One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-19 03:57:47

dangergirl713

Bad Lag in Big Civs?

Just wondering if anyone was experiencing this? It's been bad since the day before the update. Like it's powerpoint frames. hmm

#2 2019-01-19 04:01:24

Crumpaloo

Re: Bad Lag in Big Civs?

dangergirl713 wrote:

Just wondering if anyone was experiencing this? It's been bad since the day before the update. Like it's powerpoint frames. hmm

What does the FPS counter show when this is happening? Have you looked at your ping/network while this is going on as well?

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#3 2019-01-23 20:11:11

Mr.XIX

Same here.
FPS drops and any action I issue, is executed after it's finished drawing every other players (movement-) actions.
Lowering settings (like target FPS) doesn't seem to fix the issue.
It does render quicker but then starts bouncing at target location (indicating I'm still walking server-side).

#4 2019-01-24 02:43:13

dangergirl713

FPS slows down to 25fps from 60-50fps when I am in a big civ and I am usually doing the weird rubber dance where I go back and forth. Also, see rubber banding and teleporting of other characters. My internet speed during the lag is 82.4 mbps download/ 40.8 mbps upload latency is 12ms. I switched over to another game Dead by Daylight and didn't have any lag issues. I was on server 1 with 158 players on the server and the lag went away when I went to an area away from the civ.

Other players were remarking on the lag and the area had a lot of deaths since it was in a berry patch.

#5 2019-01-24 06:33:30

lionon

Somebody recently posted a patch to the client that eased this situation dramatically.

#6 2019-01-28 06:33:17

Léonard

dangergirl713 wrote:

I am usually doing the weird rubber dance where I go back and forth.

I have been experiencing this ever since Jason started the big server tests.
It's very weird because this seems to only happens when there are a lot of people running around like in a big city for example.
When I'm far from the town, I can play and do things normally and when I measure my ping it is normal (usually around 120).
But when I go back in the town, things start to choke up.
I have tested this a bunch of times, even going back and forth sometimes to make sure.
When I'm at the heart of a big town, my ping will measure up to 6 seconds, sometimes even 8 seconds, picking up items or any interaction take forever (the rubber dance you mention happens while the client waits for an update).
It's interesting because it seems to scale with the distance between you and the town, when this happens and I'm at the edge, ping will only rise up to about 600/800 ms.

It's almost like the FPS lag issue with clients, it seems that having lots of objects being drawn on the screen doesn't necessarily tank my FPS, but as soon as there is a certain number of people running around close to me, things get choppy.
It seems like the game has difficulties with handling many players around, both on server and client.
That's my guess anyways.
Anyone else experience this the same way?

I've also heard of people having the game freezing up at map load since the big server tests began but I've personally never experienced this or anything like it so far.

#7 2019-02-01 12:41:54

Léonard

This is still a big issue for me.
Today I wanted to try out the new content for the update and was immediately born into a big town where people were almost there.
So naturally I started helping and got to smith some stuff. Big mistake.
In the smithing area specifically my ping would stay at a constant 6 seconds (as mentioned above).
Doing anything useful in a timely fashion was just impossible.
This really, really needs to be looked into.
What point is there in having cool "big servers" that allow much bigger civilizations/cities if some people simply cannot play in them?

#8 2019-02-01 14:16:08

BlueDiamondAvatar

Hi,

I've seen a lot of people complain about this, in the game and outside of it, but I'm not experiencing it.  Sooo...

Please go start a github report!   That's where Jason looks for problem areas to fix.

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues

As much as people are complaining, no one has started a bug report on this in the week since the bigserver update.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#9 2019-02-01 16:59:05

Greep

Rubber banding in multiplayer games isn't a client issue, it's bad internet connection or something.  Your client says "I'm moving or doing somethng here!" and the server is saying "actually the last move I got from you was five seconds ago, so we're updating you to where you really are".  I would not even report this unless you talk with people in game and everyone is saying they're getting lag.

FPS is a different matter, though.

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#10 2019-02-01 19:16:44

CrazyEddie

Greep wrote:

Rubber banding in multiplayer games isn't a client issue, it's bad internet connection or something.  Your client says "I'm moving or doing somethng here!" and the server is saying "actually the last move I got from you was five seconds ago, so we're updating you to where you really are".  I would not even report this unless you talk with people in game and everyone is saying they're getting lag.

Rubber banding can also be a server issue, and when it is it doesn't necessarily affect everyone equally.

#11 2019-02-02 02:44:41

Greep

Well, the alternative is everyone all the time making bug reports of the same thing every day.  Just sayin', probably ain't worth reporting unless everyone sees it happening.

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

Board footer