One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-16 13:33:02

Crumpaloo

Infant Mortality, Nurseries, and Newbies (TIPS)

So i looked at my family tree the other day and found out that not 5 minutes after my babys got hair and ran off, they got either:

A: Killed by a Mosquito

B: Starved to Death

C: Killed by rattle Snake Bite

How can we fix this? Simple: take care of a noob and teach him how to help you with what you are doing, then, when he/she gets into their teens, tell them to do a task IN THE VILLAGE that you know shouldnt be too hard to do, and wont hurt other villagers. This doesn't require any planning like a discussion i heard about planned parents taking care of their youth, i mean sure it would be nice if people would cooperate at that level, but those ideas are far and few between from working off the fourms.

The point is that if you are using a noob as a tool to help what YOU are doing, not only is that making the noob FEEL more useful, but hes alot safer, is learning what you are doing, AND is actually as it turns out MORE useful then if you just said "gl bby" after they turn 3. Also, you dont gotta walk the noob on a leash until they are in they're forties, just wait until they are like around ten and say something like "ok thanks for your help now can you go do xyz" this xyz could be as simple as farming, making kindling, or any task that requires little learning on the noobs part, but the idea is that it is:

1. Inside the village so they dont accidentally die by animal/starvation

2. Can be done WITHOUT you so that way you dont gotta take care of them anymore (if they dont know how, teach them then leave them to get it done)

3. Safe, that means no bear hunting, bread slicing, or iron collecting, these people barley have 5 hours on the game and people are leaving them to do these things

Now for the second thing id like to talk about, which is nursuries. Having a well built place to keep bbys well fed and warm is crucial. It allows the mothers that are busy doing things to simply drop their child off at the nursury and continue helping the village without being anchored with the role of feeding their kid every 15 seconds.Couple things to keep in mind when making a nursery:

1. Keep the nursery on the edge of a desert to have a better temperature

2. Make sure someones gonna be there when it comes down to taking care of the children, fertile women are ideal but men can substitute this role by directly feeding them if you have the food

3. Keep one or two wooden boxes filled with pies and firewood, pies for the moms taking care of the kids, and firewood to keep them warm, maybe even some clothes if you have spare for the newborns

4. If you really wanna make it a building make sure there are two exit points to make greifers have a hard time of putting locks on both the doors

Once the kids are of age ask them if they are new or not, if they arent new, just let them on their merry way, but if they ARE new, refer to what i said in the first bit of this post.

Last edited by Crumpaloo (2018-12-16 13:53:35)

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#2 2018-12-16 14:21:13

lionon

Re: Infant Mortality, Nurseries, and Newbies (TIPS)

The main issue I have I turned to asking kids if they are new. They say "N". I ask them if there is anything they want to learn, they say "N". Then they run off at the age of 4 and forget to put food in their mouth.

#3 2018-12-16 14:31:03

Crumpaloo

In that case id just ask them to help you with whatever you were doing before you had the kid, regardless of whether they SAY they are new or not, then if they actually DO turn out to be a vet, thank them for their help and go your separate ways, but if they ARE new and saying they arent, asking for their help anyways will allow you to keep track of their habits and what they are doing. I.e, are they eating food? are they doing tasks to help you that a new player would have trouble knowing from the get go. By doing this you can find out if they are telling the truth and still be able to feed them if they are being careless.

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#4 2018-12-16 16:05:59

Sylverone

Yeah, I'm new-ish and have been puzzling over the clearly common problem of girls dying off. It seems important maybe to emphasize that each girl is potentially crucial to the village, so they know that keeping theirself and their children alive are more important than anything else, barring situational emergencies. Obviously some productivity is ideal, but if the choice is that or village death.

