One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-05 10:58:08

Glassius

The relief of the doomed village

AWBZ mod is great, especially information about alive female relatives and fertility. I was the last fertile woman and spent entire life in berry farm on the desert edge, full eaten, to increase spawn chances. Had many sons, but only one girl who suicided with infant girl.

When there were no more fertile people left, I felt relief. Finally I could go craft. Before I started spawning kids I collected full setup for backpack, only a needle was lacking. But I could not assemble it, as distance to village was to high to carry both a raw rabbit and kids back. Now, I took my newbie son to teach him. He was taught how to fertilize with soil, how to water bushes, how to make a bucket from rope, a wooden disk and board. I died right before teaching him how to make a backpack. I hope, he figured it himself.

This reliefing, when I know there is no future made me possible to focus on here and now. I had an awesome life with teaching some newbies, watching how a new things are showing around, crafted by other, more experienced family members. A life in this game, even with no legacy, can be very rewarding.

BTW, this newbie son was born to me twice. How often a mother can have a second chance to take care of sadly died infant?

Last edited by Glassius (2019-04-23 22:13:34)

#2 2019-01-05 11:44:10

lowdt

Re: The relief of the doomed village

"How often a mother can have a second chance to take care of sadly died infant?"

in my opinion... once every two hours or so...

#3 2019-01-05 12:23:09

Glassius

You are wrong, because no mother live 2 hours in OHOL. This player sweared, he was born to me twice in one life.

#4 2019-01-05 12:47:05

Tarr
Banned

As many times as you're unlucky to hit the same mother. Before /die was introduced I managed to hit the same woman 5 times in her lifespan. I think I ended up being 5/7 of her total children she had that life.

Last edited by Tarr (2019-01-05 12:51:11)

fug it’s Tarr.

#5 2019-01-05 12:50:18

Glassius

LOL, I did not know about that. But it makes both me and lowdt wrong. I didn't knew it is now so common to be born the same mother twice. He did not know, lineage ban is so easy to overpass. And obviously forgot about a lifespan of 1 hour.

#6 2019-01-05 12:57:30

Morti

Pretty sure it's up to thirty minutes.

If you die before having spent thirty minutes in a family, there is a chance you can be reborn to that family if one of the women is next in line for kids.

I've used this to my advantage many times to get larger projects done, it's risky, as there is no guarentee you will be reborn to the same family, but the payoff is nice. You can easily spend age 3-28 working on a project, die at 28-29, then be reborn to your mother, aunt or a sister or possibly even a daughter, and continue working on that same project from 3-60.

It means a lot to me, be able to do this, as I don't talk very much, I just like to work, on anything and everything, and seeing a village grow through more time is satisfying.

However, if I do die before 30 and am not immediately reborn to the same family, I will accept that and do the same with the next family I am born to. Often times it's not entirely intentional but it just seems that I get really into a project at around age 25-28, and almost... unconsciously wind up starving to death.

You can work multiple projects in multiple families this way.

Also, once that thirty minutes is up there is a 3 hour timer that starts, at least, I'm pretty sure it's 3 hours, that will give you a chance to be reborn again to the same family, where you can basically do the 60+ to <90 minute thing over again.

From a different perspective, I'd hate if my kids used this <30 minute exploit and I happened to be living a full life. I really want to see them in that last moment, as I do sometimes get attached to different people for different reasons. Especially those of you who work the hardest and can always find something productive to be doing.

#7 2019-01-05 13:08:33

Morti

Sorry to the mothers that may have gotten attached to me if I was working hard from 3-28 and happen to die without warning.

I'm especially sorry if I am not reborn to your family and in the time that I am gone, things fall apart as the consumers outpace the producers.

As long as lessons are learned, and we persevere, the whole game's community gets stronger; greater cities, on each day's horizon.

#8 2019-01-05 13:21:13

Glassius

This a very important point! It does mean, that game mechanics encourages players to suicide before 30 minutes of gameplay. We can treat it as a funny interpretation of the mid-life crisis. But for me it is exploit. Dying of old age should be rewarding, not suiciding!

Without knowledge of this exploit I proposed an ability to be respawn in certain family as a reward for dying of old age. I wanted players to affiliate to a village/family trough multiple lifecycles, and as a result create long lasting settlements which will interact which each other. Currently it is impossible, as every village exists only on its own and basic sustain is taking all resources necessary to explore, find and interact with other settlements.

But, a family/village (home marker?) reborn token would fix also this exploit. I think I will suggest it officialy. What do you think about it, Morti?

Last edited by Glassius (2019-01-05 13:22:35)

#9 2019-01-05 13:26:08

MultiLife

I also take advantage of the "doomed lineage" situation, often seeing if I can teach someone or finish a project with someone. Sometimes I make a road and litter it with pies (Eve-road), hoping it's discovered and brings people back to the long dead town. Sometimes I stay to goof around with others, while cleaning up the place. Sometimes I set off to find others, usually with a horse. But I always aim to live until the end, hoping to see some miracles.
Not long ago I stumbled into a town with only three old men left. I was a fertile woman, so you can imagine the reaction when I waltzed in from the wilderness. big_smile

Sometimes, when I see we ran out of girls, everyone goes to die and ask for stabs. Once I was an Eve, whose only surviving child was a son. When he realized the situation, he quickly went to starve himself. I said to him that I could teach him things if he stayed, but he didn't care.
Sometimes a teaching opportunity is denied like that...

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#10 2019-01-05 20:22:52

Morti

Glassius wrote:

... What do you think about it, Morti?

