One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-20 06:41:43

futurebird

A new player's perspective... I want to find ruins like in the videos.

I'm new to this game and only now getting to the point where I'm more useful than a burden. I learned to make compost, farm carrots, make pies, get rabbits. I still have lot to learn.

I watch a lot of youTube videos to learn, they help a lot. But, I've noticed in the videos people often find empty villages, but that has never happened when I've played. I've had 3 kinds of experiences, in order of how interesting they were:

-being Eve or being her kid and really scrambling to even live.
-being in a huge village with lag, trying to make pies but tripping over too many people and kids clicking on doors like crazy so you can't even move
-being in a Eve village that is on the 3rd generation or so, and helping it grow.

The last one is the best, but I love the idea of finding things that other people built and fixing and re-building. Is this not a part of the game anymore?

I also like the idea that if I die the work I did, even if it's just stacking up some eggs might help someone else make it... but I get the feeling no one will ever find my constructions.

How does this work and how can I find ruins?

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-02-20 06:47:00

JoshuaN

Re: A new player's perspective... I want to find ruins like in the videos.

You'd have to get lucky and spawn near another village and happen to just stumble into them. The alternative is preparing for a long journey and setting out to find one. It all depends on luck. I found a big town once as an eve. Sadly i disconnected about a minute later and couldn't reconnect.
I would imagine with how many towns die out from starvation its possible that we might start finding more ruins than before.

Last edited by JoshuaN (2019-02-20 06:52:47)

Sustenance~   ( ・・)つ―{}@{}@{}-

#3 2019-02-20 06:48:56

futurebird

I'm just curious if it's less likely now? So, if I walk and forage maybe I'll find one?

---
omnem cibum costis

#4 2019-02-20 06:53:44

JoshuaN

Well you're more likely to find a dead eve camp than a giant mega city. Big cities are hard to build due to the over population crises.

#5 2019-02-20 06:56:09

fragilityh14

So way back in like, March or April of last year, there wasn't the "eve spiral", Eve's were spawned near the center of all manmade objects, and there wasn't decay yet, so there was just like this cluttered world of excess with no reason to do anything.

So if those videos are that old that's what you're seeing.

I have found a ruin on an iron expedition a while ago, that was a mostly decayed city with tons of wrought iron, and the baskets were broken but still there, which I believe means died like 7 hours before or something.  If you're out on a horse and cart and see signs of life far away from your city you can run around the area and maybe find a ruin, but the game isn't as such that you just come upon dead cities all the time anymore.

Also, note: this noob's question is about finding ruins, not "ermahgahd, I died in the cold, I want a refund!"

Like a few different new players I have played with since the update and helped to teach etc, this is a new player who is clearly playing and learning the game and enjoying it, post update.

I assume when he heard about this game his first thought wasn't "nice, i've always wanted to simulate standing in the desert naked"

Last edited by fragilityh14 (2019-02-20 06:58:25)

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#6 2019-02-20 06:59:31

wondaland

Today I was born to an eve who must have found a town. It was quite big, had sheep, cows, stew farm, huuuuuge berry farm and a three room building and a bunch of clothes lying around. The thing is rebuilding towns like that can be difficult without organisation. I have a feeling my eve mom wasn't too experienced/wanted to role play more than build. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the occasional RP but with so much work to do telling all the babies you love them instead of giving them jobs/directions can be detrimental.

To properly address your question it is not too common to stumble upon old towns or villages. Though I feel with the new update making survival so much harder the apocalypse will take longer to achieve so the chances may increase.

Last edited by wondaland (2019-02-20 07:00:34)

#7 2019-02-20 07:05:34

futurebird

Are there any servers with old cities? Or even just camps? It's really neat to try to figure out why a place was abandon, what broke it. Location? Something task neglected? Mosquitos?

The game is really hard.

My main gripes are that carrots don't stack, more things should stack, and there not really being a point to building the resources for a village if I'm the last guy and old just farming or making pies because no one will ever find the pies.

