One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-20 15:24:47

Spoonwood

What New Stuff Got Added by The Temperarure Overhaul Update?

Some things changed with the temperature overhaul update.  But, I don't know of anything that got added to the game.  Did I miss something?  Did we get new clothes?  Did we get new doors?  Did we get new floors?  Any new material to make floors?  Did we get new types of walls?  Did we get some new alternative to making clothes that doesn't require milkweed, a bone needle, fleece, or a drop spindle?

Is there a single new thing that got added with the temperature update?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2019-02-20 16:48:01

Anandamide

Re: What New Stuff Got Added by The Temperarure Overhaul Update?

Why would he give us more clothing that doesn't require tools? Or thread? Did you know you can use the drop spindle on fleece to to get a small ball of thread. Add a needle and use it instead of milkweed? It makes no sense to add more clothes with this past update, seeing as he wanted to see the response first, and if there were any bugs. And guess what, he fixed those bugs yesterday.

#3 2019-02-20 16:58:47

Averest

I found out today that kindling can be carried in a backpack. I was shocked.

Last edited by Averest (2019-02-20 16:59:51)

#4 2019-02-20 17:05:26

Peremptive

From what I understand, the update can be summarized like this:
- jungle now actually is the same as grassland without clothes. with clothes, grassland/other "neutral" are slightly better.
- desserts are uninhabitable.
- you no longer have a 3x3 tile "box" around you determining your temp if not on floors. So there is no easy temp averaging.
- you have an 8x8 tile box  if on a floored tile. This box can be limited by walls, so that you are not affected by tiles beyond them. So if on floor, there is temp averaging again.
- fires give heat close by like before, but also have an 8x8 box which applies only to floored tiles. By having common tiles in your and the fire's airbox, you raise your temp in the cold biome. This makes fires useful and a viable way of warming quite a few people at the same time.

So now, if you have managed to build a heated space, you are better off than you would be before the update as a village in the cold. Most people have to be outside and are not really affected by the fire, working outside with clothes in the cold should be about the same as before the update.Since people didn't settle in the cold before though, the game is now overall more difficult. However it is not impossible. Unsustainability comes from the new people who are mostly dying since the update, who cause tons of waste in the village. If you are efficient though, it is totally doable. I mean, you came to my solo eve village in the jungle earlier today, you saw there was tons of food to go around. Being in jungles now is as bad as being in the grassland gathering straight shafts without clothes was before the update, and that is how most people run around then. So you can be there, but if clothed its easier to be in grass.

In my mind the only question left is if building+clothes in grassland is better than just a building in jungle, and how temp averaging on mixed temp floored tiles works.

#5 2019-02-20 17:14:22

Falsewall

Temperature shock.
Your temp will slam to extremes when entering and exiting a desert or snow tiles.  Also it stays in the extreme temp zones after leaving before returning to normal from shock.

#6 2019-02-20 17:40:11

Spoonwood

Of course, cold camps were possible even before the improvements to wood flooring.  That's another discussion though.  Cold camps were always possible.

Before the update, you could grow trees in a jungle, and stop having to gather branches in a grassland at some point in time in principle... I grew some maples in mine, though I'm not sure it was enough.  Even if you didn't have any ponds in a jungle, you could put a cistern in the jungle and it would or could be worth it (I made two in my jungle on twelve, one next to my newcomen multipurpose engine, and one near my kilns for the fractional distiller and oil rig).  I put a cistern in Frost's jungle, and she or someone else grew domestic saplings near it.  Of course you can do all of those things now, but I'm not seeing them as optimal as just wearing clothes in neutral biomes and building everything there instead.

I'm also not aware of when you built that village.  It sounds to me like you've built everything since the update, but I'm not clear on that and though before that you had built it mostly before the update.  Frost, for example, has/had (unless something has changed) a jungle structure that "she" calls a "restaurant" with full boxes and more of food (I think every food type, or at least pretty close), but she did that before the update.  So, at the bare minimum, she wouldn't be pumping out food as quickly since the update and getting other things done as quickly also if she had started since the update.

