One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-13 22:25:12

Solbusaur

I got shot for making a bucket!

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=2374234

Karol, what were you doing? You saw the berry field! You saw how we had no water for about 15 years! Why did you waste milkweed on getting a horse, we needed a bucket more than anything!

All our wells were pumps and deep wells, and the town foolishly relied on one bucket. Some griefer was smart enough to steal that bucket and took it where no one would find it. Then it was a race against the famine. That's why I took the lasso from your horse and cut it into pieces so we wouldn't die an almost inevitable doom.
And then you shot me for it.
WHHYYYYYY?!?!

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#2 2018-12-17 10:53:06

Carrot-Seedling

Re: I got shot for making a bucket!

I feel your pain. I had two lives in a ROW where I got killed trying to make paper.

The first one, an Eve had spawned onto a big civ and I helped regenerate the everything. I wanted to write the name of Eve down and where she was buried, so I found a few bowls of wood shaves around and started cooking. Then my sister who hates everyone in the civ comes along and stabs me because "u use my wod how dare u u monster," even though I created the embers myself. Eve stabbed my killer, but she was kinda old. I hope she made it.

The second life people thought I was going to grief because I had the only bag (which I just created) and put a knife in it. I was keeping that civ afloat, but I made three zillion pies by then and I wanted to take a breather. I was going to make paper, but never even got close because I died on the run from angry noobs with weapons. The town was made up of a female me, a catatonic lady, and three men who couldn't farm anything. I was going to shave three shafts and then never touch the knife again. Geez lewheez. I never tried to make paper again after that...

Perhaps it was just us, but man, these people should really take a chill pill. Or maybe we should add them to the game! tongue
(That was a disorgamanized post. TLDR, people need to stop stabbing for no reason sad)

You have now laid eyes upon the one and only Raidan Allcock on the leaderboards. tongue

#3 2018-12-17 16:28:13

Solbusaur

That hurt to read. Especially the second one.

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#4 2018-12-17 23:21:18

Greep

Carrot-Seedling wrote:

I feel your pain. I had two lives in a ROW where I got killed trying to make paper.

The first one, an Eve had spawned onto a big civ and I helped regenerate the everything. I wanted to write the name of Eve down and where she was buried, so I found a few bowls of wood shaves around and started cooking. Then my sister who hates everyone in the civ comes along and stabs me because "u use my wod how dare u u monster," even though I created the embers myself. Eve stabbed my killer, but she was kinda old. I hope she made it.

The second life people thought I was going to grief because I had the only bag (which I just created) and put a knife in it. I was keeping that civ afloat, but I made three zillion pies by then and I wanted to take a breather. I was going to make paper, but never even got close because I died on the run from angry noobs with weapons. The town was made up of a female me, a catatonic lady, and three men who couldn't farm anything. I was going to shave three shafts and then never touch the knife again. Geez lewheez. I never tried to make paper again after that...

Perhaps it was just us, but man, these people should really take a chill pill. Or maybe we should add them to the game! tongue
(That was a disorgamanized post. TLDR, people need to stop stabbing for no reason sad)

Well to be fair, long straight shafts may as well be gold bars in some towns.  Probably would've joined the lynch mob unless you have a maple farm xD

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#5 2018-12-18 15:32:09

Carrot-Seedling

There was a maple farm in the first life and 15 maples within ten tiles of town in the second. Why the lynch mob?

Last edited by Carrot-Seedling (2018-12-18 16:22:43)

You have now laid eyes upon the one and only Raidan Allcock on the leaderboards. tongue

#6 2018-12-18 19:33:51

mrslax

I get killed by noobs or griffers about 15% of the time. Like last night it happened twice

started in 3rd gen from an eve start. Was the only surviving girl. worked hard and got the sheep, pie making, and farming and composting up and running.  First 3 kids just ran off and killed them self. Then the last two were girls.  both made it to 4 years old.  Then one went missing and died then the last girl grab a bow and just started killing everyone. and that was it she killed everyone and staved to death. I was the last one and was too old to have any more kids. all that hard work for that one person to kill it all.

for the other life

Born into a big town that was dying due to no compost. I single handed started the compost cycle. Then some kid yelled at me for fill a bowl with barres, he yelled at everyone for it. I try to tell him it was for compost and sheep. Then he curses me and ran off. later someone put locks on the food chests, So I whet hunting, found a dead guy with a backpack and a bear. grab the pack and found the keys. cool guy die and was able to get to the food again. Thinking the greffer was dead and the food unlocked got back to work. Then someone just came up to me in the sheep and shoot me in the face.

