One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-02-22 17:39:36

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: What New Stuff Got Added by The Temperarure Overhaul Update?

Spoon, I'm not saying that you're wrong on any particular point.

I'm saying that the overall picture is more complicated than you think it is.

Can you look at the Steam page, which is the most recent version of "advertising" for the game, and find anything false there?  I have full control over that, and I can change it whenever I want (unlike youtube videos, which are permanent).

There has been "new stuff" added to the game every week, for something like 49/52 weeks of the past year (with a few weeks taken off for GDC and a family vacation---there was even an update on Thanksgiving and Christmas).   And "new stuff" does not always entail new content, if the update changes the game in substantial ways, which every update has done over the past year (including, you will not deny, the temperature update---did it change the game or not?).

You may have been an unlucky soul who bought the game a few weeks ago, and I don't happen to be working on content right now.  That might feel like a let-down, but it has to happen sometimes, and if you just bought the game, you have full access to the 1500 new bits of content that were added over the past year.  You joined the game at "airplanes," where we started with "rocks and sticks."

Have there been "dozens" of new things added, on average, over the past year?  Yes.

Have I been adding "new stuff" to the game every week?  Absolutely.

Does the game currently have 10,000 craftable objects?  Of course not, but that's the goal that I'm working toward with these weekly updates.  Anyone who watches both of those trailers will understand that.  Furthermore, the first paragraph of text below explains:

It's also a huge game---over 1300 fully interactive, craftable objects already. And it's only getting bigger, with weekly updates adding new things all the time.

And if/when I achieve that goal of 10,000, it will be the largest, most comprehensive game ever made.

So, that's the "more complicated" part.  The details of actual, long-term, human game development.  Solo game development.

And it is not appropriate to fully express that complexity on the Steam page for the game.  The point of the Steam page is to give a truthful overview of the spirit of the project.  This is a huge, ambitious game that is hand-made entirely by one person, and it gets updated all the time, perhaps updated more frequently than any game you've ever played before.  In playing the game, seeing it evolve and change over time is part of the experience.  Come along with me for this ride.

I don't need to mention my family vacations on the Steam page, for example.  I don't need to mention that sometimes I will get sick.  I don't need to explain that there will be some weeks where I fix a bunch of bugs and make the client load the map 30x faster (like this week).

I guess what I'm saying is this:  if I'm not living up to your standard for a "good" developer, what is the standard?  Which game is updated more frequently or more substantially?  Examples, please.

#27 2019-02-22 18:41:50

Spoonwood

I have not assessed your overall skill as a developed.  I have not assessed every update that you've made to the game Jason.  I don't have any interest in doing that either.  That would be another thread also, were it the case that I felt interested in doing that.  As I said, I'm not interested in assessing your overall quality as a developer of this game.  Nor am I interested in comparing you to other developers.

Also, I did not join the game at or after airplanes.  I remember even watching a streamer once before planes and saying "one day we may need planes to reach belltower towns", and I owned access to the servers at that time.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#28 2019-02-22 21:01:02

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, then to stay on topic:  what new content was added in the Temperature Overhaul update?  Absolutely nothing!

That said, it is a totally different game now than it was before, from top to bottom.  It re-contextualized all the existing content, making a bunch of formerly useless content very useful.

#29 2019-02-22 22:57:27

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

Well, then to stay on topic:  what new content was added in the Temperature Overhaul update?  Absolutely nothing!

That said, it is a totally different game now than it was before, from top to bottom.  It re-contextualized all the existing content, making a bunch of formerly useless content very useful.

Sigh...  Clothes are somewhat more useful, due to them insulating from temperature shock.  They are not more useful in cold biomes, unless someone wanders near a fire.  Clothes were useful in a cold biome before, as anyone who has forged in the tutorial area can realize if they have a good sense of how fast their hunger bars before.  Clothes only got more useful because of other new features.  They did not get more useful with respect to natural temperature.  If one wears a tuque and winter clothing outside in the summer in some temperate forests (which I regard as equivalent to grasslands), one can get too hot in real life.  Clothes can have that much heat influence in real life.  But, not in a neutral biome.

Buildings aren't more useful.  Or at least, it doesn't seem experienced players think they are more useful.

Floors look like they might be useful to cool spots off.  I don't think people have decided to make a kitchen or forge in hot spots though.  I expect that floors will go down soon... probably back to something like trying to section off farms as they got used before.

Making mid-temperature spots non-existent comes as the main cause of people playing colder spots.  Making mid-temperature spots non-existent does not make clothes, buildings, or floors substantially better.

Or at least that's what I have surmised the last I checked.  So, I find 'very' exaggerated to say the least.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-02-22 23:04:52)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer