things all the time.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#9 2019-02-23 01:43:29

wondaland

Nepumuk wrote:

I value my life on OHOL. That's why I use AWBZ mod to get the most out of it.

On the topic of maps, I don't think doing it the minecraft way is gonna work well with OHOL. Just learn your camp's surroundings and deal with it. In the end no camp is permanent anyway (like 99% of camps don't survive a 24 hour period so who cares about making permanent maps for them).

This was more with the intention of marking useful biomes near by in the current state of the game, for iron runs and the like. Then as survivability increases and towns surpass the iron age function as ways to find other towns or even settlements that have broken off from the main town.

It was merely a suggestion to, in the future, add an extra way for players to communicate within the game using more than text chat or notes/signs. Not to mention it could give tech such as airplanes another way to be useful.

Board footer