As it is I only mostly hear about it when a line is down to one girl. Some players might mention it if they specifically want *their* children to have a line, but this is less common as far as I've seen. It seems to me like an interesting scenario might involve having one or more mothers managing the berry farm while also serving as an information hub. If at least some of the other villagers reported in occasionally about the state of things (especially locations of resources and new village features - and any signs of griefing so they can survive), then the farm or nursery could become a doubly useful thing. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Of course I realize discrepancy in skills, smarts, and intent might make this difficult or nigh impossible to pull off and maintain. Ideally you would have a message each generation received, maybe elders would be tasked with "reading out" a basket or two of notes to the babies at the farm. After all, important info gets lost in "verbal" telephone games. Just fun ideas to think about, I don't know if game society is stable enough to support that sort of thing.

#5 2018-12-16 16:15:08

betame

TY for this thread. I think its the most applicable solution.

After turning my attention to being a good mom, I did the same as lionon, and got the same results.
I imagine the OPs method working in villages. I've reminded many farm-learners to eat! We've been in their shoes. Guide them down a learning path thats safe, and they'll live to repay our efforts. If not in this life, the next.

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

#6 2018-12-16 16:57:32

Crumpaloo

Sylverone wrote:

Yeah, I'm new-ish and have been puzzling over the clearly common problem of girls dying off. It seems important maybe to emphasize that each girl is potentially crucial to the village, so they know that keeping theirself and their children alive are more important than anything else, barring situational emergencies. Obviously some productivity is ideal, but if the choice is that or village death.

As it is I only mostly hear about it when a line is down to one girl. Some players might mention it if they specifically want *their* children to have a line, but this is less common as far as I've seen. It seems to me like an interesting scenario might involve having one or more mothers managing the berry farm while also serving as an information hub. If at least some of the other villagers reported in occasionally about the state of things (especially locations of resources and new village features - and any signs of griefing so they can survive), then the farm or nursery could become a doubly useful thing. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Of course I realize discrepancy in skills, smarts, and intent might make this difficult or nigh impossible to pull off and maintain. Ideally you would have a message each generation received, maybe elders would be tasked with "reading out" a basket or two of notes to the babies at the farm. After all, important info gets lost in "verbal" telephone games. Just fun ideas to think about, I don't know if game society is stable enough to support that sort of thing.

What i think it all is gonna come down to is mothers looking after their kids. I had twins, made both of them coats and got them backpacks, fed them well, and in general just made their lives alot easier and both of them lived to be 60. I think if you put a effort into taking care of your kids and getting them things, that will create a incentive for them not to do bs things since they know you invested time into them. So maybe just have 1-3 kids, and spend your time to really take care of them.

#7 2018-12-16 18:35:23

sinfulcliche

This! Once I saw this naked young teenage boy, obviously new since he was picking up things and running around aimlessly. My mom didn't trust him, and she hid the knife from him because she suspected he was a griefer.
I offered to teach him how to tend sheep, and it gradually turned to other things (farming berries and carrots, wheat, compost)
At the end of our lives he explained to me that he was totally new, this was only his 5th life, and I was the first person willing to teach him or give him any direction.
I'm not saying you should spend your entire life teaching others, either.  But giving your new children a bit of knowledge could mean life or death for your village.

#8 2018-12-16 18:44:12

lionon

sinfulcliche wrote:

I'm not saying you should spend your entire life teaching others, either.

I forgot who recently posted this, but I'm citing it anonymously with different words. If your play is about advancing towns, this in the long term the best you can do. The pen needs fixing? You thing the town needs that pump smithed? Everything transitory and short-lived, probably in 24 hours the lineage is wiped anyway, maybe a revive of the town, but will fall again, but that knowledge, that sticks for a long time (at least as long that player doesn't give up on the game)

#9 2018-12-16 19:12:27

Dodge

Do you learn better if someone tells you not to touch the hot stove or if you burn your fingers touching it?

