One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-17 10:33:21

Portager

Milkmaids?

Has anyone been born into a camp with a "milkmaid"? This has happened to me twice over the past few hours.

All the women in the camp drop their babies at a fire, where a single woman feeds and clothes them all. I like the idea of freeing up women to work, but I am pretty sure that being a milkmaid would be pretty dang boring. Is this a new role with the temperature update? Or is this just a roleplay that a few users have adopted?

#2 2019-02-17 10:43:40

voy178

Re: Milkmaids?

It's very old. The job might also include scouting out the newbies from the experienced players and teach them a thing or two before they go to the berry farm and camp there.

I loved to be a wetnurse before. It's an easy job when you're new and you get to bond with the next generation. Roleplaying at its best.

#3 2019-02-17 12:26:47

Trick

Aren't they called wet nurses?

Anyway, this is an old gameplay tactic, but I think it really took hold when the original temp. update was introduced (because then it made sense to have all the babies in the perfect temp spot).  Before temp. was even a thing, babies could just run all over the place and it didn't matter much.  It also became really important when the black speech existed (i.e., the cursed ones).

Wet nursing can be a good role if you're new, like to roleplay, or even just want a break from the constant work.  I am a vet player now, but occasionally I just want to do something a bit mind-numbing, and wet nursing is good for that.

Instead of having a bunch of women who are incapacitated and not contributing because they are tending to a baby, it's better to just have one woman do it.  She can help teach, monitor for trolls/racists/etc., and decide on whether or not babies need to be sacrificed to save the town (e.g., in times of drought or famine).

Even better - a smart wet nurse will pay attention to the forger or baker that's usually nearby to try and learn.

#4 2019-02-17 20:20:08

Peremptive

Griefer killed all babies by becoming milkmaid... so many new avenues for griefing since this update

#5 2019-02-17 20:26:05

fragilityh14

This is how we used to do it before you could just set them on the edge of the biome and only have to feed like 3 times total.

I'm glad it's back.

We do need to remember to use this position for sharing important knowledge. I was just saying this in my iron thread, that these are the woman to maintain the knowledge of iron expeditions (and where it is picked out)

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#6 2019-02-17 21:08:39

JoshuaN

Peremptive wrote:

Griefer killed all babies by becoming milkmaid... so many new avenues for griefing since this update

Its really starting to become more than just a nuisance isn't it?

Sustenance~   ( ・・)つ―{}@{}@{}-

#7 2019-02-17 23:10:27

Peremptive

fragilityh14 wrote:

This is how we used to do it before you could just set them on the edge of the biome and only have to feed like 3 times total.

I'm glad it's back.

We do need to remember to use this position for sharing important knowledge. I was just saying this in my iron thread, that these are the woman to maintain the knowledge of iron expeditions (and where it is picked out)

Yeah, except it is rare that babies get to perfect temp. Women get 5 kids dumped on them, have to race to find food in a dying gray berries, starving, freezing village between feeding. The kids that were closer to the open doors die by the time she is back. Then in a few minutes, a griefer takes her spot. People see a woman in the nursery around kids, they need to drop what they were bringing to the village to quickly run to that wild bush 6 pips away to not die, so they don't question what is going on and if she is really helping or just killing the kids by pretending to feed.

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-02-17 23:10:56)

#8 2019-02-18 05:32:58

WalrusesConquer

I've been a milkmaid. I just wanted to drop my kid in the baby fire, but just then our milkmaid got too old. Now no one else was going to do it, and she was really nice, so accepted her offer. It's not that boring. All the children that I looked after referred to me as "mother" and I gained respect among the town.

It is slightly stressful because of the amount of babies but if you enjoy talking to people and making their childhood interesting, go for it! I told them stories about
"Jack and the berry bush" and
"goldilocks and the three sisters stew"

Last edited by WalrusesConquer (2019-02-18 05:33:10)

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#9 2019-02-18 20:44:23

karltown_veteran

Portager wrote:

Has anyone been born into a camp with a "milkmaid"? This has happened to me twice over the past few hours.

All the women in the camp drop their babies at a fire, where a single woman feeds and clothes them all. I like the idea of freeing up women to work, but I am pretty sure that being a milkmaid would be pretty dang boring. Is this a new role with the temperature update? Or is this just a roleplay that a few users have adopted?

It's become more important now since there are more babies being born in the same town... it's a bit boring but a good job for newer players who have not yet learned the skills to make themselves useful in other ways. And, yeah, rpers. big_smile

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

Board footer