One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-19 00:03:17

omlinson

i'm not the only one that thinks new update ain't that bad - youtube

Dude plays a lot and has taught me a lot in the past from his videos. no, i did not kill him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eROGzVvdIvk

protip: griefers can decide to become door keepers and prevent people from exiting by constantly shutting doors right after they get opened -> tested when everyone was born in tutorial

#2 2019-02-19 01:11:05

Spoonwood

Re: i'm not the only one that thinks new update ain't that bad - youtube

As someone else told me HoneyBunny is never Eve.  Consequently, his opinion comes as suspicious.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2019-02-19 01:18:42

omlinson

Spoonwood wrote:

As someone else told me HoneyBunny is never Eve.  Consequently, his opinion comes as suspicious.

funny enough, the last episode I watched-> he was eve on feb 14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x__RGmAB4M&t=1196s

Last edited by omlinson (2019-02-19 01:19:25)

#4 2019-02-19 01:21:07

Booklat1

eveing got considerably harder but still doable. Fast fire is a legit strategy and so is delaying raising kids.

#5 2019-02-19 05:00:35

fragilityh14

and Eveing should be hard, and before you pretty much only ended up as Eve if you used /die

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#6 2019-02-19 10:56:51

Peremptive

Eveing is more common now since settlements are unsustainable and die off constantly. There is no reason to settle... if you want to survive better keep moving between wild sources... the game is pointless now

#7 2019-02-19 11:27:37

LucidFugue

Settlements are not unsustainable. But pre clothing the food demand is more than doubled and you need to keep returning to a fire to maintain temperature, which slows progress and makes it easier to grief towns into oblivion.

#8 2019-02-19 12:15:45

Spoonwood

omlinson wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

funny enough, the last episode I watched-> he was eve on feb 14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x__RGmAB4M&t=1196s

Fair enough.  But, the video still reveals his opinions as suspicious.  Remember, this video happened before the update, so bear that in mind.  He congratulates himself and his family saying 'we did so much work'.  Really?  He grew three carrot rows and then started three more by the time he died.  Honestly, if I had a camp with as small of a farm as that as an Eve before the update (I don't know about now), I would be sweating bullets.  I'd be wondering what in the world my children were doing or what I had done wrong.  He ONLY thinks about growing berries and carrots even though he has corn right in front of his face, and lies next to savannah for beans (or even squash... assuming both exist in that prairie).  Sure, he has some wrought iron, but it's not all that useful for a while.  There's not enough soil or water used to need a shovel.  He didn't make it to steel tools.  Really, I've had families where by the time I'm dead we had a good size farm going, have one or two wells dug, and steel tools are getting made.  I've seen families struggling much more, but with his self-congratulatory attitude thinking that his family has gotten so much done, sorry... that's not right.  Not before the update.

Also, minus his self-congratulatory attitude his video reveals his opinion as suspicious about the update.  See where he put his carrot farm and where the other farm went?  Those spots are cold now and were cold before the update.  He had desert edges that didn't get used for a farm.  Before the update a family could get used for that.  You simply cannot find warm spots for farmers like that anymore.  And clothing simply won't get the farmers to the level of warmth that use to come as available before for farmers.  And for a smithy or kitchen it will take them LONGER to get to a point where temperature can be as good as it could be before if your family had a strong enough of a location.

Sure, if by 'not bad' that means that the game has gotten harder he isn't necessarily wrong about the update being not that bad.  But, since whether or not the game has gotten improved by becoming more difficult makes for an improvement or not, his opinion comes as suspicious.

Danish Clinch.

#9 2019-02-19 13:02:55

omlinson

Spoonwood wrote:

But, since whether or not the game has gotten improved by becoming more difficult makes for an improvement or not, his opinion comes as suspicious.

I think I finally understood the fundamental differences between my opinion and those of other vocal forum users. Some enjoy change for the sake of change versus others who expect all changes to bring immediate increases in their enjoyment (progress / improvement).

I do agree that is has gotten harder, but my enjoyment has not changed.

I am content with this game and I enjoy living through the changes. I play on average an hour a day so my limited experiences may factor in.

I strongly believe that progress (changes that improve)  is a subjective term as it tends to be used by people who are not as sceptical about the limits of human knowledge.

ex:

"This change is not progress as it has now ruined the game forever for me." -> How can we know that a direct consequence of this change will not quadruples your enjoyment?

"This change is progress as it will lead to even more positive changes to the game" -> How can we know that a direct consequence of this change will not lead to even worse changes?

