One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-12-19 10:53:16

arkajalka

Re: Tarr's breeding machines

Ended up in one of these cells, and for sure can say it's annoyance. Death to all Tarr lineages!

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#27 2018-12-19 12:41:28

Tarr
Banned

arkajalka wrote:

Ended up in one of these cells, and for sure can say it's annoyance. Death to all Tarr lineages!

Rofl I'm glad to hear someone finally stole my gimmick and used the prisons. Best bet is just to swap servers if you ever get put into one of them/

fug it’s Tarr.

#28 2018-12-19 16:53:55

Ilka

It's really terrible. A very sick idea.
Hmmm .... do you realize, that some new players do not know how to enter another server?

#29 2018-12-20 05:59:52

Sylverone

I sure don't. Time for a PSA?

#30 2018-12-20 07:11:39

Jk Howling

How to join a different server:

Settings -> checkmark use custom server -> under Address type in server#.onehouronelife.com, with # being the number server you prefer. I'd suggest 2 or 3.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-12-20 07:11:55)

-Has ascended to better games-

#31 2018-12-20 08:33:37

Potjeh

This is cancer. Might as well be DDOSing the servers for all the good it does for the game.

#32 2018-12-20 16:48:53

Sylverone

Thanks Howling.

Overall I think this is funny and just another one of those things that crops up in the evolution of a dynamic game. Really reminds me of Dwarf Fortress, but I think that game - as much as it fascinates me - has a rather questionable community.

Essentially it amounts to limiting the choices of other players through force because you don't like the choices they might make. I can sympathize with the reasoning behind it somewhat, but it seems too selfish and not a recipe for community spirit. It's also a potential griefer tool.

I have a great idea. How about we invent the Matrix and just plug our most healthy people into it. It's okay to use them as breeding machines if they are sufficiently pampered, right? Anything else would be cruel. Or maybe we can use their brains as improved graphics cards... in the Cloud(tm)!

Hyperbole, of course, but this makes me a bit nervous at least. How would you guys respond to this type of treatment if you were new to the game? In the end, I guess people will decide what they think about it, and will curse or not accordingly. Seems fair enough, so I'm not that worried. If it really has a bad impact, I imagine Jason will do something about it.

#33 2018-12-20 17:10:16

lionon

As long there a lockable doors people may be locked in the game against their will... even if this unwalkable right side of tower thingy gets fixed.

I'd like to see the /die command working forever and always, being a "hearth attack" in the game, if you're fed up with being locked in and want to spawn a new life.

#34 2018-12-20 17:17:00

Tarr
Banned

Sylverone wrote:

Thanks Howling.

Overall I think this is funny and just another one of those things that crops up in the evolution of a dynamic game. Really reminds me of Dwarf Fortress, but I think that game - as much as it fascinates me - has a rather questionable community.

Essentially it amounts to limiting the choices of other players through force because you don't like the choices they might make. I can sympathize with the reasoning behind it somewhat, but it seems too selfish and not a recipe for community spirit. It's also a potential griefer tool.

I have a great idea. How about we invent the Matrix and just plug our most healthy people into it. It's okay to use them as breeding machines if they are sufficiently pampered, right? Anything else would be cruel. Or maybe we can use their brains as improved graphics cards... in the Cloud(tm)!

Hyperbole, of course, but this makes me a bit nervous at least. How would you guys respond to this type of treatment if you were new to the game? In the end, I guess people will decide what they think about it, and will curse or not accordingly. Seems fair enough, so I'm not that worried. If it really has a bad impact, I imagine Jason will do something about it.

Ideally when I make guides like these it's to bring attention to an issue (teleporters, writing on items, making prison cells, Pig Hands Syndrome) or for people to have fun with before Jason ends up patching it (how to write on items, how to active the jaundice emote without getting jaundice, making suicide booths, etc.) While yes, something like this has the ability to grief people I like to show the community all sorts of weird things we're able to do.