Also you will end up touching it at some point even if told not to

Trying to teach every noob everything to do in the game is a waste of time, but if someone asks you how to do something or if someone looks like he's strugling to do a specific task then yes it's a good idea to teach that person

If you try to assign jobs to everyone they will still most of the time do wathever they want to do anyway

They will eventually learn how to survive but there will always be noobs at least i hope so otherwise it means the game is dying, but the new players from steam are starting to get better so we will probably start to see bigger and longer lasting cities

#10 2018-12-16 20:29:59

sinfulcliche

lionon wrote:

I forgot who recently posted this, but I'm citing it anonymously with different words. If your play is about advancing towns, this in the long term the best you can do. The pen needs fixing? You thing the town needs that pump smithed? Everything transitory and short-lived, probably in 24 hours the lineage is wiped anyway, maybe a revive of the town, but will fall again, but that knowledge, that sticks for a long time (at least as long that player doesn't give up on the game)

Exactly. The point of the game is to just play a small part in a short time, and hopefully the next generation knows enough to keep it going. I feel like some players loose sight of this and think only of themselves when playing. In my opinion working silently and refusing help from others is one of the reasons why big cities die. It's when the grumpy old smith dies and nobody can replace him. I personally hate the vendetta against noobs, because in reality they're the game's most important resource. If there were none the game would fade into obscurity.
With the whole "perfect town but kids still run off and die" problem, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Some kids just die for one reason or another.
Personally if I'm born in a town I don't want to be in I won't suicide if I'm a girl. I'll do little jobs, pop out a girl or two, then die. I feel like it's respectful to the mom that gave birth to me in the first place.

#11 2018-12-16 21:04:13

lionon

While I agree I must admit tough, at the same time I fully understand people who don't consider mentoring a fun playing experience for themselves.

If you like mentoring, yes please it's the most awesome thing within the game. If you want to be grumpy old smith, fine too.

I wouldn't blame anybody, that's just likes to some town job and considers it a casual gaming / relaxing experience.

I'm fine with anybody that not about deliberately ruining others fun (a.k.a. "griefing") or deliberately go on      excessively wasting stuff others made for the town community while proving way less themselves.

#12 2018-12-16 22:55:24

Glassius

I've got a deja vu. There are historical eras on forum:
1. Many threads with people complaining about nothing to do in camps. Jason introduced stew and sauerkraut.
2. Many threads about monodiet. Jason introduced potatoes and corn, tacos and burritos.
3. Many threads about griefers destroying villages trough multiple spawns. Jason introduced many strange thing experimenting between his concepts and needs of society. This resulted with donkey town.
4. Many threads complaining about lack of antigrief mechanics, Jason introduced decay and medicine.
5. Many threads about lack of technological advancement, Jason introduced industrial era.

Now it seems, we are at era of complaining about lack of communication between noobs and veterans, as keeping village alive is too time-eating activity to leave time for teaching. This is currently not a game about parenthood! My most enjoyable experiences are when I was teaching others smithing and shepharding. I expect more threads to be posted about it and I've got a solution, which would also make buildings more usable.

Day/night cycle! Biomes at days would be warmer as they are currently, making it a time window for work. Nights, with much colder biomes, would enforce players to build shelters in which they may cook, eat and communicate. Simply, time for practising parenthood.

I will make a comprehensive suggestion about it. Please, consider it.

Last edited by Glassius (2018-12-16 22:56:10)

#13 2018-12-16 23:25:46

Crumpaloo

Glassius wrote:

I've got a deja vu. There are historical eras on forum:
1. Many threads with people complaining about nothing to do in camps. Jason introduced stew and sauerkraut.
2. Many threads about monodiet. Jason introduced potatoes and corn, tacos and burritos.
3. Many threads about griefers destroying villages trough multiple spawns. Jason introduced many strange thing experimenting between his concepts and needs of society. This resulted with donkey town.
4. Many threads complaining about lack of antigrief mechanics, Jason introduced decay and medicine.
5. Many threads about lack of technological advancement, Jason introduced industrial era.

Now it seems, we are at era of complaining about lack of communication between noobs and veterans, as keeping village alive is too time-eating activity to leave time for teaching. This is currently not a game about parenthood! My most enjoyable experiences are when I was teaching others smithing and shepharding. I expect more threads to be posted about it and I've got a solution, which would also make buildings more usable.

