One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-09 18:52:18

Solbusaur

Adventures in wolf-hide harvesting

After reading Tarr's clothes guide, I took note of the fact you can get an endless stream of wolf skins if you breed them.
I logged on and wanted to try it out, so I started by looking for carnitas. I found a swamp just west of the town, and located some arrows and stuff to take out the boar. I quickly changed my plan though, expecting this to happen for many cycles, and prepared some corn to domesticate the boars.

Enter Cecil, I found him trying to load an arrow into a bow, but he wasn't old enough. Having no trust for him yet, I took the bow, surprised I was even old enough. I asked him what he needed it for, and it seems he wanted to hunt boars as well. I didn't realise at the time, but he had the same intent as me.
I gave the arrow to him as a trust test, and he didn't shoot me while I was alone with him, so I believed him.
Later on, I did use that same bow to kill Thoryn, a girl who was wasting shovel durability very quickly on bodies and stealing rocks from the forge to make a graveyard. She played dumb after a while before biting the dust, but one of my supporters (Topaz Speed) stabbed an accused 'sympathiser' (Oneal Speed) for dumbing down the griefer's actions

While I was gone, Cecil must've found a different boar, because while I was domesticating a boar piglet, I came back to find carnitas next to cecil. I knew we were on the same page at that point. I finished feeding the piglet from the domestic boar, and went back into town to grab some mutton and find the closest wastelands biome.
I didn't really find one in the immediate area, and I travelled back to eat, finding some fully grown dogs in town.

Cecil had found a wolf long before me, and had bred all it's children with the carnitas he had made. Which included the baby wolf.

I could tell there was a wolf roaming the city, because three people had come to the centre hospital, dying from bite wounds. What made the wolf even more threatening was its chase behaviour, so it was like a bear was in town.
Instead of trying to kill it, I first confronted Cecil, who felt very ashamed of himself. He made a sad face, so I knew it wasn't intentional for him to grief the town with the wolf. I grabbed some mutton, and suppressed the wolf by feeding it, thus ending its spree for now. I clung onto my dream of a wolf ranch, and also got to save the remaining townsfolk. By now, it had moved north, far enough away to not harm anyone in its old age.

I got criticised for making it pregnant though, there was a very unhappy baker who I thought would stab me for my actions. Regardless, I assumed the semi-tame wolves to be biome locked, and found a pocket of swamp for the wolf pup to live in. I never saw it again when I came back with mutton though, so now I realise a pen is needed for my dream to come true. Furthermore, the old wolf was still alive, possibly even after I died, so I can tell it takes incredibly long. OneTech confirmed it for me (160 estimated moves, holy crap).

What have I learnt? Before I could do anything with wolves, next time I'll need:
-A pen, with inner walls of berries that only players can stand on, making it safer to interact with wolves
-leave ample space for old wolf movement, it takes AGES for them to die
-Have a sheep farm and pig farm. Sheep provide mutton, pigs provide carnitas
-Leave wolf farming to players who are very good at staying alive, or are very careful
-Just incase, have pads ready

Me http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=3310826
Cecil http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=3310581 (Poor guy died to his own wolf)

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#2 2019-02-09 19:05:27

InSpace

Re: Adventures in wolf-hide harvesting

Wait, so if you get a wolf preggers, what puppies come out?

#3 2019-02-09 19:44:37

Solbusaur

InSpace wrote:

Wait, so if you get a wolf preggers, what puppies come out?

https://onetech.info/1631-Semi-tame-Wolf-with-Puppies-3

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)

#4 2019-02-09 21:44:35

Solbusaur

Update: Just made a pen on the OneCityServer, and got this all done in two hours. I was lucky enough to have pigs already though
unknown.png

Board footer