One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-08 01:02:11

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Update: Black Gold

bG4Ogmu.gif

"And then one day he was shootin' at some food,  and up through the ground come a bubblin' crude.  Oil that is.  Black gold.  Texas tea."  Californy here we come!

My father was an oil man.  At least he tried to be, for a while.  When I was young, he invested in a local oil exploration company in Ohio.  Everyone in the family got free ball caps with the drilling outfit's logo.  I remember climbing up the steps on the side of a huge oil tank, where he wrenched open the porthole cover and we peered inside as the oil poured in.  Was a sight!  And more importantly, what a smell!  With tiny me perched up there by his side, my father reached his arm down inside with an empty peanut butter jar and filled her up directly from the gushing pump stream.  (What the hell was he thinking?)  That jar sat---and settled---on his office desk for many years.  Sludge would be a naive appraisal of what was in that jar.  Brown sludge.  A reminder of an investment in oil that never turned a profit.

But your investment in oil will turn a profit!

The more time you spend around crude oil, the more trouble you will have believing that people actually used to rub this noxious stuff on their bodies as a medicine.

But what about the very best stuff?  Light, sweet crude, with a very low sulfur content---really top notch.  If you're brave enough to take a sip, it actually tastes sweet.

So you want that oil.  But oil prospecting and refining requires a lot of equipment along the way.  And that's why this update is one of the largest and most complicated in the history of the game so far.  Machines galore.

But when you finally see that black plume shoot toward the sky, you too will dream of striking oil before you die.

#2 2018-12-08 01:34:06

lowdt

Re: Update: Black Gold

wow!

#3 2018-12-08 03:55:09

GreatShawn

ANd that is how pollution and china starts...

#4 2018-12-08 04:19:23

Baker

I'm glad to see some more complex crafting, I always wondered what machines would be like. It is sorta weird that we're using  oil but still have use clay kilns, ovens, baskets, and loincloths. Cities are such a mix of low and high tech.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#5 2018-12-08 06:29:46

lionon

GreatShawn wrote:

ANd that is how pollution and china starts...

Next global warming in OHOL smile

#6 2018-12-08 08:03:41

Lily

It is kind of crazy that we jumped that far ahead, though we can't of always jumped around with technology, just getting whatever Jason thought was cool at the moment. I suspect more low tech stuff will come around later too.

This is actually pretty complicated looking, so I suspect it wont be too commonly build.

#7 2018-12-08 11:45:04

gabal

Well, it will give us a goal after compost gets going and food gets abundant.

#8 2018-12-08 16:32:46

tana

Lily wrote:

It is kind of crazy that we jumped that far ahead, though we can't of always jumped around with technology, just getting whatever Jason thought was cool at the moment. I suspect more low tech stuff will come around later too.

This is actually pretty complicated looking, so I suspect it wont be too commonly build.

I know right ? it's crazy to think we have steam and gasoline powered engine, but still no basic irrigation system lol
#where'smyshadufsystem?

I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

#9 2018-12-08 20:29:51

BladeWoods

Maybe machinery upgrade to iron mine next that takes oil for fuel?

#10 2018-12-09 03:51:17

mikekchar

To be honest, the thing I would personally like most is a bit more balance with clothes (and maybe automated ways of making clothes).  At the moment, it's kind of hit or miss with the clothes because the biomes are so small.  You can overheat easily.  It would be nice to have clothes that were more versatile so that there was more incentive to make them.  Also, it's relatively difficult to make clothes, which I think is fine in the early game, but by the time you have an industrial society, I think that clothes should be the norm (especially if you are walking around in cold biomes).  One of the biggest automation efforts IRL were the cotton mills, and then later the automated looms.  Especially as a programmer, I have a real soft spot for things like the Jacquard loom and would love to see them come in to the game.

And speaking of power, I'm curious about the movement from wood to charcoal to oil.  So far no wind or water power (and no way to make canals... hmmm).  These things were the really dominant power generation methods before coal and then oil took over.  It's kind of unfortunate that the labour involved in using wheat, for instance is largely glossed over.  I would be nice to make wheat difficult to transform into flour by hand, but give greater yields, etc if you are doing it with power.

#11 2018-12-12 09:47:39

gabal

I mean, we don't have any running water or even any water source bigger then a pond so that makes some of those things really hard to do.

Board footer