One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-12 22:04:00

Potjeh

PSA - if you enroll in school, stay in school

So I just spent my lifetime trying to teach three separate kids baking, all of them said they want to learn and then bailed mid lesson. It's fine if you need to grab a bite, but come back to the tutoring area and continue. I was just standing there like an idiot wasting my life on waiting for them to come back. I could've been doing productive things, instead in the end the only thing I accomplished is baking half a dozen pies and making an axe, and I could've done a lot more if I didn't spend time trying to teach. So please, if you're not going to stick through the entire lesson, don't say that you want to learn. If people keep doing this I'll have to stop trying to teach.

#2 2018-03-12 22:09:31

Zeromus

Re: PSA - if you enroll in school, stay in school

Thank you for this post.  =-)  If holding class is too difficult, then perhaps private lessons is the way to go.  Please don't quit, though.  The world is always in need of good teachers.

#3 2018-03-12 22:33:57

ajdrex

Agreed, that is annoying that that happened to you. But don't stop teaching, those of us who are eager to learn rely on people like you. So thank you, keep passing on your knowledge, even if you choose to do so with a little more caution.

#4 2018-03-12 23:19:32

Hans Lemurson

Kids these days, eh?  Just don't got no respect for their elders.

#5 2018-03-12 23:29:02

Potjeh

That's the thing, I tried teaching one kid at a time. Those three were sequential, that's why I burned my whole productive life on them. I guess there's a bit of a gap in understanding of expectations, and I kinda understand it because it's hard to explain it all with the in game chat. But my idea is that I take an apprentice who sticks close to me until he learns the craft, and then goes on to actually do that for the village for the rest of his life. And hopefully takes on an apprentice of his own to take over the shop when he passes. I think this master-apprentice relationship is the only way for long term stability of a community. The problem is, I can't explain all this in game, it's hard enough explaining the craft I'm teaching and I can actually demonstrate that. We need to somehow develop this apprenticeship culture in the game, but I'm not sure how, especially since the apprentices would by definition be newbies and unaware of lots of the game's culture.

On a sidenote, I find tutoring a lot easier if I'm born a man so I can focus on one child, and if the apprentice is a man too so he doesn't get distracted by popping out babies mid lesson. So there's an argument for usefulness of males, I guess.

Also, I wish there was a way to tell who's who, kinda hard to teach when you can't keep track of whom you're teaching.

#6 2018-03-12 23:52:00

Portager

Potjeh wrote:

Also, I wish there was a way to tell who's who, kinda hard to teach when you can't keep track of whom you're teaching.

This is why I hope we will get some new character designs soon. smile

#7 2018-03-13 07:54:40

ajdrex

Potjeh wrote:

That's the thing, I tried teaching one kid at a time. Those three were sequential, that's why I burned my whole productive life on them. I guess there's a bit of a gap in understanding of expectations, and I kinda understand it because it's hard to explain it all with the in game chat. But my idea is that I take an apprentice who sticks close to me until he learns the craft, and then goes on to actually do that for the village for the rest of his life. And hopefully takes on an apprentice of his own to take over the shop when he passes. I think this master-apprentice relationship is the only way for long term stability of a community. The problem is, I can't explain all this in game, it's hard enough explaining the craft I'm teaching and I can actually demonstrate that. We need to somehow develop this apprenticeship culture in the game, but I'm not sure how, especially since the apprentices would by definition be newbies and unaware of lots of the game's culture.

I totally agree with and understand you here. I think that the apprenticeship culture should be encouraged and developed. For some people, I think they only need to learn of it. Unfortunately, though, there will always be people who just have different levels of involvement with the game. Those who immerse in the role play opportunities present within the game, such as the idea of families and interpersonal relationships (i.e. master and apprentice, mother and child, leader and follower, etc.) will quickly adopt the master-apprentice style of gameplay. But people who choose to play the game more casually without investing so much in the social aspect of the game probably won't get involved even if they know other people play that way.

Board footer