Some people just want to watch the town burn.

in the other life I saw the bell town was only about 5K away to the SW so the town was going well and as a guy, I wasn't needed. so I made a saddle out of the sheepskin on my back and went for it.  was planning on making a lasso on the way but found a bigger dead town about 5 biomes away. Got a horse and keep on going.  by the time I made it to the bell town, I pass 5 or 6 big dead towns. no one in them at all. one died due to no sheep and no compost, but the others well I have no idea. Everything was there, lots of pies tools and berries and compost. it just looked like a zombie town or the griffer won somehow?

#7 2018-12-18 19:56:03

CrazyEddie

mrslax wrote:

by the time I made it to the bell town, I pass 5 or 6 big dead towns. no one in them at all. one died due to no sheep and no compost, but the others well I have no idea. Everything was there, lots of pies tools and berries and compost. it just looked like a zombie town or the griffer won somehow?

When people start logging off and going to bed, the game population falls, and sometimes one or two of the servers are deactivated. When that happens, first all new births stop, and then all the towns die, no matter how well they were doing at the time.

Later, the server gets reactivated, and all those dead towns are still there waiting for people to discover them.

Maybe that's what happened here.

#8 2018-12-18 22:06:35

Greep

Carrot-Seedling wrote:

There was a maple farm in the first life and 15 maples within ten tiles of town in the second. Why the lynch mob?

It really is the low text limit I think.  There just isn't enough text or time to have a civil discussion when you disagree with someone.  For instance, I just recently had to shoot someone over an argument.  They were seriously trying to get me to stop picking carrot seeds because it was clutter.  If you have any experience, you know you quite simply never have enough carrot seeds, no buts, full stop.  I tell her I'm done discussing and she, just, will, not, shut up.  Seriously.  But I'm 20.  I can't explain.  I just tell her to stop bothering me about 5 times, I even tell her I'll get baskets and put them slightly out of town if she want.  She doesn't shut up.  Holy crap.  So I go forage for some milkweed and shoot her.  Now at least future generations won't be harassed to stop getting seeds.

If I had enough text to explain? I might have convinced her, or at least would have gotten her to shut up and leave.

Last edited by Greep (2018-12-18 22:09:34)

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#9 2018-12-19 03:38:39

CrazyEddie

Carrot seeds are clutter and I will shank your ass over that.

Pick enough for the next crop, keep it out of the way, and then FUCKING STOP.

(* I won't really shank your ass over that, that was hyperbole for rhetorical effect, I don't kill people in game over trivial shit like you do)

#10 2018-12-19 03:48:37

Greep

See, now that took 140 characters, you failed to convince me or provide any reasoning whatsoever, and you were extremely hostile. 

With 30 characters at a time spaced 2 seconds apart, you can't say anything useful.

Last edited by Greep (2018-12-19 03:49:17)

#11 2018-12-19 03:54:13

CrazyEddie

I intended to be hostile and I wasn't trying to convince you. So, thanks!

#12 2018-12-19 03:57:44

Greep

So if you saw that in game happening, what exactly would you do?   You aren't trying to convince people, so wouldn't ask me to stop.  You wouldn't shank me, because you said you wouldn't.  I guess you're supposed to just not interact with other players?  I like pretending the game is multiplayer at least lol.

