One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-14 00:53:48

Psykout

Jason - Developmental time and road maps

As a lot of us would have guessed, the update that featured mainly bugfixes and no new tech has brought another wave of "Can we get X" "When are we getting Y" "Can we add to this area of game play instead of this area" threads. Nothing wrong with that, input and feedback is great. But I do think patience is key, that a lot of the things we have asked for have a chance to make it in, but it takes time. Perhaps if we understood the time process for implementation it would maybe curb some of these posts/feelings.

Jason - When you begin work a new addition, a new idea, how much of a design phase does that usually encompass along with time to implement into the game? How long is your testing phase, is it ONLY self tested before going live and how long does that period last? How often are things shelved/tabled versus scrapped?

I ask these questions because weekly updates is a very ambitious for a single person. It very well could take 1-3 weeks of creative process, 1-3 weeks of making sure it doesn't screw up the engine, 1+ week of testing solo (do not underestimate how very few hours this really is, this is why obvious bugs like yellow fever removing fatal wounds make it in the game - way too much to test for one person on a sizeable update) The jungle biome update was potentially being worked on for a couple months or more before it hit. Granted this might be much less than what I am speculating because of a single dev, when you start adding a lot of people to the mix forward motion can slow down, but depth increases. Large developmental teams will often begin work on an addition such as a new character or map 3-6 months ahead of its release to assure a polished project.

Regardless if Jason chimes in, and regardless of what his answers are, don't be discouraged. If after much deliberation items such as expanding the base tech tree, and making multiple paths so each biome has its own thing (igloos and seal food, desert clothing, bog iron, vine ropes) ends up in the game, it could take 3-6 months to get in safely.  It could still happen, just have some faith and patience, be subjective and concise, and don't forget to have fun with the game. Some things added are never meant to be viable and worthwhile, they are meant to just be fun and cool (looking at you radios)

#2 2019-02-14 02:24:15

Ellesanna

Re: Jason - Developmental time and road maps

I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. +1

#3 2019-02-14 19:03:17

Anshin

Re: Jason - Developmental time and road maps

Here's a video of Jason adding a hand-drawn sheep to One Hour One Life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27cztry-gJQ

[EDIT] Here's the real-time live version... It takes about an hour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbQsZ5rQ2gg

Last edited by Anshin (2019-02-14 19:06:42)

Board footer