I really doubt Jason is going to allow us to keep making prisons especially with how they're currently made. If anything this will lead to him fixing the underlying issue (when on top of an impassible object you can only exit to the sides/north which is allowing people to make these prisons.) It's all these weird quirky things that make this game so great. Take a breather every now and again and just break the game.

lionon wrote:

As long there a lockable doors people may be locked in the game against their will... even if this unwalkable right side of tower thingy gets fixed.

I'd like to see the /die command working forever and always, being a "hearth attack" in the game, if you're fed up with being locked in and want to spawn a new life.

I think the difference is that if someone is locking you in a room you'll starve to death eventually. With these designs you're not supposed to be allowed to die or at least that's what I designed them for. There's no "if this" Jason will fix this bug as the idea of constructing a prison out of four blocks is completely divorced from reality. The idea that you wouldn't just walk south out of the cell or even north through the clearly open gap is just plain silly.

fug it’s Tarr.

#35 2018-12-20 17:30:31

Sylverone

Fair enough. As far as it getting fixed, hopefully it's not embedded too deep in the basic systems of the game. Can you continue building the device while they're stuck in it? "A monstrous fusion of man and lathe!"

#36 2018-12-20 17:39:13

Tarr
Banned

Sylverone wrote:

Fair enough. As far as it getting fixed, hopefully it's not embedded too deep in the basic systems of the game. Can you continue building the device while they're stuck in it? "A monstrous fusion of man and lathe!"

When testing other building material should an actual impassible object be placed under the player (adobe was used in the last test) the player became noninteractable. I believe continuing to make a machine in the area between the two pillars will just make the player starve to death as you won't be able to force feed them anymore.

I'm certain it shouldn't be too much work to fix this exploit as either Jason has to make newcomen blocks not create an invisible impassible area or fix the fact we cannot leave an impassible object by moving south. Either of those fixes the exploit as I cannot create a prison out of another other materials (to my knowing).

fug it’s Tarr.

#37 2019-01-29 06:32:57

wildgreen98

CrazyEddie wrote:
Tarr wrote:

I'll be trapping twins+ until Jason either decides to add a group curse function or newcomen blocks get fixed.

You just keep topping yourself.

Don't do this. You're preemptively destroying the game for people who have a legitimate and developer-supported use case, simply because of your perception that some unknown proportion of them are "griefers" - which, in your mind, is barely distinguishable from "new at the game".

Don't do this.

Ok dude take a breather. This is pretty funny and great ingenuity, no one's game is "ruined" when they can EASILY switch servers or quit and re spawn. It's all a part of the roll playing fun and seeing what weird things you can do in-game. You can't dictate how other people should play the game "morally"

#38 2019-01-29 10:57:18

Alias

How can new players "EASILY switch servers or quit and re spawn". They usually don't fiddle with settings or use mod - they are new.

#39 2019-01-29 11:35:39

Tarr
Banned

wildgreen98 wrote:

Ok dude take a breather. This is pretty funny and great ingenuity, no one's game is "ruined" when they can EASILY switch servers or quit and re spawn. It's all a part of the roll playing fun and seeing what weird things you can do in-game. You can't dictate how other people should play the game "morally"

Glad you like the idea. I always make these sort of posts whenever I find some weird game mechanic that can be abused in the game such as teleporters, writing on objects, custom emotes, or in this case prisons. I make these as sort of a red flag for Jason so he knows stuff like this needs fixed but I figure it's fun for the community to great to play around with all the weird and broken stuff. At the very least making a newcomen prison is good for a starvation cell since children can't escape or do anything.

Alias wrote:

How can new players "EASILY switch servers or quit and re spawn". They usually don't fiddle with settings or use mod - they are new.

That's why you explain to them how to do it. Obviously now that we're all on one server something like this is a bigger issue which is why I directly reminded Jason of it today. Where as before this could be used for a gimmick lineage saver instead I would put it into a griefing category as you essentially stop a person from playing the game for up to an hour.

fug it’s Tarr.

#40 2019-01-29 11:58:43

Alias

Let's face it: it was always griefing. Someone was born into nice place when they wanted to play? Nope. In some ways it's even worse than straight murdering them.

#41 2019-01-29 21:52:34

apereason

images were deleted but I want to do this. Repost?

Board footer