Last edited by Greep (2018-12-19 03:59:21)

#13 2018-12-20 09:04:47

Jk Howling

Greep wrote:
Carrot-Seedling wrote:

It really is the low text limit I think.  There just isn't enough text or time to have a civil discussion when you disagree with someone.  For instance, I just recently had to shoot someone over an argument.  They were seriously trying to get me to stop picking carrot seeds because it was clutter.  If you have any experience, you know you quite simply never have enough carrot seeds, no buts, full stop.  I tell her I'm done discussing and she, just, will, not, shut up.  Seriously.  But I'm 20.  I can't explain.  I just tell her to stop bothering me about 5 times, I even tell her I'll get baskets and put them slightly out of town if she want.  She doesn't shut up.  Holy crap.  So I go forage for some milkweed and shoot her.  Now at least future generations won't be harassed to stop getting seeds.

If I had enough text to explain? I might have convinced her, or at least would have gotten her to shut up and leave.

Oh, you were the dumbass I was yelling at for interfering with a job I'd been doing for the past thirty minutes. Fantastic.

What you left out: I'd been handling the carrot and crop farm myself for the past 30 minutes in that life. I raised my kids near it and kept the carrots coming, to the point where we even had a bit of an overload, which I happily passed to the bakers.

I'd left the area briefly to go scrounge up a new hoe, as the one I'd been using broke. Got a bit distracted, and eventually came back to 4 rows of carrot seeds- I hadn't even watered the carrots before I left, since we had plenty around at the time.

So I picked two rows, which was plenty given our needs, and left the other two rows to despawn. Then you come busting in, shoving your face where it doesn't belong and trying to do things your way and only yours. I'd been doing my job perfectly fucking fine, thanks, for the last 30 minutes. We didn't have much room and had enough- both carrots and seeds- to last for the time being.

But oh no, you repeatedly claim "WE NEED MORE DON'T LET DESPAWN NEVER ENOUGH WE NEED AT LEAST 400" and the likes, despite me insisting I had it under control, we had plenty, we didn't need to clutter another 14 tiles with singular carrot seeds that weren't going to be used anytime soon.

Carrots are a renewable resource my dude. We already had at least a dozen seeds laying around, between what I'd planted and already picked. It only takes one of those seeds to get another 7. We didn't need even more littering the area. It's a waste of space.

As it is, I let it go the minute you finished and buggered off to go fuck up someone else's job. It was done. Whatever. I took my latest harvest and dropped off several baskets near the sheep pen, then took the rest to the bakers, and helped them work on getting rid of some of the excess rabbit we had laying around.

Lo and behold, fifteen minutes after the incident, you come popping in with a bow to shoot me for "harassment" even though I'd fucking moved on with my life already.

Tell me: who's harassing who?

- The person who's doing their job as they had for most of their life, then gets interrupted by some young upstart demanding things be done differently, and who in the end just lets it go and moves onto a different job?

- The person who rushed into someone's work, started doing things their way despite a stream of protests, then spends the next 15 minutes of their short life crafting a bow to get revenge for the 'injustices' done unto them?

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-12-20 09:06:33)

-Has ascended to better games-

#14 2018-12-20 09:59:11

Greep

Ooo drama.  People just taking this game way too seriously.  I give an anonymous example of someone, and you want to name and pick a fight on a forums over carrot seeds, again with a bunch of insults.  Here's the full part of my story.

Well, I'm not going to defend the reasoning, I feel I was correct for the long term survival of a town since carrots are so easy for a newbie to destroy every seed and then you potentially need horse carts for another crop, not to mention the waste of soil and iron of just letting seeded carrots decay, but I do stand by my actions regarding the insane tirade.  You stood there yelling at me for like, 2 minutes straight over a bunch of carrot seeds, using a bunch of vile words which is what ultimately drove me to deal with you. The last straw was even a basic attempt at compromise, saying I would just put the carrot seeds a little out of town limits so they don't get in anyone's way, was just met with even more crazy rantings.  Apparently you "owned" the town carrots.  Not just the seeds or carrots or tilling, even stuff that was going to go to waste that had no influence on your gameplay, I even bended to your will on the clutter by saying I would move them out of town, which was just met with more ranting and insults.

