One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#126 2018-11-23 09:48:22

mikekchar

Re: VirtualBox image with Ubuntu and OHOL test server pre-installed

If this is on VitualBox, probably the reason is that the virtual machine is configured not to allow forwarded connections for security reasons -- it only allows connections from localhost.  I don't have VirtualBox on my computer any more, so I can't troubleshoot it for you, but hopefully this will allow someone else to help you.

#127 2018-11-24 06:56:15

subria

I always respawn in the same place where I begin game. How I can respawn in the camp where I was building.

Last edited by subria (2018-11-24 06:56:30)

Ownership is the solution for everything.

#128 2018-12-06 21:22:38

Amia

Hey, so I'm not really sure if this topic is still active at all, but after attempting to follow the instructions, I got to step 7 or so before it just started giving me errors. I'm not really sure what they mean as I'm honestly awful with anything to do with computers or programming (Outside of playing games and basic usage, mind you), but I did notice the 'Kernel Panic' thing mentioned by Lexyvil on page 1 amongst the readout.

I don't know enough to resolve the issue, but my PC is supposedly a 64-bit, yet all files automatically reroute to 32-bit (Even my Program Files list with 'x86' beside the filename) and yet they always work just fine. I did however notice that it would not allow me to make a file using the 64-bit program at all with VirtualBox, which was....odd, to say the least as I can normally run both types in other cases.

If anyone cares to see the log itself in case it matches their own or in case they have a desire to try to figure out what's wrong, I've saved a copy of it here. If anyone does try to resolve it, let me know. I'd love to hear what the issue is, even if I'm inept at this sort of thing.

#129 2018-12-06 22:00:43

CrazyEddie

If you're on Windows and are having trouble getting the VirtualBox Ubuntu image to work, try using the native Windows server package made by Awbz instead. It's simple to install and run.

That's it!

#130 2018-12-07 19:30:21

Amia

Oh my god, it works! Thank you!

#131 2018-12-07 23:01:29

Amia

Ahh, one question though. Is there any way to get the server to save somewhere on my computer or someplace? I had to close it down for a bit earlier and when I came back, the entire server was still there, but back in an untouched state, with all my progress long gone.

#132 2018-12-07 23:08:30

CrazyEddie

An interesting question! I'm not sure. I think by design some aspects of the world are reset when the server restarts. I recall reading that some things are not reset and carry over across server restarts, but I don't know what they are, if anything.

Someone else may know better.

#133 2018-12-07 23:23:48

Amia

So if I want it to carry over in the meantime, I may have to leave the server running at all times? Hrm....hopefully someone will know a better solution than that, but it's all I can come up with right now. xD

In any case, thank you so much for your help. Even if it resets me like this, I can at least play around here and there by myself, even if I have to restart a lot for a while. I really appreciate the help!

#134 2019-01-31 00:57:41

Maggie1Life

So far I tried two version of the server on Windows, both the original one posted by Bimber and the one made by Awbz. But neither of them work perfectly on my computer. Can any one help me?

1, For Bimber's version, I run it in Ubuntu 32 bit using the VirtualBox. I can run it successfully but the objects are weird. Like an eaten berry bush becomes a hatchet and a used hatchet becomes a waterpool with the duck! With more and more objects being not what they supposed to be, I can not memorize every one of it! So i really need to fix this.

2, For Awbz's version, I can run the client part without any problem on the official server. However there is a version mismatch between my client (194) and my private server (193). Maybe he will update the package. But I just wonder is there any way to update the server by myself?

Solve any one of these two will help me a lot!
Thank you guys!!

#135 2020-01-20 23:13:05

danijo55@yahoo.com

ok I have done everything and that is saying alot because I know nothing about setting it up. When i try to login it says login failed. So does anybody know what to do now. When i try to login the server says connection made but it fail due to wrong login format but works when not trying to connect to the new server.

#136 2020-01-20 23:32:42

QuirkySmirkyIan

nice necroposting

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#137 2020-01-20 23:48:35

danijo55@yahoo.com

sry ):

#138 2020-01-21 02:03:07

pein

well this one is a nice topic and still relevant

anyone tried to do it with vmware?

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#139 2020-01-21 15:51:47

Mekkie

danijo55@yahoo.com wrote:

ok I have done everything and that is saying alot because I know nothing about setting it up. When i try to login it says login failed. So does anybody know what to do now. When i try to login the server says connection made but it fail due to wrong login format but works when not trying to connect to the new server.

What were you trying to log into?  Ubuntu or the client itself after the server is up?  It may simply be a case of the old 'type anything into the key' box, or may be something else entirely.  Also make sure the server is not set to a different password than the client, if you have that enabled.

#140 2020-01-22 21:38:02

danijo55@yahoo.com

Into the client. It says login wrong format.

#141 2020-01-23 18:38:42

danijo55@yahoo.com

If you get a login error, either use Temp Login, or change the email address to something else to force it to re-authenticate. i tried to change it but it still won't let me in. In the server it says it gets connection but it failed because the login format is wrong. So what is the temp login?