"This change has left me indifferent." -> I am indifferent because changes are constant and I don't want to overthink the first two questions after each update. I'd rather just focus on using my free time to enjoy myself.

In contexts that aren't about changes in a game, my position can change...

Last edited by omlinson (2019-02-19 13:07:48)

#10 2019-02-19 13:06:11

FlyingAboo

Spoonwood wrote:

He is heavily invested in this game for his channel.  It is not uncommon for developers of games to pay YouTubers to promote their game.  When you look at this guys views compared to the average population of the game it would make allot of sense if he was actively promoting it.  I even recall him complaining in some earlier videos about the apocalypse but now he seems to have different view points.

EDIT: Odd I just saw he also posted a Steam review after the latest influx of bad reviews from the update.  Looks a bit like "Damage Control" to me.

Last edited by FlyingAboo (2019-02-19 13:12:07)

#11 2019-02-19 16:06:52

Booklat1

FlyingAboo wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

He is heavily invested in this game for his channel.  It is not uncommon for developers of games to pay YouTubers to promote their game.  When you look at this guys views compared to the average population of the game it would make allot of sense if he was actively promoting it.  I even recall him complaining in some earlier videos about the apocalypse but now he seems to have different view points.

EDIT: Odd I just saw he also posted a Steam review after the latest influx of bad reviews from the update.  Looks a bit like "Damage Control" to me.

Honestly, twisted is a good player but by no means a hardcore one. He is not a tryhard and even joked the other day that if he can survive in the new update anyone can (which was of course a joke, he is still a good player).

I suggest to anyone that realizes this game is made by a single man to wait for the next update before quitting. Im sure rebalances will be made but these tend to take a week. This video does show that the game is playable, you can even see a naked boy running around while there are clothes around, which suggests he is not a very good player. People CAN survive and progress CAN be made. Log in, if you don't find a big enough town to support you /die until you do.

#12 2019-02-19 16:20:41

WomanWizard

FlyingAboo wrote:

I wouldn't be so quick to claim the dev is paying him for damage control. He's been pretty vocal about not liking any of the recent updates since they've added nothing to the core gameplay. Now that we have an update that changes gameplay dramatically, it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that he's enjoying it.

Not saying he's not being paid by the dev. Just saying that his enjoyment of the most recent update seems pretty consistent to me considering his previous complaints.

#13 2019-02-19 16:52:24

fragilityh14

Peremptive wrote:

Eveing is more common now since settlements are unsustainable and die off constantly. There is no reason to settle... if you want to survive better keep moving between wild sources... the game is pointless now

A line made it to 78 gens yesterday. A 49 gen family is alive right now. You're simply wrong. Stop spreading lies.

Listen to your mom!

#14 2019-02-19 17:29:46

Peremptive

omlinson wrote:

I do agree that is has gotten harder, but my enjoyment has not changed

How? it is an ordeal to play now. I used to play many hours per day, now it is pointless, I barely play. If you log in over a few hours you will see all settlements die off. Before the game actually made sense and cities survived for longer, usually taken down by griefers. Now they get taken down by the game being unreasonable.

#15 2019-02-19 17:35:00

Twisted

Lol at the silly people that think Jason would actually pay me, a person that gets maybe a few thousand views per video, to say anything. Jason refuses to get the game localized into different languages which would pay for itself within days, what makes you think he'd throw money away by paying me, a person who already loves this game and plays it almost every day, to say positive things about the update? I have no clue what you people are smoking, but I want some.

We've had what I think were mostly bad updates for the past few months, and I've been pretty vocal about it in my videos, the discord, and even these here forums. But now that we finally got an update that improves the game mechanics and fixes one of the things I've been complaining about for months now, I'm 'being suspicious'? Besides, you could have just checked the description of the video to see that I'm not being paid, as any paid content must be clearly disclosed as such.

True, Eve starts are more difficult than before, but that's a completely unrelated issue that can be balanced on its own. The fact of the matter is that the new temp mechanics are just plain better and make more sense that living butt naked in the desert.

As for that Eve video:

• You don't want to focus on beans and corn as an Eve. Most people playing this game are fairly inexperienced and if you give them beans and corn they will just starve because they don't know how to turn them into food. Leave advanced foods for later, start with simple stuff

• You say that the village didn't have enough water, when in fact it had tons. That place was a patchy desert/swamp and it had water ponds everywhere - if I used Awbz's mod the amount of ponds would have blown your mind. There was over a dozen ponds within ten or so tiles, in fact if I remember correctly one of my grandkids built a road north to a pond cluster.

