One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-13 14:07:54

Ellesanna

Population control

Population booms are expected in the life of civilization but in OHOL it is a rather big problem as the players have no choice or say into when or where they have children, if at all. If my sister has already had three living daughters, why would I, the younger sister, pop out another two while we are going through a food shortage? In real life civilizations, population growth is directly linked to surplus' of food and even in the most primitive of societies they also had ways of birth control.
I understand why all may not be a fan, but seriously it feels like sometimes you have no option but to either abandon your young or lure a bear to kill half the population so you don't end up with eight fertile women pumping out babies and unable to do things like hunting or scouting as effectively. A woman who spends her whole life just hunting on the savannas most likely isn't interested in being a mom and would rather just collect rabbits for her already existing family. Some women choose to never have kids.
Also, eve runs. When you are trying to gather stuff and set up a base, you often times have too many kids show up way too early. Even like, five minutes of peace focused on getting all your crap together before hearing the ugly cry of a helpless newborn would help. I already suggested in the past that slings would be helpful, especially for eves.
I suggest there be some form of birth-control in OHOL to prevent there being massive population booms that starve everyone or force players to abandon or kill their young.

#2 2019-02-13 14:13:39

MultiLife

Re: Population control

I wonder if it will ever happen. I remember Jason saying he finds it way too fun to have the "ohshi-" moment when a mom pops out even more kids as she still has her hands full with other babies.
I do hope that is not preventing us from getting birth control.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#3 2019-02-13 14:22:25

CatX

Fun fact:

"Infant carrying likely emerged early in human evolution as the emergence of bipedalism would have necessitated some means of carrying babies who could no longer cling to their mothers and/or simply sit on top of their mother's back."

- Wikipedia

In OHOL we have radios and planes, but no baby carrying devices... smile

It seems babies will be able to ride carts in the future though. It's on the to do list on reddit.

- And yes, I too wish we could limit the number of babies.

#4 2019-02-13 15:56:54

Ellesanna

MultiLife wrote:

I wonder if it will ever happen. I remember Jason saying he finds it way too fun to have the "ohshi-" moment when a mom pops out even more kids as she still has her hands full with other babies.
I do hope that is not preventing us from getting birth control.

We can still have that comedic 'oh shi" moment as sometimes birth control fails or a mother forgets to go back on it after trying to have a kid. I too hope that Jason isn't using that mere factor alone to prevent birth control.

Board footer