One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-02-18 12:00:21

Peremptive

Re: This week's update is the worst

fragilityh14 wrote:

yes, people who will now actually be challenged to get better instead of standing around being useless.

When i started playing before deserts learning to survive was brutal and amazing and rewarding.

IIRC twisted said deserts were added on week two of the game... so you are just being preposterous even for saying that. The game was super difficult and incomplete, it became better, more manageable, so that experienced players can actually build some things and learn something new, lets instead roll it back a year or so.

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-02-18 12:05:30)

#27 2019-02-18 13:20:18

Spoonwood

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

I just feel like he could have done this with keeping jungles the same temp and doing everything else that he did. There is no last bastion for a casual or newer player to learn. All the people on the not so good side of the scale die before they can even type out "I'm new"

I wouldn't reccomend this game how it is right now like i have to people I know personally in the past.

This!  I had grown tired of deserts myself actually.  But, jungles seemed rare, because plenty of people didn't know how to handle the bites (which isn't difficult, but you have to know how to do it or listen to someone trying to tell you).  I recall even quitting on a family before who was in a jungle before, because of the possibility of bites.  Also, ideally you would want people to trap and entomb the mosquitoes, which does take serious effort and probably would end up an intergenerational project with a true jungle with more than a few mosquitoes.  It would require teaching people or hoping that other knowledge players willing to put in the effort were around, unlike killing a snake or three yourself in a few years.  And the people doing that wouldn't be causal players, I think.  So, I think that if only jungle would have gotten nerfed they still would have been kind of rare, or at least, the choice between jungles and prairies as the third biome for the ideal intersection (grassland and swamp are necessary) I think would have been at least somewhat close.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#28 2019-02-18 13:27:58

Spoonwood

JoshuaN wrote:

You can get berries and bananas in the wild FOR FREE that regenerate.

Wild berry bushes still regenerate as I understand things.  Before this recent update, they don't regenerate.  Watching a stream since the update, I've still seen empty banana trees, so I'm fairly sure that they don't (I cut all the banana trees down in my jungle before the update after emptying them, since I figured they would be useless and more items on the ground and I could use more kindling).

Danish Clinch.

#29 2019-02-18 13:52:12

Peremptive

Spoonwood wrote:
Grim_Arbiter wrote:

I just feel like he could have done this with keeping jungles the same temp and doing everything else that he did. There is no last bastion for a casual or newer player to learn. All the people on the not so good side of the scale die before they can even type out "I'm new"

I wouldn't reccomend this game how it is right now like i have to people I know personally in the past.

This!  I had grown tired of deserts myself actually.  But, jungles seemed rare, because plenty of people didn't know how to handle the bites (which isn't difficult, but you have to know how to do it or listen to someone trying to tell you).  I recall even quitting on a family before who was in a jungle before, because of the possibility of bites.  Also, ideally you would want people to trap and entomb the mosquitoes, which does take serious effort and probably would end up an intergenerational project with a true jungle with more than a few mosquitoes.  It would require teaching people or hoping that other knowledge players willing to put in the effort were around, unlike killing a snake or three yourself in a few years.  And the people doing that wouldn't be causal players, I think.  So, I think that if only jungle would have gotten nerfed they still would have been kind of rare, or at least, the choice between jungles and prairies as the third biome for the ideal intersection (grassland and swamp are necessary) I think would have been at least somewhat close.

The problem here is that the dev only looks at really old players, and doesn't consider what the game is actually like for the average person on it. I was quite surprised when he mentioned in his post that jungles were too easy, because I had similar experiences to you. In fact, mosquitoes are the most dangerous threat to a village. Noobs don't know to go to cold biomes, but they do know to rush to their family and yell F over and over, while overheating completely. So you waste 4-5 berries to keep them alive while they needed none, and then they munch on another 3-4 berries to fill up. Mosquitoes would kill an entire village, not just the person bit, very easily, unless you dedicated significant time and resources to fill up all tiles, cut trees and remove stumps so you can navigate safely, and slowly drive the mosquitoes away. They are the only threat that can starve an entire village and the only threat that you cannot simply kill with a bow and arrow.

