One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-21 00:40:16

jasonrohrer
Administrator

To RAGE or whoever you are

Did you email me for a refund?

I've looked through my recent messages, and don't see anything from you.

I searched my email for your other email address, and I found your purchase, but I never received any other email from that address.

As for the doxing or whatever, I'm out of the loop, and I have no idea what has been happening (my family's info was posted, your personal info was posted, wtf is going on?).

Please email me here:

jasonrohrer AT fastmail DOT fm

Please put RAGE in the subject line so that I recognize it.

As far as threatening me goes.... well.... it's the internet.  People say all kinds of things.  If this kind of thing bothered me, I'd have picked a different career long ago.

#2 2019-02-21 01:02:00

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: To RAGE or whoever you are

Oh, hey, you did write to me back in January!  And guess what?  I wrote back to you back then.

Here's what you wrote on Jan 11, 2019:

So i bought your game about 3 weeks ago. It should be a very fun game it has great potential. But instead of having fun i am running around looking for enough food and water to survive. So cold that if there are babies they die before i can get a good start.

No one wants to play this game because they just die. And if they do not die they spend 50 percent of their time trying to scavenge enough food to keep them alive.

I would suggest making multiple servers at an easier level with 100 percent more water, 100 percent more berries, 80 percent less snow, 50 percent less predators, replenishing wood and rocks, 50 percent warmer, and 50 percent longer hunger bar.

Keep your servers that are too hard for most people to want to play but give your customers what they NEED to continue to play. This game won't grown if every player who tries dies or spends all their time searching endlessly for a 'nice spot'.

And if you want to say, just get born in a town, i would assure you there are many players who do not want to be in a big town because of the rampant destroying of anything you try to do by players taking everything you set up while you are desperately trying to keep yourself from starving to death.

Please either fix these things or refund my money and i will go play 2 hours 1 life for free instead.

I would seriously rather remain on your game, and support the developer. But when i pay 20 dollars for an indie game, i would expect to have fun. Mostly it is not fun at all.

And here was my response to you:

Well, lots of people play the game....  there are 142 people playing the game right at this very moment.

Some tips:

Food is VERY tight at the beginning.  This is what makes civilization worthwhile.  If food was easy at the beginning, there would be no reason to develop technology.

Technology makes life easier.

First:

If you are cold, you burn food something like 6x faster than if you are warm.  So make clothes, build walls, build fires, and stay warm.  If you are warm, you almost never have to think about food in the game.

Second:

If you "mono diet," the food does not nourish you very much.  Each a long chain of unique foods, and build up a huge YUM bonus.  Then you will barely have to eat at all.  Of course, growing and cooking lots of different foods requires tech.

Keep babies warm, and they will need a lot less food to survive.

Jason

Since I never heard back from you after that, I never issued a refund.  I get about 30 game-related emails every day, so I don't keep track of each person directly, unless they email me back.

At this point, since you don't seem to be emailing me.... I guess I'll just refund your account.  It's a little weird, because I usually need email confirmation before doing that, but I'll just take your initial email at face value and do it.

#3 2019-02-21 01:20:24

ryanb
Website

I just want to say, your email response is very impressive. I don't know how you find time to read all emails and respond in such detail while developing the game on your own.

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#4 2019-02-21 02:22:26

Turnipseed

Props to jason for his amazing amount of attention to coustomers! I had similar frustrations after the original apocalypse update, and recived an email from jason that reinforced hope in the game. Keep doing a great job jason!

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#5 2019-02-21 02:27:30

Bob 101

Don't pay him any mind. He dose not deserve your attention nor a refund.

He threw a huge tantrum, spammed the forums and insulted everyone. Real mature of him, Now he still expects his money back.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-02-21 02:32:25)

#6 2019-02-21 02:36:36

fragilityh14

Bob 101 wrote:

Don't pay him any mind. He dose not deserve your attention nor a refund.

The individual is a total lunatic, and i think there is a principle at hand of not giving that individual a refund, as said individual claimed to have already played the game 500 hours, on servers Jason is paying for. Said individual also repeatedly posted information that would easily lead a person to other information showing said individual is in a long term lawsuit against another game for harassment within another game [that this individual alleges he or she played regularly for 8 years], and has also faced criminal charges for abusing 911 services. This information is available in public records, and as such there is no element of privacy protections (for publicly filed court documents).