Day/night cycle! Biomes at days would be warmer as they are currently, making it a time window for work. Nights, with much colder biomes, would enforce players to build shelters in which they may cook, eat and communicate. Simply, time for practising parenthood.

I will make a comprehensive suggestion about it. Please, consider it.

IF day and night cycles existed it would need to be alot shorter then a day cycle, so for example 5 min night cycle, 10 min day cycle. Obviously its not realistic that they wouldn't be the same time but thats gonna be needed, as having a 10 min night and 10 min day would be too much for players whos jobs are outdoor activites, sure a smith and cook might enjoy the company but after that smith runs outta ingots, someones gonna have to go out and get more, and waiting 10 min for a night cycle to come back up is literally 1/6th of your play time, or if you add the total night cycle time, thats HALF your life, doing nothing but talking to people and waiting to get on with your life. So if day and night cycles are gonna be added in, nights gotta be shorter then daytime. Like the idea, thats just my 2 cents.

#14 2018-12-17 01:12:44

Greep

lionon wrote:

The main issue I have I turned to asking kids if they are new. They say "N". I ask them if there is anything they want to learn, they say "N". Then they run off at the age of 4 and forget to put food in their mouth.

"Can you smith?" tends to be a better question I've found for this purpose.  It's an irrelevant question, but gets better results in determing newbieness.  xD

Last edited by Greep (2018-12-17 01:13:36)

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#15 2018-12-17 02:26:15

Glassius

There are basically 2 things to consider: diurnal temperature variation and amount of light available. My proposition: 3 minutes day, 0.5 minute dusk, 2 minutes night, 0.5 minute dawn. With temp food in halfway from the worst to the best you got an adult to survive 4 minutes with full hunger gauge at beginning. Kids with 4 bars would survive on it from 10 to 80 seconds, depending on temperature. Adding some safe margin, it means newborns would need to be fed once-twice per night, and adults after breakfast may survive up to the evening without food.

1. Diurnal temperature variation:
t_diurnal4.free.gif
Which means, temperature can be rising between 6am to 4pm and decreasing the rest of day with a constant rate. This would make a time window: 11am - 11pm the above average temperature work period. This physics also explains, why people evolutionary developed preference for just after dusk activity rather than right before dawn.

Such an implementation may be neutral to total calories consumption if people stay outside the whole day and night, thanks to linear dependancies. But the usage of shelters, bed, tents or bedrolls for the around dawn time would help to keep temperature perfect, keep people together and make chit chats. This would mean a less effort on farming with increased time for talking. And even during night, very determined player can keep playing. Full rabbit/wool outfit would be recommended for sure.

2. Available light.
AcdqMMJ.png
Thanks to twilight, we can enjoy sunlight for extra 2h24m every day, though much weaker. This would make 50% of time a daytime, 10% a twilight and only 40% a night. And even then, if dusk is at 6pm and temperature is decreasing from 4pm to 6am, you've got still around 40% time of night start when temperature is over average.

Personally, I would enjoy if night would mean only a small circles with our char or nearby light sources be visible. The rest should be covered with black smile

What does it mean? People would like to stay in building early morning, this is time to make food and consume before rest of the day. After dusk and twilight, they can still be active, at temperature above average, although only near light sources. Such a concept would introduce an extra cycle, more fun crafting (beds, bedrolls, tents for explorers) and increase ingame communicating, as staying still and talking sometimes would be a new meta.

#16 2018-12-17 03:03:49

Crumpaloo

Glassius wrote:

There are basically 2 things to consider: diurnal temperature variation and amount of light available. My proposition: 3 minutes day, 0.5 minute dusk, 2 minutes night, 0.5 minute dawn. With temp food in halfway from the worst to the best you got an adult to survive 4 minutes with full hunger gauge at beginning. Kids with 4 bars would survive on it from 10 to 80 seconds, depending on temperature. Adding some safe margin, it means newborns would need to be fed once-twice per night, and adults after breakfast may survive up to the evening without food.

