One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-06 05:38:16

BladeWoods

Having 0 daughters is a major problem

I was the only girl in a town. I proceed to have two sons. That's it. ZERO DAUGHTERS. I didn't even get to have a daughter who suicided, I had zero daughters and a civilization that had no reason to end ended cause the spawn algorithm is stupid. One son ran off, but one son grew up well. If only he was a GIRL.

How many civs are ended like this? At no fault to the player, all the work you do is for nothing. Town dies. I know every town dies, but I at least want my work to help out the very next generation and for towns to die for a reason, and not just sit there for an hour in loneliness.

Last edited by BladeWoods (2018-12-06 05:41:26)

#2 2018-12-06 05:57:53

Floofy

Re: Having 0 daughters is a major problem

i 100% agree with you. I'd estimate 95% of the more advanced civs are ended because of this, and 5% because of actual iron shortage... and 5% is generous. Civs should end because the game is brutally difficult, not because of dumb rng.

#3 2018-12-06 07:00:36

lionon

BladeWoods wrote:

How many civs are ended like this?

All of them? Well not so drastic like this, but maybe one or two daughters that turn out to be too stupid to put food in their mouth.

Also just was in a town that was brimming with food. Lots of free backpacks (due to playerbase going down I guess)... and all dudes, just 1 girl. They didn't die of yet. But as I died she was nearing 40 and the one girl she had was sudden infant death...

#4 2018-12-06 07:57:10

Tramax

lionon wrote:

the one girl she had was sudden infant death...

giphy.gif

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

#5 2018-12-06 07:59:38

alphabetter

yeah i just lost a city bc i was the only girl, and had five boys. well, technically three, as one had decided to retry to come back in the family as a girl, but just came back as another boy, and one had sids. i stood on an even tile, ate when i got hungry, and had clothes on the ready to give to any girl i had to spoil her and insist she stay. but i didnt have any. which sucks, bc that city just died, full of food, at least six stacks of iron on the ready, clothes everywhere... and just no girls.

i used to name my kids alphabetically. now i just... dont play anymore.

#6 2018-12-06 08:37:51

lionon

alphabetter wrote:

yeah i just lost a city bc i was the only girl, and had five boys. well, technically three, as one had decided to retry to come back in the family as a girl, but just came back as another boy, and one had sids. i stood on an even tile, ate when i got hungry, and had clothes on the ready to give to any girl i had to spoil her and insist she stay. but i didnt have any. which sucks, bc that city just died, full of food, at least six stacks of iron on the ready, clothes everywhere... and just no girls.

I guess we're talking about the same lineage. That was me:
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=2262304

I killed myself off by running away naked at the age of 50. Seems Desean actually had yet a daughter just after I went of afterall.  But next generation all the same again:

From the view of Eve:
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=2262304

Final lineagecide by 5 nephews in a row at the end....

As my Great Great Niece (is I guess you) said on her death bed, this was a boring life. Drowning in resources yet to be wiped nevertheless by the Y chromosome disaster.

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-06 09:26:33)

#7 2018-12-06 09:26:11

Three

In real life can you controll if you get a girl or a boy? No i thought so.

#8 2018-12-06 09:27:39

lionon

Three wrote:

Well but it's a game and not real life after all. And nobody asked to get a in game decision/control.

BTW: with today technology, yes you could.

#9 2018-12-06 09:32:45

Alias

lionon wrote:
Three wrote:

Please, elaborate big_smile

#10 2018-12-06 09:41:50

lionon

Alias wrote:
lionon wrote:
Three wrote:

in vitro fertilization

#11 2018-12-06 09:57:36

MultiLife

lionon wrote:
Alias wrote:
lionon wrote:

in vitro fertilization

You can even select healthy sperm cells to avoid genetic diseases and fertilize an egg cell. People don't know this?

