One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-24 18:38:20

Solbusaur

Teaching gone sideways

I taught Nathan Drake on farming since he was a kid. Someone had just started the compost cycle, so I spent the four minutes telling him my story of nearly getting stabbed by my aunt. It's not the highlight, but here's a summary.

I was born, suspicious dude running around with a bow. We didn't like him, he dropped bow and someone snatched it, my aunt Mari, and shot him. She's in cooldown, another blonde (Forgot who) stabs me out of bloodlust. I'm panicking, trying to teach my mother how to heal with short words while she is just screaming MURDER.
Mari goes off cooldown and saves me. I ask the stabber to be killed, but instead, MY SAVIOUR, pulls out a knife and tried to kill me (Missed poorly) again only ten seconds later (I'm thinking 'Wtf is this another griefer duo!?')

Anyway, I survived. Little Nathan wanted to know how to farm. I showed him the basics, growing berries. He followed relatively well, the occasional mistake of using a bowl on a deep well. He said thanks, but I continued to show him how to make milkweed. Taught him about soil spending and such.

I ask what else he wants to learn, and he says 'Murder'

I heard what he said, but tried to get more context from him. He says 'This town is good. I won't murder good people. Kill bad' and other stuff in sort of cryptic broken sentences. I cut off the topic by telling him murder is bad, you need good judgement before you're allowed to be responsible with a knife. I briefly remind him of my childhood trauma, and he says it was exciting. From a story standpoint it may have been, but it wasn't fiction. I gave him an angry glare, told him murder is a terrible thing, and moved on.

It went back and forth a bit between teaching and telling him off, he was talking about killing bad people only (AFTER saying 'This town is good' 'Will burn other towns'), I talked about judgement. Apparently he already knew how to kill (tbh it wasn't hard for him or anyone, just press escape for instructions) so I taught him one lesson on killing. Don't do it, or donkey town will be your new home.
He says 'Ooooh so thats what that was' and that set off a red flag for me, like he had experienced murder firsthand already.

The rest of the life, I just handed my stuff to other people. He might've tried to take it, stalking me and my inheritors, but being new, he found it hard to do in a sheep pen with mutton everywhere, not knowing how to swap items from the ground. At least he was interested in clothes in the end rather than shanking.

Anyway, I love teaching players, but how can you make a noob understand that killing isn't a main part of the game? I feel like some just see all the shit you can get away with and think 'I want that to be me!'

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=3067033 Me
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=3067033 Nathan Drake

Last edited by Solbusaur (2019-01-24 18:39:28)

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#2 2019-01-24 19:37:14

DestinyCall

Re: Teaching gone sideways

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

#3 2019-01-24 19:44:46

Solbusaur

Funny, that's what I said to him...

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)

#4 2019-01-24 20:21:26

happynova

Solbusaur wrote:

Someone had just started the compost cycle

That was me!  (http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=3067238)  I caught bits and pieces of your story while you and Nathan were moving around nearby, but never did get to hear the whole thing.  I did see that exchange where you asked him what else he wanted to learn and he said "murder," and rolled my eyes at it while I carried on with my composting.  I figured as a naked, unarmed, and apparently clueless newbie he probably wasn't too much of a threat (which it sounds like I may have been wrong about) and that you seemed to have him in hand or at least to be keeping an eye on him (which sounds like it was right), so I didn't worry too hard about him, though.

I gotta say, my own time in that town was incredibly peaceful and lovely.  Best life I've had in a while, with (other than that guy, I guess) really nice, productive people and everything necessary getting done.  Well, except that we needed a Newcomen pump.  I made one towards the end of my life, and taught someone else how to do it in the process, which was quite rewarding.

Looking at the family tree now, though, it appears the family might have gone back to its stabby ways...

Anyway, it's amazing to me how many new players immediately start to fixate on the idea that they can kill people.   I think some of 'em are just so used to games where PvP is an actual thing that they expect it to be more part pf this one than it is.  They also often immediately want to go out hunting, usually the second they first see a fire bow and think it's an actual bow.  It's like they just have this idea in their heads that games (or the exiting parts of games) are mostly about killing things.  Or they think it's the easiest thing to figure out how to do, maybe because it's something they're used to doing.

And, then, of course, some of 'em are just jerks. smile

#5 2019-01-24 20:44:07

Solbusaur

Thank you so much for the compost, it really helped with the milkweed production. I was really hoping someone would notice his behaviour, glad you did at least. I wanted attention, because I was considering making his final 'lesson' a demonstration of murder, and I wanted to have some back up to explain the drama that would ensue.

It appeared I had him in hand, but he was so adamant to stab something that I was so close to taking him into the woods to kill him myself. Obviously that would put him in another town where he could do his thing though.

#6 2019-01-24 21:01:58

happynova

Solbusaur wrote:

Thank you so much for the compost, it really helped with the milkweed production. I was really hoping someone would notice his behaviour, glad you did at least. I wanted attention, because I was considering making his final 'lesson' a demonstration of murder, and I wanted to have some back up to explain the drama that would ensue.

If you'd killed him, I would have totally backed you up on it.  Well, I'm not sure I actually caught your names at the time, but it probably wouldn't have been hard to make me realize which guy it was you stabbed.

I'm a little sorry now I didn't jump in and back you up at the time, though.  I really was kinda busy with that compost!  That's my excuse. smile

#7 2019-01-24 21:46:17

CrazyEddie

I had someone new-ish ask me whether PVP was enabled. I was puzzled, but said "yes". Then he asked how you kill people.

Some people simply don't understand what this game is about.

Board footer