"you have an 8x8 tile box  if on a floored tile. This box can be limited by walls, so that you are not affected by tiles beyond them. So if on floor, there is temp averaging again."

That's interesting, and I don't think I quite picked that up before.  It suggests that moving a forge and/or kitchen to a mix of jungle/desert and neutral biomes might work best.  I say moving, because, perhaps only to reiterate, every single tile needs floored.

But, it still sounds like farming with clothes in a neutral biome will be better than farming under any circumstance in a jungle.  Unless I've missed something, wood flooring won't help enough for a farm (really at all since the box needs covered), and consequently, Jason's changes come as a slap in the face to any farmer caring about temperature who also wants to preserve beautiful trees.  As I tried to say before, curse Jason Rohrer.

An oven in a mixed tile setup with good averaging, could be a nice place for making rubber with the new system, I suppose.

Thanks for letting me join you earlier Peremptive!

Danish Clinch.

#7 2019-02-20 17:41:48

Spoonwood

Falsewall wrote:

Temperature shock.
Your temp will slam to extremes when entering and exiting a desert or snow tiles.  Also it stays in the extreme temp zones after leaving before returning to normal from shock.

I'm not sure that such counts as 'stuff'.  Do the mechanisms behind electricity count as 'stuff'?  Maybe they do.  Maybe they don't.  As I said, I'm not sure.

Danish Clinch.

#8 2019-02-20 21:21:58

fragilityh14

Averest wrote:

As kindling? Because you can turn the into small shafts or whatever and then turn those into firewood. Makes more sense to carry a sharp stone than a hatchet if you're out looking for wood, in case you end up needing wild foods. Still, good to know for in camp, especially if I'm carrying a full bowl or something.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#9 2019-02-20 21:26:29

Tarr
Banned

fragilityh14 wrote:
Averest wrote:

As kindling? Because you can turn the into small shafts or whatever and then turn those into firewood. Makes more sense to carry a sharp stone than a hatchet if you're out looking for wood, in case you end up needing wild foods. Still, good to know for in camp, especially if I'm carrying a full bowl or something.

While this is true, that little update actually helps with making yew branches more convenient. Either you had to haul them back to camp one by one or four at a time with a cart. Now you can actually collect the things multiple at a time and move them by bringing a hatchet which more or less brings it up to par with other wood gathering methods.

fug it’s Tarr.

#10 2019-02-20 21:36:43

fragilityh14

oh that's a good point, especially since the yew branches are preferable for kindling due to having fewer other uses.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#11 2019-02-21 03:43:56

Peremptive

Spoonwood wrote:
Falsewall wrote:

Temperature shock.

I'm not sure that such counts as 'stuff'.  Do the mechanisms behind electricity count as 'stuff'?  Maybe they do.  Maybe they don't.  As I said, I'm not sure.

You are trying to suggest Jason didn't follow his promise of adding something every week. But you can't reasonably expect new items will always be added every week, regardless of other stuff happening. People make statements and follow their spirit more or less rather than word by word. So I am not sure if something "new" was added this week. However he definitely is working to in his mind at least improve the game.

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-02-21 03:48:49)

#12 2019-02-21 04:23:21

Jason's_Mind

I can't say my opion about this topic because i'm risking being banned but Spoonwood i appreciate your effort trying to revive my last thread (i think it was very important). The funny thing is that i posted it on reddit, same post, and it lasted two hours then someone removed it. Whatever, i'm not Rage, i'm not going to spam nothing (ain't nobody have time for that) and i don't know any cyber lawyer 8) but at least there are some smart guys here and they get the idea.

#13 2019-02-21 04:27:15

Portager

No new "stuff" has been added, in terms of objects. I imagine however that those are coming within the next few updates.

Have already seen some temperature related objects on Jason's suggestions subreddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … iremovers/

#14 2019-02-21 04:53:45

JoshuaN

Ah yea that stoves idea was pretty neat huh? I really like that one.