---
omnem cibum costis

#8 2019-02-20 07:06:55

futurebird

Oh I'm a she not a he. smile

---
omnem cibum costis

#9 2019-02-20 07:33:01

hmrka

I felt the same way when I was a newb! After a few weeks I started being average at the game and enjoyed eve runs a lot. I never heard about it before so I was suprised that living to sixty made you spawn into a town... It's a shame jason removed it, keeping a city alive for a few weeks was great.

But finding ruins/other cities is not in jason's vision for the game, and it is very rare. To keep a city alive you should make bell tower base, apocalypse bell is good too but you might get stabbed for making it. Don't know if you were in it, but in "Anal" city I made three of the bases and the civ was alive for about 5 days

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#10 2019-02-20 08:18:43

JoshuaN

ermahgahd, I died in the cold, I want a refund!

#11 2019-02-20 10:27:02

hmrka

JoshuaN wrote:

ermahgahd, I died in the cold, I want a refund!

...? This thread is not about that, If you wanna make fun of people not liking the new update go to one of the five alive threads saying its shitty lol

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#12 2019-02-20 11:41:04

Spoonwood

futurebird wrote:

Are there any servers with old cities? Or even just camps? It's really neat to try to figure out why a place was abandon, what broke it. Location? Something task neglected? Mosquitos?

The game is really hard.

My main gripes are that carrots don't stack, more things should stack, and there not really being a point to building the resources for a village if I'm the last guy and old just farming or making pies because no one will ever find the pies.

I suggest that you hop onto server12.  There exists an extensive road network on that server.  You might here a belltower sometime also.  If you can find the road structure, you can run along the road and find I think close to a dozen towns now.  Some probably still have people who play there from time to time.  There exists some towns that have a fair amount or a lot of desert though.  So, I'm not so sure about anyone playing in those towns anymore.  I have a village completely in jungle except for like my oil rig, some ponds, and a newcomen pump (though all of those lie close to the jungle) with plenty of jungle that I could/could have still use(d).  I ran away to a neighbor, who also has a lot of jungle also for a life after the update.  Then I ran far away from that neighbor's spot and started a new town in that farther away spot, but it's off the road network and since I'm still frustrated by this update killing my jungle (there is no way to cool off when farming like there is clothing for heating up), if you find my jungle village I really don't mind if you regard it as abandoned.

hmrka wrote:

I never heard about it before so I was suprised that living to sixty made you spawn into a town... It's a shame jason removed it, keeping a city alive for a few weeks was great.

So, that's not exactly true.  If there exist a low amount of fertile females on the server you're playing on, if you live to sixty, you can respawn back into the same spot where you died as an Eve if any woman playing isn't fertile (there's a period called 'womb cooldown' which prevents fertility for women between 14 and 40, but I think it's random in how long it lasts).  I think there have to exist less than 4 fertile females for this to work.  Such will not work on the bigserver at present and probably never in the future, but can work on the other servers.  I know I've done it repeatedly and seen others do such also.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#13 2019-02-20 13:33:40

CrazyEddie

hmrka wrote:

But finding ruins/other cities is not in jason's vision for the game, and it is very rare.

Jason does want it to happen occasionally, just not often or routinely. And that's been my experience - it does happen, but not often.

#14 2019-02-20 16:02:59

Falsewall

Do milkweed & onions/ burdock respawn in areas with ruins?

I only ask because I've found in tact eve ruins with off amounts of these resources in the area.

#15 2019-02-20 16:40:45

Anandamide

Yeah the way the eve spiral works now, we will still end up near lots of ruins. After the reset, the new origin of the spiral was the most recent large village, so part of the circle will overlap back on itself.

#16 2019-02-20 17:10:49

Sanshuba

I really understand you.
As you said, we can have a lot of different experiences playing this game and rebuild a city from ruins is one of those.
Sometimes I want to find ruins too, because people keep working even without fertile girls, hoping someone else in the future to find it.