However, i've been told to not "dox" anyone else on this forum or i will get a ban, despite the fact that the individual in question posted several things which would lead you to that individual's website, which include several publicly available documents including said individuals legal name regarding an ongoing lawsuit against a different game developer.

Strangely, said individual's ongoing lawsuit relates to alleged sexual orientation related harassment in another game, yet said individual called me a "cumlicker" on these forums. Granted, I'm not gay, so i suppose that isn't harassment based on my sexual orientation, however, were I gay, that would be harassment based on my sexual orientation.

NOTE: if Jason has not been following this issue, it is relevant to his understanding of the issue to know the individual in question is currently in legal proceedings against a different game developer.

Last edited by fragilityh14 (2019-02-21 02:38:48)

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#7 2019-02-21 02:49:44

Turnipseed

Jason has always offered upset and dissatisfied coustomers a discount when they complain. I think its a commendable action.

To me it shows he has pride in this (lets be honest work of art) game. Not everyone will enjoy actually playing. it is frustrating, it is hard, but so is life. Jason has captured this well and i commend his dedication to keeping it this way.

Its not a perfect game its not a polished game but its one mans idea of life condensed into 60 minutes.

I didnt see it at first ither but the more i think the more i realize just as in the game i spend 10- 20% of my time thinking of my next meal and the rest working. With a little time for playing around inbetween.

This game is interesting. Its not the most fun to play. It can be frustrating. Sometimes you spend forever doing unsatisfactory work. Sometimes your the hero. Sometimes your the villan. Sometimes your a naked chick named turnipseed trying not to die and dropping babies on snakes!

Just try to enjoy the ride sometimes its slow sometimes its fast, but its almost always worth the 20$ ticket price

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#8 2019-02-21 03:14:40

fragilityh14

the combination of this game and using the forums and looking at how I interact in this game compared to my real life and how I feel things should be etc has been so personally helpful and amazing for me.

The fact that Jason is accomplishing this great thing as an individual, who has a great vision, but is also fallible and has a limited amount of time etc, has made the entire experience of knowing and enjoying this game so incredibly enriching.

Enjoy the ride and contribute what you can.

This is an amazing thing, Jason's vision is solid AF and by its very nature it will constantly be imperfect. I lament the day this game stops being developed.

i'm learning so much about myself playing this.

Also, there are two people i earnestly described this game to who ultimately bought it, and both of them played around for a while and thought it was interesting and didn't really get into it. But neither of them were upset, because it's just $20 and it's interesting.

One thing i did find funny, is someone said, "this isn't a game i want to play when i'm relaxing after work" after the update.

it never was that to me. It's enjoyable and exhilarating, but this is a pretty frantic and stressful game, by it's nature, that's what makes it so rewarding. Still, it's plenty easy to have a pretty laid back life working as a baker or whatever.

Me, being me, I either focus on one thing to the detriment of seeing other problems in the community or run all over like a crazy person trying to solve all the problems but not doing enough to fix any of them.

Which are basically my two RL modes.

Listen to your mom!

#9 2019-02-21 03:21:36

Peremptive

fragilityh14 wrote:

the individual is a total lunatic...

this is the first time we will agree on something. wtf is a cyber lawyer, I don't even. Some people are just strange and disappointed with their lives, and it leaks out whatever they do. Props to Jason for the thick skin. Tbh I wouldn't be issuing a refund in his position but I guess someone like that is more trouble than they are worth (not that any suit would have any success, or that this person even had the money to bring a suit forward. Just because of how annoying on yt/forums/etc they can be and how much hassle they can cause to mods).

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-02-21 03:23:01)

#10 2019-02-21 04:00:13

JoshuaN

fragilityh14 wrote:

One thing i did find funny, is someone said, "this isn't a game i want to play when i'm relaxing after work" after the update.

it never was that to me. It's enjoyable and exhilarating, but this is a pretty frantic and stressful game, by it's nature, that's what makes it so rewarding. Still, it's plenty easy to have a pretty laid back life working as a baker or whatever.

Me, being me, I either focus on one thing to the detriment of seeing other problems in the community or run all over like a crazy person trying to solve all the problems but not doing enough to fix any of them.