So I was actually very happy with how jungles worked before the update, felt it was very well thought out and reasonable. If you were a noob, you could easily die and starve your village. If you were alone and too old/young, you would be dead. But if you dedicated time and resources, were very careful about the tiles you walked on, and used steel tools to clear it, you could make a hospitable place for your settlement. I don't understand why the dev and so many people here think that the game must always be hard no matter how good you are at it and how long you have been playing. If you are an experienced player and have the mod, you are 10 times better than a noob at finding food. To make it difficult even for them, the result is making villages unsustainable and requiring everyone to forage between famines. So all noobs, or just people who were the wrong age, or didn't have the opportunity to scout and have small FOV, they just die and have no chance to learn and become good.

#30 2019-02-18 14:03:43

Rage
Banned

I still say that jason has 15 servers, like 3 of them were being used fairly regular before his 'big server' update. Why does he not keep his stupid vision of having people do nothing except eat every 2 seconds and work their ass off to wear cloths that really don't help that much, or what ever his vision for a 'too hard to enjoy' game is, and dedicate a couple of those EMPTY servers to easier settings.

If he cared at all about his player base he would do this, test which model his PAYING customers prefer and cater to the majority while also providing for all player preferences.

Hell he could have different settings on all 15, or maybe do something more reasonable like keep 10 servers and have beginner, intermediate and his hell settings available.

#31 2019-02-18 15:57:46

fragilityh14

firstly a really important note, regarding wheat running out: you can plant wheat from "bowl of wheat". I only found this out recently, after my dumbass spent time collecting wheat seeds that kept despawning on me. it is safe to cut down the last wheat to make compost, as long as you have anywhere to grow more.

berries have always regenerated and bananas never have. that wild gooseberries despawn is a myth based on the fact that it's courtesy to leave one berry for the next person in case they are desperate, and it used to be the case that one berry spawns every 10 minutes, but if they are all picked they all come back in 60 minutes. i'm not actually sure exactly how it works currently, but gooseberry bushes have never died when fully picked.

The deserts were added in update 71, but it was a while before everyone started insisting on living in them all the time. Clothes really should be an early priority, by any standard. In an early camp a male should be trapping rabbits full time and bring home 25-30 in a lifetime. If when Eve dies the camp has fire, dishes, a small farm, some clothing, and a living fertile female, she has done very well. This shouldn't be something where every camp survives.

Also, i don't know why the OP said stone hatchets break, I've literally never seen that happen and the wiki says nothing about them breaking. i assume you meant stone hoes, which should at least give you back your sharp stone and a kindling.

This game is supposed to be hard. I do remember what it was like being confused and naked in the wilderness as a noob: It was one of the most enjoyable and exhilarating gaming experiences i've ever had.

This game still just isn't very challenging once you've got the hang of it. i'm glad it actually takes some skill and effort for new camps to survive again.

Then again, I was literally the only person who said burdock and wild onion made Eveing too easy, and Jason was perplexed lol.

Also, i've raised myself in the wilds due to food shortage a ton of times, and it was only since this update that i actually sometimes began dying from it again. It shouldn't be a 0% chance of starving when you run into the woods as a 5 year old with a single gooseberry.

I've still never seen any camp past 3rd or 4th gen starve if they were actually working and the server kept giving them babies. The one that surprises me is people who want to have a bunch of pies ready before lighting the oven despite the food situation being dire. I've seen this a couple of times, where there is almost no food and someone is still filling baskets of raw pies not worried about the lack of food, so I just light the damn fire and get some pies out just in time. It does get annoying searching for kindling, but when there is a food shortage using a kindling to make only 6 pies is not waste one should be worried about.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#32 2019-02-18 16:35:21

CrazyEddie

Minor clarifications, not detracting from your points:

Bananas respawned for a brief time after they were introduced, but when everyone pointed out that this made Eve camps way too easy Jason switched them to not respawn.

Stone hatchets break. They have five uses, and 10% chance to use, which means on average they'll last 41 uses before breaking.

Stone hoes have five uses and 20% chance to use, for 21 uses on average. So they break more often than hatchets do, and generally get used more often as well. So it's common to see stone hoes break, but rare to see stone hatchets break. But they do in fact break, and we'll probably see it happen a lot more often now since Eve camps will have to chop a lot of kindling to keep a fire burning to keep babies alive.

When stone hatchets or hoes break, all you get is a broken stone tool. You don't get any stones or rope or wood back from it, it's just garbage that decays in an hour.

