One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-24 05:33:07

denriguez

Epic story: saving Bear Town

Wildest life I've had in a while.

tl;dr: I rode nearly 30 years to save my town, and I found a village with girls. Who were they? Did they make it?

I was born Howard Moon. My mother, Janice, was in the middle of gathering materials to make arrows. She was determined to defend our vast city, which was being ransacked by bears.

This city was the most orderly I've ever seen--obviously the work of a single person over many Eve spawns, but impressive nonetheless. While I didn't spend much time there, I do recall there being a Great Library, filled with chests of notes, and a pen that contained two of the angriest bears I've ever seen. Roads headed in every direction, horse carts and diesel pumps. Huge rooms carpeted entirely in bear skins. One could live quite comfortably in a city like this.

That is, of course, if it wasn't for the bears.

Like I said, my mother bravely raised me while making arrows to kill the total of four bears in our city--two of which were running wild. I watched her deftly kill the two wild bears, then another which she released from the pen. Not long after she released the final bear from the pen, she blinked, and the bear's mighty claws slashed her belly. We ran to the medic station, but it was too far, and we were too late.

To avenge her, I went after the bear myself, only to be slashed in my own belly. This time, my cousins were able to patch me up just in time--one more second and I was a goner. I went after the cursed bear again, and this time my third arrow found his heart. I laid his hide in the Great Library.

After my mother died, my cousin Mikeyla was the last fertile woman left in our city. She was unable to raise any girls, and it was clear our city would soon die out and be lost to the sands of time.

Before my mother died, a bell tower had been struck somewhere north, 9k away. I knew I would be unable to ride that far in my remaining time, but I hoped I would encounter others in that direction. I gathered some food, set a home marker, mounted a horse cart, and sped away, headed due north. I passed three different Eve camps--one quite extensive, with a large berry farm in the jungle--but not a soul alive. I kept going. Here and there I'd find a pile of bones, or a branch on the ground, or a sharp stone, but still, no one. Once my cart broke, sending my belongings flying, and I nearly landed on a rattlesnake. I thought about my mother harvesting milkweed for arrows as I gathered milkweed for a rope. I thought about how long it had been since I'd seen another person.

Old age was approaching, and I was beginning to despair.

Then, I saw it. Just out of the corner of my eye, a pile of bones, and then the unmistakable figure of a young man running through the woods. I rode up beside him and into his growing city. As others gathered around, I told the story of my journey, and of my mother, and of our city. I was now an old man, and my home marker told me I had ridden 6.1k. One brave young girl wasted no time in saddling up my horse and riding off into the unknown.

I did not think to get the name of the people who so generously took me in for my last years, so there is no way for me to know if the young girl survived her journey and repopulated Bear Town. I hope she did.

I hope I made you proud, mother.

Last edited by denriguez (2018-12-24 05:34:38)

#2 2018-12-24 11:57:17

Sylverone

Re: Epic story: saving Bear Town

Cool, thanks for sharing!

Board footer