I have a method, I can find a ruin in about thirty minutes.
Download the zoom-out mod, put a YouTube video on my second monitor, spawn as an Eve, make a basket, put food and a sharp stone, zoom-out the max possible and run to one direction looking for life signals.

Signals:
- Desert cactus with flower or fruit (it only generates fruit/flower if someone was near).
- Banana trees without bananas. (It does not regenerates and all banana trees have bananas), if there are a lot of banana trees without bananas, it is guaranteed to find a ruin or a running village
- Berry bushes with missing berries. The less berries the more recently someone was there.
- Tules on swamp, sharpstones and any other object made by humans.

The easiest way is looking on deserts. But always bring food and a sharpstone (to eat wild carrots).

The sad thing is that I lose some children on the way, and when we starve children we are marked as “bad mom” what decreases our chances to have more babies. So if you are older than thirty, die and start again.

I started doing that some days ago and have found:

- The first time, I was a man on a village with only men and a old Eve. I ran northeast, found a dead Eve camp very near (about 3 minutes running), there were old clothes and lot of food, I kept going and found a big town with people in about seven minutes running.
- Eve little bit older than me on a Eve camp, I had 3 boys and 1 girl by the girl died as my family tree. (I went east).
- A dead Eve camp with berries farm, tools and old baskets. I was a little bit old and had four boys, no girls, but we did great, a big carrot farm, increased the berry farm, there was a lot of soil and water near, iron as well, but they gave up when I got old. If had one girl, the village would be successfully revitalized. But we died as the last family and no one will know the history if they find the camp. (I went southwest).

I would like to know how the spawn system works. I found older villages, southwest, northeast and east. Someone told me it works on spiral, but I don’t think so after finding older villages on opposite directions.

#17 2019-02-20 17:30:13

futurebird

Thanks for the advice everyone. Sanshuba, those tips are really helpful I'm going to give it a shot. I also am curious about the spawn system... what if people spawned to the east, so one could walk west for ruins and towns and east to live in the wild? That would be cool.

---
omnem cibum costis

#18 2019-02-20 17:43:14

Peremptive

so, here is how finding ruins works: whenever you spawn as an Eve, the server does not plop you at random. Instead, Eve spawn points follow a spiral pattern. Since people tend to settle and try to make a village somewhat close to where they spawn, if you head towards those spots you should find someone (a skeleton at least).  So any time you spawn as an Eve, if you head NW,SW, NE, SE from your spawn point, one of these is going to be going out of the spiral; one will be going towards the previous eve spawn point; one to the next eve spawn point; and one going inside the spiral. If you are going inside the spiral you are most likely to find cities, since you will come across a few spawn points in a life time, one of which might have grown. So you have 1/4 chance of picking the right direction and almost likely finding a city. The zoom out mod helps.

IIRC the game now has the following system for decay: When you stop seeing an item, it stops decaying directly. When I say seeing I mean being within the area sent to you by the server, not the area the FOV limits your sight to. If you have the mod, it is the entire area you have visibility on zoomed out all the way. Rather its state is stored and the timer waiting for it to change state next time it is seen. So if you make baskets, clothes, carts etc and you go to the same spot again in 24h, all will be at the first stage of decay. If something is being seen all the time, it will decay in expected time. This is easily seen if you have a fire in a solo eve village, you can spawn back in the next day and it will still be running at the stage before firewood.

So you can stumble upon 4 day old ruins, and the baskets and carts might be in the first stage of decay. If you leave immediately and come back the next day, they will be at the second, and so on. If an area has not been seen by any players for a week, all structures decay (even those that do not normally) and everything respawns.

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-02-20 17:44:16)

#19 2019-02-20 18:09:06

happynova

To Sanshuba's list of signals, I would also add that if you see rabbits or other animals with babies, or ponds with eggs, that's also a sign that someone has been in the area at some point, since those cycles don't start until they're activated by a person's presence.  If you very travel far off and encounter such signs of past human activity, definitely take a good look around the area; even without the zoom out mod you might find something in the way of ruins, although it might not be more than a homemarker and a hatchet and some doomed Eve's bones.