Last edited by CrazyEddie (2019-02-18 18:37:05)

#33 2019-02-18 18:01:26

Spoonwood

Peremptive wrote:

The problem here is that the dev only looks at really old players, and doesn't consider what the game is actually like for the average person on it. I was quite surprised when he mentioned in his post that jungles were too easy, because I had similar experiences to you. In fact, mosquitoes are the most dangerous threat to a village. Noobs don't know to go to cold biomes, but they do know to rush to their family and yell F over and over, while overheating completely. So you waste 4-5 berries to keep them alive while they needed none, and then they munch on another 3-4 berries to fill up. Mosquitoes would kill an entire village, not just the person bit, very easily, unless you dedicated significant time and resources to fill up all tiles, cut trees and remove stumps so you can navigate safely, and slowly drive the mosquitoes away. They are the only threat that can starve an entire village and the only threat that you cannot simply kill with a bow and arrow.

Removing stump isn't necessary and I think actually slows down the trapping process, because mosquitoes can't move onto a stump.  Then again, there's little use in knowing this sort of thing at present, since living in a jungle just sounds like 'try hard with not enough benefit' mode.  Also, snakes need a knife to get killed, but I think you were already thinking along the right lines.  You really only need one or two people to destroy threats in most biomes, except in jungles, where it takes more time and effort, at least if you have a sizeable jungle and want to use as much of the jungle as possible.

Rage wrote:

I still say that jason has 15 servers, like 3 of them were being used fairly regular before his 'big server' update. Why does he not keep his stupid vision of having people do nothing except eat every 2 seconds and work their ass off to wear cloths that really don't help that much, or what ever his vision for a 'too hard to enjoy' game is, and dedicate a couple of those EMPTY servers to easier settings.

If he cared at all about his player base he would do this, test which model his PAYING customers prefer and cater to the majority while also providing for all player preferences.

Hell he could have different settings on all 15, or maybe do something more reasonable like keep 10 servers and have beginner, intermediate and his hell settings available.

I think that's a better idea than what we have at present.  I don't think it's a foolproof test, but it's an experimental approach at least and has promise in other regards also.  I suggest you put that idea up here: https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggestions/

fragilityh14 wrote:

Also, i don't know why the OP said stone hatchets break, I've literally never seen that happen and the wiki says nothing about them breaking. i assume you meant stone hoes, which should at least give you back your sharp stone and a kindling.

Because they do.  Here's a simple test.  Go on a low population server and reset until you're an Eve in a grassland.  Make a stone hatchet.  Spend the rest of your life chopping up branches.  If none breaks, keep on playing using your Eve chain until one breaks.  I've seen one break with my one eyes several times.

Danish Clinch.

#34 2019-02-18 21:33:25

Rage
Banned

Rage wrote:

Hey buddy... I asked for a refund on this game not long after i purchased it. Emailed you directly and was ignored. I PAID FOR A GAME not an ordeal, and you are advertising this and offering it on steam.

This is false advertising. I want my money back or i will sue and if you do not believe me you should check case D-504-CV-2016-00293 in new mexico where i am suing innogames for 12 million dollars.

This is BULLSHIT. You cater to yours and your good buddies desires while SELLING this as a civilization and baby rearing game. IT IS NOT, it is an eating constantly and having stress game.

I WANT MY DAMN MONEY BACK

www.ragesrules.com

btw i use to be a very active game blogger, maybe i will start blogging about this game now

or i will just do that, screw this rip off 'game' i want a damn refund and have been asking for one for since i bought it.

#35 2019-02-18 21:39:27

Rage
Banned

Also jason just fyi my one thread and there are HUNDREDS on my old blog has more views than you have players. DO NOT TAKE ME LIGHTLY

4d81d50fd78e25f09f82f4fe1ca868aa.gif

refund my money and take your concept and put it where the sun does not shine or take on me

#36 2019-02-18 23:39:16

CrazyEddie

That oughtta do it, yep

#37 2019-02-19 00:00:09

Peremptive

spoonwood digging up a stump changes nothing for the mosquitoes, but it allows you to walk over it, so you won't auto-path through uncovered tiles.

Rage I am not sure how suing would go for you but the website you link to is flagged by chrome, or perhaps by my addons? Not sure

#38 2019-02-19 02:10:33

Rage
Banned

Jason has 10 days to refund my money or i will file a complaint. He better hope he has good attorneys- I represent myself and am one of the best cyber attorneys in america.