• There was a ton of natural soil just southwest.

• You say that iron is not that important, which tells me you probably don't have that much Eve experience. Iron usually makes or breaks the Eve town. No iron means no wells, no firewood, no sheep, no compost. You can't survive without iron.

• I didn't put the carrot farm there, someone else did. Same with the berry farm.

• If it seems like I did less than the average Eve does, that's probably true because I almost never abandon my babies. I took care of all of my kids and most of my grandkids as well, which limits what you can do in a single life. If the babies want to /die and go elsewhere that's fine, but if they want to stay I'll feed them and keep them alive even if it kills me. Behind every character in this game is a living person, and most of the time they want to play, learn, and help, not be abandoned - even though abandoning is very often the right call.

• That family lived for 43 generations, so it was definitely a success.

I am extremely invested in this game because it is the game I've been looking for my entire life. It is THE game for me, and I've been following it since 2017 and playing since it released last February. I play it on YouTube, I play it on Twitch, I play it in my free time, I read these forums, I am active in the Discord, I watch other people's OHOL videos, I am active on other people's Twitch streams always ready to teach and give advice. Fortunately for me, last summer my OHOL videos started picking up a bit of steam and they're reasonably popular these days, so yay for that.

FlyingAboo wrote:

I even recall him complaining in some earlier videos about the apocalypse but now he seems to have different view points.

The Apocalypse is a completely garbage mechanic and I've had the same opinion since day one. I don't have a different view point now, I have no idea where you got that from.

#16 2019-02-19 17:46:58

CatX

Twisted, I bought the game because of your videos. GJ. smile

#17 2019-02-19 17:55:05

Grim_Arbiter

Twisted wrote:

I have no clue what you people are smoking, but I want some.

20190216132237-1.jpg

Too much of grim's super weeds..

I honestly don't always watch through all of your OHOL vids but I will usually catch at least the beginning of them to hear your opinion on certain things. I do usually watch the other games you play all the way through though.

Thanks for making content regardless.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#18 2019-02-19 18:11:36

fragilityh14

Twisted:

Thank you!

I ALWAYS hated being naked in the desert and thought that was deeply flawed and took so much enjoyment out of the game. Suddenly, now that it's fixed, I'm "up Jason's butt", and he is my "God", this is ridiculous.

I have also been wanting a game like this my whole life, and started playing quite early. It has been horribly unbalanced, and people are only upset because they weren't used to the game being challenging.

Without challenge, this is just tedium.

Listen to your mom!

#19 2019-02-19 18:20:25

umezoom

Twisted wrote:

I am extremely invested in this game because it is the game I've been looking for my entire life. It is THE game for me, and I've been following it since 2017 and playing since it released last February. I play it on YouTube, I play it on Twitch, I play it in my free time, I read these forums, I am active in the Discord, I watch other people's OHOL videos, I am active on other people's Twitch streams always ready to teach and give advice. Fortunately for me, last summer my OHOL videos started picking up a bit of steam and they're reasonably popular these days, so yay for that.

Twisted, you are 100% the reason why I bought this game -- I watched your streams of it for several weeks before it became available on Steam -- and once I got it, it totally lived up to my expectations for it. Thanks for that!

I, for one, am totally digging the temperature update. With people using the workarounds before, the game was getting too easy and I hated that you were almost punished for having a full clothing set (i.e. getting yellow fever = inevitable and immediate death). Now you wouldn't even risk passing through a jungle fully clothed.

#20 2019-02-19 18:32:51

FlyingAboo

Twisted wrote:

Lol at the silly people that think Jason would actually pay me, a person that gets maybe a few thousand views per video, to say anything. Jason refuses to get the game localized into different languages which would pay for itself within days, what makes you think he'd throw money away by paying me, a person who already loves this game and plays it almost every day, to say positive things about the update? I have no clue what you people are smoking, but I want some.

We've had what I think were mostly bad updates for the past few months, and I've been pretty vocal about it in my videos, the discord, and even these here forums. But now that we finally got an update that improves the game mechanics and fixes one of the things I've been complaining about for months now, I'm 'being suspicious'? Besides, you could have just checked the description of the video to see that I'm not being paid, as any paid content must be clearly disclosed as such.

True, Eve starts are more difficult than before, but that's a completely unrelated issue that can be balanced on its own. The fact of the matter is that the new temp mechanics are just plain better and make more sense that living butt naked in the desert.

FlyingAboo wrote:

I even recall him complaining in some earlier videos about the apocalypse but now he seems to have different view points.