I wouldn't necessarily devote lifetimes and lifetimes to wandering off in search of ruins, as it's always a real crapshoot whether you'll find anything interesting (especially if you're hoping to find a good place to settle while you can still have babies to repopulate).  But when I find myself the last male survivor of a small camp, I'll usually give it a go. Most of the time I wander into a boar or something before I get anywhere, but occasionally I'll stumble upon something cool.  Once I found a largish empty town with a horsecart, which I then used to find still more abandoned places.  It was lonely, but kind of neat.

Oh, and welcome to the game, futurebird!  It sounds like you've already learned a lot of useful stuff.

#20 2019-02-20 18:16:32

Sanshuba

It explains a lot @Peremptive, thank you. So it is basically an alien time machine with 4 buttons, you can press just one, but you don’t know where it leads.
But at least we have one more tip, if we find the body an Eve (I’ve find one body without any signals of camp), we know we aren’t out of the spiral. So we don’t need to change the direction.
Another useful informations is:
- If we go NW, NE, SW, SE we have more chances of finding sething while going N, S, W, E we have 2/4 of getting out of the spiral.
- if we reached 30 years old and didn’t find any signal of life, when we reborn as an Eve, if we go to the opposite side, our chances of finding a mega town is hugely increased (depends on the size of the spiral, but my guess is that it is big enough to don’t change the direction within one hour.

Now I have my degree of OHOL archeology and I’m ready to find ruins.

Can someone share the link of the explanation of that spiral? I would like to extract more informations. Thank you all.

P.S: TY @happynova, I didn’t know about that, wrote down.

Last edited by Sanshuba (2019-02-20 18:20:55)

#21 2019-02-20 18:47:06

fragilityh14

Basically it's just a spiral that gets bigger every time an eve is added. I don't think there is more to know about it than that it is a spiral that increases in size. (if you search "eve spiral" there should be a post from Jason from when it was added, it was probably April or May)

The main spawn things i look for are rabbits and the cactuses and milkweed, if all of the milkweed is gren, cactuses have no or flowers (and all the same0 fruit, or rabbits are just sticking their heads out of the holes, it means NO ONE has ever laid eyes on it. Bananas are less reliable, because anyone could have run past them and not picked any.

The map of this game is technically the size of Jupiter and would take like 32 real life years to walk across.

However, most of it doesn't actually exist, and spawns when it is seen. So if there's new stuff spawning, no one has been there. Once you start seeing signs of human life, both already spawned stuff and any human tools, branches on the ground, etc, kind of just look around for for the signs of human life to get heavier.

It's pretty common to find small camps, which are not necessarily Eve camps, sometimes people run off to start new camps.

So what you want to do, the next time you're born in a city with horse and carts as a man, is load up and go on an iron expedition. Bear in mind, the horses run off fast and are annoying to catch, they say they stay in biomes though i've had them take off from small biomes i've parked them in. Basically, follow signs someone has been there. If you're in a new place it's a lot easier to gather iron, you can take it home and head off a different direction. If the iron is picked out and there's all sorts of signs of life, just keep looking.

But bear in mind, people go a long way for iron, so you may be in an area that is like 1.5k from both cities in any random direction and there's just been iron searchers running through.

Listen to your mom!

#22 2019-02-20 19:30:21

Peremptive

one way to find which way the spiral goes is to do some quick disconnects. you should find the body of your previous self relatively easily. Or if you drop some items in a weird way so that your spawn point is recognizable later if you try to figure out how the spiral goes, since if you move you will die elsewhere.

I suspect ruins on the depopulated servers will be hard to find. People are likely to pick a spot after searching for a bit, plus there isn't that many people playing them, so structures would be older than a week and despawn. But on the big server it should be possible.