Since he ignores his forums one of you ass lickers should probably tell him.

#39 2019-02-19 03:28:21

Go! Bwah!

*adds Bowl with Corn Cob to Fire*

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#40 2019-02-19 04:21:29

Grim_Arbiter

Rage wrote:
Rage wrote:

Hey buddy... I asked for a refund on this game not long after i purchased it. Emailed you directly and was ignored. I PAID FOR A GAME not an ordeal, and you are advertising this and offering it on steam.

This is false advertising. I want my money back or i will sue and if you do not believe me you should check case D-504-CV-2016-00293 in new mexico where i am suing innogames for 12 million dollars.

This is BULLSHIT. You cater to yours and your good buddies desires while SELLING this as a civilization and baby rearing game. IT IS NOT, it is an eating constantly and having stress game.

I WANT MY DAMN MONEY BACK

www.ragesrules.com

btw i use to be a very active game blogger, maybe i will start blogging about this game now

or i will just do that, screw this rip off 'game' i want a damn refund and have been asking for one for since i bought it.

Ok not defending Jason at all but do you understand what OPEN SOURCE means? You would be suing for server acess not a game. You can literally take all the assests in this game for yourself and make a new game and charge for it.. It sounds like you have a gripe with steam more than jason and should take it up with them. They will refund any game regardless so it sounds like you went over your two hour return window and are now mad at them.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#41 2019-02-19 05:03:32

golmock

JoshuaN wrote:

Berry eaters (more than two per yum bonus chain) deserve donkey town. its just a waste of soil. You can get berries and bananas in the wild FOR FREE that regenerate. Just bring a hand cart with rubber tires and a backpack. Even just a basket if thats all you have. You can carry all the things. Rubber tires give carts a renewable 10 hours of life at the cost of a little work and makes you more productive. You can bring back 6 items / baskets rather than 4. Horse carts are nice too because they don't decay. They do wander off though if you don't tie them up properly though.

I'm loving my current playstyle of foraging because i don't starve when the village eventually overpopulates. Berries and bananas galore!

I talked about Eve's life. Do you think Eve can make a cart and a tire? Seriously?

!eve painter! You will have a color name.
I can teach you if i'm not busy. just talk to me.

#42 2019-02-19 05:07:25

golmock

Taz wrote:
golmock wrote:

Eve have to farm

No she doesn't.

Eve needs to farm.
It's a matter of course Otherwise, what are the kids and Eve eating and surviving until they're 60?
Bananas and wild gooseberry eggs are limited resources.
No matter how many wild foods are in place, the house must always have food to survive in the long run.
I doubt if you've ever played a game yourself.

#43 2019-02-19 05:12:14

golmock

fragilityh14 wrote:

yes, people who will now actually be challenged to get better instead of standing around being useless.

When i started playing before deserts learning to survive was brutal and amazing and rewarding.

I love those useless noobs.
It's worth teaching them.
I was also not good at first, and I was a useless person who ate only.
There's a time when everyone did it.
What's important is that if we don't take care of noob, this game will end up ruined.

#44 2019-02-19 05:17:22

golmock

DestinyCall wrote:

Re-balancing the temperature mechanic so deserts were too hot and jungles were not perfectly warm was a necessary change and probably should have happened much sooner.   But there is a reason why no one was building cold camps when they had the option to build warmer ones.   The options available to slow hunger loss in a cold environment are not adequate and there is no "mild" climate anywhere.   I don't want a perfect temperature haven, like jungle use to be.   However, there should be a LESS cold area for early camps to settle while they establish the basics for survival.   Eve camps should be hard .. and they ARE hard.   Even before this update.     Anyone who thinks otherwise has been playing the game so long they can't remember what it was like to be new and naked and alone. 

If it was up to me, I would re-balance the biome temperature scale so Desert and Tundra are equally deadly, like they are right now.   And I would make jungle and badlands uncomfortably hot and bitterly cold, like they are now.    But I would REDUCE the cold in grasslands, swamps and prairie so when you are running around naked in these biomes you lose only half as much per second.   Not ideal temp.  Still good benefit from clothing and buildings.   But you have more breathing room to set down your babies while you gather materials or get a fire started.  Enough time to stop and talk to your first kid so you can make a quick plan on who is doing what next.  Eventually, you will need to venture out into the more extreme biomes to gather necessary resources, like iron and flat rocks and sheep.   Getting clothes will be important.  Making structures will be useful.  But you won't be constantly on the brink of freezing so long as you watch where you wander and avoid obviously dangerous-looking biomes.   It would help newer players adapt and learn the game.  It would make logical sense and be fairly intuitive, even if you don't understand the math behind the temperature mechanic.  There would not need to be crazy heat shock to keep people away from deserts or tundra.   The starvation rate will teach people to stay clear all by itself and no one is going to be camping in a desert if they know what's good for them.