I've only been around for a few weeks but before the update i did have fun, a lot of it. The game was stressful already just by having such a steep learning curve, however i could still explore the game without being too harshly punished. It did also feel rewarding to learn something new or accomplish a step in new technology. Like building a sheep pen for the first time, or finishing an atmospheric chamber for a newcomen pump. Now i can only play about one life before getting too stressed out to keep playing. Its not really the update that gets me though. Its the endless problem of overpopulation that is ruining villages, which is a result of the biome nerfs. I just don't find it as fun anymore when i have to struggle against not just the game but the ever consuming hoard of reincarnating mouths with hands. I spent 8 hours writing some dudes resume for him because he was bad with computers so i could buy this game -- which was the first time a I ever wrote a resume -- bless him. I'm a really slow writer btw, I have to do a ton of editting. It was stressful for me but it doesn't even compare to trying to manage an overpopulated village, which is the only experience i get now from playing this game. If a village isn't overpopulated it will be in a few generations and boy does it crash. (edit: Eve runs for me are a bit pointless, i never find the things i need to start a village in time.)

I know some of you are probably sick of hearing me complain but I just want to have fun playing this amazing game. I like fun but this ain't it chief.

Last edited by JoshuaN (2019-02-21 04:03:59)

Sustenance~   ( ・・)つ―{}@{}@{}-

#11 2019-02-21 05:15:32

Bob 101

If this was Steam, I doubt valve would give a refund.

"Valve will, upon request via help.steampowered.com, issue a refund for any title that is requested within 14 days of purchase and has been played for less than 2 hours. Even if you fall outside of the refund rules we've described, you can submit a request and we'll take a look at it."

Given how rude he is, They probably wouldn't make an exception for him.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-02-21 05:17:59)

#12 2019-02-21 06:44:00

InSpace

Give him nothing

#13 2019-02-21 07:15:47

Go! Bwah!

Ehh, "don't negotiate with terrorists" and all that, but even I was considering offering her $20 if she promised to chill out.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#14 2019-02-21 16:43:58

Jason's_Mind

She got her refund?

#15 2019-02-21 17:01:01

fragilityh14

JoshuaN, maybe you should be more focused on learning to survive than advanced tech. I have absolutely no trouble surviving, and it often isn't even stressful if i'm out by myself or in a decent village. What is stressful is trying to get people in a village to actually be useful, and not die of stupidity etc, and that will get better as people get used to the change.

You should be mastering the lower level techniques and memorizing all the important survival stuff etc before you're making things like Newcomen pumps (which btw, i don't know how to make)

A lot of the stuff in this game is specialized knowledge. The tech tree is big enough that by design every player is not meant to know how to craft every object

Maybe in your male lives you should run out into the woods with nothing but a berry to practice surviving. once running around with nothing but a basket, sharp stone, and a piece of food feels normal, the cities don't seem difficult at all. [though that is pretty stressful in its own right, due to the risk of being killed by a boar behind a tree or what have you]

also i really don't know what to take from you having spent 8 hours writing a resume for $20, or why someone would have a person with low writing skills do that for them. [not based on the quality of your posts, but on your own description of being a slow writer with no experience]. i'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess you either aren't American or are a child? [I mean no offense with this line of questioning, but i now it's going to stick in my head, because no one in America works 8 hours for the cost of this game. I have been considering the games value from the perspective of making $20 an hour, though even at federal minimum wage it costing 3 hours of labor to purchase is a great value.]

Listen to your mom!

#16 2019-02-21 18:01:54

jasonrohrer
Administrator

For those who are curious, I sent a refund last night.

The only reason that I didn't send one before is that I usually require the person to email me first.  She emailed me back in January, but the request was vague.  She never emailed back saying she actually wanted a refund.

I generally don't take forum posts at face value (it would really suck if I deleted someone's account by accident, based on a forum post).  But in this case, I cross-checked the email address and so on, so I feel confident that this is the same person.

#17 2019-02-21 18:15:58

Jason's_Mind

I'm happy to hear that.

#18 2019-02-21 19:28:57

JoshuaN

fragilityh14 wrote:

JoshuaN, maybe you should be more focused on learning to survive than advanced tech. I have absolutely no trouble surviving, and it often isn't even stressful if i'm out by myself or in a decent village. What is stressful is trying to get people in a village to actually be useful, and not die of stupidity etc, and that will get better as people get used to the change.