That said, it really isn't that easy or common to find something. The easiest time I had finding previous constructions was when I was born in a large city with a bunch of horse carts. So I just took one and went looking. Large cities with markers and many people dying of old age are likely to cause Eves to spawn close to them, at least it seems that way. Anyways, I found a couple of abandoned kilns and then a live Eve village! People were establishing a new settlement just 1.2 k away from a massive city, and were completely unaware!

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-02-20 19:30:50)

#23 2019-02-20 19:35:56

fragilityh14

i believe the abandoned city i found was about 1.5 k SE of the big city i left and no one knew it was there. Unfortunately i wasnt able to make it a second time before getting too old, I did tell people the general direction and distance, because it had more iron than one horse cart could carry, and still had some made tools etc.

I don't believe the Eves are really that far spaced,  but I don't know for sure.

Pretty sure on another iron run I was unfortunately just following the spiral, but it's hard to tell what's an Eve vs a runaway and also if anyone ran there from another direction. It seemed as if I passed a few Eve camps.

Like i said though, it's not so uncommon to find an abandoned small camp, but that iron run was the only time I've found a legit ruin in a long time, that wasn't just like a nearby city my mom had fled or something.

Listen to your mom!

#24 2019-02-20 19:57:20

Spoonwood

Peremptive wrote:

so, here is how finding ruins works: whenever you spawn as an Eve, the server does not plop you at random. Instead, Eve spawn points follow a spiral pattern. Since people tend to settle and try to make a village somewhat close to where they spawn, if you head towards those spots you should find someone (a skeleton at least).  So any time you spawn as an Eve, if you head NW,SW, NE, SE from your spawn point, one of these is going to be going out of the spiral; one will be going towards the previous eve spawn point; one to the next eve spawn point; and one going inside the spiral. If you are going inside the spiral you are most likely to find cities, since you will come across a few spawn points in a life time, one of which might have grown. So you have 1/4 chance of picking the right direction and almost likely finding a city. The zoom out mod helps.

IIRC the game now has the following system for decay: When you stop seeing an item, it stops decaying directly. When I say seeing I mean being within the area sent to you by the server, not the area the FOV limits your sight to. If you have the mod, it is the entire area you have visibility on zoomed out all the way. Rather its state is stored and the timer waiting for it to change state next time it is seen. So if you make baskets, clothes, carts etc and you go to the same spot again in 24h, all will be at the first stage of decay. If something is being seen all the time, it will decay in expected time. This is easily seen if you have a fire in a solo eve village, you can spawn back in the next day and it will still be running at the stage before firewood.

So you can stumble upon 4 day old ruins, and the baskets and carts might be in the first stage of decay. If you leave immediately and come back the next day, they will be at the second, and so on. If an area has not been seen by any players for a week, all structures decay (even those that do not normally) and everything respawns.

I'm pretty sure that baskets decay whether you're there or not.  My baskets are always decayed after a break.  Fire though and crops seem to work differently.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#25 2019-02-20 20:05:51

Tarr
Banned

Spoonwood wrote:
Peremptive wrote:

I'm pretty sure that baskets decay whether you're there or not.  My baskets are always decayed after a break.  Fire though and crops seem to work differently.

Things can only shift one transition while out of sight. So baskets after their 10 hours, 100 hours, 1000 hours, will always be returned to as flopping/decayed. Stuff like fires will down shift to the next tier slow large > small > hot coals > ashes. This is the reason you can see rabbit traps not be finished going off in 25 seconds or however long it's supposed to take since you walk out of the games loading area for the object. The reason rabbits are notorious for this sort of thing is because they have five different transitions which means you can set three bunny traps and the third could fully go off while the first or second is stuck back in one of the other transitions since you moved too far.

You can see other animals in this sort of stasis at times too. Wolves, mouflons, bears, boars, etc just standing still without moving at all. Once you attempt to interact with them they'll become active again and attempt to move.

fug it’s Tarr.

Board footer