I agree with you.
Now I think Berry Meta is done.
Because berries are easy to manage, they can be good emergency food and sheep food.

By playing a few times, I found that carrots are more useful than berries in eve camps.
and quickly opened a stew farm and obtained leather and meat from hunting to make pies.

#45 2019-02-19 08:51:44

DestinyCall

CrazyEddie wrote:

Minor clarifications, not detracting from your points:

Bananas respawned for a brief time after they were introduced, but when everyone pointed out that this made Eve camps way too easy Jason switched them to not respawn.

Stone hatchets break. They have five uses, and 10% chance to use, which means on average they'll last 41 uses before breaking.

Stone hoes have five uses and 20% chance to use, for 21 uses on average. So they break more often than hatchets do, and generally get used more often as well. So it's common to see stone hoes break, but rare to see stone hatchets break. But they do in fact break, and we'll probably see it happen a lot more often now since Eve camps will have to chop a lot of kindling to keep a fire burning to keep babies alive.

When stone hatchets or hoes break, all you get is a broken stone tool. You don't get any stones or rope or wood back from it, it's just garbage that decays in an hour.

I had a hatchet break on me once during the tutorial.   It must have been the worst hatchet ever.

#46 2019-02-19 11:21:55

FlyingAboo

Jesus, I been playing the game for a few weeks and I have seen numerous hatchets break.  Shows that most the people commenting in this thread don't practice what they preach.  They are all off doing more "important" jobs, but yet justify the new changes that literally require one person to sit at a fire and make sure it doesn't go out.

#47 2019-02-19 11:25:14

FlyingAboo

Rage wrote:

Tiered servers would be a great idea.  Big server could be the intended hell he wants.  Then the small ones could be tiered by difficulty and even some that restrict building certain items to create more of a game mode.

#48 2019-02-19 11:26:02

Spoonwood

Peremptive wrote:

spoonwood digging up a stump changes nothing for the mosquitoes, but it allows you to walk over it, so you won't auto-path through uncovered tiles.

You're right about stumps.  Or at least that may well be better when I think about it.

Danish Clinch.

#49 2019-02-19 12:46:32

Rage
Banned

Nope i am not mad at steam, i didn't buy this from steam. I bought this directly from the ohol site. And i could care less this is open source. I paid 20 dollars to play this game and ASKED FOR A REFUND NOT LONG AFTER BUYING IT. Directly to jason's email. Which was ignored. Told him running around starving to death 1/2 the time looking for the 'right spot' was not fun. But instead of making a fuss I decided to just get better at the game which i did. It wasn't great and not a lot of 'fun' but manageable until this update.

FACT- This game is advertised on steam. No where on there does it say the creator can and probably will change the game at any time to make it unplayable to the general public.

FACT- I paid 20 dollars to play HERE. I don't give one care that this is an 'open source' game. I do care i paid to PLAY here. And this game is not playing, and not fun.

FACT- I will sue. In fact i will probably write up a letter of demand in the next few days, post it here and send it to jason again personally. If it is ignored, i will then proceed with the complaint.

Again i will say instead of being 'civil' about this which i am, i probably should just do what most who HATE this game do and greive. I did it for the first time last night, and destroyed several villages single handedly by eating all berries and cutting down all mesquite trees. It felt too damn mean tho but i wanted to prove a point to some of the players how easy with these settings a village can go down.

Anyone who dealt with that last night from me, sorry. It will not happen again. I am NOT mad at the player base, even the 'ass lickers'. I am mad at the dev.

#50 2019-02-19 14:21:19

Taz

golmock wrote:

I doubt if you've ever played a game yourself.

I googled random words, found this forum, signed up for an account, and spent some time making a few posts, all so that I could communicate with a stranger about a game I've never played.  *thumbs up*.

Board footer