Maybe in your male lives you should run out into the woods with nothing but a berry to practice surviving. once running around with nothing but a basket, sharp stone, and a piece of food feels normal, the cities don't seem difficult at all. [though that is pretty stressful in its own right, due to the risk of being killed by a boar behind a tree or what have you]

I have zero problem surviving alone. Its the interaction with surviving inside a town that's difficult. Its hard to survive when the food is all eaten within a two biome radius. I do consider myself a semi-skilled player.

fragilityh14 wrote:

also i really don't know what to take from you having spent 8 hours writing a resume for $20, or why someone would have a person with low writing skills do that for them. [not based on the quality of your posts, but on your own description of being a slow writer with no experience]. i'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess you either aren't American or are a child? [I mean no offense with this line of questioning, but i now it's going to stick in my head, because no one in America works 8 hours for the cost of this game. I have been considering the games value from the perspective of making $20 an hour, though even at federal minimum wage it costing 3 hours of labor to purchase is a great value.]

It actually stems from my inability to articulate speech due to being extremely introverted. It takes me a long time to make my thoughts and words intelligible and cohesive to other people. If i wrote everything unfiltered it wouldn't make any sense. Also i use to get really good grades on my essays in english class. The problem wasn't the quality, it was the time it took me to achieve that quality. Its very annoying to me to have to write something that is outside of my own thought process. Like when asked to write an essay about a topic i have no knowledge of. Its super stressful to me. I hate paperwork, its stressful. Its like for people who are bad at math they just HATE doing it. It was only $20 worth of work but it took me 6-7 hours longer to do. We actually had to meet up a 2nd day to finish it because we ran out of time the first day. I lost sleep that night thinking about the resume. I took about 4 more hours at night to fix what i had written and do some formatting.

The guy only came to me because he needed someone familiar with computers because he was applying for a job online. Not because i was qualified to write a resume. He did say to me after it all was done that it was the best resume and coverletter he ever had.

I am an adult american but don't have an actual job. Lets not talk about it.

Last edited by JoshuaN (2019-02-21 19:47:50)

Sustenance~   ( ・・)つ―{}@{}@{}-

#19 2019-02-21 19:39:14

wondaland

JoshuaN wrote:
fragilityh14 wrote:

I've only been around for a few weeks but before the update i did have fun, a lot of it. The game was stressful already just by having such a steep learning curve, however i could still explore the game without being too harshly punished. It did also feel rewarding to learn something new or accomplish a step in new technology. Like building a sheep pen for the first time, or finishing an atmospheric chamber for a newcomen pump. Now i can only play about one life before getting too stressed out to keep playing. Its not really the update that gets me though. Its the endless problem of overpopulation that is ruining villages, which is a result of the biome nerfs. I just don't find it as fun anymore when i have to struggle against not just the game but the ever consuming hoard of reincarnating mouths with hands. I spent 8 hours writing some dudes resume for him because he was bad with computers so i could buy this game -- which was the first time a I ever wrote a resume -- bless him. I'm a really slow writer btw, I have to do a ton of editting. It was stressful for me but it doesn't even compare to trying to manage an overpopulated village, which is the only experience i get now from playing this game. If a village isn't overpopulated it will be in a few generations and boy does it crash. (edit: Eve runs for me are a bit pointless, i never find the things i need to start a village in time.)

I know some of you are probably sick of hearing me complain but I just want to have fun playing this amazing game. I like fun but this ain't it chief.

It is getting better, especially after the recent tweaks. Yesterday was the first time in a while I was able to get a decent amount of work done without getting baby diarrhoea. Lots of towns are surviving for longer and eve spawns are fewer and fewer. Rest assured people are adapting to the temperature change and your experience is likely to improve soon.

Honestly I understand your issues, the only reason I didn't mind the update was  my ability to survive. Can definitely see why newer players would get frustrated. But as I said it is improving, I even saw a few bell towers under construction and one functioning which hasn't happened in a few days... not to mention the murder, people are right back on that band wagon.

I do hope you regain your enjoyment for this game, we all should, at the very least, be having fun.

#20 2019-02-21 20:05:40

CatX

If you don't have a backpack, then it can definitely be easier to survive alone in the wild because you can carry your basket with you. In town, someone sees the basket, takes your spare food and moves the basket somewhere else. In town, it's not 'my' basket. Without food to carry with me, I have to rely on my knowledge of where food most likely is when I need it. But, suddenly there are only raw pies in the kitchen, there are no berries or vegetables where I expect them to be, and there is a lot of stew but no bowls in sight... Maybe the solution for me is to eat more, and earlier.

Last edited by CatX (2019-02-21 20:36:24)

Board footer