One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-31 18:56:13

antking:]#

Farming plants! the poor potato

ahh the good old potato this humble crop makes up most of my diet, I am willing to bet that you eat some from of the potato in there meals.

now for some history the potato was first grown in south america it was farmed by the ancient peruvians, which would evolve to the great Incan empire potatoes were easy to grow and were high with proteins and carbohydrates, they harbored essential fats, vitamins, and minerals!

When this glories crop was brought to the Spanish they were rejected, people in Europe did not want to indulge in dull and tasteless foods from strange new lands, ,south america,it was also to closely related to the deadly night shade plant belladonna for comfort. So potatoes were used as decorative garden plants.

It took another 200 years for the potato to become a staple food source, but mostly for low income worked. Around the 1750 peasant population steadily grew, do to an inexpensive, widely available, and nutritious diet of potatoes. This made the peasants less at the mercy of grain shortages.

All three of the British, Dutch, and German empire rose in power, do to the increase of farmers, laborers, and soldiers! Placing the west into its state of world dominion. But the potato can also destroy empires as it builds them! When Ireland adopted the potato their population sky rocketed from 1 million to 8 million! As there population rose so did their dependency on potatoes... Thats where disaster struck, potato blight disease ravaged their fields of potatoes.

This caused the worlds most deadly famine yet, the Irish potato famine... over 1 million died in Ireland and over 2 million left their homes, behind. This  wasn't the endow the crop though, and even through that Europe's working class began to steadily rice once again.

With a large, sustainable, and well fed population, perfect to handle the next age, the industrial revolution, where Europe, became heavily populated by factories and machines. which begs the question would we have even had the industrial revolution if it weren't for the potato?

With all these accomplishments I am overly surprised that the thing hasn't got an update in ages, or ever. All we can do now is chuck it into a oven and get a backed potato! Its not even the good compared to other food sources!

here is my tire list of food sources

1-5 every type of civilization has them
6-10 every accomplished civilization has them
11-15 where are they?
1. gooseberry bush
2. ripe wheat
3. carrot patch
4. sheep
5. barrel cactus
6. corn
7. beans
8. domestic geese
9. squash
10. cow/ milk cow
11. cabbage
12. potato
14. fishing
15. pigs
specials
hunting- a necessity in the beginning
goose ponds- are good until you need wells
forgables- run out too quickly in one place

please correct my list, if I'm wrong but I see the potato at the bottom! While we are in the industrial age! their are some simple methods to make them better in my opinion.

first make the planting proses easier- instead of waiting for the potato to grow to put another layer of soil, how about you dig out the deep tilled soil into a soil dich where you plant the potato tuber, water and right after put on the soil, so you don't have to wait for the thing to fully grow before placing the next layer.

secondly- allow them to be eaten raw, or smash them in a pot to get a'pot of mashed potatoes. If we ever gain access to frying we will hit the mother load! we could make frice, chips, and fried potatoes, they test great! which these new options which might not be fulfilling could easily increase the yum multiplier, of kids with limited food!

third of all- make them easy to store sure we have baskets but nothing beets the potato sack, it could be made with combing to baskets, and then blam stuff as many potatoes to your hearts desire, until you hit the max of ten potatoes, once its full you can't put it in a cart but you can carry it.

Thats how I think we can make potatoes better!

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#2 2018-12-31 22:04:00

Dodge

Re: Farming plants! the poor potato

You can buff potatoes in every fancy way, potato bags, potato chips, fries, raw potato etc

But until it doesnt require one use of an iron shovel per potato (which is a HUGE waste of iron) i will stab every person that i see planting potatoes

For reference with one shovel use you can make one well wich as an average of 68 bowls of water, so for one potato you waste a potential of 68 bowls of water or if you use the shovel to make compost it's 3*7 = 21 soil

So you have the choice between 68 bowls of water 21 soil or one measly potato, iron is way too precious to waste it on potatoes

#3 2018-12-31 23:02:20

Greep

Well, food balance in general is just way off.  Most are only useful for yum, which generally isn't useful outside of a bell town.

But yes, potato takes the cake as the only one that is actively detrimental.

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#4 2019-01-01 01:22:09

you see! potatoes deserve a boost! I hope start thinking about food balances then new ones!

#5 2019-01-01 01:36:25

betame

Dodge wrote:

But until it doesnt require one use of an iron shovel per potato

Icing on the cake is it takes TWO uses of the shovel; one to dig the potato, then another to set it down
(I opened a GitHub issue for the second use tho, because it looks accidental)

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

#6 2019-01-01 06:13:51

Turnipseed

Dodge wrote:

You can buff potatoes in every fancy way, potato bags, potato chips, fries, raw potato etc

But until it doesnt require one use of an iron shovel per potato (which is a HUGE waste of iron) i will stab every person that i see planting potatoes

For reference with one shovel use you can make one well wich as an average of 68 bowls of water, so for one potato you waste a potential of 68 bowls of water or if you use the shovel to make compost it's 3*7 = 21 soil

So you have the choice between 68 bowls of water 21 soil or one measly potato, iron is way too precious to waste it on potatoes

+1 potatos too expensive

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#7 2019-01-01 09:09:50

ryanb
Website

It is interesting a half of a potato is a separate object so it helps with yum bonus, still not worth the shovel uses though.

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#8 2019-01-01 12:19:26

Vexenie

Solution to the potato problem:
The digging a ditch with a shovel or hoe is a grear idea

BUT extraction process could be changed
I usually go to the country side and I take out potatoes like this

I dig away the dirt and take them out by ripping them off the roots with my BARE hands

So this is my idea:
Once the potato is fully grown, you dig away the dirt and take them out with your bare hands

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#9 2019-01-02 04:28:00

Jk Howling

Guess what? Jason promised to do something regarding potatoes when he decided, much against the opinions of those he asked, to utterly destroy the availability of iron.

