One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-12 14:26:18

PastaFasta55

Centralized Optimal Farming Discussion Thread

Yeah the last thread I made was just supposed to be the best ratio for carrots and nothing else, but the replies got off the topic of carrot farming and more about general optimized farming as a whole.
So here's a dedicated thread for that.

Gathering-Orientated Farms.
This will be a section the relies on farms based off collecting from nearby resources rather than balancing resource consumption at the farm itself.
This includes:
Gathering carrot seeds from Savannas/Prairies.
Gathering berries from wild gooseberry bushes.
Gathering reeds from swamps.

If the goal of these farms is raw food production for consumption, i.e. people eating raw carrots and berries.
Then maintaining ratios need not apply.
As carrot seeds can be collected, there is no soil consumption and so no soil production needs to be constantly working.

However if the goal of these farm is to provide high end food (pies).
Maintaining compost production is necessary to provide soil for wheat.
However if there is enough wild gooseberry bushes then there also need not any ratios.

Long term I see farms like this shifting to a more localized approach as you cannot expand nearby resources.

Localized ratio-orientated farms. (the meaty bits)
These farms minimally rely on nearby resources to fuel their production, rather steadily balancing production and consumption of their farms to ensure they never run a deficit.
Now production can be divided into four categories, each with their own consumption and production rates.

Carrot production: Components are carrot plots and seed plots. Produces carrots and carrot seeds. Consumes soil and water.
Soil production: Components are DGB+compost plots and wheat plots. Produces soil, raw berries and wheat. Consumes water.

Also I'm going to add two more categories in case there's a shortage of supply in the final product of this industry (pies).

Sole wheat production: (Components are wheat plots. Produces wheat and straw. Consumes soil and water.
Sole berry production: (Components are DGB plots. Produces berries. Consumes water.

Keep in mind the production of pies is also helped by the textile industry which supplies raw rabbit as a waste product, but since raw rabbit is from external sources it will not be included in this section.

Calculation of Production rate, Consumption rates and optimal plot ratios for Localized ratio-orientated farms.
As a preface I'm switching over to hourly rates so we deal with less integers and see the greater picture of production.

Carrot production:
As calculated in the previous thread:
Carrot plot to Seed Plot ratio = 4.444...:1 (40/9:1 in rational number form)

A single dedicated seed plot can provide for a maximum of 4 carrot plots without running a deficit of carrot seeds.
However In the previous thread I forgot to include the seed consumption from seed plots themselves. (they produce 10 minus the one that you use to replenish them)

Production and consumption rates:
I'll calculate two sets of of rates, one for 4:1 ratio and the other for the ideal 4.444...:1 ratio.
Carrot production consists of two things, carrot plots and seed plots.
While on the outside they seem rather similar, a carrot plot consumes more water than a seed plot does because it's cycle is much shorter.
But let the Maths speak for itself.
Again I'll be using this helpful tool made by Kaze.

Actually here's a link to a google docs sheet since I'm too lazy to write up all the calculations in text, check this document for calculations.
Anyway here's the results.

4:1 Carrot to seed plot ratio production:
+300 Carrots per hour
0 Carrot Seeds per hour
-66.666... Water per hour
-6.666... Soil per hour

4.444...:1 Carrot to seed plot ratio production:
+333.333... Carrots per hour
-6.666... Carrot Seeds per hour
-73.333... Water per hour
-6.666... Soil per hour

Wait 4.444...:1 is running a seed deficit?
That's right, in the previous thread I forgot to factor in seed plots consume seeds themselves, so 4:1 actually breaks even.

Soil Production:
Remember you can use reeds instead of straw to produce soil.
You only need 4 berries on a bush to get a bowl of gooseberries.
Domestic gooseberry bushes replenish all at once, while wild ones replenish 1 berry every 10 mins, to a maximum of six for each.
Go use the results for sole berry production if you want to use reed instead of straw, add water rate and time for compost then you're done.

Making soil from a domestic gooseberry bush(DGB) is fickle.
DGBs not not gradually replenish berries like their wild counterpart, when they mature you get a full 6 berries, when the bush is empty they need water to regrow, this allows you to pick two berries for eating/seeds before using the rest for a bowl.
And the cycle for a DGB is an hour.
Add the 4 mins for compost to cycle and you're looking at 64 minutes.
So since the cycle time for DGBs is the bottleneck I'm going to bulk compost with their process, since you don't need to dedicate a plot to compost or be constantly composting like you do for crops.
Wheat plots have a solid 6 minute cycle time.
Remember you can harvest as many wheat seeds from ripe wheat as you want, which is why I haven't included it in the calculations.

I used a wheat plot as a baseline as it provides the 'seeds' for compost in the form of straw.
A DBG+compost plot consumes straw at a rate of 0.9375 straw per hour
A Wheat plot produces straw at a rate of 10 straw per hour
10/0.9375=10.666... DGBs per wheat plot.

10:1 DGB+compost to Wheat plot ratio production:
+18.125 Soil per hour
+18.75 Berries per hour
-28.75 Water per hour
-9.375 Carrots per hour
+0.625 Straw per hour
+10 Wheat per hour

10.666...:1 DGB+compost to Wheat plot ratio production:
+20 Soil per hour
+20 Berries per hour
-30 Water per hour
-10 Carrots per hour
0 Straw per hour
+10 Wheat per hour

10.666... to 1 is ideal but I don't think people are going to plant 96 DGBs and 10 Wheat plots just so they don't get extra straw.
Plus the excess straw can be used for baskets.

Sole Berry Production:
Delicious delicous gooseberries.
This of course assumes you don't waste soil by letting the DGB die.
Cycle time = 1 hour
+6 berries per hour
-1 Water per hour
Simple.
Remember you can take two berries off for eating or seeding then use the remaining 4 to get a bowl of gooseberries.

Sole Wheat production:
If you need that extra Wheat for pies.
Remember you can collect an infinite number of wheat seeds from ripe wheat.
Also you can make baskets from excess straw.
+10 Straw per hour
+10 Wheat per hour
-10 Water per hour
-10 Soil per hour
That's a lot of soil for one plot.

Again here's a link to a google doc I made for this so you can review my calculation and also download it yourself to edit and mess around with ratios.

So now that we have the production and consumption rates for each area of farming, we can balance them to ensure we don't run a deficit.
And it's not too hard.
A single Carrot production setup produces +300 carrots an hour, more than enough to supply the -9.375 Carrots per hour a Soil Production setup requires.
And the +18.125 Soil per hour a Soil Production setup produces is more than enough to supply the -6.666... Soil per hour a Carrot Production setup requires.
Since Carrots, Berries and Wheat are the end products of this industry, we just need to minimise our soil excess.
18.125/(60/9)=2.71875 Carrot Production Setups per Soil Production Setup.
Round that down to 2:1 Carrot Production per Soil production and you've got some excess soil to expand, till you run out of water.
Total water consumption from a 2:1 carrot to soil production is:
2*-66.666...-28.75 Water per hour = -162.08333... water per hour.
Assuming Ponds refil at a rate of 12 water per hour you need 14 ponds to maintain production.

That's all I have to say, if you read through it all, then thanks.
Discuss! Critque! Tear me apart from all the mistakes I've inevitbly made along the way!

#2 2018-03-12 16:50:32

ned

Re: Centralized Optimal Farming Discussion Thread

14 ponds per hour? Sheesh. I got 5.5 ponds per hour (66 water per hour, as you can just use 3 reeds per hour for composting, which minimizes water consumption). I suppose this doesn't factor in pies and the like.
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=476

Well buenos-ding-dong-doodly-dias!

Board footer