One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-06 16:26:10

Luniatji

Killed for being a "cheater"?

I always use AWBZ's zoomout mod, mostly one time or two times zoomed out (1.5 and 2 of normal view I think?) and look after that to the info menu saying ".. girls related" ".. fertile woman related". I don't think that's bad or something; it can be a distent view of someone else because I see more, but again, I don't think thats a problem. I can help find things easier than someone who runs around in circles for example. I'm also not using the function to grief- like hiding things further away- but I can use it in following a griefer, because he can't see me following but I can see him do things. Not a bad thing either if you ask me.

So, I just had a life as June, gen 11 from the Farthing dynastie in a big, big village. I was running around getting backpacks, raising kids, losing kids because they suïcide and just playing; at one point become a little worried because there was no girl in the dynastie, only two other female fertile woman beside me. So I was happy when I got a girl, who promptly suïcide thanks kid, then after that another girl. I was happy with her so named her and brought her into the bakery, where my mom was asking if there were girls. So I looked at my screen from AWBZ and told her "No girls except this one, three fertile woman including me." my mom, baffled, asked me how I know that so I explained "I use AWBZ's mod".

Then it turned downhill. My mom, aunt and the girl in my arms promptly told me I was a cheater, so I tried to explain that I wasn't cheating; I only can look furhter! Before I came far in my explaination though, my mom stabbed me for the reason "Cheaters have to die!" and the girl fell to the ground. My aunt tried to safe me, but no pads, then the girl died- leaving "No girls related" in the right corner of my screen- and then I died. I think I get a baby on the very last moment because there is a kid after my daughter Amelia, but I didn't saw him being born.

But, I really don't know what is the problem with using this mod? It was seeming so big issue so that people killed me, but why? It's not that I got a big avangement towards others! Yes I see more of the world in one eye, but it isn't like I use- I don't know- mods where I can fly or never get hungry or can run twice as fast as other people? It's the first time people have a problem at all, I'm not shady about using it, but before this someone at least say "Oh can you help me find this or that?" Why the sudden hate against it?

#2 2019-01-06 16:33:05

MariMcMillan

Re: Killed for being a "cheater"?

I saw you getting murdered and was baffled aswell. Over the use of AWBZ, murdered??
I can tell you, your killer was not fed and died right after you, she deserved that.

So yeah, i don't think awbz is cheating, i too don't use the far out zoom often, only when i'm looking for something specifik i can't find with normal zoom walking around.
If you like the mod, use it as you please, if you don't like the mod, don't. But don't start killing other players over that. Specially when it's the last fertile woman in your civ.

#3 2019-01-06 16:49:49

Lotus

Using mods is allowed by Jason, and available to anyone (excluding people with Macs, as far as I know) so it shouldn’t be considered a cheat. Some people just want some extra drama. So using AWBZ mod isn’t a cheat; is making custom content for other games considered cheating? If I had the availability to use that mod, I would damn well use it.

Last edited by Lotus (2019-01-06 16:50:27)

#4 2019-01-06 18:24:44

MultiLife

Three people accused you of cheating, really? Interesting.
People like to fling around terms that are not what they think they are, such as griefer and cheater. People who use AWBZ mod are not cheaters.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#5 2019-01-06 18:29:38

BlueDiamondAvatar

HI!
I was your daughter Esmerelda in the Thor family. earlier today.

Killers are gonna kill.  They are also going to come up with random reasons for killing you and try to make you believe that it's your fault you are getting killed. It is not.  Don't believe them.

I appreciate that there are people playing with AWBZ around me, when I want to find something.  Don't be afraid to keep using it.  This is a random anomaly.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#6 2019-01-06 18:35:11

Tea

People seem to look for any reason to stab someone.

I got stabbed because I was having a little bit of fun, role playing while holding my comatose daughter as long as possible in my arms, trying to "sell" her to someone. Some played along but then a woman had to stab me because of reasons I forgot.

Then I got almost shot because I was having a snowball fight with some people. Mind you they were either young or not doing anything and I would always feed them and work as well. But no fun allowed.

So yea, it doesn't surprise me that you got killed because you "cheated" ^^ People these days !

Like everyone else tells you, using the mod is not cheating.

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#7 2019-01-06 18:45:45

Tarr
Banned

As everyone mentioned some people just look for a "valid" reason to kill. I personally got killed today while attempting to put together the diesel engine for the wanderer family because I "killed" someones mother. When in reality I spent 40 minutes getting everything prepped and ready to start putting boering/lathing all the pieces for the thing together.

If someone is trying to turn people against you randomly/messing with you I just recommend killing them. Snowball is the best choice since it doesn't look like you're dying much more than annoying them and you avoid murder cooldown.

Basically if someone is being a rude dude or trying to make up an excuse on why to kill you just remove them yourself.

fug it’s Tarr.