Finally, after killing you, "asshole" is the response I get, which confirmed I made the right choice.

That said, I would have preferred a civil conversation, which is why I ultimately blame this on the lack of text.  When you can't say half a sentence, nothing meaningful is said and an argument usually just boils down to a power struggle.  Even still, not even a basic level of compromise but just screaming and shouting about how I'm getting in your way (over things, again, that aren't even messing up your work) will get me to kill just about any player.  Considering I've killed like two non griefers in over a hundred games, that's an accomplishment of annoying someone.

Last edited by Greep (2018-12-20 11:16:35)

#15 2018-12-20 13:28:32

CrazyEddie

Greep, you're an idiot and a power-tripper.

Last edited by CrazyEddie (2018-12-20 17:15:36)

#16 2018-12-20 13:33:11

Sasooli

Greep wrote:

Finally, after killing you, "asshole" is the response I get, which confirmed I made the right choice.

Ah yes, anyone who calls their killer an asshole definitely had it coming.

#17 2018-12-20 16:29:54

mrslax

Dudes,

In life, there are 2 ways of learning;  the easy way by reading and listening to others, or the hard way where you make mistakes and can get shot in the face. so let that be a lesson in your next life.

I feel like there is a line about killing people. Griefers or not is what they doing negatively impacting the town. Will they work with people and help out?

If what they are doing is hurting the town, Like really hurting the town, talk to them and other people.  If things don't improve or get worst then shooting them in the face may be the best option for the town.

Some people won't learn without negative reinforcement and getting killed over something is a good reinforce lesson for their next life.

(Just make sure you are right) Plus it's kinda funny telling them why you are killing them for while they are dying. Everyone around that is watching is like Oh that just reason and this guy is not grifing us and yeah he is right that guy that dying did do a dick move.

#18 2018-12-20 16:33:14

lionon

I don't get it, you say you cared for the carrots and all that, yet there were carrots seeding while their seeds would count toward clutter because you had enough seeds already.

Why the eve where they seeding when you cared for carrots?????

#19 2018-12-20 17:14:09

CrazyEddie

Because while Jk Howling was off getting a new hoe, someone else watered the dry planted carrot rows without sticking around to keep them from seeding.

#20 2018-12-20 17:33:54

Tarr
Banned

lionon wrote:

I don't get it, you say you cared for the carrots and all that, yet there were carrots seeding while their seeds would count toward clutter because you had enough seeds already.

Why the eve where they seeding when you cared for carrots?????

Because random person #4 decided they wanted to water a bunch of carrots but not pick them. The same reason mass amounts of carrots go to seed in the first place.

mrslax wrote:

If what they are doing is hurting the town, Like really hurting the town, talk to them and other people.  If things don't improve or get worst then shooting them in the face may be the best option for the town.

Some people won't learn without negative reinforcement and getting killed over something is a good reinforce lesson for their next life.

Basically this. There are some issues in game where you just have to kill the person doing what they're doing. If someone is shearing the last sheep I can sit down and explain to them why they cannot be doing this as it screws the whole town over when someone messes with the compost cycle. On the other hand, if someone is chopping the firemaking trees (junipers for example) I can't just stand around, especially if they're not stopping when I say something. Sometimes you just have to stab someone so they'll stop in their tracks while you explain.

I would much rather teach people to stop being silly than to stab them but somethings aren't fixable.

Greep wrote:

The fact you value carrots + carrot seeds so highly shows you haven't been playing this game too awful long. While yes, it can be annoying for someone to mess up the carrots more often than not what happens is people keep seeding carrots, picking said seeds, and then proceeding to seed another patch when growing more carrots. Clutter is a serious issue in this game and adding more and more to the city is a bad thing in the grand scheme. I personally will cart spare carrot seeds into a town dumping area because generally speaking the rows of dry carrots are more than enough to continue composting + get more seeds.

