One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-01 04:46:00

GreatShawn

Where is Jason?

i hope jason can be engaging in this community more. He had been unseen in the forums since (I think) the industrial update, and this leads to the players' thoughts being unheard. This also makes him someone people cannot interact with directly, someone invisible. So jason please quit being silent and be a part of the community. We will love you to be someone we can all talk to, not someone hiding behind the shadows, occationally brings out one or two new things without knowing wheather the community likes it or not.

big_smile

#2 2019-01-01 05:12:16

Baker

Re: Where is Jason?

I find it's easier to E-Mail him directly, I've done it a few times and he's replied within a few days each time. His email is jasonrohrer@fastmail.fm.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#3 2019-01-01 06:10:41

Turnipseed

Jason is incredibly involved in the community if you want more 1 on 1 interaction try joining discord he often pops in and says hi

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#4 2019-01-01 07:59:13

BlueDiamondAvatar

Jason actually started an active thread in this forum just before the latest release - requesting feedback on the eve-chaining issue. 

What I find especially upsetting though, is that he didn't listen.  A bunch of us chimed in about the fact that we like re-discovering old cities, and his only comment was, "endgame cities make players feel listless."  Which given a bunch of us had just said we like that aspect of gameplay... is totally dismissive. 

Instead he pushed out eve-spawning into the wilderness even harder than anyone thought he would, and released a re-hash of the apocalypse idea with a new *incentive* for killing people.  Ugh.  I've seen a lot more blatantly evil behavior the past few days.  It's like griefers have been given permission to grief by the dev, which, Oh, I guess they have.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#5 2019-01-01 15:19:59

hmrka

BlueDiamondAvatar wrote:

Jason actually started an active thread in this forum just before the latest release - requesting feedback on the eve-chaining issue. 

What I find especially upsetting though, is that he didn't listen.  A bunch of us chimed in about the fact that we like re-discovering old cities, and his only comment was, "endgame cities make players feel listless."  Which given a bunch of us had just said we like that aspect of gameplay... is totally dismissive. 

Instead he pushed out eve-spawning into the wilderness even harder than anyone thought he would, and released a re-hash of the apocalypse idea with a new *incentive* for killing people.  Ugh.  I've seen a lot more blatantly evil behavior the past few days.  It's like griefers have been given permission to grief by the dev, which, Oh, I guess they have.

Im only still playing cause I like roleplaying - passing down crowns, telling my mom that I love her, etc etc.

I agree with what you said and It's really upsetting. Im not lazy and I like staying and helping in an undeveloped camp, but It's the cities that bring back most of my memories. Yesterday I spawned in a city that lived like two weeks ago and my mom was eve. I saw the berry field - where an old woman was obssesed with bushes, the forge - where I got stabbed for throwing snowballs and annoying people (lol) , and a church! When I was there a week ago It was still being built, but It looked so beautiful now. I planted some roses in it to honour the workers.

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#6 2019-01-02 18:00:52

Stormyzabeast

Agreed. This new update is fucking bullshit. I'm so angry I haven't even touched the game. The world is so big! Why not leave our old relics alone?? Let us find the old places and remember old stories etc. Tell our babies about "that one life" while we're raising them. Ugh. Most amazing addictive game ever is being ruined... Maybe he's tired of it? Hire a team Jason! Up the tech tree, stop killing us off and let us grow, damn!

I am Eve Toadvine. I name my kids Alex, Jason, Jake, Holly and Disney characters. Forager and road builder extraordinaire!

#7 2019-01-03 01:40:25

GreatShawn

Stormyzabeast wrote:

Agreed. This new update is fucking bullshit. I'm so angry I haven't even touched the game. The world is so big! Why not leave our old relics alone?? Let us find the old places and remember old stories etc. Tell our babies about "that one life" while we're raising them. Ugh. Most amazing addictive game ever is being ruined... Maybe he's tired of it? Hire a team Jason! Up the tech tree, stop killing us off and let us grow, damn!

Wow. Maybe a bit extreme.

#8 2019-01-04 03:38:24

Stormyzabeast

GreatShawn wrote:
Stormyzabeast wrote:

Wow. Maybe a bit extreme.

Maybe! But I love this game, I don't want it getting destroyed.. Most people are unhappy, not just me, I just have a big mouth.
He made something so amazing and different, now it's just a hot f*ing mess!

I am Eve Toadvine. I name my kids Alex, Jason, Jake, Holly and Disney characters. Forager and road builder extraordinaire!

#9 2019-01-04 14:29:23

Falsewall

Baker wrote:

I find it's easier to E-Mail him directly, I've done it a few times and he's replied within a few days each time. His email is

Jason doesn't like his email hanging around in text form.  Gave it to me as an image last time due to bots collecting emails.

Last edited by Falsewall (2019-01-04 14:29:56)

#10 2019-01-04 20:10:34

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Jason is here.

But he also has to do the actual work of getting an update out every week.  And there still are 50+ reported bugs that need to be fixed.  And dozens of emails coming in every day that need to be answered.

And he also has a family.  And he took some time off for the holidays.

And he's trying to have a balanced life beyond just working on this game and thinking about it every waking moment.

So, given all of that, "interacting with the community" has taken a bit of a back seat.

I'm trying, but it's really hard to balance it all.

#11 2019-01-04 20:13:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Also, which of your favorite games on Steam received a weekly update, as promised, the day after Christmas?

#12 2019-01-04 20:19:29

GreatShawn

jasonrohrer wrote:

Jason is here.

But he also has to do the actual work of getting an update out every week.  And there still are 50+ reported bugs that need to be fixed.  And dozens of emails coming in every day that need to be answered.

And he's trying to have a balanced life beyond just working on this game and thinking about it every waking moment.

So, given all of that, "interacting with the community" has taken a bit of a back seat.

SANTA ROHRER! YOU FULLFILLED MY CHRISTMAS WISH!!

#13 2019-01-05 04:38:56

Tane

jasonrohrer wrote:

Jason is here.

Churr for the snowmen, finally made one last night.
Most of us get that you have a family, we have ones too and know what its like. Blue has a point though. From what I've seen, the consensus among players is that we all love coming across old ruins, or at least being in a position where we could. This is a great game with a great original premise, but it may be growing bigger than you yourself can handle. It might be getting to that time where you hire a small team to help with the bugs.
I guess the question you'll have to answer is whether you ultimately want to make the best product for most amount of people and sacrifice a bit of creative control, or keep complete creative scope but have a increasingly frustrated fan base when the work expands.

Its never easy to keep that balance, so I don't envy you in that respect.

#14 2019-01-05 09:39:02

Psykout

jasonrohrer wrote:

Jason is here.

I personally want to say thank you for your time. I can easily see that you are putting in extra hard work to keeping connected with us, evident by this post itself, and the fact that your latest news update HEAVILY includes thoughts and information from the community, even going as far as directly naming two.

To everyone else, he will stop by and post when he can, he is reading, this game is his current mancave/work of passion. He's not going to disappear for weeks, give him time and don't derail intelligible thoughts with nonsense like iron nerfs etc. It's very clear that if we are constructively discussing mechanics and doing excellent data gathering (amazing work Thundersen) on these forums, we have an opportunity to be a part of creating this game. Crying for attention will not have that same result.

Board footer