One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-23 14:48:15

Tarr
Banned

To my student.

You approached me while I was setting to finish up my engine that got delayed in the previous life asking me if I knew mach-ines and I figured if you were genuinely interested in learning about the newcomen machine I was using I would teach you as I worked. While our lesson didn't cover everything possible with the different bits and bobs we started small with rods and pipes we would need for a soon needed oil rig to match our newly finished diesel engine. I could have skipped showing you how to make the rubber for the newcomen core but this wasn't about speed. Everything was meant to pass on even just a little bit of the wealth of knowledge to someone who curious enough to ask me while I worked. We spent our youth taking the baby steps to our end goal, we finished the rig but of course this still means we would have to fire the thing.

Just as luck had brought you to me in the first place all my bad rng finally let me have a break. We struck oil on the first try. This meant the extra pipes we had made could be made into the jacket so without any time to spare we hurried back to our little forge and proceeded to knock the first thing off the bucket. As we got older our task never got any easier for the either of us. I stepped out to find some iron while I tasked you to make a new pump jacket for the waiting well. As I returned I found you fumbling around the forge, you had accidentally forgotten to fire the forge while the whirling of the rollers went on. Do you know what? You remind me of myself student. Eager and quick to attempt new things but sometimes you forget a step remember not to be so hasty the next attempt. 

At this point our second student joins the party, a man not too much younger than yourself but still grey and aging like the both of us. We make the jacket then finish up the distillery and at this point I instruct you to put the valve in the empty well you guys find. Normally this is the big payoff for all the hard work put into the engine. What was once my own personal project has now blossomed into a group project shared between three individuals. The engine is in place, the rig is ready to fire, and the distillery is prepped for making kerosene. Together we make the first tank of kerosene then happily we hurry over to the shiny diesel engine just begging to finally get used. The engine erupts into a roar as the three of us watch the engine work its magic and the first buckets of water are pulled from the well.

But like all lives in this game they have a start and an end. In times like this it almost feels like the game and the hour are never long enough, I had you promise me you would continue to teach the future children what you had learned and you thanked me for all the lessons I had taught. I had finished exactly what I had set out to do in that lifetime: finish the engine from the previous life, set up the oil rig + distillery, and produce a few tanks of kerosene to pass to the future. What I wasn't expecting was a reminder of the purest enjoyment that comes from this game.  It's easy to become jaded in this game when you are constantly dealing with rude people and trolls whose only desire is to ruin the game for all those around them. It's these brief and rare lives that I look back on and remember why I fell in love with this game in the first place.

So thank you. Thank you for being curious, thank you for letting me teach you, and thank you for reminding me why I play this game.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=3048868 - Me
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=3048868 - My student.

Last edited by Tarr (2019-01-23 14:48:36)

fug it’s Tarr.

#2 2019-01-23 16:03:09

CrazyEddie

Re: To my student.

This was excellent.

We need more of this in the game.

#3 2019-01-23 16:23:51

Grim_Arbiter

Hey maybe your student will teach me one day.

I can already make the newcomen pump and smith everything needed, but the actual want for learing the diesel engine just isnt there for me yet. I know it's an important development and I can always one tech it and go on greep's and build one but I'd rather learn by happy accident somehow. Like not even really trying to in the first place but still learning it.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#4 2019-01-23 19:40:05

omlinson

Yeah, learning and teaching in game is what makes this a great experience for me.

I will always remember trying to make corn tortillas and only managing to get as far as bowl of corn in limewater as me and my brother spent a most of years just figuring out how to get corn kernels.

#5 2019-01-23 20:51:50

hmrka

Aww that's cute. The first time I messed something up when a smith taught me (knowing im a noob) he was so angry lol. He wasn't really that bad because I did learn how crucibles and bellows work from him, but he didn't seem to have much patience for me. The thing I messed up was - I made a steel file because I thought it can later be made into a knife. Idk why I thought like that maybe I read the wiki wrong haha. And even before that one time I got stabbed for standing near forge, without a warning or anything rip. Didn't make me any less curious about how it works, but for some time I just stayed away from them, and I was doing more easy work like being a town medic and baking. Wish I had such a good teacher like you when I was learning.

It's good now tho, I got oil for maybe about 8 towns? Didn't start it in all of them but I finished :D first town where I did it it has taken me two lives to figure out, It was the connected town where we had a desert/snow biome west with lots of saurerkraut, I think you were eve in that town a few times, I was the baby who ran up to you and asked to be named gio. Ty for naming me that when I got reborn too.

When new updates come out I often find myself in that group of town weirdos bringing every new thing into town and trying to make something from them. I remember these situations mostly from when cows and oil got added.

ps. tarr plz teach me radio

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#6 2019-01-23 21:14:09

Alias

This. This is not a game of optimizing getting to top of tech tree. It's not even game of passing on best tools for future generation. It's a game of passing on knowledge and experience through in game interaction with other players!
This simple thing brings heavier punch that in fact meaningless saving universe or slaying a dragon in other games. Because teaching another character in this game transcends the game and means teaching another living human being and enabling them to carry on when you cannot go on.

Board footer