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-12-06 09:59:13)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#12 2018-12-06 10:13:34

MultiLife

This topic tends to pop in commonly. Due to this being a game, I wouldn't mind some logic in the birthing system.
Yesterday I was a child for two different Eves that popped out 13 kids, while someone somewhere gets 0, or maybe 1. The thing in this game is that we can't select when we are trying to get a child and when we are not, that's something we could decide in real life. We do have infertility in real life though, so even when trying, we may not get a child. But, in real life males and females are equal in producing offspring, when in the game they are not. I still wish they could be equal but it'd probably end even more lines.

I have accepted that everything ends anyways (before updates all mothers start birthing males btw) and even if it is bad RNG it still would've ended sooner or later; gen 6, gen 12, gen 25, I don't care personally, which is why I don't fight for this cause. We just gotta leave the reviving to new Eves when the game is like this. RNG is part of the game in many infuriating ways, but sometimes just accepting the 'flaws' can help you reach a different attitude. It all ends anyways, may it feel unfair or not.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#13 2018-12-06 10:40:54

Sasooli

Three wrote:

No, but in real life people don't reproduce asexually either. There's a balance between realism and what makes for good gameplay, so just because something isn't totally realistic doesn't necessarily mean it's not a good idea.

#14 2018-12-06 10:41:24

JonySky
Website

I have been eve with 0 boys or girls, nobody was born ... That's sad ... I was preparing a camp totally alone for 60 minutes .... Yesterday I was born in several lineages where there were no girls, only children .. Logically they became extinct ... There is also the typical case that only 1 or 2 females are born and they commit suicide as soon as they leave ... Working hours are destroyed in 5 seconds...

#15 2018-12-06 12:06:19

Alias

MultiLife wrote:
lionon wrote:
Alias wrote:

in vitro fertilization

You can even select healthy sperm cells to avoid genetic diseases and fertilize an egg cell. People don't know this?

Can you? I know you can test and select embrio when it's already developing, but not sperm. Are you sure about what you said? Anyway, I guess it's a complete off-topic.

#16 2018-12-06 12:17:43

gabal

I guess you were placed on low-pop server at the off-peak hours so new players joined other servers. It was really common before steam release...

#17 2018-12-06 13:05:29

Booklat1

Towns dying to lack of girls is a legit threat to civilizations and I don't think we should change this.

Small civs should die because of dumb shit, that's why they're small civs not an empire. In bigger cities this is much more of an issue, I believe, but bells help counter that a bit. Also having skilled players eve chaining can save cities on the brink of death.

The other day I chained into the bell town of server one and rang the bell. My family died to no girls quite soonish but some lady and her daughter got there thanks to the bell and their line lived some 20 more gens after that. Back when cassino town existed it could b revived by it's nearby settlements, so having satellite villages also helps.

#18 2018-12-06 13:10:36

Hiker170

My fave today was I had a total of seven boys in a row, they all worked hard, but man was it disheartening. One of them had even found a town so we were deciding on whether or not to move. Then I realised that there was no food on the ground and there I was frantically running around only to see when I died that all of it had been packed up in the cart for the move to the town.

I feel a lot of the problem is more player population then actually chance, I mean maybe if the chances of a female were higher when at much lower server populations it would be nice otherwise it will forever be spawning into lost and forgotten towns, with clutter everywhere and random missing plants.

#19 2018-12-06 14:02:00

alphabetter

the life in question was in fact me, and I literally just spent 25 minutes in the berry field, on a perf temp spot, and it made me so mad I wasted my time honestly. so im sorry if the rest of this post comes across as mean or rude, but I had three separate lines die tonight bc i was the last girl, I stood on the perf temp tile for 25 mins each time, and got no girls, so im a LIL pissed about it. please don't take it too personally.

to those of you that say it would mess with the way the game is made... I love this game, but it's so FRUSTRATING to be the last girl, to spend 25 minutes of my time irl, just. sitting. in one fucking spot. with a perfect temperature, eating as soon as needed. just to get all boys, or a girl who sids, or NOTHING.