#8 2019-01-06 18:55:09

Cecil

Depending on how it's used, it can be cheating.

I've been killed while hiding behind a tree sprite. I had been taunting the townies so I knew I should stay low for a while. I would not have been found inside the bush, except on the furthest zoom levels, the mod only renders players and people can see where you are before the terrain loads. A person walked right up to the tree with a bow and shot me.

I consider that 100% cheating.

But if you're just using it to navigate or locate biomes, I don't really care because it doesn't affect me.

#9 2019-01-06 19:04:51

Tea

Tarr wrote:

... Snowball is the best choice since it doesn't look like you're dying much more than annoying them and you avoid murder cooldown.

Just curious, how many times do you have to hit someone with a snowball to kill them ? Does the amount of snowball thrown at someone count or if they are hit repeatedly in a short amount of time ?

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#10 2019-01-06 19:20:07

Tarr
Banned

Tea wrote:

Just curious, how many times do you have to hit someone with a snowball to kill them ? Does the amount of snowball thrown at someone count or if they are hit repeatedly in a short amount of time ?

Four times within quick succession will trigger death by snowball basically what is happening is the snowball disease is coded like yellow fever was originally where it's treated like normal wounds. Getting four wounds (or in this case snowballs) will drastically lower the death timer to a point where death kicks in before the snowball emote disappears.

If you're bad at aiming you can also just hit someone when they go to feed themselves. Hitting someone with a snowball drops their current item and stops them from picking up items for 10 seconds while also lowering their temperature. Basically old people and children are the easiest to stun lock out of eating but they can be fed by other people.

fug it’s Tarr.

#11 2019-01-06 19:20:10

lionon

Yeah, as said recently, this seems to be the new (now already a few weeks old) griefer-meta. They escalate drama as fast as they can over the most petty things...

#12 2019-01-06 20:08:40

CrazyEddie

Luniatji wrote:

My mom, aunt and the girl in my arms promptly told me I was a cheater [..] my mom stabbed me for the reason "Cheaters have to die!"

They are retarded. Ignore them.

Most people know about Awbz' client and don't care who uses it.

#13 2019-01-06 22:30:31

Greep

Well, it's multiplayer, and you get an advantage to people not doing it, and it's officially discouraged.  That's pretty much the definition of cheating hmm  It's true that it just affects you but think of it this way.   What if a client could magically make you not hunger at all?  Pretty obviously cheating, even though it only affects you.  And especially with towns competing for babies in the last few updates, your utility kinda does affect everyone, and people in other towns negatively.

Let's be real awbz does give you a pretty sizable advantage, probably greater than no hunger to an experienced player.  Ask yourself why you're using it in the first place and it becomes pretty clear how.

That said, the game is pretty sandboxy, non-discouraged options exist that seriously negatively impact other towns (griefing, /die) so I don't really see why anyone would care enough to stab someone, not to mention conversations are pretty awful without awbz. Step one foot away, view center shifts, oh no I can't hear you!

Last edited by Greep (2019-01-06 22:47:46)

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#14 2019-01-07 07:16:29

disoculated

Greep wrote:

Well, it's multiplayer, and you get an advantage to people not doing it, and it's officially discouraged.  That's pretty much the definition of cheating hmm  It's true that it just affects you but think of it this way.   What if a client could magically make you not hunger at all?  Pretty obviously cheating, even though it only affects you.  And especially with towns competing for babies in the last few updates, your utility kinda does affect everyone, and people in other towns negatively.

Let's be real awbz does give you a pretty sizable advantage, probably greater than no hunger to an experienced player.  Ask yourself why you're using it in the first place and it becomes pretty clear how.

That said, the game is pretty sandboxy, non-discouraged options exist that seriously negatively impact other towns (griefing, /die) so I don't really see why anyone would care enough to stab someone, not to mention conversations are pretty awful without awbz. Step one foot away, view center shifts, oh no I can't hear you!

Is it discouraged?  In this thread it's stated that Jason doesn't care.  Is there an official position stated anywhere?

Awbz exists because the official client doesn't do some really simple things that it really should.  Default zoom looks like you're playing a game on VHS, some zooming is a no brainer.  Having to press a key to talk is awkward and with awbz, you just type.  F key macros for slash commands instead of having to type them out is nice too.  Shortcuts for naming your kids, well, I don't use it, but for people with themes I can get the attraction.  A little box with my age and fertility status should be in the main game already as well.

Aside from the higher zoom ranges and the box with fertility info on your family, it's things that should ALREADY BE IN THE DAMN CLIENT.  If they had been, nobody would have made Awbz in the first place.