I don't think the <30 minute thing is a very reliable exploit. It's more of a coincidence. It's not the kind of thing you can count on to be reborn to the same place. The odds go up if there are a lot of fertile girls in the town, and there aren't a ton of people playing the game, even post steam, so, it's not as if there are hundreds of villages or Eves at once.

I don't really mind what way the rebirth works, so long as it does.

I don't mind being an Eve but the second to tenth generations are probably the most enjoyable.

If I recall, there was a time when an Eve that had managed to live to old age had an increased chance of being reborn into her family line. Apparently Jason thought this was better, for some reason. Much as I would love to be the child of my daughter or grad daughter after having lived a full life in a place, it's okay with me that I have to play another 2-3 hours to even have a chance of seeing the home I picked, again. I generally put a good amount of effort into finding a suitable home, and often lose many children along the way, but not because I abandon them, but because, I think they either see me running with nothing and don't want to wait or just want to be born at a later stage.

Much as I wish more people played the way I do and had more patience, I can't force people to want to stay with me, or any Eve. Best I can do is reassure you that I will do everything I can to insure we have a reasonable home while still affording myself a little time to settle in and give birth to kids while we're in the place I've decided upon.

I will say I think it's a shame when people give up on their town just because their lineage cannot continue. I've found so many little camps, villages and large towns as an Eve or, the child of an Eve, out looking for iron, rabbits or just scouting the land. I'd like to encourage all of you to never give up on your towns and try to leave the place in as good as shape as you can with the idea that an Eve or anyone else may find it and revitalize it. With the way we are all learning that how the Eve spiral works, thanks to thundersen and everyone else looking into it, I hope you all can see from data what I've known from experience; that there is a chance we will see our old homes again.

Sure would be interesting of we could work the spirals back to some of those places we lived 6-9 months ago, but those are quite a ways away now. Besides, who knows if they still even exist after two apocalypses and the jungle patch? No, better homes still exist out there and it's okay that the spirals work their way out to them. Better that we get the chance to do things right with a fresh start. It's not as much about the land or the towns anyway, it's about us; our experiences with each other, learning to recognize problems before they crop up and doing what needs to be done so that our family and town manages without us.

However, I don't want us to just keep things going, I want us to go above and beyond what we've done before.

So much is still possible, even if there was never another patch, we could manage some really amazing towns with lots of horses and cars and resources, stored across the map. I've had so many dreams about this game, so many... never mind that though.

I'd rather just play and not get too caught up in mechanics of the game. Code isn't my thing, but I'm glad it's someones, or we wouldn't be here.

#11 2019-01-05 23:00:49

CrazyEddie

Morti, thanks for taking the time a few weeks ago to talk to me in San-Cal and demonstrate your amazing pork taco production line!

I never say anyone is playing the game "wrong" because I sincerely believe it's everyone's prerogative to decide for themselves how they want to approach the game. I do think your method of continuing to work on a project in life after life runs counter to the aesthetic that Jason was aiming for (which is, I think, why you call it an 'exploit').

I agree with your sentiments about not giving up on towns, on always trying to see what more you can do in any situation you're born into. I do the same, always acting as if there is a chance that even a doomed town might be rediscovered by someone else someday and trying to leave a legacy of some kind.

I enjoy getting reborn into a town I've contributed to (or even founded! that's the best!). There's a tension between "don't keep being reborn to work on the same projects" and "never ever see the same place again"; I feel like an occasional revisitation is very good, but that it could become very bad if it happened too often and lost the feeling of being special.

I don't mind being an Eve but the second to tenth generations are probably the most enjoyable.

I feel the same way.

It's not as much about the land or the towns anyway, it's about us; our experiences with each other, learning to recognize problems before they crop up and doing what needs to be done so that our family and town manages without us.

I feel the same way. Well said.

#12 2019-01-06 13:35:32

Morti

CrazyEddie wrote:

Morti, thanks for taking the time a few weeks ago to talk to me in San-Cal and demonstrate your amazing pork taco production line!

Can we talk about this for a minute? Why is limestone used for making tacos?
I live a walking distance from the largest limestone quarry in the world. It's called limestone because of the way water that flows through it becomes lime green, it has nothing to do with actual limes! And it's certainly not used in making masa dough!

Wait a minute... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masa

Field corn grain is dried and then treated by soaking and cooking the mature, hard grain in a diluted solution of slaked lime (calcium hydroxide) or wood ash.

... slaked lime links to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_hydroxide

--

Limestone... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limestone

Limestone has numerous uses: as a building material, an essential component of concrete (Portland cement), as aggregate for the base of roads, as white pigment or filler in products such as toothpaste or paints, as a chemical feedstock for the production of lime, as a soil conditioner, or as a popular decorative addition to rock gardens.

...as a chemical feedstock for the production of lime,

Lime links to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lime_(material)

The rocks and minerals from which these materials are derived, typically limestone or chalk, are composed primarily of calcium carbonate. They may be cut, crushed, or pulverized and chemically altered. Burning (calcination) converts them into the highly caustic material quicklime (calcium oxide) and, through subsequent addition of water, into the less caustic (but still strongly alkaline) slaked lime or hydrated lime (calcium hydroxide, Ca(OH)2), the process of which is called slaking of lime. Lime kilns are the kilns used for lime burning and slaking.

--

OK then, nevermind.
I stand corrected.
Interesting.

Here I thought Jason just didn't want to add limes to the game.

And in the process I've learned that it's the basic chemical property of calcium hydroxide that breaks down the cellulose of the corn, and not the acidity of lime juice. Lime juice isn't even used in making masa dough, calcium hydroxide is.

Interesting.

Okay.

Good to know.

Hope you appreciate me sharing that little discovery.

Have a nice day.

Board footer