Guess what he never did? do something about the potatoes.

Thanks for your dastardly lies, Jason.

wWgjFrG.png

-Has ascended to better games-

#10 2019-01-02 08:42:25

Tarr
Banned

Jason has already stated he can't/won't balance everything. If you feel strongly about it I would recommend posting something like "potatoes are terrible." to the github where he actually has to look at it. The very worst he can do is close it and just tell you potatoes are supposed to be bad.

Posts on the forums aren't likely to draw his attention to things like they would to the github. I personally posted the original cow bug and it wasn't fixed until two months later after I both reminded him in the mangoes thread about it and posted the issue to github. Even by getting him to fix this bug he enabled another cow bug by not adding a transition once dry cows run out of uses (it's supposed to revert to normal but instead becomes completely uninteractable.)

TL;DR post things to the github - https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues and not to the forums.

fug it’s Tarr.

#11 2019-01-02 18:50:22

golmock

I hope to have a variety of recipes to use potatoes, pork and goose meat.
Why can't we make ham or hamburger yet? We have a cow. Where's the steak?

!eve painter! You will have a color name.
I can teach you if i'm not busy. just talk to me.

#12 2019-01-02 19:25:29

lowdt

well no town died of potatoes yet... its mostly the "ignorant generation" that doesnt know how importand it is to be a girl or to support the girls.

greetings

#13 2019-01-02 19:57:20

Jk Howling

Opened a github issue on the matter, perhaps we'll see action soon.

Tbh I'd love just a general potato-themed update. We could get a bunch of cool stuff, like:

- A new tool to harvest potatoes instead of shovel [Trowel?] or just using a hoe/shovel once on the mature plant to uncover them, then picking each individual one out by hand.
- Potato Peeler
- Potato Masher
- Mashed Potatoes
- Buttered Masted Potatoes
- Potato patties or hash browns [maybe fried on a hot flat rock, like omelettes?]
- Potato Soup of some sorts [milk, potatoes, carrots or smth like that?]

-Has ascended to better games-

#14 2019-01-02 21:50:19

Starknight_One

Jk Howling wrote:

Opened a github issue on the matter, perhaps we'll see action soon.

Tbh I'd love just a general potato-themed update. We could get a bunch of cool stuff, like:

- A new tool to harvest potatoes instead of shovel [Trowel?] or just using a hoe/shovel once on the mature plant to uncover them, then picking each individual one out by hand.

A spading fork would be ideal for digging up potatoes, I'd think... and then looking it up, it's a very similar tool called (naturally) a potato fork. In the interests of having a general solution over a specific where possible, let's just call it a spading fork. It could be also be used for other digging tasks involving turning over soil, such as refreshing a fertile soil pit or digging up adobe stumps and/or clay, but not for digging out rocks or digging pits or fence holes.

- Potato Peeler
- Potato Masher

Knife and Stomper, tools we already have. (Fewer recipes to add means more likelihood of seeing something like this...)

- Mashed Potatoes
- Buttered Masted Potatoes
- Potato patties or hash browns [maybe fried on a hot flat rock, like omelettes?]
- Potato Soup of some sorts [milk, potatoes, carrots or smth like that?]

Mashed spuds... hmm. Place 3 peeled potatoes in a bowl, add water, set on coals to boil. When finished, smash with rock to make Mashed Potatoes (12 servings of 2 pips {+2 bonus for 4}). Add butter... hmm. Currently only butter recipe is using knife... maybe use 2-4 uses from the bowl to improve MPs to a base value of, say, 4?

Potato patties could be as simple as frying potato pancakes on a hot flat rock... two peeled potatoes in a bowl, add an egg, mash or chop (as with other baking) and pour onto hot rock. 4 uses, each makes a Potato Frittata (9 pips +2 bonus for 11).

And a good old-fashioned chowder sure would hit the spot! Take 4 potatoes, place in a bowl, chop with stone or knife. Dump into crock. Add a bowl of corn kernels and a bowl of water, then put on coals. This becomes your Cooking Chowder Base. Then mix a bowl of flour into a bowl of milk to make a Bowl of Cream Mix, and pour it into the Cooking Chowder Base to make Cooking Chowder. Allow it to finish for a lovely Potato Corn Chowder (8 bowls/crock, at 8 pips each +2 bonus to make 10.)

#15 2019-01-03 02:56:28

I hope we get a potato update, or even a food balancing update for what they are in game is very different from real life!

Some things make sense that even in an advanced village, their isn't much fish for fish is a delicacy and inmost parts of the world isn't eaten daily or how their are lots of grain based objects because in the reality we eat a lot of grain based produce! But some things don't make sense for how we can't eat pork? and how potatoes are just a death trap!

This post got a surprising alot of attention!

#16 2019-01-03 15:53:45

Booklat1

potato update and general food balance updates are overdue I think. People still rely too much on berries and some of the most cost-efficient food is just hard to produce/in a tech tree of its own.

Potatoes are specially flawed as they are not needed in any process like composting or feeding animal, not even capable of being cooked with other foods for extra value AND it's a terrible waste of iron due to it's digging mechanic.

The way I see it it's indeed probably best to add another gardening tool to dig potatoes but nerfing basic crops as foods should also be considered for making other crops more appealing.

I also see french fries with bacon being a nice addition, pork also needs more uses.

Board footer