The Apocalypse is a completely garbage mechanic and I've had the same opinion since day one. I don't have a different view point now, I have no idea where you got that from.

I don't think you can compare the cost of localising the game to a little slither of a marketing budget.  Anyways, I said it is not uncommon for it to happen.   Taking a quick look at your channel it is definitely its bread and butter.  Your channel is monetised so this isn't just a passion.  It would be impossible to make anything but assumptions without seeing your analytics.  Your large influence on a huge amount of players and potential players must have some influence on the development.

Granted I have only been watching your videos for a few weeks, the impression I got from you when it was triggered twice in one week was one of contentness.

#21 2019-02-19 18:41:05

Falsewall

omlinson wrote:

Dude plays a lot and has taught me a lot in the past from his videos. no, i did not kill him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eROGzVvdIvk

protip: griefers can decide to become door keepers and prevent people from exiting by constantly shutting doors right after they get opened -> tested when everyone was born in tutorial

Don't know what you mean about door keepers.  Walked right through a door some tard was spamming.  Might have stopped me for a second.

#22 2019-02-19 18:47:52

JonySky
Website

These days I've been playing a few lives with the new update,
and I must say that it is not impossible to survive, but I fully understand the anger of the new players

With this update we turn to focus on the problem in hunger ... it seems that most causes of death are due to hunger and the game is based too much on that challenge ...
that's why we spend all our time looking for food, and eating a few minutes ... and that's not fun and it's very stressful

Some time ago, before the update, I wanted to have the longest YUM chain possible and I got a good number of food combinations,
but I was all my life (up to 35 years + -) just looking for new foods ... again we have a challenge based on hunger ...
After the update of births (good food and heat = many children) appeared and the same thing happened again ... again we had to control our food obsessively

that's why I say that this game is becoming a simulator of eating and running ... when I think it should not be like that.

In the lives that I have had after the update the cities are filled with dead bodies and the civilizations advance thanks to the most experienced players ...
that's a bit sad and eliminates the experience of teaching new things to newcomers, since it is very difficult to explain something if we have to eat every 2 minutes
I'm also seeing an augment of the thieves of clothes when it's time to die and an exaggerated augment of sponges in the fields of berries or rooms ... without leaving there and doing nothing but eat

an idea to soften this update ... I think you should implement the seasons of the year (spring, summer, autumn and winter) and create a dynamic climate, not biomes with static climates ...
the creation of dynamic climates (softer or more hardcore) will allow time to adapt and be more fun for all

Logically the desert will have higher temperatures than the snow by default ... but there should be milder times of the year than others ...

I just hope that the next update we get more types of clothes that allow us to better advance civilizations and forget to be eating every 2 minutes

#23 2019-02-19 18:56:11

Spoonwood

Twisted wrote:

As for that Eve video:

You don't want to focus on beans and corn as an Eve. Most people playing this game are fairly inexperienced and if you give them beans and corn they will just starve because they don't know how to turn them into food. Leave advanced foods for later, start with simple stuff

No.  The yum of your settlement is in principle lower or more difficult to obtain.  I don't know how many times I personally quit on a settlement, because I looked around and saw "this place only has berries and carrots.  They should have some other crops by now easily."  Also, so what if they are inexperienced?  Teach them to eat or cook those foods.  It's not that difficult.  Corn is simple!  Pick it off the vine.  Then cut it with a sharp stone or flint chip and eat it.  Green beans aren't really more difficult than carrots.  Just use a clay bowl in time instead of your hand.  Also, someone elsewhere is now saying that they have problems with corn drying out.  Additionally, corn takes 4 minutes to grow.  Moving corn is not difficult.  Berries take 12 minutes to grow.  Moving berry bushes is difficult.

Twisted wrote:

You say that iron is not that important, which tells me you probably don't have that much Eve experience. Iron usually makes or breaks the Eve town.

I am, or at least was Eve Spoon.  I did little but Eve runs for a few weeks.  I had families last 20 generations and longer without me or any friends jumping in to help out.  I think I founded more than a dozen settlements, if not more than two dozen settlements, sometimes have two or three Spoons simultaneously running.  People cannot eat iron.  Iron does not make or break towns ever, except in indirect ways.  Food does directly make or break towns.  An axe?  Not necessary until you need to keep fires going or simply must chop down trees for some reason.  A shovel?  Not necessary until you need to dig up a well or a nearby soil pit.  Usually there are enough ponds and soil pits that such rarely came as a problem early on.  A steel hoe?  I mean you used a skewer.  Seriously, if iron *before the update* made or broke the Eve town, tell me exactly how did a lack of iron break the town?  Did the water run out so crops couldn't get grown?  Did the soil run out nearby... or more likely would people just not look around soil pits? Or did people not use skewers?  Lol... compost.  How many times did you actually run around the home grassland before the update and see how many soil pits were left around?  Because I saw time after time MANY soil pits that hadn't even gotten touched.  And others not even dug up.  And I often found clusters of soil pits like that BEFORE I started using the Awbz mod.