I'm playing this game to have fun during the time I put into it, not waste an hour knowing that I might as well have not played bc i just had to sit there existing and eating food, and even then me sitting there was useless, because the line died anyways! what the hell is the point? why would I keep playing a game that means my time is wasted and completely useless? why would I recommend this game to my friends, when it's starting to feel like Eating Simulator instead of a civilisation builder?

everyone can say 'oh but cities have to die at some point!' but ya know what's a good city ender? bears, or iron shortage, or someone not doing compost, or griefers fucking things up, or something that simply isn't boiling down to, welp, you played at the wrong time of day, and the two players you got were both boys, sorry. that's not fun. this does not make a fun game. it makes me not want to play, or have my friends join me with the game, cause what's the point? the city's gonna die due to lack of girls anyways, regardless of how far you get.

#20 2018-12-06 14:14:45

PsyKick

But you gotta think, just imagine if you were a mother and you tried to have a baby, you might expect a girl but you'll get a boy instead. This could happen over and over again and it's just random chance. I think it adds some cool factors in the game, such as an eve finding an abandoned civilization and rebuilding it. Lack of girls is just one of the many ways this game is made realistic.

#21 2018-12-06 14:28:13

lionon

PsyKick wrote:

Lack of girls is just one of the many ways this game is made realistic.

Can you be more historically specific? As far as I know, there is only one civilization that killed themselves off for good and that was the Easter Island and not because of no girls, but because they ruined their environment for religious purposes until the island could not sustain them any longer.

If there was a time where humanity was reduced to a handful females then this was way in the beginning of stone age.

PS: "Eves", "realistic", "immaculate conception" having to resist to make a sarcastic comment...

#22 2018-12-06 14:35:42

alphabetter

ya know what isn't realistic about this game tho? yum bonuses. asexual reproduction. lack of food rot. curses, and donkey town. all wounds being major and life threatening without outside assistance. newborns being able to run the speed of adults. infants being able to choose their lives by sidsing. the complete lack of a pregnancy mechanic that isn't just a birth cool down. and the eve spawn mechanic with respawning into a dead town after living to sixty.  this game is not 100% realistic. like. at all.

but heck, even just slightly adjusting the odds so that at low player hours, there's a slight better chance of an entire line not ending bc you played at the wrong hour would be NICE. I'm not even trying to say that every single woman ever should have a daughter. but it's not fun to play a life as the last woman, during nocturnal low times, and know from the age of 15 you're not getting a daughter, but youre probably gonna waste 25 minutes of your time sitting around and hoping against hope anyways. maybe something like a fruit tgat increases your odds up to 10% for your next kid to be a girl could be added, bc otherwise, I'm just gonna have to quit playing until the player base is so big that nocturnal lulls isn't almost always a 100% line killer

#23 2018-12-06 14:45:13

lionon

To make a concrete suggestion, odds of male/female should be based on family alive below 40. If there are more boys than females alive, the more likely it would balance and vice versa.

PS: For the realism talkers, this ain't even unrealistic. As to why is there in almost all species with sexual division the distribution about 50/50? Because being the rarer sex is a major evolutionary advantage that thus will soon even out.

#24 2018-12-06 14:51:58

Booklat1

lionon wrote:

PS: For the realism talkers, this ain't even unrealistic. As to why is there in almost all species with sexual division the distribution about 50/50? Because being the rarer sex is a major evolutionary advantage that thus will soon even out.

I'd love to see where you took this from

Honestly, people, I think what we need is not to change the random factor of births but to add more ways for early civs to communicate. I have been eve chaining for days and reviving towns (mostly bell town in server one), and it isn't so hard for a civ with a bell to be revived because not only eves might spawn there, but people will walk when the bell rings. If more cities had ways of drawing attention from nearby eves/lost people and more players delved into eveing we'd see a lot of places escaping extinction.

Last edited by Booklat1 (2018-12-06 14:52:39)

#25 2018-12-06 15:32:02

lionon

Booklat1 wrote:

I'd love to see where you took this from

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher%27s_principle

Board footer