I think that's it for the feature list unless you're also running a custom server (which of course aren't the official ones).  Oh, except for the useless little arrow zoomie thing that someone needs to make an AwbzPlus client, that has that removed.   wink

Last edited by disoculated (2019-01-07 07:16:50)

#15 2019-01-07 08:25:33

Alias

I was your aunt that tried to save you. Unfortunately didn't succeed. I didn't notice anyone except the murderer to call you a cheater. And other's said this was lame to kill you.
You weren't murdered because of the mod - which i use myself - but because someone wanted to kill another player and found lame excuse. In such cases it's instant curse from me.

Another life when I was over 55 someone stabbed me in claimed he wanted to give me knife. Bonus BS points as I had knife in my BP. They kill elderly as they have limited time to respond. Still instant curse.

#16 2019-01-07 10:38:30

golmock

How does it hurt them to see more and know more information?
Using mod can help improve the village development.
They just wanted to kill people. To kill innocent girls and terminally women I should call them griffers.

!eve painter! You will have a color name.
I can teach you if i'm not busy. just talk to me.

#17 2019-01-07 14:20:02

CrazyEddie

disoculated wrote:

Is it discouraged?  In this thread it's stated that Jason doesn't care.  Is there an official position stated anywhere?

Jason deliberately chose the zoom level he did, and he doesn't want to change that. He recognizes that he can't stop you from using a client with zoom, but he would prefer that people didn't.

Sources:

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 1063#p1063

First, the tech:
Well, I picked the zoom many years ago, and it's deeply integrated into the game on many levels, including the protocol.  I.e., it's not a simple change for me to show you "more tiles."  (Also, the bigger the visible area, the larger the map chunks and database pulls, the more load on the servers, the fewer players each server can support, etc.)

Second, the look/feel:
All the art is hand-drawn and scanned at screen resolution, making it all "perfect."  Scaling adds blurring or aliasing, depending on which way it is scaled.  I spend a lot of time on the artwork, with all those fine pen lines.  I want that stuff looking as crisp and as detailed as possible.

The game has a close zoom, with relatively large tiles and characters (128x128 tiles) to give a kind of intimate feeling as opposed to a distant "god's view" of the world.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 318#p34318

Well, I wish people wouldn't use it, but it's open source and I can't stop you.
But it's not the experience that I intended.

I have a particular way I want the game to look and feel

#18 2019-01-07 14:53:14

disoculated

CrazyEddie wrote:
disoculated wrote:

Jason deliberately chose the zoom level he did, and he doesn't want to change that. He recognizes that he can't stop you from using a client with zoom, but he would prefer that people didn't.

I won't debate those points too much other than say that the second thread you linked has some very strong opinions that are worth reading for either side of the argument.  As requested, you cited your sources, bravo good sir.  And while it seems a lukewarm disapproval (he certainly could do more than mosquitoes to try and discouraging zooming/modding) it certainly is one.

Morally, this puts me in a quandary though.  The game is literally unplayable without some zoom for me (30 in monitor, the pixels in default look like poppy seeds... that can't be his artistic vision either!).  Also, the other quality of life input modifications from Awbz don't appear to be part of the discussion.  I don't feel like I'm cheating?

I feel like I'm the one playing the game the way everyone should be able to enjoy it.  hmm

#19 2019-01-07 14:59:19

Tarr
Banned

disoculated wrote:

I won't debate those points too much other than say that the second thread you linked has some very strong opinions that are worth reading for either side of the argument.  As requested, you cited your sources, bravo good sir.  And while it seems a lukewarm disapproval (he certainly could do more than mosquitoes to try and discouraging zooming/modding) it certainly is one.

Morally, this puts me in a quandary though.  The game is literally unplayable without some zoom for me (30 in monitor, the pixels in default look like poppy seeds... that can't be his artistic vision either!).  Also, the other quality of life input modifications from Awbz don't appear to be part of the discussion.  I don't feel like I'm cheating?

I feel like I'm the one playing the game the way everyone should be able to enjoy it.  hmm

Enjoy the game how you feel is best for you. All him adding mosquitoes did was move certain players like myself to replacing the sprites with something actually visible. As long as your version of fun isn't ruining other peoples fun what does it matter that you play in the way you do? They just as you do have the ability to play with whatever mods you want to they either haven't been informed of the mod yet or choose not to use it which is on them.

fug it’s Tarr.

#20 2019-01-07 18:47:37

CrazyEddie

disoculated wrote:

Your morality can rest easy. You are definitely not cheating. This is not a competitive game; there's no ethos of sportsmanship to adhere to.

Jason has an aesthetic that he is trying to convey through the game to people who play the game. By using a zoom mod you are missing out on some aspect of that aesthetic. However, you have no obligation to enjoy the game the way that Jason thinks you should enjoy it.

I happen to agree with you. I believe I understand why Jason chose the zoom level he did, but also I believe the game would be improved without compromising his aesthetic if it were slightly more zoomed out.

Board footer