Iron would need to come later, for sure.  But for the children of an Eve to survive before the update or even their children?  Almost surely not.  Generation three could have probably gotten iron before the first update and things could turn out alright.  Even a few ponds running out isn't such a big deal, because some water regenerates, and you only need one goose for the oil filed blank.  Sure, I would often gather iron and want my children processing it, since that would make things easier later... if a decent farm was getting built.  But, one time I came home from gathering iron and saw that my children hadn't expanded the farm at all.  Eventually I took the responsibility for not growing enough crops so that my grandchildren would have something to eat.

Also, smithing without food in place just sounds like trouble.  So, a farm should have been in place before blacksmithing really.

Then again, most of that may well come as all water under the bridge, due to the temperature update.  But funny enough... people are now suggesting NOT rushing iron tools as an Eve.

Twisted wrote:

I didn't put the carrot farm there, someone else did. Same with the berry farm.

I think you said "*we* did so much work".  So, it really doesn't matter with respect to my point who did it.  Sure, you would have to catch them as to where they threw soil before the update.

Finally, I have no interest in commenting on you in comparison to most Eves.  But, I think you overestimate your skill level for the game before the temperature update.  The biggest clue comes as that you think it made for a better idea to grow berries than corn. Oh wait... there's another clue in your video and made really clear by your video.  Your daughter says it's time for a fire, because you didn't have plates and bowls.  There are flat rocks directly below the kiln, making it less efficient to fire those bowls and plates.  How in world would iron even matter if you didn't even have the tools to even start a farm?  And you try to say that I don't know what I'm talking about.  Clearly, you gathered iron, before a farm could even get started.  That hasn't changed either.  Fired clay matters more early on than iron especially if we're talking about some clay versus some iron, because you can't start a farm without fired clay.

Danish Clinch.

#24 2019-02-19 19:07:30

fragilityh14

Spoonwood wrote:

Oh wait... there's another clue in your video and made really clear by your video.  Your daughter says it's time for a fire, because you didn't have plates and bowls.  There are flat rocks directly below the kiln, making it less efficient to fire those bowls and plates.  How in world would iron even matter if you didn't even have the tools to even start a farm?  And you try to say that I don't know what I'm talking about.  Clearly, you gathered iron, before a farm could even get started.  That hasn't changed either.  Fired clay matters more early on than iron especially if we're talking about some clay versus some iron, because you can't start a farm without fired clay.

So he's a noob because flat rocks were sitting near the kiln and someone had gathered iron?

Also, I've not heard any of the people defending the update claim to be perfect master players, they're all people claiming the game is more challenging but still entirely playable. We're also all acknowledging the need for a clothing update and some temperature system tweaking. But this is a huge step in the right direction. "Naked in the desert" was terrible.

Listen to your mom!

#25 2019-02-19 19:16:20

Twisted

Spoonwood wrote:

Corn is simple!  Pick it off the vine.  Then cut it with a sharp stone or flint chip and eat it.  Green beans aren't really more difficult than carrots.  Just use a clay bowl in time instead of your hand.  Also, someone elsewhere is now saying that they have problems with corn drying out.  Additionally, corn takes 4 minutes to grow.  Moving corn is not difficult.  Berries take 12 minutes to grow.  Moving berry bushes is difficult.

Never eat raw corn or green beans unless you have a high yum bonus. Berries are considered a bad food because they only give you 30 food per soil+water. Raw corn and green beans on the other hand give you 20 and 24 respectively, plus they require an additonal tilling, making them even worse than the already bad berries! The growth time is completely irrelevant considering the town had a few hundred bananas several tiles away, and the town was basically covered in food.

Eating them raw without yum chaining is a big big mistake, and is probably one of the reasons you're struggling so much now that the game is slightly more difficult. I'm not going to comment on your other remarks because they're all equally as silly.

There's nothing wrong with not being good at this game - it is a very difficult game with a massive learning curve - but picking on other players that are very likely more skilled than yourself is just making you look like a jerk.

Board footer