1. Diurnal temperature variation:
http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu/classes/met13 … 4.free.gif
Which means, temperature can be rising between 6am to 4pm and decreasing the rest of day with a constant rate. This would make a time window: 11am - 11pm the above average temperature work period. This physics also explains, why people evolutionary developed preference for just after dusk activity rather than right before dawn.

Such an implementation may be neutral to total calories consumption if people stay outside the whole day and night, thanks to linear dependancies. But the usage of shelters, bed, tents or bedrolls for the around dawn time would help to keep temperature perfect, keep people together and make chit chats. This would mean a less effort on farming with increased time for talking. And even during night, very determined player can keep playing. Full rabbit/wool outfit would be recommended for sure.

2. Available light.
https://i.imgur.com/AcdqMMJ.png
Thanks to twilight, we can enjoy sunlight for extra 2h24m every day, though much weaker. This would make 50% of time a daytime, 10% a twilight and only 40% a night. And even then, if dusk is at 6pm and temperature is decreasing from 4pm to 6am, you've got still around 40% time of night start when temperature is over average.

Personally, I would enjoy if night would mean only a small circles with our char or nearby light sources be visible. The rest should be covered with black smile

What does it mean? People would like to stay in building early morning, this is time to make food and consume before rest of the day. After dusk and twilight, they can still be active, at temperature above average, although only near light sources. Such a concept would introduce an extra cycle, more fun crafting (beds, bedrolls, tents for explorers) and increase ingame communicating, as staying still and talking sometimes would be a new meta.

If this were all implemented the way you are saying, i definitly think it would slow down gameplay, and maybe then people would talk to eachother more, only problem is that also slows the rate at which towns and villages get more advanced. Say i wanted to have a RP chat with jimmy my 4th cousin 3 times removed, if i spend 5 min chatting with him im wasting 5 min i could be doing anything more productive, i guess if hes a noob and im telling him how to do stuff thats helpful, but directly productive in comparison to farming butt logs is debatable, although i always aplaud the teaching of nooblets.

#17 2018-12-17 05:54:47

lionon

Day/night cycle wouldn't fit the game timing mechanics at all.

Game of Thrones Winter Summer cycle would fit (many years summer, many years winter).

However as I get it, This would be a major engine change...

#18 2018-12-17 09:36:42

Sylverone

I just want to mention how cool this discussion is. It speaks a lot for the uniqueness of the game, how well it creates a microcosm of real life in some ways. And I find it absolutely remarkable how cooperative this game is. After give or take twenty lives so far (including early deaths), I can't say I've experienced or even witnessed much ill will or belligerence. Could be luck of course, but the towns I've seen chugging away suggest it's not all luck.

One line got taken out by a griefer (last words, "what have I done" lol, at least they roleplayed it), partly because I was too nervous about taking quick action (was gifted a knife by mother earlier) without knowing what was going on for sure. I should have acted when my family first said "kill him", but at least it was a learning experience. Probably better than being the stab happy type of noob, though I feel for the other players I let down. I'll crank up the "stab happy" gauge by one notch. I recall the griefer's name was Bambi, any idea how I could find that line again to get to my family tree?

On the counterbalance to that, one of my mothers (Adorable Passante) became barren with no surviving daughters. We'd been living at this abandoned village she found, and population dwindled to just her, me, and one other son. While we were talking, she tried to do something and accidentally stabbed the other son. We were all shocked, and after clearing the confusion it turned into a touching moment of farewell. After he died, she demanded that I kill her that she may atone, but bid me travel far north, to try and rejoin the rest of the family. I gathered a cart and wandered the wilderness the rest of my days before starving, but the only sign I ever found of another's presence was a single cut reed patch. My only regret is, for roleplay I wish I had said "Forgive me mother, I just can't do it!", dropped the knife and ran off to the north anyway, then finished it off with some lasts words referencing my search for the other family.

Board footer