Sustenance~   ( ・・)つ―{}@{}@{}-

#15 2019-02-21 05:03:17

Spoonwood

Peremptive wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
Falsewall wrote:

Temperature shock.

You are trying to suggest Jason didn't follow his promise of adding something every week. But you can't reasonably expect new items will always be added every week, regardless of other stuff happening. People make statements and follow their spirit more or less rather than word by word. So I am not sure if something "new" was added this week. However he definitely is working to in his mind at least improve the game.

I don't know of him experiencing any sort of family emergency.  So, I definitely can expect him to add new stuff every week since that's what he said he would do.

Danish Clinch.

#16 2019-02-21 14:38:11

Starknight_One

Three objects were added on February 15, all items for the tutorial (v200). New items added to the game for the temperature overhaul update. This is easily seen on OneTech.

#17 2019-02-21 15:27:28

Spoonwood

Starknight_One wrote:

Three objects were added on February 15, all items for the tutorial (v200). New items added to the game for the temperature overhaul update. This is easily seen on OneTech.

So three uncraftable objects by players.  Alright, that clarifies things, and you kept your facts straight.

Danish Clinch.

#18 2019-02-21 18:06:35

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I will, from time to time, go on vacation and release NO UPDATE AT ALL.

Get ready for it... in mid-March, I will be away for the week at GDC.  There will be no update!

Later, in April, I will go on a family vacation, and there will be no update!

#19 2019-02-21 18:18:28

Jason's_Mind

If the content is good, im sure nobody will complain if you go on vacations. wink

Last edited by Jason's_Mind (2019-02-21 21:03:49)

#20 2019-02-21 19:05:48

Falsewall

jasonrohrer wrote:

Get ready for it... in mid-March, I will be away for the week at GDC.  There will be no update!

What an evil man.

#21 2019-02-21 20:32:50

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

This post wasn't about any past updates or future updates.

Danish Clinch.

#22 2019-02-21 22:34:14

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, everything takes time, that's the thing, and I'm only one person.

If I focus on content, that is a full time occupation for a week.  I can't fix bugs, tweak things, improve the server code, etc.  I also can't interact (much) with the community that week.

If I focus on fixing things, that is also a full time occupation for a week.  Some bugs are REALLY hard to find and fix (like the lag-in-cities bug).  Some system reworks require a ton of thought and input from the community (like the temperature overhaul).

I simply cannot do both in one week.  And the non-content stuff needs doing, sometimes.

I decided to spend this several-week period doing this stuff in part because we're on the tail end of a bunch of game-changing bits of content (ending, most recently, with the airplane).  That seemed like a good content break point.... time to take a step back, reflect on where the game is at, and fix things that need fixing.

Also, for the past three days, I've been sick with a fever.  But I'm still sitting in here working on bug fixes, every day, and discussing this stuff with the community.  Still have a fever and headache right now, but here I am, trying to explain my work process to you...

I would suggest that you take a step back yourself and reconsider your crusade.  Not sure how long you've been playing the game (I can't easily look up stats for steam players), but realize that I've been working on this game, every day, for four years now.  I still have about two years of work to go.  I come into this home office room every day, close the door, and it's just me, alone, that makes everything in the game work.  I also have a wife and three kids, on top of everything else.

I'm not asking for pity---I'm doing what I love to do, and working for myself, and supporting my family very well along the way.

I'm just asking for understanding.  Not every demand can be met.

#23 2019-02-21 22:42:42

CrazyEddie

Get well soon, Jason. All the best to your family.

#24 2019-02-22 03:19:32

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

I would suggest that you take a step back yourself and reconsider your crusade.

You haven't pointed out a single point where I have gotten things wrong.  So what is there for me to reconsider?

Hopefully your temperature problems can get restored to some sort of balance.

Danish Clinch.

#25 2019-02-22 03:40:37

happynova

For what it's worth Jason, I appreciate you!  I regard this game as an interesting journey-in-progress you're taking us on, and I think it's silly and entitled to get all snarky if not every update gives us a diamond ring and a new pony. 

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Board footer