One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-30 11:48:46

Grim_Arbiter

Slow times at night and what we can do.

Hey all new poster here (Though lurking since getting game after steam release)

I mainly get to play this game at a time when the servers are experiencing the lowest activity. Usually 2 or 3 AM Pacific. The only problem I had grief with so far was when server two and three would fight each other for players, but I understand that it was due to the time I am playing. I know that keeping family lines and any progress through this time of night has brought a pretty big challenge to everyone, especially now that the eve spawn system has been reworked. Spawning into any tech progress at this time of the day now is incredibly rare. Even when YOU start to make progress, it seldom lives a generation or two past you. At this time in the night it is crucial for foundation to be placed for the next lives in the day for SOME kind of tech to develop.. I honestly wish i could play in the day to see it again. 

What can be done at these hours?

The main thing I would think is focusing on training new players. New players at his time WILL sink you so you cant just brush them aside like you can in the day. Maybe trying to tell people to build and play less ambitiously and more economically in slow server time?

Any thoughts?

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#2 2018-12-30 11:54:35

Greep

Re: Slow times at night and what we can do.

If you want to play in a big city at night, I've always got one for ya on the one city server big_smile  It is, however, utterly dead at night hours, so it's mainly solo play, occasionally I derp around there tho.

On a main server just /die until you end up in a city if you can.  Villages simply do not survive night time with the new changes to birthing.

Last edited by Greep (2018-12-30 11:55:40)

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#3 2018-12-30 12:01:38

thundersen

You can try setting your custom server to server 1 in the game settings (server1.onehouronelife.com). It's usually the most populated at that time.

Good luck!

#4 2018-12-30 12:04:46

lionon

Greep wrote:

On a main server just /die until you end up in a city if you can.  Villages simply do not survive night time with the new changes to birthing.

I've tried that too at the slack hour, it's just, there sometimes isn't a city to /die to. I didn't feel like yet another eve camp that likely fails soon, so I /die'd a handful of times to eves, only to be spawned as eve myself from there on...

#5 2018-12-30 12:07:35

Greep

Yeah, as thundersen says, server 1 does help a lot in that case.

My thought is maybe if you keep suiciding as eve you've got a decent chance to end in a city right?  Like if you're /dieing maybe it's during a time where there's a birth cooldown going on.  Although yeah all the towns will be wiped after a certain point.

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#6 2018-12-30 12:12:51

lionon

Greep wrote:

My thought is maybe if you keep suiciding as eve you've got a decent chance to end in a city right?  Like if you're /dieing maybe it's during a time where there's a birth cooldown going on.  Although yeah all the towns will be wiped after a certain point.

I'm not sure without looking at the code, but my impression is, you become eve when there isn't a mother to assign you to. So it may be they are all on cool down at first in the city, but likely, if you become eve, there just isn't a larger lineage alive you aren't banned from anyway. PS: You can't /die as eve, you have to suicide.

#7 2018-12-30 12:20:44

Grim_Arbiter

I was going to try your server last night just to see what was up. When my friend ends up getting this game I might have him go there to teach. I will name any and every child there Greep or whatever it corrects to.

Well they get just far enough to where i do not know why they fail.

Going by yesterdays numbers (all different towns)
End generation reached for line
First life end: 9
played at gen 7
Second life end:13
played at gen 8
Third life end: 16
played at gen 6

Not only did i live till old age in every town, They were not ever short on supply or food and even overloaded with all the basics. Not in jungles either. Baby suicides and even greifers at this time are actually surprisingly down because every town is pretty much the same at this point.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

Board footer