It's this weird thinking that ends up leading to those giant mutton biomes no one has ever wanted to clear out. It's okay to be suboptimal. No one in game is going to be doing 110% all the time. Instead of making a giant mess for some measly carrot seeds let the things despawn. I'd much rather have a clean work environment than to have to have a janitor come clear out all the town junk around my station.

I can even vouch for Jk being a great player, the fact she let you off after you messed up her work station is much nicer than most people would be. The fact you killed someone after YOU fucked up her work is just sad.

fug it’s Tarr.

#21 2018-12-20 17:50:10

CrazyEddie

I'm not sure the wheat and mutton biomes are preventable. Converting them to pies is constrained by the plate supply. But even if plates were infinitely available, the best you will do is convert 15 tiles (three wheat twelve mutton, loose) into one packed box. That's a big improvement but ultimately there's an imbalance - if the population isn't consuming four pies for every compost produced, the excess has to build up somewhere.

What with compost being used to make baskets, rope, saplings, trees, stew, burritos, etc. and what with having plenty to eat besides pies, there's gonna be an excess.

To get people to consume pies in proportion to compost usage you may have to destroy the berry field. Which seems appealing, but that leads to a famine among the children, and now you've lost a generation and killed the lineage.

#22 2018-12-20 17:53:12

Tarr
Banned

CrazyEddie wrote:

I'm not sure the wheat and mutton biomes are preventable. Converting them to pies is constrained by the plate supply. But even if plates were infinitely available, the best you will do is convert 15 tiles (three wheat twelve mutton, loose) into one packed box. That's a big improvement but ultimately there's an imbalance - if the population isn't consuming four pies for every compost produced, the excess has to build up somewhere.

What with compost being used to make baskets, rope, saplings, trees, stew, burritos, etc. and what with having plenty to eat besides pies, there's gonna be an excess.

To get people to consume pies in proportion to compost usage you may have to destroy the berry field. Which seems appealing, but that leads to a famine among the children, and now you've lost a generation and killed the lineage.

Cook the muttons, make the flour into bread. For whatever reason people think it's some sort of cardinal sin to cook and eat mutton when in reality it's another yum chain piece and removes some of the clutter away from the sheep pen. In the case of the excess threshed wheat make a dumping area near the bakery for whatever you can't/won't make into bread at the time being. If you have tons of the stuff I even recommend leaving it around for children just to get rid of some of the excess.

But yeah, it's not easy to prevent the amount of excess mutton + wheat but people working together can at the very least remove some of it from circulation.

fug it’s Tarr.

#23 2018-12-20 18:07:27

CrazyEddie

Kind of horrifying to think that you need to essentially waste food (produce it suboptimally) in order to keep the town from getting buried in raw meat, but yeah, I see your point.

An odd side effect of being very, very wealthy.

It's a good problem to have.

---

Off topic, I know, but anyway... It's weird that clothing and baskets and wooden carts decay but raw meat and grains don't. It might be nice for them to decay after, say, an hour, and add objects like a granary or storehouse or smoker so that you could stockpile them if you really wanted to (preferably in a somewhat compact manner).

Last edited by CrazyEddie (2018-12-20 18:25:16)

#24 2018-12-20 18:41:10

Sylverone

Yeah, I've noticed that the multiplication of food products actually seems quite generous. I've been hearing a lot of lines dying off with plenty of food to nocturnal infertility or griefers. You get a lot of food and product for that one sheep poop!

#25 2018-12-20 19:22:43

mrslax

Sylverone wrote:

Yeah, I've noticed that the multiplication of food products actually seems quite generous. I've been hearing a lot of lines dying off with plenty of food to nocturnal infertility or griefers. You get a lot of food and product for that one sheep poop!

For sheep, they don't poop enough and that's the best part from them.

Once the compost cycle is in full swing, idk if you can even wast food due to there is so much. If anything you need to waste food just to keep it going.

To 3 year old kid: hay, here is a pie, make more empty plates. that's your job now.

As long as the composting is a going, food is flowing

Board footer