One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-20 21:23:51

gondor2222

Possible exploits using coordinates in PLAYER_UPDATE

As far as I can see from printing PLAYER_UPDATE messages to stderr, these messages give you the exact current location of every player on your server, relative to the tile of your birth. I recommend these update messages be filtered so players only receive updates for nearby players, because the current system allows:

• Easy identification of exact town locations (including the tutorial) relative to your current position, by clustering players

• Approximate global coordinates: by saving your player ID across lives and looking up the lineages of other players in these distant towns, a hit in the lineage will tell you exactly where that town from your past life is relative to your current location.

• Exact location of any living player, and their place of death once they die (e.g. griefers)

#2 2019-02-21 21:05:20

lionon

Re: Possible exploits using coordinates in PLAYER_UPDATE

You sure? I admit there was as time I wanted to hack my client to show me absolute coordinates, but it doesn't work, as each client get's it's personal origin point. All coordinates are relative to that.

#3 2019-02-21 22:23:27

Tarr
Banned

I think the only true coordinates I seen were in relation to where a player died and what not. Other than that the data I've been seeing (and using) has been in relation to where they are based off my birth location. Though I could be wrong and what not.

The finding true coordinates via playerID is already doable by looking at the games lifelogs and checking where someone had been born/died.

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2019-02-21 22:28:48

gondor2222

lionon wrote:

You sure? I admit there was as time I wanted to hack my client to show me absolute coordinates, but it doesn't work, as each client get's it's personal origin point. All coordinates are relative to that.

They're not absolute coordinates, but because the client has access to the relative coordinates of every online player and their full lineage, you can easily figure out where towns are relative to your birth location.

Board footer