Last edited by danijo55@yahoo.com (2020-01-23 21:31:34)

#142 2020-01-23 21:56:18

danijo55@yahoo.com

Mekkie wrote:
danijo55@yahoo.com wrote:

What were you trying to log into?  Ubuntu or the client itself after the server is up?  It may simply be a case of the old 'type anything into the key' box, or may be something else entirely.  Also make sure the server is not set to a different password than the client, if you have that enabled.

If you get a login error, either use Temp Login, or change the email address to something else to force it to re-authenticate. i tried to change it but it still won't let me in. In the server it says it gets connection but it failed because the login format is wrong. So what is the temp login?

#143 2020-01-23 22:21:22

Mekkie

I've never had that issue, i'm not sure.

Only thing I can think of is to double check that your requireTicketServerCheck.ini is set to 0 in the server config, and you have something (anything) written in the "email" field.

As far as setting up your own custom key/account service I can't help you there.. i've only ever hosted for myself and friends with no tickets using a client/server password instead.

#144 2020-01-25 22:09:54

danijo55@yahoo.com

Mekkie wrote:

I've never had that issue, i'm not sure.

Only thing I can think of is to double check that your requireTicketServerCheck.ini is set to 0 in the server config, and you have something (anything) written in the "email" field.

As far as setting up your own custom key/account service I can't help you there.. i've only ever hosted for myself and friends with no tickets using a client/server password instead.

I just ended up renting a server from zap.com but I do want to thank everybody that helped me. Now I am off to try and find the files and what i need to edit to make it better smile. So if you know any files names i need and what i need to change it to I would love to know them!

#145 2020-04-07 04:50:59

Caiaphus Tarwater

To revive this old thread, I put about eight hours into this effort and failed, but I appreciate that OP made a tremendous effort here.  I was trying to create a practice space for myself.  I'm an enthusiastic noob with some computer background (not a rookie with ini files at least). 

I searched everything in the Forum I could find and on Reddit as well.  Some (too much?) of it was beyond me.  Maybe the newer updates make this challenging.

You can practice a lot in the tutorial area (by forging an axe and shovel and escaping from that area), but your time is limited, and you start fresh every time so you can never practice more than the basic tasks.

You can also practice by going to Settings at the opening screen and logging into one of the empty servers, for example, ADDRESS: server1.onehouronelife.com PORT: 8005.  You spawn as an Eve on a fresh map and never have babies. It's good practice, but again you start fresh every time so you can never practice more than the basic tasks before dying.

I guess the only real way to get past the basics is to study the third-party sources like onetech,  gamepedia, and video tutorials and then hope you get a chance in the real game to hone your skills.

I'm finding that to be quite challenging.  Life in the real game is tough. : )

Last edited by Caiaphus Tarwater (2020-04-07 04:58:24)

#146 2020-04-07 06:12:17

Tristan379

Don't forget that you can download the win_full download from Awbz' repo and run his pre-compiled server, then connect to localhost for single-player practice.

Hero the roadbuilder
Student of the Morti school of berry management

#147 2020-04-07 07:27:30

Elsayal

Caiaphus Tarwater wrote:

It's good practice, but again you start fresh every time so you can never practice more than the basic tasks before dying.

No you don't Sir ! If you die at old age as eve you respawn near your last body. That way you can practise and get all the time you need.

But you HAVE TO die from old age. So at some point you may die from other cause. But well, you can try to find your old town back. Or find a new one. Or go on a server without nobody so you can reach your home from their.

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#148 2020-04-07 16:43:02

Caiaphus Tarwater

Tristan379 wrote:

Don't forget that you can download the win_full download from Awbz' repo and run his pre-compiled server, then connect to localhost for single-player practice.

Yes, I worked with that, thank you, and I got the mod working for my own use, but I did not succeed in creating my own server with the OneLifeServer executable or the RunServer bat file.  I'll see if I can pm you with my basic questions if you have time.

Tristan379 wrote:

No you don't Sir ! If you die at old age as eve you respawn near your last body. That way you can practice and get all the time you need.

That's game-changing news for me!  I did respawn once in my old town, but I assumed that was just random luck.  Thanks, that'll be good motivation and I can really build something.

Late last night I was on Server1 and suddenly I had a baby.  It was a veteran player who I guess was curious as to what I was doing out there in Server1 land all by myself. I picked up my baby and explained that I was a noob just practicing and that, "Now we will surely die." My baby said, "N."  That player was good.  I learned a lot just from watching him/her, and with their help I actually made it to old age, despite doing incredibly dumb things like making shoes before making a backpack (I was going to give them to my daughter as a gift).  I do find that many veterans are helpful and encouraging, which makes all the difference in this often difficult world.

I have now lost the link to the page that reports current, real-time traffic on the fifteen servers.  Can someone in-the-know post that link again, please?

Thanx to everyone who has helped to make this game so cool.

Last edited by Caiaphus Tarwater (2020-04-07 16:50:14)

#149 2020-04-07 16:56:37

Elsayal

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#150 2023-05-17 10:57:34

grimmreefer

Considering how old this post is I don't have high hopes of a reply, but even after expanding the virtual storage and everything properly, it still says not enough room on disk when running the sh pullAndBuildTestSystem.sh command. Am i missing something?

Last edited by grimmreefer (2023-05-17 10:58:28)

Board footer